It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists mystified as 20 earthquakes hit Oklahoma in one day

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 01:56 AM
link   
reply to post by whatzshaken

That was from July 2013, but you are correct

Now seismologists at Columbia University say they have identified three quakes — in Oklahoma, Colorado and Texas — that were triggered at injection-well sites by a major earthquake a long distance away.

Thanks for the link, I like how it shows the process of fracking

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 02:09 AM
link   
reply to post by berkeleygal

Don't forget the "booms"

The people in Texas had been talking about hearing a loud 'boom' like a bomb or a semi truck hitting their house

Why Texans Are Hearing a ‘Loud Boom’ During Earthquakes
Feb. 3, 2014

“When a fault slips suddenly underground it radiates two different kinds of seismic waves,” Ellsworth tells StateImpact Texas. “One is called a P wave and this is an acoustic wave, the same kind of wave that we hear with our ears. The other wave is an S wave or shear wave, and it’s the wave that carries most of the energy that we typically feel.”

Ellsworth says that P wave travels faster than the S wave and when it reaches the earth’s surface it can create a loud noise under the right conditions.

“So it’s a little like thunder,” Ellsworth says. “You may see the flash in the distance, and then it takes a while for the air wave, in this case, to propagate, and make the boom that, in this case, you associate with lightening.”

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 03:18 AM
link   
Another discussion here www.abovetopsecret.com... has referenced the Oklahoma Geological Survey, showing a list of all known quakes and tremors.
Of interest is the majority amount of quakes is at 5.0 kilometers depth, especially leading up to the 15th of Feb. www.okgeosurvey1.gov...
edit on 18-2-2014 by weirdguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 04:39 AM
link   
I doubt they are related but we just had a fairly rare 4.1 quake here on the GA / SC border near Augusta.

Earthquakes are rare in any light in Gerogia, but when we do have tremmors i am told they are usually farther north in the foothills.

Coincedences an all.

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 06:43 AM
link   

brazenalderpadrescorpio
Wow, 3.5... That's pretty strong... **Laughing hysterically** I don't even feel those.

3.8 just 44 minutes ago..
3.3. 22 minutes ago..
And only 5 km deep..
m.emsc.eu...

Something going on...

edit on 18-2-2014 by cheesy because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 07:06 AM
link   

cheesy

brazenalderpadrescorpio
Wow, 3.5... That's pretty strong... **Laughing hysterically** I don't even feel those.

3.8 just 44 minutes ago..
3.3. 22 minutes ago..
And only 5 km deep..
m.emsc.eu...

Something going on...

edit on 18-2-2014 by cheesy because: (no reason given)

there sure is cheesy

so far today,

Origin Time (UTC) ------- Latitude -------Longitude ----- Depth (km)----- Magnitude
2014-02-18 12:29:49.697000 35.775 +/- 1.1 -97.469 +/- 1.6 5.0 +/- 1.5 2.7 ML OGS
2014-02-18 12:16:44.017000 35.770 +/- 0.9 -97.459 +/- 1.5 5.1 +/- 1.4 3.2 ML OGS
2014-02-18 11:53:51.143000 35.777 +/- 1.0 -97.467 +/- 1.6 5.0 +/- 1.4 3.4 ML OGS
2014-02-18 03:59:08.609000 35.772 +/- 1.0 -97.463 +/- 1.6 5.0 +/- 1.4 2.5 ML OGS
2014-02-18 03:11:19.339999 35.775 +/- 0.8 -97.473 +/- 1.1 5.1 +/- 1.3 2.6 ML OGS
2014-02-18 02:44:11.266000 35.771 +/- 1.0 -97.462 +/- 1.3 5.0 +/- 1.6 2.5 ML OGS
2014-02-18 00:35:06.464999 35.772 +/- 2.7 -97.471 +/- 2.4 4.6 +/- 4.8 1.4 ML OGS
2014-02-18 00:34:37.276000 35.772 +/- 1.4 -97.461 +/- 1.6 5.5 +/- 2.1 1.2 ML OGS
2014-02-18 00:12:24.041000 35.771 +/- 1.0 -97.463 +/- 1.3 5.3 +/- 1.4 1.9 ML OGS

