It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Video shows police shot Ohio man ‘on sight’ as he leaned on toy gun in Walmart

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 01:37 PM
link   
a reply to: RedParrotHead

If your first example turns out to be the case, then that should have been a clear indication that it wasn't a real gun, or at least an unloaded gun at best.

In order for your second example to be the case, the guy would had to have been about 3 feet tall.

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 01:38 PM
link   
It might not be a great idea to stand around talking on a phone a fooling around with a real or what appears to be a real firearm.

The police reaction is certainly overboard if it happened as the non police persons there stated.

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 02:33 PM
link   
The police need to be responsible to pay $10,000 for every bullet that they fire at a human being.

That will stop all this nonsense.

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 02:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: RedParrotHead
here's the toy gun on Walmart.com

More like a replica, so I can see someone fooled by it...the black version looks even more realistic IMO. Not sure what color this guys was playing with when he got shot & killed.

a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

Not buying it. ALL toy guns have flourescent orange tips now. Have for last couple years. Airguns too. Cops know they are toys by this distinct feature. Not Buying it AT ALL.

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 03:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: ArchPlayer

More like a replica, so I can see someone fooled by it...the black version looks even more realistic IMO. Not sure what color this guys was playing with when he got shot & killed.

Not buying it. ALL toy guns have flourescent orange tips now. Have for last couple years. Airguns too. Cops know they are toys by this distinct feature. Not Buying it AT ALL.
It's a BB gun, not a toy gun!

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 03:42 PM
link   
For god sake,
Stop the cops!

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Never never let a cop in a gun show.....

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 03:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic
Not until we demand that the PD all over the US are required to have badge cams or body cams to record their behavior. As a group, they have proven that they are not doing their jobs. Instead, they are on a crime spree across the nation. They are a self-regulating, government-supported gang of murderers. These cops clearly tried to cover what they KNEW was cold-blooded murder, by shouting, "Get on the ground" AFTER they had shot the victim.

And people wonder why we need more laws in some cases. THIS is why. We need to hold our cops accountable for their actions.

Completely agree. Couldn't have said it better.

edit on 27-8-2014 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 03:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Snarl

The marine wasn't fooled.

Sounds suspect. The story put 'some' focus on the caller. The caller has a great deal of responsibility in this.

ETA: Here's the guy's interview. Link

No doubt. I hadn't seen this before.

Wow. Disgusting.

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Cops wearing cameras is like asking the fat kid who loves cookies to guard the cookie jar.

If that's the direction things are gong to go (I think they will because of public outrcy) then the following needs to happen:

1. If the camera is tampered with in any way or turned "off" during an incident, the officer should immediately be terminated.

2. All video is to be downloaded at the station at the end of each shift and transmitted to a non-biased 4th party, overseen by a 3rd party to keep it ethical.

3. Requests to view footage for defense attorneys and prosecutors should be honored with in 24 hours of the request, no stupid "lost footage" or red tape.

The cops will get cameras, but magically I see the video being "lost" or tampered with.

I think that just like jury duty, random citizens should get called to "review" an officer's yearly record -- including all dash cam footage. The officer would be given a "grade" by the public. After a certain number of low scores, the officer should be terminated. That's my idea at least.

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 04:09 PM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom

Yup to all concerned. All valid considerations.

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 04:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: ArchPlayer

Sorry, no.

First off: A BB or Pellet gun is NOT A TOY!!!

The box that it comes in along with the manual for it says this many times over when you get one!

Second: most BB and pellet guns doe not have the orange or red cap on the end of their barrel. That is a requirement for a TOY GUN.

Air guns have no such requirement.

What I REALLY want to know is this:

WHY on EARTH was the guy messing with it out of the box? The BB guns and Pellet guns sold at Walmart ARE IN BOXES FOR GODS SAKES.

You want to examine it, try it? Get a sales associate. You rip one out of the box, and not buy that one, they have to toss it in the back. Would have been hard to assume he had a real gun had it been in the box still.

Of course, I still think they over reacted in the first place (the cops that is).

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 04:34 PM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom

I agree with everything you said. The cameras need to be "tamper evident" and any tampering will be considered an admission of guilt.

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 05:03 PM
link   
a reply to: ArchPlayer

I don't know but there's no orange tip...did you click the link to Walmart? You can see it plain as day ... This is assuming the article was correct in identifying the "gun"

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 07:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Urantia1111

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic

originally posted by: Urantia1111
I'm just saying that if he had thought about it a bit, he may have realized how unwise it is to be strolling through the store with a super-realistic BB gun, especially in light of recent events featuring cops gunning down completely unarmed citizens like hotcakes. Do you wander out into the Serengeti in an antelope costume and expect no action from the lions?

Yeah, and if the woman hadn't been wearing a short skirt at a party, she wouldn't have been raped and killed on her way home. Women are stupid, eh?

/sarcasm

Come on now. I'm not saying he deserved to be shot and you know that. I'm saying that in this time and place, we unfortunately should EXPECT wildly dangerous overreaction by law enforcement and adjust our behavior accordingly. IF you want to minimize the chances of getting unjustly shot dead in the toy department of Wal-Mart, that is.

NO, not expect be weary of it, but not accept it. We SHOULD NOT have to act accordingly to new unspoken laws that get you killed like carrying a toy gun through a field (2 recent 13 year olds, one not even called in just cop saw and shot) or picking something off the shelf at walmart and being killed. The man picked an item off a store shelf and was killed. Walmart will be cutting a fat check, and may be able to sue the dept themselves.

We need to be wondering sincerely wonder why all of these killings have begun and we need to be wondering why the militarization has begun with the APVs and assault weapons. Meanwhile there is a constant fight against civilians owning them?

This is beyond case by case, was it justified or was it not, it's time to start figuring out what is going on.

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 08:03 PM
link   
The police are saying they will not be releasing any video. (Does that point to a mistake by officers?). Would be nice f Walmart would release any it has but I would imagine they will bow to the local police demands.

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 08:49 PM
link   
a reply to: roadgravel

Walmart's probably already figured out how it will reap a nice, fat, undisclosed settlement from the coffers of local, state, and federal taxpayers. After all, it was a public servant who ended the life of one of their shoppers.

Is this not the way things work in this day and age?

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 08:57 PM
link   
a reply to: GogoVicMorrow

I think it's simple to figure out what's going on.

Our military spending dwarfs everyone else's on the planet. As the military gets new toys, the old toys move downstream. So when Barney Fife and Testosterone Bubba get their hands on these new toys, bad things are destined to happen.

Throw in 911 paranoia, an extreme distaste for our cops dying in the line of fire, no meaningful accountability, a dysfunctional political system, poor economics, and social division...you get the perfect storm for civil abuses and mayhem.

Welcome to the new normal.

edit on 27-8-2014 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 09:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Snarl
a reply to: 2manyholes

That's my take on it as well.

People are quick to call the cops ... and they have no idea how someone they've never met before is going to react to a stressful (potentially life-threatening) situation.

I don't know about you (if you watched the interview link above) ... but I got a real creepy feeling about that guy. He almost seemed like he was pleased with what he did.

yes he did...and seemed to have trouble keeping his story straight

posted on Aug, 27 2014 @ 09:22 PM
link   
a reply to: roadgravel

The way I took it was the attorney had it and they wouldn't release it because it might taint the jury pool. After trial it may be released.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join