It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists mystified as 20 earthquakes hit Oklahoma in one day

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2014 @ 01:00 PM
link   

snarky412
Just thought I'd post this for those that care

www.usgs.gov...
Oct. 22, 2013

The U.S. Geological Survey and Oklahoma Geological Survey are conducting collaborative research quantifying the changes in earthquake rate in the Oklahoma City region, assessing the implications of this swarm for large-earthquake hazard, and evaluating possible links between these earthquakes and wastewater disposal related to oil and gas production activities in the region.

Studies show one to three magnitude 3.0 earthquakes or larger occurred yearly from 1975 to 2008, while the average grew to around 40 earthquakes per year from 2009 to mid-2013.

"We've statistically analyzed the recent earthquake rate changes and found that they do not seem to be due to typical, random fluctuations in natural seismicity rates," said Bill Leith, USGS seismologist. "These results suggest that significant changes in both the background rate of events and earthquake triggering properties needed to have occurred in order to explain the increases in seismicity. This is in contrast to what is typically observed when modeling natural earthquake swarms."

In other words, something other than natural seismic shifts in the faults are at play here

Once more studies are done, then maybe they can pinpoint the obvious
That when you force thousands of gallons of liquid into the earth, eventually something has to give

Also this is another chart off of eqcharts.com...

Doesn't take a rocket scientist to see the difference in activity before and after the oil and gas industry boomed
They may not be strong EQ, thank God, but they are extremely numerous none the less

edit on 18-2-2014 by snarky412 because: (no reason given)

In 2009, the state had more than 32,000 oil wells, almost 9 percent of the U.S. total.

Link

Coincidence?

posted on Feb, 23 2014 @ 04:23 PM
link   

TXTriker
reply to post by stormbringer1701

If you haven't you should do a thread on this info. If you have, a link would be great. I noticed that you referenced Tom Steed. I was born and raised in OK and our family farm was taken to create Tom Steed. They put the ranger station where the farmhouse was. Spent many a weekend on that farm.

Still have family there and some of them have posted about the booms being heard around Altus.
edit on 2/23/2014 by TXTriker because: grammar

you know..it's an amazing thing. it seems that any place that has the potential to make someone rich seems to mysteriously become a reservoir, a wildlife refuge or some sort of govt property. i mean everywhere in the U.S. but especially in oklahoma. you see the miners, sooners and boomers caused so much trouble for the various governments that i suspect they really did not want people knowing there was gold in oklahoma.

as to the gold related lore of oklahoma and other states a good place to look is the GPAA forums. i did a thread there where i put virtually everything i know pertaining to gold history and mineral location in oklahoma. also a bit about louisiana too.

link: www.goldprospectors.org...

Meers was hauled off the indian reservation and jailed several times both by the cav and by indian police. his and his fellow gold mad brethern nearly initiated several indian wars by jumping the gun on occupying indian territory before it was opened for settlement. he was nearly single handedly responsible for the creation of Ft. Sill. to keep the peace between the settlers and the
rightful inhabitants of that land. the original boom town of Meers had to be moved off about 1/2 a mile outside the borders the refuge.
edit on 23-2-2014 by stormbringer1701 because: added stuff and stuff

edit on 23-2-2014 by stormbringer1701 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2014 @ 04:27 PM
link   
All part of the strange underground rumbles that have been heard in places all over the world the last five years or so.

Reports also saying that a "sinkhole epidemic" is expected soon all over the USA, as crumbling infrastructure such as underground tunnels start to collapse, unless something is done, which appears unlikely.

posted on Feb, 26 2014 @ 11:25 PM
link   
Well, we've had some big quakes in the last couple of days. Big for the area, anyway. Per OGS:
2014-02-27 00:19:09.557000 36.448 +/- 1.7 -97.074 +/- 1.6 4.4 +/- 5.9 3.2 ML OGS
2014-02-26 19:44:36.926999 36.591 +/- 3.6 -97.810 +/- 3.3 5.0 +/- 6.4 3.0 ML OGS
2014-02-26 19:30:33.329999 36.675 +/- 10.6 -97.693 +/- 10.8 5.0 +/- 0.0 3.4 ML OGS
2014-02-26 18:18:01.939000 36.587 +/- 4.0 -97.812 +/- 3.9 5.2 +/- 6.9 3.0 ML OGS
2014-02-24 16:44:59.441000 35.817 +/- 0.9 -96.943 +/- 1.0 4.3 +/- 2.0 3.2 ML OGS
2014-02-24 11:22:45.996999 35.568 +/- 0.6 -97.348 +/- 0.9 5.0 +/- 1.3 2.7 ML OGS
2014-02-24 11:20:49.343000 35.565 +/- 0.9 -97.343 +/- 1.2 4.2 +/- 1.7 2.9 ML OGS
2014-02-24 00:11:32.518999 36.171 +/- 1.4 -96.979 +/- 1.4 6.0 +/- 0.0 3.1 ML OGS
2014-02-23 20:11:05.227999 36.716 +/- 3.0 -97.702 +/- 2.2 5.0 +/- 0.0 2.6 ML OGS