edit on 18-2-2014 by weirdguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 07:39 AM
link   
Thank you for sharing this story. I'm just glad there were no casualties. My thoughts go out to those who lost their property and may have been hurt in some way. I was around San Fransisco during the great earthquake of 89'. The tremors shocked the region and destroyed the Bay Bridge. The damage was massive. An event that is etched into my subconscious to this day. And my word did I feel it! Structures collapse all around me and the earth shook as if a nuke went off underground.

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 08:01 AM
link   
reply to post by AliceBleachWhite

... or a Bunker with Aliens and tube trains to Area 51 while fracking for element 114 , unobtanium, and Dellschau's NB Gas, all at the same time dogs and cats are living together and working with dolphins to mind control everyone with HAARP because of Fukushima, and attempts to restart the lost Atlantis pyramid energy grid in preparation for the return of Nibiru and the Annunaki.

OK. You made me laugh on that one. Especially "Dellschau's NB Gas". LOL! Seriously though. Who knows what's happening? It could be just EQ activity, but it wouldn't surprise me if some corp. or government entity was blowing up something down there.

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 08:01 AM
link   
I believe these cluster quakes that are moving around our country are related to US testing antimatter bombs. They move the tests to prevent them from being obvious. We can make antimatter, we know it can be used to create massive bombs and we know how. There is no way US is not experimenting with this. Of course we are.

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 08:58 AM
link   

weirdguy
Of interest is the majority amount of quakes is at 5.0 kilometers depth, especially leading up to the 15th of Feb. www.okgeosurvey1.gov...

Just a heads up concerning the " 5.0 km depth" that is so common with the quakes in Oklahoma.

It is used as a "default" depth by USGS and other seismic observatories.

Sometimes when depth is poorly constrained by available seismic data, the location program will set the depth at a fixed value. For example, 33 km is often used as a default depth for earthquakes determined to be shallow, but whose depth is not satisfactorily determined by the data, whereas default depths of 5 or 10 km are often used in mid-continental areas and on mid-ocean ridges since earthquakes in these areas are usually shallower than 33 km.

USGS source

When the folks monitoring these quakes are able to manually review them, the depths will be refined--but it may take a few days.

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 09:58 AM
link   
Just a thought, any possibility any of this could be related to a depletion of the Ogallala Aquifer? Wondering out loud here as I'm no geologist, but could the aquifer be depleted enough to reduce weight and cause the crust flex upward? Could the depletion of the aquifer be enough to cause massive caverns opening up and collapsing deep in the crust?

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 10:08 AM
link   
reply to post by snarky412

Since there were barely any earthquakes in 2007, 2008 etc, I think you can forget all about your idea of hydraulic fracturing causing this! This has been a consistent practice of getting natural gas out of the ground for over 50+ years now!

If people can't see the changes from mother earth by now, they need to look at how she is pissed! The worst snow storms in forever, the largest spikes in temperature changes in forever, earthquakes, volcano activity, etc.....Good old mother earth is trying to tell us something and we just blow her off! We need to figure things out soon or all hell WILL break loose....

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 10:20 AM
link   
All these earthquakes in Oklahoma of late can only mean one thing......
They're after our lucky charms!

Silly frackers.

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 10:54 AM
link   

whitewave
All these earthquakes in Oklahoma of late can only mean one thing......
They're after our lucky charms!

Silly frackers.

Or that the charm of their luck has run out.

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 12:05 PM
link   
reply to post by snarky412

Forgive me if someone has already mentioned this, but weren't there plans to relocate the animal disease research facility at Plum Island to a large underground area somewhere in Kansas? Seems like there was a big stink about it and then- nothing. It's not beyond the realm of possibility that they have begun blasting underground to begin construction which could be responsible for the many quakes and the booms. Just throwing it into the mix for consideration.

