It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Time-Travelling Hipster (Logo)

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 01:14 AM
link   
Mods: Please move this thread to the appropriate forum if you'd like. I couldn't decide where it could fall under.

This thread is concerning the "time-travelling hipster." (Sorry for the formal tone; I just finished writing an important letter.) If you're not familiar with the time-travelling hipster, let me just give a brief synopsis about him. The picture that I include in the OP took place at the re-opening of the South Fork Bridge, in 1941, in British Columbia. Everybody there has the usual formal attire, for example, hats and suits, but our alleged time- traveller here has a modern hair-style, sunglasses, and what appears to be a silkscreen T-shirt. In this thread, I'm not really trying to form a discussion about him. I'm sort of trying to approach this from a more methodical point-of-view. Here's the picture of him, if you're not familiar with photograph:

I have a question that may help us narrow down whether this so-called hipster really belongs to that time-period. My question is this: Does anybody recognize the silkscreen logo on his shirt? If not, is there a way to find out what possible company that logo comes from (via the internets, or some other method)? I would also appreciate other questions that focus on the logo of our time-travelling friend here. Wikipedia says that his T-shirt has been debunked because the logo of his shirt is similar to the logo of the Montreal Maroons. First of all, being similar and being the same thing is just that; not the same thing. If you look at the Montreal Maroons logo it appears to be a serifed logo, whereas the logo on the hipster's shirt is sans serif. So that theory flies out the window.

Let's just say for arguments sake that he actually is a time-traveller, his M logo bears a striking resemblance to the logo for Marathon Petroleum (founded as a subsidiary of Marathon Oil on Sept. 1, 2005). But I don't want to jump ahead of myself and lead people down the wrong path.

I welcome any thoughts, and here's a picture of our time-travelling colleague, for the lulz.

edit on bThu, 27 Feb 2014 01:15:34 -0600am57America/Chicago2amThursday27America/Chicago by brazenalderpadrescorpio because: (no reason given)

edit on bThu, 27 Feb 2014 01:16:31 -0600am57America/Chicago2amThursday27America/Chicago by brazenalderpadrescorpio because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 01:16 AM
link   
Those are the only pictures?

Why not just assume photochop?

The worst part is I feel like I've seen that shirt before.
edit on 27-2-2014 by Lysergic because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 01:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Lysergic

The photograph is from a museum. It must have been part of a collection.

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 01:20 AM
link   
even though everyone else sports collared shirts in this pic
and it even looks like he's wearing a hoody also
when it comes to these types of revelatory snippets of info
i always find they come in burts
it's like a meme is being implanted into the public mind..

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 01:22 AM
link   
Actually, my bad. It's definitely not the Marathon Gas Station logo. There's more space above the M in the gas station logo than there is in hipster's logo. I'd welcome any other theory as far as the logo is concerned.

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 01:23 AM
link   
reply to post by UNIT76

What's your point about that?

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 01:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Lysergic

It seems like it's an M within a circle. I don't want to be presumptuous, however.

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 01:29 AM
link   
The sweater seems like one of those Mexican poncho hoodies that surfers tend to wear. I had one when I was a teenager. That's besides the point, though.

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 01:39 AM
link   
Here's a link to refute the Wikipedia theory on Wikipedia itself:

List of defunct and relocated National Hockey League teams

None of those old teams has a logo that could be of that time period.
edit on bThu, 27 Feb 2014 01:40:10 -0600am57America/Chicago2amThursday27America/Chicago by brazenalderpadrescorpio because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 01:44 AM
link   
reply to post by brazenalderpadrescorpio

It was the Doctor. Case solved. No, on a serious note...did people not wear sunglasses and Tshirts in the 40s. My mother grew up during that time period. I just called and asked her. She said, "Ofcourse are you stupid? I am trying to sleep leave me alone." LOL

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 01:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Holographicmeat

You should probably ask her when she's fully awake. Lol.

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 01:54 AM
link   
reply to post by brazenalderpadrescorpio

Apology brazenalderpadrescorpio. I wasn't saying your post is stupid in any way. I may have come across to you like that, it is interesting. His attire does seem off to me as well. I was just telling you how my mother responded to that is all. Sorry.

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 02:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Holographicmeat

Oh, no. I didn't take it that way.
If I had to mention anything that I'm skeptical about, it's the sunglasses. They look kind of old-fashioned to me. I saw somewhere else that the silkscreening of shirts happened much later, though. But trust me, I didn't take offense. You may want to ask her when she's fully awake if people wore logos on T-shirts at that time.

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 02:14 AM
link   

Lysergic
Those are the only pictures?

Why not just assume photochop?

The worst part is I feel like I've seen that shirt before.
edit on 27-2-2014 by Lysergic because: (no reason given)

I see that no-one has mentioned what looks like a 35mm reflex camera in his hands yet?

Kindest respects

Rodinus

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 02:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Rodinus

Was that in existence back then? I know almost nothing of cameras and photography.

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 02:25 AM
link   
could also be a W inside a rounded square,
with the fabric slightly off-centered..

?

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 02:29 AM
link   
reply to post by EmpathicBandit

My eyes don't see it that way.

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 02:31 AM
link   

brazenalderpadrescorpio
reply to post by Rodinus

Was that in existence back then? I know almost nothing of cameras and photography.

Nope, the object in that pic looks fairly similar to this :

Definately looks black and plsatic to me...

Kindest respects

Rodinus

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 02:35 AM
link   
Found this by google image searching "1940s logos"

ETA:

I know this image has been posted before - if my memory serves me correctly it was validated as legitimate from a museum archive or something...don't take my word for it though...I know the thread is out there somewhere
edit on 27-2-2014 by coldkidc because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 02:44 AM
link   
I did a rough google images search. Came up dry. I'll try Bing images tomorrow as I heard it's better. I'm off to bed; would appreciate a bump when I wake up...

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join