It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

E.T.s. Turn out the lights. They may not be coming...

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 07:39 AM
link   
a reply to: VoidHawk
Okay cool, I personally just started watching some of his lectures recently, so I don't have too much background or experience with his point of view on matters. From what I've seen so far he seemed pretty level headed, but as you say never judge a book!

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 08:13 AM
link   
a reply to: EnPassant

Ist heresy to think that you could be "directed to god".

God would be limited if you could do that....Where should god be? In which limited little place ....

Bashar and other awakened beings free of the ignorance of a limited belief lead us to the IAM ..the place where god meets you.

Thank god that god can not be found. As god is everything there is and is not...

Thats what grace means.

You are dogmatic and typical christian in that belief that god is at a "special place"....as it seems.

The hard fact is that god is also the evil...... because god is all loving....uncondtional love.... I know this is hard to accept for many who search for a rainbow god sitting on a cloud..

But that concept is just so outdated..
edit on 10-6-2014 by kauskau because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 09:28 AM
link   
This position of Tyson is really rather self destructive, and also not new.

Isn't it pretty hypocritical for someone supposedly "intelligent" and "knowledgeable" to both give such weightiness to the ambitious capacity of a race to (supposedly) change the very climate of an entire planet with just a few generations worth of accidental and unintentional effort, yet also be so galactically insignificant to bear no worth in contact by a non-terrestrial race?

That doesn't make any sense.

But yet it does. The same "enlightened" individuals who put no weight on the value of human life when that life happens to be inside another human being tend to be the same kind of people who think there are too many humans on the planet to suit their personal tastes.

Why wouldn't that same attitude of human worthlessness carry over to assuming a supposedly worthwhile race from another planet would also find us worthless?

If one deems themselves worthwhile enough to deem the rest of the race worthless, doesn't that mean the one judging the entire human race has elevated themselves to a position where they are worthy of judging?

This anti-human attitude by "enlightened" humans, that humanity as a whole has no inherently unique and special qualities and thus no inherent rights or privileges, is a very dangerous attitude.

Since the ones who have this attitude tend to consider themselves enlightened and thus exempt from the category of worthlessness, it has historically led to incidences of genocide and oppression.

No, this person's opinion (Tyson) is not healthy at all and I think that is why so many of us find it repellent.

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 10:17 AM
link   
a reply to: mysterioustranger

I've got a lot to say about this that I'm almost considering making a thread on for the sake of composure and relevance to the OP... But all in all, I doubt that we're less intelligent to our 'visitors' than apes and dolphins are to us; but until we step out of our compartmentalized regions of political and societal beliefs, we'll never be 'accepted' by our visitors. IMO.

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 10:32 AM
link   
a reply to: kauskau

What I mean is that God is not ONLY 'all that is'. God is more than that. God is the source of all that is. God is not located in any place or on a cloud. God is everywhere, in every atom, in eternity and in time. All that really exists is God. All being is God. Evil is ultimately non being, nihilism.

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 10:33 AM
link   
a reply to: djmarcone
To start, the primary argument is that the odds dictate that if we ever do come in to contact with ET life they'd either be considerably more advanced than us, or considerably less advanced. The odds of life coming into contact with each other at all is arguably low [so far as we know], so the odds that the two lifeforms are similarly advanced [of similar age and evolutionary destinations] is exceedingly unlikely. Unless there is life within our solar system, interstellar travel is imperative... and there are obvious problems with interstellar travel. Just consider what the odds must be of two comparably advanced civilizations meeting are. Consider the vastness of space, and the expanse of time. The odds of being in the right place, and right time, are incredibly low. Of all the star systems, over billions of years.

Look at us as an example. We're only a few thousand years into any sort of civilization. Only a hundred or so years into electricity. Only in the last half decade have we left our planet... and only to our own moon. We might be gone in another thousand years, or ten thousand years. Even if we survive another 10'000 years, we have to assume that other life exists and has the ability to reach us [or for us to reach them at some point in the future] and for us both to be similarly advanced. We've been around for 200'000-400'000 years or so, and only for the last 100 years have we been able to fly.

