It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Future of Gun Control with Cody Wilson

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+5 more 
posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 09:13 PM
link   
Hey Guys,

Today we're getting into a subject that hits very close to home for me (as you'll see in the video) and is no stranger to controversy--the infamous Second Amendment. We had the chance to speak with Cody Wilson, the twenty-six year old director of Defense Distributed who recently made headlines with the development of the world's first 3D printed gun, "The Liberator." For a counterpoint we spoke with Margot Bennett, executive director of Woman Against Gun Violence, who had a more open-minded approach to the issue than most gun control advocates I've spoken with. For me the debate is more about personal freedom than anything else--no one wants more gun violence but I don't see arming the police and government while leaving us high and dry is an acceptable solution. Whatever your position on this hot button debate may be, it's an indisputable fact that the concept of a public domain 3D printed pistol has deeply and permanently changed the game. As for our discussion, do you guys think gun control is more of a safety issue, or our government's way of attempting to grab more power?

Bye TV,

Josh LeCash

edit on 5-3-2014 by Notheycant because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2014 @ 09:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Notheycant

A very good point, the availability of guns only ever increases. The only thing achieved by making them illegal is to disarm law abiding citizens or create new lawbreakers.

I wish that the logic of your argument would put the issue to rest but, alas, reason is not a strong point among self-declared enemies of elements of our constitution including but not limited to the 2nd amendment.

+20 more 
posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 12:01 AM
link   
There are over 300 million people in this country. There are over 300 million firearms in this country. Over 1 million people shoot guns EVERYDAY, yet less that 1/2 of 1% of guns & people use guns in an evil or criminal manner. So since when does an entire nation allow such a small percentage to dictate law and rules for the other 99.5% of the populace?

Anti gunners are SO uneducated when it comes to guns, gun owners, the reality of why we have the 2nd Amendment, how guns were used to create this nation and keep it safe and keep THE PEOPLE free it's disgusting.

As a former Law Enforcement Officer and Veteran of the U.S. Army, I faced the evil folks who used guns in ways they shouldn't have, and NOT ONCE did I want the 2nd Amendment limited or questioned afterwards, even though my life was in danger. I also seen first hand how guns SAVED a number of people who would of been a victim otherwise and would of ended up dead. So I ask anti gunners who want guns taken this question. Should YOU and our government be held legally and civilly responsible if YOUR way is adopted and people cannot protect themselves and end up injured? Can a family sue you and the government if their loved ones end up dead, because the right of protection was taken from them?

We have so many laws on the books that criminals and mentally deranged folks ignore, adding more laws is an outright STUPID way of trying to solve this small problem. And yes, in the grand scheme, this is a VERY small problem. How about doing the smart thing and push for HARSH punishment of those using guns in an evil/criminal matter?

Anyone willing to eliminate and hamstring the 2nd Amendment WITHOUT using common sense needs to ask themselves. How can I ask others to give up their guns, their right to own them and protect themselves and their families, or be prepared in case the government does overstep their authority, YET, if my own life or freedoms are in jeopardy, call on someone who carries a gun to risk their own lives for me? I just can't wrap my head around the mindset.

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 12:26 AM
link   
reply to post by IroncladFT

Excellent points...especially in the last paragraph.

Here's how I look at it...
If the government has guns, then we-the-people should have guns.
After all, it is we-the-people who are the government.

...and I'd like to say I'm not a gun enthusiast.

Actually, I am ALL FOR gun control...100%

But I mean 100%...

Just as soon as all the world's governments, their military forces,
and their police, agree to disarm completely, then I will HAPPILY
turn over all my weapons.

But there is NO CHANCE of that EVER happening. And then reason
why is because no matter how long our species survives, there will
ALWAYS be those among us who are not satisfied with ONLY controlling
themselves. There will always be people who are only satisfied when
they are in control of others...

It's just the left-over vestiges of the survival-of-the-fittest instinctual
processess that put as at the top of the food chain to begin with...

Instinct versus intellect...and instinct is better armed

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 10:50 AM
link   
I think I remember reading somewhere before...

Laws are made by stupid people, who are not smart enough to figure out a real solution to the problem.

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Was the lady of wagv asking Josh the answers to his questions or telling him?? Weird.

Several weeks ago, I wrote my congressman (you know, the people who are supposed to write just laws for us Americans) if he would try to place a new clause/question on the ATF Form 4473 in the section where it asks if you are a felon or a subversive or mentally ill, etc., That if you support gun control and/or the changing of the 2nd amendment, you will be denied the right to own or purchase a gun and be guilty of a felony if you try to purchase a gun after answering in the affirmative or if the background check turns up that you are.

