It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists mystified as 20 earthquakes hit Oklahoma in one day

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 02:24 PM
link   

pandora0629
I haven't posted in quite some time but it's thread caught my eye since I make my living in the industry. I wanted to clarify though it won't matter to some but it is not fracking that is being studied as a possible cause for the uptick in earthquakes but rather the practice of injecting wastewater from operations into disposal wells.

Our industry is developing new ways of handling wastewater including recycling.
edit on 18-2-2014 by pandora0629 because: (no reason given)

Indeed, most induced seismicity related to processing petroleum is from waste water injection, but the initial process does indeed induce microseisms which can occasionally be felt.

Abstract: We compile published examples of induced earthquakes that have occurred since 1929 that have magnitudes equal to or greater than 1.0. Of the 198 possible examples, magnitudes range up to 7.9. The potential causes and magnitudes are (a) mining (M 1.6 - 5.6); (b) oil and gas field depletion (M 1.0 - 7.3); (c) water injection for secondary oil recovery (M 1.9 - 5.1); (d) reservoir impoundment (M 2.0 - 7.9); (e) waste disposal (M 2.0 - 5.3); (f) academic research boreholes investigating induced seismicity and stress (M 2.8 - 3.1); (g) solution mining (M 1.0 - 5.2); (h) geothermal operations (M 1.0 - 4.6) and (i) hydraulic fracturing for recovery of gas and oil from low-permeability sedimentary rocks (M 1.0 - 3.8).
emphasis mine

Induced Seismicity and Hydraulic Fracturing for the Recovery of Hydrocarbons

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 07:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Blaine91555

Hey there, I've been lurking ATS for some time, and I joined in response to this thread since I live very close to this earthquake swarm. While Oklahoma has had many earthquakes, this current swarm is pretty insane. We've had at least 27 earthquakes in (mostly) a quarter mile radius (most of these, I've felt) in the last day. This has been pretty weird.

On the map you've related, the most geologically active area is far to the south of this swarm of earthquakes. This massive swarm of earthquakes is, on that map of Oklahoma, in the vaguely L-shaped county (Logan county) just above and to the left of the M 4.3 marked tooltip. Within Logan county, the quakes are located smack in the middle of the 'no quakes happened here' in the south-central area, just west of the multi-county-spanning N/S dashed line.

I've lived here nearly 20 years, and this has never happened before. The last quakes we felt were a few of the stronger ones south of Lake Arcadia, and the big 5+ tremor a couple of years back.

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 11:12 PM
link   
reply to post by IamAbeliever

I do hate to post back-to-back, but I wanted to reply specifically to this and it's well past editing the previous post - this boom you heard is what we are hearing with most of the nearby earthquakes over this past (nearly) week. Only tenths of a second pass before the shake (S-wave) occurs following a boom (P-wave), but I suppose it's at least a warning. Even the small (under 2) magnitude quakes are frequently booming, despite not usually feeling a shake with those (sometimes the walls creak). Not all of them have made booms, and not all booms have been followed by quakes.

Proximity and depth have a lot to do with feeling earthquakes, and these seem to be shallow and are definitely close. Some of the earthquakes we've felt (and some booms we've heard) have not been listed on the Leonard Geophysical Observatory page. We've had something like 142 nearby (less than 5miles away) quakes in 104 hours, last we counted.
edit on 18-2-2014 by Greven because: < was interferring with formatting

posted on Feb, 18 2014 @ 11:14 PM
link   
Fascinating (and scary!) thread on the EQ swarm in Oklahoma. Up thread someone mentioned a fairly recent (within the last several years) EQ in Youngstown, OH. This passed summer I started an ATS thread on the LOWERING ceiling of a salt dome OFF the Cleveland, OH Lake Erie shoreline. During my reading (albeit minor research on Ohio geology) I learned that the Youngstown area has been noted for seismic activity since it's earliest settlement...and that (if memory serves me) had a major EQ in 1910.

FWIW, the oil/natural gas industry HAS been drilling/fracking in OH for many many years (starting at about the time Oil was discovered in Oil City, PA--not that far away as the crow flies). One of the best Petroleum/Natural Gas Engineering schools in the US is in a small town in OH (Marietta College).

PLEASE note, I am NOT trying to hijack thread in any way...I just wanted to give my background info I learned about Youngstown OH (as it was previously mentioned)

Prayers and good thoughts to Oklahoma and Louisiana (the ongoing sinkhole) residents who are having to deal with these awful situations.

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 03:32 AM
link   
reply to post by snarky412

>>> It's some kind of underground excavation going on. They may indeed be fracking for deep gas and oil, or they have something being dug out under there bunker wise.

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 04:26 AM
link   
UTO? - Unidentified Tunneling Object??

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 07:30 AM
link   
It's due to an epic battle underground between forces of good and evil.

It's explosions going on in the various network of deep underground bases.

Remember the strange couple EQs that happened on the east coast in the recent past? One damaged the Washington monument and one was off the coast. The one that damaged the monument supposedly didn't fit the normal seismic pattern for an EQ and instead looked more like an underground explosion.

The one off the coast was supposedly the safe detonation of the stolen nuke from Texas that Obama was trying to set off on the east coast in order to force the country to support military intervention in Syria.

