It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I Passed the Written

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 09:40 PM
link   
It's been a long time coming, but I finally passed the written test (for the driver's licence), and no wrong answers at that! I took the first written in the early 90s and passed with no wrong answers at that time, as well (I passed on the first try). I let minor issues get the better of me (I was a dumb teenager), and I never followed through with taking the driving test. I came to wholeheartedly regret that decision.

During the 2000s I was interested in driving once again, but never put forth a full effort in studying for the test, much less taking the written test. Late last year, I took the written without fully studying the handbook (I skimmed it), and got 8 answers wrong out of an acceptable 6 answers wrong. (I actually got 7 answers wrong. Why? The handbook says so.) I decided after that, that if I wanted to pass the test, I had to put my back into it, and really study for it. I read the handbook about twice, and, today, went over my written test from last year. When I went over it today, I realized that the answers to the questions were, for the most part, common sense. That thought instilled a lot of confidence within me, and made me less nervous for the test I was to take today.

And so, I passed! I realize that a lot of people might not care, and that it might just seem like a boring anecdote to most, but I've been wanting to get my licence for a while now, and this event is a major milestone for me. Has anybody had a major milestone like this, that was perhaps no big deal for the average person?

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 09:51 PM
link   
reply to post by brazenalderpadrescorpio

Good for you! Congrats! How ever long it takes to achieve something, the more you appreciate it.

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 09:57 PM
link   
reply to post by mysterioustranger

You stole the words right out of my mouth. I probably appreciate it like no other. Here in California, not having a driver's license is embarrassing. It's also embarrassing to depend on other people to take you places. I've already had at least one person look down on me because I don't have a driver's license. You can't really have a lot of confidence in yourself if you feel like you haven't been able to achieve something so basic. Thanks!

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 10:58 PM
link   
Congratulations ! Don't worry about what others think, met many pep's in London who couldn't drive. There was no need for them to learn because the public transport was good and quicker.

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 11:05 PM
link   
reply to post by lonewolf2

Thanks. Southern California is a whole 'nother story. Transportation sucks around here. I think that that's why driving has become so much of a status symbol, here. If you don't drive around here, people think that there's something wrong with you, literally. lol

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 11:22 PM
link   
Good for you OP! I got my license when I was 16 and it was a pretty huge deal. I don't really think it matters how old you are when you get it, always a big milestone/rite of passage. Are you in the US? Do you have a road test scheduled?

I think more people get nervous about the road test (and I think they engineer it that way). I was the opposite. I was way more nervous about the written as my parents taught me to drive when I was fairly young and always threw me the keys when I had my learner's permit. Just ignore the person next to you and have fun with it. Make sure you get in some time on whatever car you take. I got docked borrowing my Mom's new car as I wasn't used to the clutch and ended up pulling away from a stop a little, uh, briskly.

Awhile back I tried a practice test and only got about 1/2 of the answers correctly. I just did it again and got 20/25. Some of the questions are worded so strangely I'm amazed anyone gets them. Anyone bored should click here and take WA States test for fun.

Good job OP! I'm sure you'll kick the other portion of the test square in the ass! Just think, in no time at all you'll start hating to drive like the rest of us! Soon enough you'll end up like me with a sporty car that sucks gas, makes insurance unreasonable and tempts you to do naughty things. But at least then you'll be having fun again.

edit on 2420140220141 by Domo1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 11:27 PM
link   

Your welcome. I got a 23 year old nephew working at Famous Daves Barbecue here in Michigan. He has his younger sisters and mom drive him everywhere. He's got issues...afraid to drive I guess.

So you be proud man. Ya did good! And stay safe when you get out there!

posted on Feb, 24 2014 @ 11:39 PM
link   
I just took my 16 year old daughter to do her learners permit test about 2 weeks ago. I could almost see the smile on your face while reading your post that I saw on hers when she passed.