Just try and consider all these things. The number of galaxies, and their distance from each other, as well as how old the universe is. Two civilizations separated by 100'000'000 years is the blink of an eye to the universe. Two civilizations separated by 10'000'000 light years is a speck of dust in the universe. So, as long as we rely purely of theory and statistics, we have to assume two things. One, that there is definitely other life out there. And two, that the odds of us finding any significantly advanced life [or them finding us] is statistically improbable.

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 10:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: kauskau
Bashar and other awakened beings free of the ignorance of a limited belief lead us to the IAM ..the place where god meets you.

If we say, in a superficial sense, 'I am' it is only the personality, the ego, speaking. But if we TRULY say 'I AM' it is not us saying it, it is God. God in us. God is the only one who can say 'I AM' because all being is God. Link
edit on 10-6-2014 by EnPassant because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 10:57 AM
link   

thats what i said....ALL THERE IS...and the source of all that is..

That also means: you can not find god in a specific place. That means: you can not fail by listening to a being like bashar that says: honor creation because it is god ......

You said: he would not bring you to god.

How do you mean that? When you say in the next sentence that he can not be found.

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 11:01 AM
link   

Many New Age teachers say that God is 'all that is' in the sense that the totality of the universe is God. They leave out the source that precedes all creation and time. They imply that God is the sum of all things in time. This is incorrect. God is also in eternity.

I don't say that God cannot be found. He is everywhere and can be found in any silence.

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 11:14 AM
link   
I think people have the wrong perception of extraterrestrials. I don't think that they "don't care", or just that they're uninterested in our species.

We're all waiting around to be let in the galactic club. Waiting for them to contact us.

What's the secret handshake? When will they let their presence be known?

Probably when we contact them. Knowing full well what they are and where they are. And we still contact them.

Because, until we make that decision, weighing in all the pros and cons ... and still deciding it's in our best interest as a species ... we don't pass the test.

Then, it's game on. But, not before. That's how I'd run my Galactic Exploration Program.
edit on 10-6-2014 by tyranny22 because: spelling

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 11:19 AM
link   
This is not true, Aliens have made contact.

You mean world wide news with the aliens faces all over T.V? That won't happen.

Aliens will contact us individually or through mass sightings.
Because the government is covering it up at the moment. They have released some incidents here and there. But more or less, we don't engage in a specific *species* As there could be many out there and humanity is not 100% sure which one created us. So in the mean time, we will have everyone believe we spawned from this planet by ourselves in order to keep civilians calm and to prevent religious wars over who is our brothers in space.... to a minimum.

the majority of people don't think these things through.

Humanity is not stupid, just incredibly ignorant. And the powers that be have deemed humanity to still be in an infant state. the moment we find out who is who and what created us, There will be more public displays and possibly disclosure. But until then, the only time it would occure is during a mass extinction event- super volcanos-polar shifts- solar flares.

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 11:25 AM
link   
a reply to: AnuTyr

Stupidity is not a lack of intelligence, it is a failure to use the intelligence we have.

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 11:26 AM
link   
I think Dr. Tyson brings up an important consideration. It might not be anything to do with Ethical or Spiritual Qualms, of the sort being brought up in this thread, that keep E.T.s from contacting us-- it might simply be that they are so far ahead of us that communication is nigh impossible, and all they can do is hint to us that there is a larger cosmic community.
It would be like us going up and trying to communicate with an ant. Some amount of manipulation, some very basic level of interaction, might take place-- but Contact of the sort we are talking about would simply be impossible.

(post by kauskau removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 11:46 AM
link   

Or foolishness, Eitherway we are being somewhat smart about it.

If we chose to engage in one specific species, Yet we get it wrong and a different species is our creators.
Would that not cause a possible planetary conflict?

