It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Time-Travelling Hipster (Logo)

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 02:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Rodinus

That sounds very interesting. Thanks for the info.

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 02:53 AM
link   
reply to post by coldkidc

There's too much space above the M and the top of the circle in your logo. The M is also serifed in your logo, whereas the M is sans serif in hipster's shirt. If you're not familiar with typography, a serif is a small line attached to the end of a stroke in a letter or symbol (according to Wikipedia). I appreciate your effort.

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 03:11 AM
link   
I think that is Ben Afleck maybe you will spot Matt Damon in the pic as well. The logo is the key here i think and the glasses look like cutting glasses maybe he was a metal worker involved in whatever was being looked at.

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 03:34 AM
link   
You may want to take a look at this thread from 2010
Photo from 1940s showing Time Traveler?
lots of investigation into sweaters, cameras and sunglasses

and this from forgetomori
Time Traveler Caught in Museum Photo?

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 04:33 AM
link   
reply to post by brazenalderpadrescorpio

ask the people who make these things

like the world-wide 'mystery sound phenomena' at start of 2012
but i think it speaks for itself
intentional deception
usually people want to get in firstest with the brownest nose

the post above is a prime example, the info comes out in bursts; multiple sources... 'planned' for lack of a better word

edit on 27-2-2014 by UNIT76 because: wild palms, everything must go

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 05:01 AM
link   
Wish it was in color. It looks like the University of Michigan to me.

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 06:03 AM
link   
The key to this mystery is the goggles heres wearing. Find a pair of goggles like that from circa 1940.

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 06:24 AM
link   
No one seems to be asking the right question,

Everyone is looking left, yet the photographer is obviously more interested at that guy. Notice how to camera really focuses on centering him.

And yet it seems all the other people don't even notice his there. This picture screams this is out of place and possible time.

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 07:01 AM
link   
I wanna say I have seen that shirt before, like back about 15 to 20 yrs ago. I think the band was morrissey or something like that. If that helps in your quest, I did a quick google search but am pressed for time right now.

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 08:47 AM
link   
maybe the nice folks over at the montauk project gave those poor little montauk boys t-shirts with M's on them. lol

but, seriously... i remember reading somewhere that everything present in the photo could be accounted for with materials that were in production at the time. but, i think people are right in saying there are a couple of key things that would help "break the case" so to speak. The camera, The shirt logo and The Sunglasses.

Is it possible that the M on the hipsters shirt could be related to something in British Columbia from the time? Perhaps a football team or something? The thing that makes me really question this is the fact that I don't think businesses or sports teams really advertised through silk screening at the time. I don't think people were walking around with mobile gas t-shirts and the like but, maybe im wrong. What would the M stand for and would it be possible that whatever company or institution that the M stands for was advertising through silk screened shirts back then.

He does seem out of place. He's the only male not wearing a fedora style hat. He's dressed like friggin curt cobain. and that camera. i really wish we or someone could nail the model of that camera. i think that would be really revealing either way.

p.s.

i think its also a good point that photographer seems to be specifically photographing the hipster. as opposed to the big event that the crowd is there to see. i mean what sense does that make? everyone else is watching whats going on in front of them for the grand opening or what have you and this guy is photographing just the people....why wouldnt he stand behind the crowd and get both the crowd and the event in the photo. or just the event? just a thought...

i would love it if someone could prove that any item in this photo wasn't from the period. that would be awesome.....
edit on 27-2-2014 by CallmeRaskolnikov because: stupid mistakes

edit on 27-2-2014 by CallmeRaskolnikov because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 09:05 AM
link   
just found this logo

Full name Meraloma Athletic Club
Union Vancouver Rugby Union
Founded 1923
Location Vancouver, British Columbia

wiki page

it does kinda look like the logo on his shirt. but it's not really a diamond shape i guess...

edit on 27-2-2014 by CallmeRaskolnikov because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 09:11 AM
link   
People claim him to be a time traveling hipster. However, researchers say that his style of sunglasses was actually introduced in the 1920s and the modern looking t-shirt is really a sweater with an emblem sewn to it, as many sports team paraphernalia used at the time.

The sunglasses actually appear in a film three years after this photo was taken. So, though is attire is much more relaxed and casual than the other patrons, it is not worn by a man from the future.