Congratulations to you. Now, get going on some other goals while the getting is good!
We were all teenagers once, some of us come out relatively unscathed.... others hit a few more speed bumps. Success comes to those who overcome those years and are better for it.

Having your license opens up so many options to you, and just knowing that you had the initiative to finally do it makes you feel even better.

Nothing to be ashamed of. You should be proud that you took positive steps forward.

Keep it going! Seriously.

posted on Feb, 25 2014 @ 12:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

Thanks, again. Yeah, I'm from Southern California. I'm actually not that stressed about the road test, just like you. I was more nervous about the written test because, mentally, to me it seems that that part is more black and white. I'm definitely gonna practice with my mom's car, the only thing is that I'm so tall that my legs barely fit under the steering wheel. Once they're in, they're in, but I just hope that the tester doesn't say anything about that. I hope I can take another car. And yeah, I think that I will be hating that aspect of it (insurance, etc.), seeing as how I don't have a job at the moment (I'm living at home). The key for me is just having the driver's license. It's sort of a pain in the butt for me to have to renew my Cal. ID. I sometimes procrastinate, and go without having any ID on me. I don't think I want to take that practice test anytime soon! My whole demon has been about that written test for the past couple decades. I think that the less I see that written test, the better. At least for now.

posted on Feb, 25 2014 @ 12:28 AM
link   
reply to post by mysterioustranger

Yeah, I'm not afraid to drive. I'm just the biggest procrastinator in the world! Haha.

posted on Feb, 25 2014 @ 12:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Kangaruex4Ewe

Well, I'm very happy for your daughter. And I'm pretty sure that we shared the same smile! I couldn't believe that I rocked 100%! The person who checked my test was kind of jerky. The embarrassing part is that I'm far from being a teenager. I don't even want you to guess how old I am. Hahaha.

posted on Feb, 25 2014 @ 12:38 AM
link   

brazenalderpadrescorpio

Well, I'm very happy for your daughter. And I'm pretty sure that we shared the same smile! I couldn't believe that I rocked 100%! The person who checked my test was kind of jerky. The embarrassing part is that I'm far from being a teenager. I don't even want you to guess how old I am. Hahaha.

Most every DMV employee I have ever had to come into contact with was "jerky".
I think it's in the job description.

Your age doesn't matter. My mother in law is 68 and has never taken the exam. She has always been terrified of driving.... so she never did. I can't imagine that myself.

A lot of people live in areas where there is not a huge need for a driver's license. You seem to have gotten along fine without it so far.
It can only get better!
edit on 2/25/2014 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2014 @ 01:30 AM
link   

If you don't drive here in Southern California, you're seen as less than. It's hard to describe unless you've lived here for a significant amount of time. I've definitely become an expert of that unspoken rule here, for having gone so many years without a license. I think that when you have an area where transportation is bad, the culture builds on top of that reality.

posted on Feb, 25 2014 @ 05:15 AM
link   
Me too. but I've had it before. And I'll just be running people over so it's no good.

all the joy in my world is gone so now it's all a chore.

posted on Feb, 25 2014 @ 07:49 AM
link   

I just took my 16 year old daughter to do her learners permit test about 2 weeks ago. I could almost see the smile on your face while reading your post that I saw on hers when she passed.

You have to take a test to get a learners permit now? I'm under 30 (just had a birthday and don't want to talk about it) and don't remember having to do more than show up for mine. I may have blocked out a traumatic memory.

Age requirements for getting a permit
This depends on whether you’re taking a driver’s education course. If you’re:

Enrolled in a driver’s education class: 15 years old
Be sure to apply for your instruction permit 10 days or less before the class starts.
Your school will send us a waiver so you can apply for an instruction permit without taking the knowledge test.
Not enrolled in a driver’s education class: 15½ or older
You’ll need to pass the knowledge test before you can get your instruction permit.

Oh. Back in my day (*sob*) you could take this class through your High School. Now apparently you have to pay some heftier $ and do it privately. I also think 15.5 is the most arbitrary number I've ever seen. I don't think I matured one iota between 15 and 25. But there you go.