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 12:19 PM
link   
there is a lot more going on under oklaoma than most people know. as an amateur prospector i learned a lot about the geological history of oklahoma where it touches upon my hobby.

millions of years ago a large side chain of the appalacian mountains bisected oklahoma west to east. those mountains were higher than the himalayan mountains. Now there are a few mountains left in oklahoma and those are barely mountains at all. but these mountains (which existed before the rockies) if i remember correctly were the continental divide before dinosaurs roamed the earth. the witchitas, arbuckles, kiamichi and oiwitchita mountain ranges are remnants of that old primordial range and the rest of it is worn down to granite knobs that are mostly buried along the former line of that range.

there are two large magma uplifts thought to be extinct in the southwest corner and mid-line south part of the state. however there are rumored small kimberlite pipes (which appear to be undocumented/unsupported for the most part in official literature.) these sorts of pipes are where diamonds come from but diamonds form at the bottom of massive pillars of basalt that anchor continents called kratons. I don't know nothing of a existing krayton here. never heard of it being possible. but if there are kimberlite pipes then they came from a krayton.

the central magmatic upwelling (which is certainly real) is one of several sources of gold that may be found in the state along with those old mountains, river flood gold from new mexico and colorado and down-slope glacial run off from the moraines in north kansas and points north as well as several mysterious lodes (like at talogah) that no one knows why they exist because there is no known geological feature or history there that could account for it.

but anyway; it takes huge amounts of tectonic activity to life a mountain range of that class, it takes huge geologic activity to raise diamonds from the krayton bottoms. but there is one more piece of evidence of humongous geological power under oklahoma. in the eastern part. it turns out eastern oklahoma is the west edge of the last manifestation of a giant super volcano caldera that goes on into arkansas and beyond. you know the area of the new madrid fault overlaps this area east of oklahoma as well. though it (the madrid fault area) does not extend to the swarm area nor does the caldera. however SV calderas are caused by a huge mostly stationary hot spot. As the continent drifts over it the surface where it manifests drifts or changes as you can see with the yellowstone eruption maps.

somehow; the USGS does not seem to think any of this is important. but oklahoma has been swarmed by earthquakes lately and i doubt fracking has anything to do with it. but something is causing it.
edit on 18-2-2014 by stormbringer1701 because: typos

edit on 18-2-2014 by stormbringer1701 because: still killing typos

edit on 18-2-2014 by stormbringer1701 because: typos! Typos everywhere!

edit on 18-2-2014 by stormbringer1701 because: still tidying up

edit on 18-2-2014 by stormbringer1701 because: clarification

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 12:59 PM
link   
I am a truckdriver and was in Oklahoma City this past Saturday. I was fueling up and talking to a few drivers at the pump. We all heard a loud boom along with some mild shaking.

We immediately thought a truck had hit something but couldn't see anything. The noise seemed to originate north of where we were located.

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 01:23 PM
link   
I haven't posted in quite some time but it's thread caught my eye since I make my living in the industry. I wanted to clarify though it won't matter to some but it is not fracking that is being studied as a possible cause for the uptick in earthquakes but rather the practice of injecting wastewater from operations into disposal wells.

Our industry is developing new ways of handling wastewater including recycling.
edit on 18-2-2014 by pandora0629 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 02:08 PM
link   
reply to post by cheesy

I was just joking. But I've experienced so many strong earthquakes that I literally don't feel those -- I'm from the greater Los Angeles area.

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Lil Drummerboy
it is the end of us all for sure..
between this and yellowstone..
we are witnessing the end of the world..
earth quakes happen all the time there
lol
But..
on a serious note..
the gates of hell are about to open.. your all doomed..
Oklahoma is fracking central..
but really.......
go shopping.. buy yourself something cool..you deserve it
edit on 18-2-2014 by Lil Drummerboy because: (no reason given)

Yet again!
Coming up with ever-helpful insight into topics, per the usual I see.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join