It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

X37-B: 631 days in orbit and counting... Wow!

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 10:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

But in seriousness, what sort of adaptive optics would they be using? Do they have something on board that doesn't need the laser beam? Or are there ground stations that act in a similar fashion as guide stars so no laser beam is needed?

Sorry for double post, not sure how to edit from my phone.
edit on 9/3/2014 by cmdrkeenkid because: figured out how to edit from the phone! fixed some autocorrect errors.

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 10:28 PM
link   

You forgot to shake your fist. Also, I think those dang kids are in your lawn again.

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 10:31 PM
link   
a reply to: XCrissCrossX

So, you think they are making better space (eye) balls??

Sorry, couldn't help myself

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 10:33 PM
link   
a reply to: cmdrkeenkid

It's a new field of optics, using liquid optics as a start. There are a couple new things they're trying out that would be at best extremely difficult to do in a gravity field, if they were even possible to do. A couple of years in orbit lets them try several things in one flight instead of trying something, working it out and waiting for another flight to try something new.

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 10:34 PM
link   

I can't shake it right now because of a muscle strain. I'll shake my walker at them after I get back in shape from that.

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 10:39 PM
link   

So are you talking about liquid crystal tunable filters? Because doesn't NASA already have something like that up there in the EO-1 satellite? Or am I barking up the wrong tree?

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 10:39 PM
link   

I truly want to hear about this.
Sorry about the space balls thing, I couldn't stop my fingers.

What on earth are they trying to see? They can already see and hear it all. Has it become so intrusive they must know the headline and text? Really?

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 10:41 PM
link   

No, this is something slightly different. It's more refined, using a new method of optics.

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 10:42 PM
link   
a reply to: XCrissCrossX

It's for ground based optics looking up. You have to manufacture it in space, but you can use it on the ground. It'll let them get a much better look at satellites in orbit to determine if they're an antisatellite weapon, or an optical satellite, etc. As well as looking up for small pieces of debris, as part of the Space Fence mission.

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 10:45 PM
link   

If it's for use the ground, how are they testing it in space? Or are they just testing the formation of the optics device up there? Just trying to clear up my confusion.

Is it crystal related at all? Or graphene?
edit on 9/3/2014 by cmdrkeenkid because: added in additional question.

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 10:50 PM
link   

The formation of the optics has to take place in orbit. Gravity tends to distort things just a little bit, so by making the optics in zero G it is a much more pure optical system.

I'm not sure on all the details of it, but I believe it's crystal based.

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 10:55 PM
link   
If they sent a satalight over USSR.
they would see it and shoot it.

but if they sent a small drone
that is totaly silent. they donnt see it.

it sends a laser signal to the x-ship.
they can use small silent drones to atatch
spy packages to satellites and small bombs.

USSR and others need to add defencs systems to satellites.
to stop small space drones.

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 10:55 PM
link   

I know more delta v would be required, but why not get it out to one of the Lagrange Points then? It'd be away from prying eyes as well as in an even more gravitationally neutral position.

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 11:01 PM
link   

They found with the shuttle that even LEO was good enough to do what they needed. All they really need is a reduction in the gravity to smooth the flaws out.

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 11:27 PM
link   
It's a movable observation platform, plain and simple.

People forget that satellites orbit and course corrections like remaining on station are not designed into there plans and doing so uses up the precious maneuvering fuel they need to have as there orbit naturally decays over time.

With the X37, when it needs more fuel - it lands and refuels.
edit on 3-9-2014 by circuitsports because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2014 @ 11:39 PM
link   
a reply to: circuitsports

It's a lot more than that.

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 01:17 AM
link   
Most likely have had it, done it, used for the last 35 years. Not necissarally the same craft, but one with the same capabilities.Go NASA! Yeah!

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 02:11 AM
link   
The most aggressive approach would be a wholesale exchange of hostile satellites for replicas, a "swap".

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 06:22 AM
link   
a reply to: buddha

We send satellites over Russia, China, and our allies every day. Most of them reciprocate that with us and each other by use of their own satellites.

Shooting down functional satellites in stable orbits is typically frowned upon. Plus, it would create a lot of debris which would affect damn near every other satellite in one way or another.

posted on Sep, 4 2014 @ 06:24 AM
link   
a reply to: FlyingFox

If we could build spec for spec copies of their satellites, with the same functionality, that operated within the same capacity it would mean we have a strong, dedicated, and undetected spy ring on the ground. At that point, we wouldn't even need to manipulate the satellites.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join