My concern is these 3+ magnitude quakes are getting more frequent. It's further away from my house, at least, but these are in weird spots.

posted on Feb, 27 2014 @ 06:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Greven

My concern is these 3+ magnitude quakes are getting more frequent. It's further away from my house, at least, but these are in weird spots.

Wow....thanks for the update
Hopefully they all stay away from your house

posted on Feb, 14 2016 @ 07:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: TXTriker

If you haven't you should do a thread on this info. If you have, a link would be great. I noticed that you referenced Tom Steed. I was born and raised in OK and our family farm was taken to create Tom Steed. They put the ranger station where the farmhouse was. Spent many a weekend on that farm.

Still have family there and some of them have posted about the booms being heard around Altus.
lake tom steed and sandy creek and otter creek are all in the same area. a guy with nothing more than a sluicebox or a pan claimed a couple of ounces a day if i recall correctly. Otter creek is on a reservation but it is one of the rare areas in OK where nuggets have been recovered.

The others being the cimmaron river, trail creek (the eastward one) near talogah/woodward, mount scott, and other mountains in the wichita mountain range, and the vicinity of mccurtain county in south east OK.

Texas is also rife with gold lore and verified history. in addition to the presidio, there was the american mine in the hill country. llano river/honey creek. The spanish left diggings from waco south to the border and westward to llano and beyond. then there was the guadalupe mountains and Sublett's fabulous lost mine.

www.odessahistory.com...

additionally i have lapidiary instructor contacts that avow that local farmers between grayson college and the red river have found gold flakes and powder in thier drainages.

this does not surprise me as i know that on the other side of the river gold exists at least as far south as the northern edge of durant and there was a mine south of ardmore owned by a famous local family. before there was a lake texoma the prospectors from ravia prospected the wa#a drainage into the red river and a metal detector hobbyist allegedly found a gold nugget in lake texoma drainages a few years ago.
edit on 14-2-2016 by stormbringer1701 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 05:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: stormbringer1701

lake tom steed and sandy creek and otter creek are all in the same area. a guy with nothing more than a sluicebox or a pan claimed a couple of ounces a day if i recall correctly. Otter creek is on a reservation but it is one of the rare areas in OK where nuggets have been recovered.

The others being the cimmaron river, trail creek (the eastward one) near talogah/woodward, mount scott, and other mountains in the wichita mountain range, and the vicinity of mccurtain county in south east OK.

Texas is also rife with gold lore and verified history. in addition to the presidio, there was the american mine in the hill country. llano river/honey creek. The spanish left diggings from waco south to the border and westward to llano and beyond. then there was the guadalupe mountains and Sublett's fabulous lost mine.

www.odessahistory.com...

additionally i have lapidiary instructor contacts that avow that local farmers between grayson college and the red river have found gold flakes and powder in thier drainages.

this does not surprise me as i know that on the other side of the river gold exists at least as far south as the northern edge of durant and there was a mine south of ardmore owned by a famous local family. before there was a lake texoma the prospectors from ravia prospected the wa#a drainage into the red river and a metal detector hobbyist allegedly found a gold nugget in lake texoma drainages a few years ago.

Interesting - going back in Sept for vacation - might do some panning!

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 07:43 PM
link   

Interesting - going back in Sept for vacation - might do some panning!

www.goldfeverprospecting.com...

Placer gold can still be found in numerous creeks in Comanche, Greer, Jackson, Kiowa, and Tillman Counties. Here are some of the better known locations:

Headwaters of Otter Creek (Tillman and Jackson Counties) North Fork of the Red River (Greer and Jackson Counties) Middle Otter Creek (4 mi SE of Roosevelt in Kiowa County)

looking for the sand or sandy creek reference. i think it is somewhere around snyder. I'll edit it in if i find it.

Addendum: this report explains why in general there is no large scale interest in oklahoma gold even though there are traces of it everywhere.

www.okhistory.org...

