It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists mystified as 20 earthquakes hit Oklahoma in one day

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+4 more 
posted on Feb, 17 2014 @ 11:49 PM
link   

Residents of Oklahoma were left feeling rattled over the weekend after a strong of some 20 earthquakes as powerful as 3.5 magnitude rocked the central part of the state on Saturday alone.

Areas north of Oklahoma City felt the brunt of the temblors, which some say were accompanied by startling booms like the sound of an explosion.

The mystery earthquake wave now has residents fearing for their personal safety and the security of their property. Meanwhile, scientists have been left scratching their heads over the quakes, which are becoming more frequent each day.

Scientists mystified as 20 earthquakes hit Oklahoma in one day

Another source www.news9.com...
Here too...kgou.org...

Recent Oklahoma Area Earthquakes

A map created by earthquaketrack.com shows the massive cluster of 20-plus quakes that have shaken central Oklahoma in recent days

Oklahoma has a lot of faults, however, with little history of seismic activity in the area, it's unclear why the quakes would become so frequent now.

The controversial hydraulic fracturing has been looked into, but scientists have yet to blame it--or anything--for the quake swarm.

The energy industry has repeatedly insisted that the practice is safe. Scientists researching the theory say it's not clear yet whether fracking can trigger significant quakes.

What is sure is that the quakes are growing in frequency.

No injuries reported, only structural damages

*Did a couple of searches and did not find this....please remove if duplicated*

edit on 18-2-2014 by snarky412 because: add links

edit on 18-2-2014 by snarky412 because: added local links

posted on Feb, 17 2014 @ 11:53 PM
link   
I felt an earthquake there Dec. of 03. I was on my way out west and we stayed in Norman for the night. Around ten or eleven the next morning, it hit. Felt like a big-a$$ sonic boom. Not sure if that predated fracking, but it isn't without precedent...

+1 more 
posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 12:00 AM
link   
Perhaps there is a new bunker system being built in secret.

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 12:05 AM
link   

weirdguy

Maybe they broke through into a nest of the tall insect looking greys, and now having a major battle?
Just being funny, but this has been said to have happened before. I think it could be true.

I wasn't being sarcastic here, and stranger things have happened than this..
edit on 18-2-2014 by alienreality because: (no reason given)

+3 more 
posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 12:09 AM
link   

While one academic paper that linked that quake to the oil industry, it hasn't received much scientific support.

www.ktul.com...

Fracking brings BIG money...and anecdotally (as well as academically) more than just the one academic paper has been linked to an uptick in quakes. No real surprise that the effects are being downplayed.

edit on 18-2-2014 by Maluhia because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 12:11 AM
link   
reply to post by weirdguy

... or a Bunker with Aliens and tube trains to Area 51 while fracking for element 114 , unobtanium, and Dellschau's NB Gas, all at the same time dogs and cats are living together and working with dolphins to mind control everyone with HAARP because of Fukushima, and attempts to restart the lost Atlantis pyramid energy grid in preparation for the return of Nibiru and the Annunaki.

On a more serious note; the uptick in tremor frequency is interesting.
I wonder what other data sets can be overlaid on this for comparison and potential accountability factors?

edit on 2/18/2014 by AliceBleachWhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 12:16 AM
link   

AliceBleachWhite
reply to post by weirdguy

... or a Bunker with Aliens and tube trains to Area 51 while fracking for element 114 , unobtanium, and Dellschau's NB Gas, all at the same time dogs and cats are living together and working with dolphins to mind control everyone with HAARP because of Fukushima, and attempts to restart the lost Atlantis pyramid energy grid.

On a more serious note; the uptick in tremor frequency is interesting.
I wonder what other data sets can be overlaid on this for comparison and potential accountability factors?

You have got to stop reading B.I.N.... your first paragraph looks like they wrote it

I have family in WV and fracking is fueling their boom. However, I beleive they said they had tracked a few quakes near Youngstown, OH to fracking practices...

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 12:21 AM
link   
reply to post by AliceBleachWhite

"dogs and cats are living together?"
yeah I can believe that part, seen it myself here at home, cat died of natural causes, but he was fast!

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 12:22 AM
link   
Member westcoast posted some more information on this here: www.abovetopsecret.com...

It looks like a hell of a lot of activity in a short period of time!

S&F!
edit on 2/18/2014 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 12:25 AM
link   
I'm not big on Mail Online for a source for much of anything. Whenever it may be related to something ideological, the articles are like the New York Times and can be pretty misleading.

To even begin to look at this you would need millions of years of earthquake history to make a guess, but this map of historical earthquakes might help...

Earthquakes are far from unusual there.

When they use words like "massive cluster" in the info below the image in the article, you know your not reading something based on fact, but rather emotion IMO.

They don't even bother to mention aftershocks can number in the hundreds or more after the initial quake or that they can be larger or smaller than the original.

The old data on this historical map is probably lacking most earthquakes that have occurred. Few people could even feel anything under a 2 to begin with.