Source

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 10:04 AM
link   
reply to post by brazenalderpadrescorpio

Something like this perhaps.

files.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 11:23 AM
link   

AthlonSavage
The key to this mystery is the goggles heres wearing. Find a pair of goggles like that from circa 1940.

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 11:29 AM
link   
I thought this was debunked before, even on ATS, something about the photographer modifying the picture or something.

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 12:36 PM
link   
It's a cool picture and fun to speculate... but I don't see anything that doesn't look very 1940s in his hairstyle, his sunglasses, or his attire. Pick up 1st addition Archie comics from this era... this is what all the teenagers looked like, or wanted to look like. I think he's just a younger guy, dressed casual and wearing classic ray-bans.

In the other thread that was posted on this photo (started in 2010) someone wrote a pretty good follow-up that I hope it's OK that I quote here.

from member avocadoshag
link: www.abovetopsecret.com...

In case anyone is still interested in this thread...I can add a bit to the story. I spend lots of time in the summer in the Bralorne/Goldbridge area, and have visited the museum many times. Yesterday (Sunday Sep 2 2012) I saw the original photo and spoke with the ladies who run the museum. They are nice women who have not the slightest idea of how to photoshop anything...by their own admission, answering emails is a bit high-tech for them.

They are somewhat bemused at all the attention given to them and the photo; yes, they admit the guy does look out of place but they are absolutely, 100% sure there is no photoshopping or other manipulation of the photo. In fact, the picture that appeared on the museum's virtual website was from a photocopy of the original; they weren't aware that they had the original photo until the Russian team found it in an album in their archives. Since the photo went viral in 2010 they have received phone calls and emails from all over the world. Many of the callers have upset them by angrily denouncing them as hoaxters.

One recent visitor to the museum recognized the logo on the shirt as the old logo for the Bank of Montreal. Apparently, the bank would issue shirts to employees each year; and there was a branch of the B of M in Bralorne in those days. The ladies are trying to find a photo of a shirt from the 40's to compare the design.

They also mentioned another person in the photo, standing to the man's left (or your right looking at the photo). The woman beside him is Margaret "Ma" Murray, who was the publisher of the Bridge River/Lillooet Times newspaper. She would have been there to cover the opening of the new bridge, and likely would have brought her photographer with her. Since the man is holding what appears to be an Agfa camera, is it possible he was the staff photographer. Again, the museum is trying to confirm the presence of Ma Murray's photographer at the event and to determine his name.

So, to summarize: the photo is legit; it was taken at the opening of the new bridge leading to the town of Goldbridge in 1941. The original photo currently resides at the Bralorne museum a few minutes up the road from the bridge and has definitely not been tampered with or photoshopped.

I'll be back up in that area again next summer and, if there's anything new to add, I'll post it here.

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 03:23 PM
link   
reply to post by VegHead

seems like a pretty reasonable solution. very interesting. an extremely old bank t-shirt. who woulda thunk it? never would have figured that to be a bank related logo. now, what i would love to see is those "girls" come up with a matching photograph of that shirt from the period. that would be awesome. or even better i a copy of that shirt still existed somewhere out there to date.

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 03:40 PM
link   

brazenalderpadrescorpio
The sweater seems like one of those Mexican poncho hoodies that surfers tend to wear.

The jacket is not a hoody, that's just a play of light and shadow. Its a 1950's “rockabilly” style jacket where the collar is a different color and material from the jacket itself. This is pretty common back then, and seems to go along with his “magnatone” tee-shirt. This guy was obviously into music and a bit trendy for his time, but that does not make him a “time traveler”.

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 03:47 PM
link   

NullVoid

AthlonSavage

OMG even more sunglasses!!

Sunglasses AND a bikini? OMGOMGOMG

Time travelers EVERYWHERE!

Aagh, run run run.

Clothing and sunglasses like that existed then. I have a photo of my grandfather and his brothers before they joined up and went to war (~'43) and several of them were dressed similarly.
edit on 2/27/2014 by Chamberf=6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 04:02 PM
link   
It appears to me to be a sweatshirt underneath a button front open knitted sweater.

The sweater would certainly be in the time period, and the sweatshirt appears to be a football type, and the logo of "M" could be anything. Interesting person, but people did have hair styles like that then, and certainly wore sun glasses.

I really do not think that there is enough here to place him anywhere specifically in the last 60 years. I have pics of my Dad in those years, and he had great hair and wore sunglasses like that, but dressed more conservatively.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join