Despite all the time, money, and labor put into it, gold mining in the Wichitas was doomed to failure. Only isolated pockets of ore had high assay values, and the overall value of the ore per ton did not warrant large-scale production. Further, the surface veins proved to be of small size and quickly pinched out at shallow depths. In its 1916 report on the state's natural resources, the Oklahoma Geological Survey noted that "much prospecting has been done in Oklahoma for gold and silver. The search has been carried on for years, and up to the present time not enough has been found to be of any economic value." I

There are veins with fantastic assay values but the veins should be called veinlettes. they get you to invest and invest and invest in men and property and equipment and then they disappear and you won't find the next veinlette if it exists (not tunnel mining anyway.)

But when a man finds a concentrated placer or a vienlette by himself... What is not economical for a company with lots of overhead is not not economical for an individual. a vienlette like the ones found near ravia would make a man a millionaire if he could work it himself.

here is a story about indians and a BIA indian agent and a pact between them in eastern parts of oklahoma:

digital.library.okstate.edu...

three vienlettes. three mines. these men did quite well.

there are a few other accounts of this tale that have other details that are helpful for those that seek these mines and you might dismiss it as legendary -but i have gold hunter contacts that say two of these three mines has been found so i believe that they exist. and there is a reason the U.S. Govt found out about this mining activity. and that story is how we can know all of these mines were within 50 miles of the old mccurtain county seat.

incidentally when you do find elemental gold in oklahoma it is usually so pure that it could be minted without further purification. it is as bright yellow as dahlonega georgia gold which is legendary. and the mineral (usually sylvanite) bound gold is most often bound in really really valuable impurities. tellurium, silver, platinum, rhodium and traces of other neat stuff. also if you find pyrite it's not worthless in fact some okie pyrite actually has some real gold in it. for that matter even black sand may be a coating for tiny gold particles and some use heat cracking and bleach to extract molecular gold from it.

www.blogoklahoma.us...

There are pictures of the cyanide mill before it was removed from it's foundation. it was massive. One has to ask why would someone build all of this stuff if the mine it was for never assayed out real gold values? the official story was that the owner perpetrated deliberate fraud and build all this stuff to carry it out. ask yourself: how likely is that? why not just dig a shallow shaft and salt that? and why are there archived news clippings about people getting near 2 ounces of powder and flake gold per day out of creeks using nothing more advanced than a pan, rocker box or a portable sluice in that same area?

edit on 17-2-2016 by stormbringer1701 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2016 @ 11:21 PM
link   
Oh i finally found it:

rebelcherokee.labdiva.com...

(Exerpt from Ms. Adams and Mr. McClure's column)

Oct. 2, 1949 --- A gold lode waits for a prospector in the foothills of the Wichita Mountains.

Down a sandy Creek, a little north of Mountain Park, a sourdough can pan $44.00 worth if he works 17 hours. "Sure can", says George Read, tool dresser and miner, "but it's flour gold….fine as dust."

Read, a white-haired Mountain Park man who doesn't do much now except work on election boards and recall his mining days, can tell a story of earlier days when Mountain Park and Cold Springs pioneers had the gold fever.

Their description is actually true of most oklahoma gold found at the surface. this stuff is so fine you can barely see it in the pan (fortunately i have a pocket microscope so i see giant gold meteorites). its as fine as talc to bird shot size if you are lucky. But 44 buck in 17 hours. 44 bucks back then was about the price of 2 ounces of gold. that is an awful lot of baby powder dust particles passing through your pan sluice or rocker.

In that area there are several sandy creeks or sand creeks. i don't know why cartographers or surveyors do that but there is another gold creek in oklahoma i am partial to that has an evil goldless twin within about 5 kms up by talogah.
edit on 17-2-2016 by stormbringer1701 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2016 @ 09:08 AM
link   
with electrostatic dry washers or with sluices with specialized riffle mats you can retain a heck of a lot more fine gold than those old timers could with their cobbled up equipment. (for dry washing you'd have to dry your pay dirt out on a tarp before processing it.)