That's just another weak attempt from the anti-oil, anti-fracking crowd who shy away from giving full info and facts IMO. I doubt the hundreds if not thousands of small quakes in that area people could not feel, that occurred before modern instruments and recording methods had anything to do with fracking.

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 12:32 AM
link   
Don't forget the "booms"

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 12:42 AM
link   
When did the increase in fracking start in Oklahoma? If it was near the end of last decade, well....

That's too damned big a spike in quakes to be coincidence.

Fracking seems like a pretty stupid idea in a drought stricken state to boot.

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 12:45 AM
link   

muzzy
reply to post by AliceBleachWhite

"dogs and cats are living together?"
yeah I can believe that part, seen it myself here at home, cat died of natural causes, but he was fast!

Dogs and cats living together is a sure sign of the apocalypse according to the Ghost Busters movie.

madmac5150

You have got to stop reading B.I.N.... your first paragraph looks like they wrote it

I have family in WV and fracking is fueling their boom. However, I beleive they said they had tracked a few quakes near Youngstown, OH to fracking practices...

Didn't get any of it from that site; all bits and pieces that can commonly be found on various threads here at our wonderful ATS.

As to fracking, I find it interesting that "Scientists" (generalized and unnamed) have yet to correlate data making any suggestions to these recent and seemingly (according the graphs) sudden uptick in tremor activity.

It should be a matter of collating heavy industry activities, and certain specific practices (fracking) along time lines to overlay on tremor frequency graphs.

Hydroelectric projects too, if any, can cause significant seismic effect due ground stress caused by the weight of huge reservoirs of water pooling behind dams.

Have there been any Dam Building projects?

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 12:46 AM
link   
Wow, 3.5... That's pretty strong... **Laughing hysterically** I don't even feel those.

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 12:47 AM
link   
it is the end of us all for sure..
between this and yellowstone..
we are witnessing the end of the world..
earth quakes happen all the time there
lol
But..
on a serious note..
the gates of hell are about to open.. your all doomed..
Oklahoma is fracking central..
but really.......
go shopping.. buy yourself something cool..you deserve it
edit on 18-2-2014 by Lil Drummerboy because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 12:50 AM
link   

AliceBleachWhite

Have there been any Dam Building projects?

Now that's a question that makes sense to me. Of course it could be that every few hundred years swarms of quakes hit there and we would not have that data.

I hate it when articles take leaps like this one and are written by people with preconceived notions, but then that's today's media.

The article is so bad, it's barely worth reading IMO.

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 12:52 AM
link   

alienreality

weirdguy

Maybe they broke through into a nest of the tall insect looking greys, and now having a major battle?
Just being funny, but this has been said to have happened before. I think it could be true.

I wasn't being sarcastic here, and stranger things have happened than this..
edit on 18-2-2014 by alienreality because: (no reason given)

Those fracking aliens

I recently watched a tv show that featured a cold war bunker built into a fancy hotel. A large interior wall was a steel blast door/entrance to the bunker. This one,
www.greenbrier.com...

Weather someone is building one or not I don't know, if all of the quake depths are the same it would be suspect.

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 12:54 AM
link   
Those earthquakes originate from Meers Fault, that last time slipped around 1300 years ago, producing 6.5-7.0 magnitude earthquake. There was unusual activity in 2009 and 2010.

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 01:03 AM
link   
Just thought I'd post this for those that care

www.usgs.gov...
Oct. 22, 2013

The U.S. Geological Survey and Oklahoma Geological Survey are conducting collaborative research quantifying the changes in earthquake rate in the Oklahoma City region, assessing the implications of this swarm for large-earthquake hazard, and evaluating possible links between these earthquakes and wastewater disposal related to oil and gas production activities in the region.

Studies show one to three magnitude 3.0 earthquakes or larger occurred yearly from 1975 to 2008, while the average grew to around 40 earthquakes per year from 2009 to mid-2013.

"We've statistically analyzed the recent earthquake rate changes and found that they do not seem to be due to typical, random fluctuations in natural seismicity rates," said Bill Leith, USGS seismologist. "These results suggest that significant changes in both the background rate of events and earthquake triggering properties needed to have occurred in order to explain the increases in seismicity. This is in contrast to what is typically observed when modeling natural earthquake swarms."

In other words, something other than natural seismic shifts in the faults are at play here

Once more studies are done, then maybe they can pinpoint the obvious
That when you force thousands of gallons of liquid into the earth, eventually something has to give

Also this is another chart off of eqcharts.com...

Doesn't take a rocket scientist to see the difference in activity before and after the oil and gas industry boomed
They may not be strong EQ, thank God, but they are extremely numerous none the less

edit on 18-2-2014 by snarky412 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 01:48 AM
link   
Now seismologists at Columbia University say they have identified three quakes — in Oklahoma, Colorado and Texas — that were triggered at injection-well sites by a major earthquake a long distance away.MSM

S & F !!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join