It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Time-Travelling Hipster (Logo)

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 12:31 PM
link   

brazenalderpadrescorpio
reply to post by Chamberf=6

Are you trying to say that the photo is doctored, because that issue has already been addressed. There's a better than normal chance that it hasn't been. I'm not saying that it hasn't been, I'm just saying that there's not a good chance of that. There are too many synchronistic events.

I'm just saying all aspects of this photo have been looked at, the styles, was it faked, etc. It's not faked, I fully agree.

If the clothes, glasses, and camera existed then (which they did), why not look for something that is truly out of place in other media or photos if you want to find a "time traveler".

The Photoshopped pic I posted were in a way saying this is ridiculous past a point.

I mean what really is the point of all this? Just the letter on his shirt/sweater?

Or that he may be a "time traveler"?

posted on Mar, 1 2014 @ 02:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Chamberf=6

I was just trying to identify whether the M on his shirt was a company or sports logo of that time. That said, I give up. I have my own theory as to why I can't find anything. And no, I don't think it's a conspiracy. But people can U2U me if they really want to know what I think (not that it makes any difference; the possibilities are infinite).

posted on Mar, 3 2014 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Jeepers, people think they invented cool. A sense of style has been around ... well, as long as people. This guy is perfectly attired for the time period... just because he isn't in business attire doesn't mean anything, and the shirt, while looking too modern, is probably a Uni T or sweat shirt (Maybe Virginia Tech? Dunno).

I have pics of my dad when he was a bomber pilot in WW2 and all the years after, heh, and he looks cool, too, when not in his 9-5 clothing (he had me when he was old, btw... I'm not THAT old yet). The glasses are definitely period appropriate, too.

Anyway, people dress many different ways for many different reasons... always have and likely always will... no biggie.

If he had an Android, then this might be weird.

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 10:23 AM
link   
What nobody has adressed is the camera ,it does not look correct for the time to me

posted on Mar, 6 2014 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by dashdespatch

It has been talked about. People evidently think that this is a rehash of over threads. They missed the point, entirely.

posted on Mar, 7 2014 @ 10:52 AM
link   
reply to post by brazenalderpadrescorpio

Yes it as been mentioned but not explained i does look like a modern camera

posted on Mar, 7 2014 @ 01:26 PM
link   
reply to post by dashdespatch

I would suggest you read this post by Rodinus:

Rodinus post

Also look at all his posts on this thread after the one I linked to. He didn't just post once.

Here's his main post that you should look at:

Main Rodinus post
edit on bFri, 07 Mar 2014 13:29:19 -0600pm65America/Chicago3pmFriday07America/Chicago by brazenalderpadrescorpio because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2014 @ 05:24 PM
link   
I think the most ironic part about this, is that people call him the "Time Traveling Hipster".

Hipsters like to wear vintage clothing and bring back old trends. So, things that a modern hipster might be wearing is most definitely something some average joe was wearing years ago. In fact, many hipster trends are straight out of the 20's, 30's 40's and 60's. I know this, because well, I wear some similar styles. In fact, I'm sure i'm labeled to be a hipster.

Besides being a "hipster" I'm also a Historian. I can say without doubt, that this guy is period accurate and was in the photo. His hairstyle, which has been brought up, is most definitely period accurate. 40's haircuts or 40's influenced hair cuts are all the rage these days. I mean, did you see Brad Pitts haircut at the Oscars? Even I am sporting a vagley "Hitler Youth"-esque undercut (as was pointed out to me by a friend).

In fact, here is an example of a 40's era hair cut that I find to be quite similar. Add a bit of growth and a bit of wind and you have the messy blown back look that our "Time Traveler" friend has.

40's Hair.

Let's talk about the Camera he appears to be holding. Now, I know most of us are used to seeing Single Lens Reflex Cameras....in fact that typically what we are exposed to these days. But older hand held cameras looked very different. Being a Photographer myself, and one who enjoys vintage cameras, I'm pretty positive what we are seeing him holding is a folding camera. It could be the Kodak Vigilant Junior, the AGFA B2 Speedex, AGFA/ANSCO Readyset Special or another similar model. Please refer to the page for details!

40's Camera's

As for what appears to be a Screen Printed Shirt, I would agree with others who have stated that it is likely a shirt with a logo sewn into it. Screen Printing wasn't a viable means for making designs on shirts until the 60's. I think it could also be a sweater with a design knitted into it for all we know. Oh, and as for the Cardigan, this should obviously be period accurate. The Cardigan was extremely popular in the 40's, among men and women.

For the sunglasses, there seemed to be a bunch of different kinds of designs for Sunglasses going on during the 40's. In fact, I found a modern Sunglasses maker who designed his glasses based on styles and designs from this period. Have a look. Also a simple google search for 40's sunglasses will show you quite a few similar style glasses. So this isn't far fetched at all. In fact, research suggests that this style of Sunglasses was actually introduced in the 20's.

New, vintage inspired sunglasses.

Next, lets talk about the idea that for some reason, this man seems to be the center of attention for the picture. But he's not. The only reason that we perceive him to be the center of attention in this picture, is that he happens to be wearing a much more relaxed style of clothing then the others in this photo. In fact that contrast is a big reason why this photo has generated such a big deal. He is quite tall, and obviously stands out. However if you look at the un-cropped version of the photo, its looks like its purpose was to capture an event taking place, likely for a Newspaper spread. In my experience, its hard to tell when a crowd is going to shift, so you have to take your photo when you can. Who knows where this man was several seconds before the picture was taken. Have a look at the full version here:

Full Photo

Following Photography theory, my eyes are drawn where the are supposed to be draw, the line of cars on the left hand side and the people crowded around them. Sure our "Hipster" friend looks a little out of place, but her is hardly the subject of this photo.