Gold topped out in the recent past at 1700 dollars an ounce so those guys would be getting over 3000 dollars a day if they were operating during the recent spot price high or northwards of 2000 dollars a day at the current price.
edit on 18-2-2016 by stormbringer1701 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2016 @ 02:59 AM
link   
a reply to: stormbringer1701

Don't forget Devils Canyon. In the early 19th century Mexicans took alot of gold out of there.(or so its told) There was (is) a Kiowa tale of raiding a mule packtrain and killing every Mexican to take the 'yellow rocks that they toiled so long for. Only to bury it somewhere around Teepee mountain. This story was told by a Kiowa woman who claimed to be 100 years old in Pioneering in Kiowa County....which was published in 1976. She claimed her grandfather told her and he claimed to be a part of the raiding party. She claimed the gold was in ingots and the Mexicans were taking it back to mexico. I'll have to dig out my books and re read that story to refresh my memory.

I've been in Devils Canyon many, many times as I grew up withing 15 miles of it and was lucky enough to have two close friends (brothers) who's grandfather owned the NE access to the canyon. I have seen the smelter pits and the ruins of the ore grinding trough just NE of the old Wichita Indian ruins at the mouth of the canyon. Even saw the snake carving on the stone that was supposedly put there by Spaniards.....not Mexicans mind you, Spaniards.

posted on Feb, 21 2016 @ 03:01 AM
link   
We need a thread just on Oklahoma treasure lore.....it would fill a book! Lol (it already has :-) )

posted on Feb, 21 2016 @ 03:29 AM
link   
Yup we can't be far away from the U.S. Event now! The New Madrid is nearly ready to adjust, best be far away from this area and the West Coast.

The pressure has stalled in Central America and also coming from above down through Alaska around the Pacific ring, this pressure will converge on the U.S. west Coast and we will have the lynchpin event on the Juan De Fuca plate. Best of luck to all those state side but this will finish the U.S. Off unfortunately-be out of all danger areas asap!

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 10:22 PM
link   

Your post are very interesting and relativity accurate, I hadn't read the entire thread before posting the other night.

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 11:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: EdSurly
We need a thread just on Oklahoma treasure lore.....it would fill a book! Lol (it already has :-) )
it sure would. just in the last few days i ran across old archived news clippings and other literature on gold mining in two more counties. i thought i had read all there was but more keeps popping up.

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 11:07 PM
link   
BTW if you haz 125K dollars there is a 108 acre land plot bisected north to south by that sandy creek those old timers mentioned in the article i cited. (it is otter creek.) and it's on the market. Imma gonna go look at it. see if i can pan samples on it. the agent will let me; i'm certain of that. there is property for sale exactly on trail creek near taloga too.

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 11:32 PM
link   
1.4 billion years ago there were no Rockies. but there were the Appalachians and the east west branch went through Oklahoma. The continental divide in fact was west to east. so what ever titanic force raised those mountains and they are thought to have been as high as the Himalayas are today or even higher; something may be sleeping under the central U.S. so deep that normal methods of geology do not see it clearly and any surface traces are completely understated due to erosion.

posted on Feb, 23 2016 @ 11:50 PM
link   
a reply to: snarky412

Its called solidifying a Tulpa- You gonna need more than current weapons science and technologies to fight whats coming.

posted on Feb, 24 2016 @ 12:06 AM
link   

just south of where your folks lost their farm to eminent domain (literally about 200 yards southeast of the lake ) is a 108 or 112 acre parcel of fallowed crop land for sale. otter creek runs right through it. otter creek is the gold bearing creek often mentioned in Oklahoma gold location books, threads and articles.

obviously it's in the flood plain and it is predictable that land that has been plowed, had all large stones, brush and timber removed and worked for decades for crops would most likely be a sloppy boggy muddy mess when it rains heavily.

but IT'S ON OTTER CREEK!!!
edit on 24-2-2016 by stormbringer1701 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2016 @ 11:17 AM
link   

You mean the land just below the dam? Right behind where that old general store used to be? I think the park rangers house is there now but I could be wrong. I used to know that lake like the back of my hand....but I got married, had kids and sold my bass boat :-( My dad and the rest of the local bass club in my home town spend weeks putting out fish cover (Christmas trees and cedars bound together with rope and weighted down with concrete blocks) in the days leading up to the lake filling in the mid seventies. Steed used to be a fantastic bass fishery, I remember as a kid watching the Freddy Grant Fishing Show (now that's a blast from the past!) and he had a show on Tom Steed. I also remember being at the dam opening ceremony...I couldn't have been more than 4 or 5.

I looked at Russ real estates website but didnt see any land fitting your description. Is it listed out of an Altus real estate company? Anyway...buy that land and Ill help ya pan! I just spent (as in last week the loan closed) 6 figures expanding my small business so I'm spread thinner than melted butter at the moment...financially speaking that is.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join