It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

IRS seeks help destroying another 3,200 hard drives

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 22 2014 @ 01:40 PM
link   
More crab-apples at the IRS !!

Now they are hell-bent on destroying 3200 hard drives !!

It never ends when one mistake and/or lie leads into thousands more to cover the cat crap in the sandbox.

Gotta wonder what's hidden on those "crashed" or wiped drives ?

Lois "The Innocent" disagrees of course.

Days after IRS officials said in a sworn statement that former top agency employee Lois G. Lerner’s computer memory had been wiped clean, the agency put out word to contractors Monday that it needs help to destroy at least another 3,200 hard drives.

The Internal Revenue Service solicitation for “media destruction” services reflects an otherwise routine job to protect sensitive taxpayer information, but it was made while the agency’s record destruction practices remain under a sharp congressional spotlight.

posted on Jul, 22 2014 @ 01:49 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

They have never heard of Auslogic from Piriform LOL. It does a 35 pass government standard overwrite that even destroys the sideband data. Either these people in the IRS are total idiots or they think everyone else are idiots.

Cheers - Dave

posted on Jul, 22 2014 @ 01:54 PM
link   

I heard on the dreaded Fox News this morning that the IRS thinks it might have tape backups of the missing emails now. Seems kind of odd having this revelation now, maybe they needed the time to eradicate said emails from the drive. I hope someone is on the ball here with the forensic's.

Why is it liberals think Fox News lies but Obama doesn't?

posted on Jul, 22 2014 @ 01:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: bobs_uruncle

They have never heard of Auslogic from Piriform LOL. It does a 35 pass government standard overwrite that even destroys the sideband data. Either these people in the IRS are total idiots or they think everyone else are idiots.

Cheers - Dave

Recovering tech must be getting better, did it used to be 8 passes? Or has it always been 35 with an overwrite of 1's and 0's? I don't remember.

posted on Jul, 22 2014 @ 02:00 PM
link   
a reply to: MarlinGrace

I think it is something in the Kool-Aid.

posted on Jul, 22 2014 @ 02:03 PM
link   
These drives would not be just wiped. My company handles gov't drives a lot. They are DoD wiped according to ISO standards, then typically have to be filmed being drilled out with a specific size drill bit, then filmed being shredded. There is no recovery possible.

posted on Jul, 22 2014 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Cheers - Dave

The highlighted part, to be sure.

posted on Jul, 22 2014 @ 02:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: MarlinGrace

I heard on the dreaded Fox News this morning that the IRS thinks it might have tape backups of the missing emails now. Seems kind of odd having this revelation now, maybe they needed the time to eradicate said emails from the drive. I hope someone is on the ball here with the forensic's.

Because Obama himself has told them, Fox is the Anti-Christ. That's why...

Des

posted on Jul, 22 2014 @ 02:16 PM
link   
They want to outsource the destruction of property that might incriminate them? Yeah. Makes sense.
I could do that myself in a day anyways. Just give me a high powered magnet and a forklift.

posted on Jul, 22 2014 @ 02:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen
More crab-apples at the IRS !!

Now they are hell-bent on destroying 3200 hard drives !!

It never ends when one mistake and/or lie leads into thousands more to cover the cat crap in the sandbox.

Gotta wonder what's hidden on those "crashed" or wiped drives ?

Lois "The Innocent" disagrees of course.

Days after IRS officials said in a sworn statement that former top agency employee Lois G. Lerner’s computer memory had been wiped clean, the agency put out word to contractors Monday that it needs help to destroy at least another 3,200 hard drives.

The Internal Revenue Service solicitation for “media destruction” services reflects an otherwise routine job to protect sensitive taxpayer information, but it was made while the agency’s record destruction practices remain under a sharp congressional spotlight.

Do they pay cash? and do I need to report it?

posted on Jul, 22 2014 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Technically its obstruction of congress.

posted on Jul, 22 2014 @ 02:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: KezigluBey

Nah, just put the info on a hard drive.

posted on Jul, 22 2014 @ 02:21 PM
link   
a reply to: KezigluBey

Sorry but you have to report it, and keep your records for 7 years. No wiping no, no, no

posted on Jul, 22 2014 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Big pile of drives and a big pile of thermite and job done...no need for anything overly technical just turn it into a pile of slag and send it off to be recycled...probably costs a few grand and job done but i'm sure someone can turn it into a 50 million buck job

posted on Jul, 22 2014 @ 02:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid

originally posted by: KezigluBey

Nah, just put the info on a hard drive.

Sorry, Mine crashed.... and I forgot to set up a RAID system when I built my pc ....
but really... Are they smokey-smokey?? -.-

posted on Jul, 22 2014 @ 02:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Maxatoria
Big pile of drives and a big pile of thermite and job done...no need for anything overly technical just turn it into a pile of slag and send it off to be recycled...probably costs a few grand and job done but i'm sure someone can turn it into a 50 million buck job

The precise cost of this would be $27,552.00 with the procedures they would want done.

posted on Jul, 22 2014 @ 02:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: MarlinGrace

Cheers - Dave

Recovering tech must be getting better, did it used to be 8 passes? Or has it always been 35 with an overwrite of 1's and 0's? I don't remember.

Deep erase used to be variable/selectable pass under Norton Utils, government standards were generally presets around 7 passes, so yep, you are correct. Recently, that number of passes has increased to accommodate full sideband destruction, those areas on either side of the heads on the platter-track that can still contain "bleed" data/information. If they really wanted to get clever, they could just use high-power tape demagnetizers, I've done that before on disks containing sensitive court and military data.

I have software to fully recover at least down to 3 full DOS erases. I have tried 7 and it was difficult and missed a lot of data, about 25%. I doubt I could recover 20 passes of 1's and 0's, 35, no way.

BTW, Auslogic is free for personal use, so for corporate use it is very inexpensive. The IRS is simply comprised of morons that have the IQ of lumber. Auslogic is Here.

CCleaner is from Piriform, I made a mistake there sorry. They have the 35 pass erasing function also and is also free for personal use, cheap for corporate use. CCleaner at Piriform is Here.

Cheers - Dave

posted on Jul, 22 2014 @ 02:41 PM
link   
a reply to: bobs_uruncle

CCleaner works very good.

I use it.

posted on Jul, 22 2014 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Next year we all can check the New Block I hear their adding in Honor of Lois G. Lerner.

I was under the impression that computer files for our Government was kept in a secure location.

For Years and Years and Years,,,,,,,,

That Old Poop Goes The Scandall just keep obama on his toes and the LIES coming from the Oval Office.

You know as well as me, that there is at lest ONE obamanite that'll ask.

edit on 22-7-2014 by guohua because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2014 @ 02:44 PM
link   
a reply to: bobs_uruncle

Government does not only wipe drives anymore. Sure there are standards for the industry based on their model, but anything coming from them is shredded as well. It is purely overkill that they require wiping prior to drill and shred. Drives are so cheap now there is no use in just wiping. This request is for destruction as the IRS could wipe them on their own in-house. Many times the drives we get are already DoD wiped even though we have to do it again. The drives they use are not top of the line, they are the tried and true, low failure drives. These are VERY cheap so shredding them is no big deal. Often the shredding costs more than the actual drive brand new in their case.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join