I hope those private driving schools still make kids look at awful accident scenes. I'm still freaked out about sun roofs. They had a picture of a SUV flipped over. No big deal until the next slide (I know, I'm old) where we were able to see dude went through his sunroof and was smooshed by the roof of the vehicle when it flipped. And the guy that was riding his motorcycle and hit a tree, legs 5 feet away from the rest of him. Split in half. Domo ALWAYS wears his seatbelt and still hasn't purchased a motorcycle even though every 6 months he gets all nutty and wants one. I almost want to just get a Ducati to put in my living room and sit on.

posted on Feb, 25 2014 @ 08:29 AM
link   

Domo1

You have to take a test to get a learners permit now? I'm under 30 (just had a birthday and don't want to talk about it) and don't remember having to do more than show up for mine. I may have blocked out a traumatic memory.

Happy belated birthday... now I want to ask.

The testing may vary between states, I don't know. I just turned 37 (And I REALLY don't want to talk about it lol.) and we had to pass a written test just to get a learner's permit back then too. Same state for me and my daughter. Maybe you were just really lucky! Don't look a gift mouse in the arse... wait... that's supposed to be mule, donkey, or something. NM.

Age requirements for getting a permit
This depends on whether you’re taking a driver’s education course. If you’re:

Enrolled in a driver’s education class: 15 years old
Be sure to apply for your instruction permit 10 days or less before the class starts.
Your school will send us a waiver so you can apply for an instruction permit without taking the knowledge test.
Not enrolled in a driver’s education class: 15½ or older
You’ll need to pass the knowledge test before you can get your instruction permit.

Oh. Back in my day (*sob*) you could take this class through your High School. Now apparently you have to pay some heftier $ and do it privately. I also think 15.5 is the most arbitrary number I've ever seen. I don't think I matured one iota between 15 and 25. But there you go.

We took the "On The Road" class in school too. She will take that this summer through school. We could pay a private school and she could get it quicker, but she is in no hurry and I am not complaining.
After she passes that, she will have to go back to the DMV and drive the car around with the Trooper UNLESS she gets a 100% on the driving test at school. If she does that, she can skip driving the Trooper at the DMV and just get her license at the courthouse. She has to go before a judge to get it and I did too. Everyone here does.

I hope those private driving schools still make kids look at awful accident scenes. I'm still freaked out about sun roofs. They had a picture of a SUV flipped over. No big deal until the next slide (I know, I'm old) where we were able to see dude went through his sunroof and was smooshed by the roof of the vehicle when it flipped. And the guy that was riding his motorcycle and hit a tree, legs 5 feet away from the rest of him. Split in half. Domo ALWAYS wears his seatbelt and still hasn't purchased a motorcycle even though every 6 months he gets all nutty and wants one. I almost want to just get a Ducati to put in my living room and sit on.

Ha!! Those filmstrips were the worst. At least you got upgraded to slides.
I think they try to scare kids so bad, that they never want to drive at all. Every year the local high schools set up real DUI crashed cars on their campus' with pictures, and reenactments. They stay there for a few weeks at a time. It is gruesome, but so is life I guess. I hope it does scare her bad enough to drive safe. *Fingers Crossed*

You should get a Ducati ($$$)... or rent one for a weekend. All work and no play has to make Domo a boring boy.
Everyone should live their dream if possible for that long at least. Just let the wind run through your luxurious fur...er ...hair.
edit on 2/25/2014 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2014 @ 10:14 AM
link   

The biggest procrastinator? Nah...you haven't met my wife.....

posted on Feb, 25 2014 @ 03:51 PM
link   

After I passed, they gave me a Driver's Permit. I don't know if that's the same thing you guys are talking about. I also got that when I was a teenager. I think that it's beyond an age limit, because I'm in my 30s right now.

top topics

join