I believe that would make the gun-grabbers happy and it certainly would make me happy (even though I know that laws are for everyone).

He wrote back and basically said he didn't understand the question, but he certainly supported the second amendment and the right to own and shoot guns.

I'll try to find the email if I still have and anyone's interested...

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Nice work, but....be careful where you point that hand cannon. Your camera guy will thank you.

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 01:15 PM
link   
reply to post by NightFlight

I would love to see it

-

Josh

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 02:44 PM
link   

I had to stop watching after the first few seconds as you were severely mishandling a firearm. Sorry.

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 03:05 PM
link   

BASSPLYR

I had to stop watching after the first few seconds as you were severely mishandling a firearm. Sorry.
I could not agree with you more. This ass is giving me (us) as a gun owner a bad name. This moron is one More reason I own a gun. On a bad day or revolution I do not want someone like him next to me.

S

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 04:01 PM
link   
reply to post by IroncladFT

All excellent points.

I'd like to further underscore how illogical it is to question the 2nd Amendment because of gun crimes in the USA.

For example, one could argue that speech is used in the coordination of many crimes, much more than guns. Speech is causing more crimes than guns! Ergo, we should repeal the 1st Amendment. It will prevent crimes, protect national security, and make the world safer for our children.

That is the exact same argument these people are making against the 2nd Amendment. It's shear lunacy.

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 04:13 PM
link   

BASSPLYR

I agree. Not only waving that thing around like a dishrag, but his finger was inside the trigger guard the whole time. Josh, whoever you are, stop making firearms videos until you know what the hell you're doing. That's not a video game controller in your hand.

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 06:52 PM
link   
To all who are complaining about how I held the gun in the intro, do you also comment on movie threads about how irresponsible the actors handled their weapons in movies? If not, the "I shot Marvin in the face" scene from PULP FICTION is a good place to start.

How do you know I didn't triple check my weapon before we filmed the segment? Moreover, you'll notice I handled the gun appropriately when I actually fired it in the field.

Still, feel free to harp on that or weigh in on the actual subject matter of the video.

-

Josh

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 07:36 PM
link   

The Second Amendment is dead.

We don't have gun "Rights".

We currently have gun privileges.

If we had gun "Rights" I could just go out and buy a full automatic weapon without registration, background checks.

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 07:37 PM
link   

Notheycant
To all who are complaining about how I held the gun in the intro, do you also comment on movie threads about how irresponsible the actors handled their weapons in movies? If not, the "I shot Marvin in the face" scene from PULP FICTION is a good place to start.

How do you know I didn't triple check my weapon before we filmed the segment? Moreover, you'll notice I handled the gun appropriately when I actually fired it in the field.

Still, feel free to harp on that or weigh in on the actual subject matter of the video.

That doesn't make you any less wrong. Rule 1 of firearms safety, all guns are always loaded. Rule two, keep your finger off the trigger until you're ready to fire. If you're going to be making videos on subjects you claim to care about, know what you're doing.

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 07:39 PM
link   

beezzer

If we had gun "Rights" I could just go out and buy a full automatic weapon without registration, background checks.

Honestly?

Thank God, that isn't possible. ( not you personally of course, but anybody for that matter)

~Tenth

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 07:41 PM
link   

tothetenthpower

beezzer

Honestly?

Thank God, that isn't possible. ( not you personally of course, but anybody for that matter)

~Tenth

So you agree we don't have "Rights" any more.

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 07:45 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Nor should you really. ( I know, I know, sacrilege)

Sure, historically and all that, you're owed your guns, that's fine.

In contemporary society, the gun issue should be largely non existent. The USA is one of the only countries, outside of one's we deem either third world, or embroiled in civil war that has such open laws regarding gun possession.

It causes far more problems than it's ever solved and at this point it's really just rather silly that ANYBODY would WANT to have an automatic weapon for any purpose other than shooting at the range for sport. I don't mind gun ownership for those purposes.

The 'gun culture' in the US it's just so 19th century if you ask me. Then again, I'm Canadian, the only time you see guns around these parts are on cops and when we go hunting.

~Tenth

edit on 3/6/2014 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 07:48 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

So just trash the whole 2nd Amendment?

Ni-ice!

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 07:56 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

No not at all.

What I would ask is that Americans realize the context in which that was written. That the founding fathers never imagined automatic weapons and grenade launchers. That had they had such things, the 2nd amendment would have probably been a whole lot more specific that it is now.

I'd like them, much like the religious, to stop using documents from hundreds of years ago to justify sound policy decisions in a modern society.

~Tenth

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join