It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

X37-B: 631 days in orbit and counting... Wow!

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 08:09 AM
link   
a reply to: buddha

.....USSR?

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 08:17 AM
link   
I'd be curious to know if in addition to forming crystalline optics in zero G for land based scopes, if they were also playing with liquid mercury reflectors for use in space based spy sats.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 12:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58
a reply to: cmdrkeenkid

At the same time, they're developing new optics while it's up there. Some incredible things that are going to revolutionize optics as we know it. We may finally get to read license plates from orbit, or newspaper headlines.

I thought it wasn't going to be pointed down ... but outwards ... ?

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 12:38 PM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom

It won't be, but that was the best example I could give for what it was going to do for optics.

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 12:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Sammamishman

Almost certainly.

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 11:06 AM
link   
Imagine doing a flyby of an opposition satellite. Drop a couple of micro satellites to attach to it. Then proceed on. Done properly they don't you are there. Then if needs be all sorts of mischief can be done. Doesn't have to be done today. Putting these little critters on all of the oppositions devices means they could be taken out of action at will. Pure consternation as their satellites drop out of orbit or communication with no signs of any launch taking them out.
Other approaches abound with this capability.
Challenge for those good with orbital mechanics. Can an impact be set up to cascade across multiple satellites and leave your own intact?

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 02:28 PM
link   
a reply to: datasdream

| Challenge for those good with orbital mechanics. Can an impact be set up to cascade across multiple satellites and leave your own intact?

No, not reliably. Any breakup is unpredictable.

It's likely more valuable for a parasite satellite to collect information and then, in hostilities, jam communications. Kinetic action is unpredictable and risky and confrontational.

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 12:59 AM
link   
The key to figuring out if X-37B is just testing/researching is to examine why the Space Fence was switched off on September 1st 2013.

I heard it wasn't costing very much to run the Space Fence per month and the benefits massively outweighed the marginal cost.

So, was it switched off purely because of the sequestration, or because somebody (I saw a video on TV of a guy that had figured out how to do it) was using the Space Fence itself to track the position of X-37B?

IF the Space Fence was switched off because they didn't it being used as a tool for tracking the X-37B, then its not just hanging around up there running experiments or performing durability tests.

It has always been described as a robotic space vehicle, so it was designed for physical manipulation of objects in space. I think that gives us enough of a clue for its usage.

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 01:33 AM
link   
a reply to: KissMyWookiee

Sure, it can "manipulate objects" -- but why does that infer that it is messing around with foreign satellites? Perhaps it's manipulating whatever it is "testing".

A weapon mission, or a mission of recon or infiltration of a foreign satalite would be so closely compartmentalized that we wouldn't even know about the craft.

They have ways of launching objects into LEO without the public knowing, sea-based launches for one. They wouldn't need to utilize Vanderburg or any other conventional launch facility for a top secret program.

I think it is interesting you linked this to the space fence. Perhaps the two are related...but not in the way you have hypothesized?

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 03:38 AM
link   

Except that there is a new Space Fence system starting up. It was shut down because of money.

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 10:45 AM
link   
Lockheed just released some videos yesterday. Interesting timing in relation to our conversation about possible optics testing aboard the X-47b. In the video they tout their ability to test optical systems and support structures both hardware and software before it ever leaves the ground.

edit on 10-9-2014 by Sammamishman because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 10:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: spoonbender
a reply to: Riffrafter

simply answer
it's spying

its a mini shuttle...
with no astronuts to keep hush

That's the most logical answer to me too, gotta keep uptodate with the Russians and Chinese

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 11:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58
a reply to: Orwells Ghost

Oh crap! We were supposed to speculate? Dammit!

In that case it's developing an antigravity drive in orbit!
That's a nice one Lol.
Its probably spying or keeping an eye on alien ufos

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 12:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Nochzwei

How is that possible when they look like the average jet spewing asteroids-comets or PLUTO moons

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 12:36 PM
link   
a reply to: spoonbender

I think they want to replace the space program. Instead of having a few large vehicles they focus on having many small vehicles.

Imagine a fleet of these things that can have a military application by filling some roles of a fighter/bomber.

edit on 9 10 2014 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 04:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: MystikMushroom
A weapon mission, or a mission of recon or infiltration of a foreign satalite would be so closely compartmentalized that we wouldn't even know about the craft.

They have ways of launching objects into LEO without the public knowing, sea-based launches for one. They wouldn't need to utilize Vanderburg or any other conventional launch facility for a top secret program.

The best way to hide something is in plain sight - plausible deniability and all that.

"A lie is best concealed between two truths".

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 07:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Don't they already grow them on the ISS?

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 07:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Laxpla

Not for military use. The ones grown on the station are for NASA and civilian use.

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 07:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

...and probably no where near as sophisticated?

Oh well, at least we're getting the James Webb telescope. That'll be a step up from Hubble.

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 07:40 PM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom

Oh yeah. It'll be a couple steps up from Hubble.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join