The majority of ET are here for colonization or for genetic upgrades by using us, the flora and fauna of the planet and possibly materials. Also watching us destroy each other from space would be mildly entertaining to say the least.
Since its been so frequent throughout human history.

We can't be to rash about our choice of contact. I'm sure many species are waiting to adopt humanity. But as i mentioned before, the government isn't entirely sure who is who yet.

ET will still make its presence amongst the populations. But we try to chase and shoot down UFOs so... lol they come and go when jets show up.

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Yes I accept the basic argument you are making. But spirituality and spiritual truth are not about learning things that are true - not only. We can learn spiritual truths every day and still not find God. There is a greater Truth that goes beyond what Bashar says. This Truth cannot be learned by listening to 'ordinary' spiritual truths.

In Genesis we are told that Enoch 'Walked with God.' This is Truth. This is the deepest truth we can know; to walk with God, because when we do we are IN truth. This truth is not known by the intellect, it is known in the soul. This is the Holy Spirit.

All true spiritual teachers will tell you how to find this truth, how to find God. They will tell you that the way to find God is by living in accordance with God's Will. If they don't do this they are not from God.

edit on 10-6-2014 by EnPassant because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 12:31 PM
link   
I just want to throw in my 2 cents.

If the Earth is 4.6 billion years old, let's scale it down to 46 years then the human race has been here for 4 hours. In the grand scheme of the almighty scale of being "advanced"... if we've accomplished the 'higgs boson' today imagine what we will create in another 4 hours.. just sayin'. Neil's wrong.

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 12:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: djmarcone
Isn't it pretty hypocritical for someone supposedly "intelligent" and "knowledgeable" to both give such weightiness to the ambitious capacity of a race to (supposedly) change the very climate of an entire planet with just a few generations worth of accidental and unintentional effort, yet also be so galactically insignificant to bear no worth in contact by a non-terrestrial race?

That doesn't make any sense.

But yet it does. The same "enlightened" individuals who put no weight on the value of human life when that life happens to be inside another human being tend to be the same kind of people who think there are too many humans on the planet to suit their personal tastes.

Why wouldn't that same attitude of human worthlessness carry over to assuming a supposedly worthwhile race from another planet would also find us worthless?

If one deems themselves worthwhile enough to deem the rest of the race worthless, doesn't that mean the one judging the entire human race has elevated themselves to a position where they are worthy of judging?

This anti-human attitude by "enlightened" humans, that humanity as a whole has no inherently unique and special qualities and thus no inherent rights or privileges, is a very dangerous attitude.

All of what you're posting here is assuming that Tyson thinks that he is far superior to the rest of humanity. If you really listen to him though, I don't think this is the case. He didn't say that the aliens would pick him and leave everyone else; he places himself in the same boat as the rest of us, from a superintelligence perspective.

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 12:41 PM
link   
Leaving the womb for the stars and transforming ourselves from monkeys to gods is not a process that can be done in "harmony & peace".

There is destruction in any changes and it so turns out we HUMANS are the masters at theses two.. so far.

I'm going to play devils advocate here and ask the question: Why do you presume that more advanced civilizations are peaceful? Or better yet, maybe they are peaceful NOW but what about their past?

I have yet to meet a sentient creature that doesn't have to fight or struggle for its existence and that in almost any environments.

War, conflict, chaos, destruction, change.

All one sides of a coin, which you can't have without both sides.

Think that will ever change?

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 01:00 PM
link   
a reply to: ScientiaFortisDefendit

This is exactly what he is talking about though, isn't it?

I think the point that he may be trying to make is that, sure, we consider ourselves to be an intelligent species. But it's very possible that would could be infantile to a hyper intelligent, highly advanced civilization. They could be so intelligent and advanced that we cannot even begin to comprehend it.

It's dangerous to assume that we are anywhere near the top of the food chain in the grand scheme of things. It also find it extremely narcissistic.

<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join