So, in my humble, and otherwise educated opinion. Debunked.

edit on 9-3-2014 by GreenCross because: (no reason given)

edit on 9-3-2014 by GreenCross because: So many typo's! I'm so unprofessional!

posted on Mar, 9 2014 @ 05:27 PM
link   
Seriously though. The camera is not Modern.

Dig a bit into the the history of Cameras.

Its has a thin metal body, and a folding lens. Like, I guarantee you.

As someone who knows cameras and has had my hands on 100's of them, my first thought was "Oh that's an old portable folding lens camera." Not, "Holy Crap, hes got a Canon 70D no way!!"

posted on Mar, 9 2014 @ 06:16 PM
link   
Young and old people dressed like that in 40's but it just so happens he is surrounded by people who on that day chose not too, not everyone from THE BLACK AND WHITE TIMES wore suits, though admittedly more common back then than they are now as a form of daily dress.

But I could stand in my jeans and tshirt surrounded by people in tuxedos, take a black and white photo post it on the internet and this proves im a time traveler?? because I happen to look out of place I am a TIME TRAVELER?!?!!?

Righty ho then.

posted on Mar, 9 2014 @ 06:34 PM
link   
That shirt he is wearing is a 1940/41 Montreal Maroons jersey

Google images has that exact same shirt from 40s era

posted on Mar, 9 2014 @ 06:54 PM
link   
this topic is a weird one. if the guy was a dumpy fat bald guy dressed exactly the same nobody would have ever noticed. because he's a fairly handsome tall fellow, with hair, people all over have been investigating if he's a time traveler or not??? odd. anyway, i read the whole thread and knew early on before i read it that it was an old professional hockey shirt, recognized the styling of the "m". this has been a fun thread though, give it that for sure. still odd.

--e.e. aleister

posted on Mar, 9 2014 @ 07:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Cito

The Montreal Maroons logo is serifed whereas the logo on his shirt is not serifed. If you have a picture, please post it. I also recommend you research what serif means.

posted on Mar, 9 2014 @ 07:22 PM
link   
reply to post by brazenalderpadrescorpio

Sorry, I'd forgot about posting in this thread.

There were many camera models then that look like that. I used to pick them up at thrift shops and still have a few.

The glasses are just safety glasses as I said and they looked the same for many decades. Those and that liner he is wearing screams he is likely a construction or factory worker and perhaps a welder / pipe fitter or similar.

As to silk screening, that goes back to the Chinese and has been around for over a thousand years I think. That shirt probably has the pattern woven in as was mentioned.

The real question is why would anyone see anything in that photo to make them think it's a time traveler? Finding information to prove there is nothing out of place time wise in that photo is not hard. There simply is nothing at all in that photo to make it look out of place for that time.

posted on Mar, 9 2014 @ 09:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Blaine91555

What trips me out the most is the logo. Everybody says that the logo is woven in, but I just don't see that. I'm gonna take a second look at the logo. I actually am not saying that he's a time traveller, I'm just entertaining the possibility.

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 02:41 PM
link   

brazenalderpadrescorpio
reply to post by Cito

The Montreal Maroons logo is serifed whereas the logo on his shirt is not serifed. If you have a picture, please post it. I also recommend you research what serif means.

Montreal Maroons used both serif and non serifed on jersey/T-shirt/jackets
Google Images 1940 montreal maroons shirt has exact same shirt hung on wall of an old collector

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 02:48 PM
link   

GreenCross
Seriously though. The camera is not Modern.

Dig a bit into the the history of Cameras.

Its has a thin metal body, and a folding lens. Like, I guarantee you.

As someone who knows cameras and has had my hands on 100's of them, my first thought was "Oh that's an old portable folding lens camera." Not, "Holy Crap, hes got a Canon 70D no way!!"

This has all been shown before.... we've had about 3 threads (at least) on this guy and everything from his clothes, the camera and everything else, was all shown and found to be from the time.
One thread was huge and ran for pages and pages and all of this was cleared up.

Fast forward a few years, new batch of members, never seen this topic before.... and bam.
Rehash and whole new thread about a subject that was pretty thoroughly dealt with.

ATS gets pretty frustrating at times... you end up just repeating yourself over and over and reading the same crap over and over.

Good work though man.

edit on 10/3/14 by blupblup because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 03:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Cito

I encourage you to post a picture with the non-serifed logo.

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 03:29 PM
link   
reply to post by blupblup

Could you post a link to the most informative thread? Thanks.

posted on Mar, 10 2014 @ 03:36 PM
link   

Rodinus
I see that no-one has mentioned what looks like a 35mm reflex camera in his hands yet?

It's not an SLR. It's a typical camera of the time with a fold out accordion lens that latches back into the body for safe carry. It likely used 120 size film and has a simple viewfinder at the top, My father had several I played with as a kid.

He also has a normal haircut for the time with normal sunglasses and is not the only man without a hat. His sweater is a zip/front variety which was certainly common at the time. The ONLY thing people cannot recognize is the T-short logo, which surely is not sufficient to claim he's a time traveler.
edit on 3/10/2014 by schuyler because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join