;-)

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 10:46 AM
link   
Did someone say Alien Cats and Dogs working together LOL \

Cat Alien
www.blastr.com...
www.blastr.com...
www.blastr.com...
www.blastr.com...

Dog alien
themacchoi.blogspot.com...
img651.imageshack.us...

img690.imageshack.us...
img837.imageshack.us...

Well Against the Race of Alien Apes US!! LOL

Sorry need some Humor on ATS !

but its strange 20 Earthquakes in one day the Underground base Builders must of hit something hard

so is there Alien bases in Oklahoma ???

What could it be??...

or is it Underground nuclear testing !! well minor

Oklahoma Geological Survey Nuclear Explosion Catalog
www.okgeosurvey1.gov...

edit on 19-2-2014 by Wolfenz because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Well I just took a look at the general area in which these are all focused; seems like they're mostly around a place called 'Liberty Lake' - which, being the largest body of water in the area; as well as the least densely populated area within 50 miles probably; seems like a good place for a geologist gone skitzo, a government agency gone ... normal, aliens, or just some nutjob - to set off a bunch of charges, or through some other devious means activate said earthquakes.

My conspiratorial thoughts aside though - this Being the largest body of water, and the least densely populated area around, makes it arguably the most susceptible to this kind of activity - but what strikes me as odd is that it's all so centrally located and there isn't much existing 'landscape' to speak of. Looks pretty flat to me - which says to me there isn't much history of heavy geological activity.

My personal take as a sub-amateur geologist ( not even really ); but more-so as someone who looks at the bigger picture...

The large buildup of tension on the west coast ( California ) is something that I feel could easily push a 'butterfly effect' outward to the entire continent. There are similarly a lot of other places in the country that are experiencing high geological activity; and many of these other activities may very well have a similar 'butterfly effect' on everything on the continent. Imagine 'gods finger' pushes California 'inland' as a whole ( I know, not the actual geological movement ) - it would push heavily into the neighboring states and diminishingly into every state neighboring those; with respect to direction of movement... ...

If a third of the states around the country are experiencing massive geothermal, geological, and hydrodynamic changes - it only stands to reason that the rest are soon to follow in some degree or another. Yellowstone is grumbling, we've got record weather across the country, California is due a quake that will plunge us off into the Pacific, and all the while everywhere 'around' these monuments to natures wrath, small 'new' things are happening - sinkholes, earthquakes where they shouldn't be, monumental landslides and geological 'cracking' that has never before been documented.

I'm curious ( simply because I haven't done the research ) what the rest of the nations overall geological stability was like when the big San Fransisco quake hit...

My bet is that - like that knot in your shoulder - once everything around it loosens up, something's gonna give. That or Aliens.

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Here is a report released on the current quakes

OGS

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 05:43 PM
link   
reply to post by whatnext21

it has to do with the drought.
when water evaporates from soil, the soil
cracks.
there has been do little rain for so long that the cracks are
going deeper and deeper into the subsoil.
watering your lawn will prevent earthquakes

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 05:51 PM
link   

No surprise. The New Madrid Fault is not that much far away. There have to be splinter faults at various levels in the mantle to cause quakes in other places.

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 06:12 PM
link   
reply to post by littled16

Forgive me if someone has already mentioned this, but weren't there plans to relocate the animal disease research facility at Plum Island to a large underground area somewhere in Kansas? Seems like there was a big stink about it and then- nothing. It's not beyond the realm of possibility that they have begun blasting underground to begin construction which could be responsible for the many quakes and the booms. Just throwing it into the mix for consideration

That's the first I myself have heard of this
Thanks for the info
Will try to find out more about it

Like another poster stated, it may just be that Mother Nature is trying to shake us off like fleas on a dog
Pissed at us for digging into Her .....LOL

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 07:23 PM
link   
reply to post by whatnext21

Thanks for posting that link. At this time I'll take the scientists on the scene's word that they don't see oil/gas recovery as the origin of the increased quake activity. The reporting authority is funded at this time by the taxpayers of Oklahoma I believe. However, according to the report, they are seeking a federal grant to study this issue further. It will be interesting to see what conclusions they can reach when sponsored by an administration that basically wants all wells capped for eternity.
I spoke with a fellow who used to work in the oil business, he's got degrees in geology and fluid systems, has studied it for many, many years. When I asked him about this swarm last evening, he said basically the same thing the above linked reports says; that the pressure caused by injections isn't enough to create this much movement of the crust. He says the physics simply don't work. Now I was never very good in physics, passed the classes but...so I can't relate his reasoning. Perhaps someone who isn't abysmally ignorant in that subject could explain it without the jargon---or make the opposite argument. I entertain all theories.
I readily admit that I have a vested interest in this issue in the form of ownership of mineral rights in oil country. There are at least 27 wells in South Dakota sitting idle since Shrub's EPA shut them down due to "possible pollution" even though no pollution was ever documented despite repeated inspections of the wells. Three of those wells sit on property homesteaded by a relative of mine a century ago. At least 5 companies have endeavored to re-start production of these wells and have been stymied at every attempt. It makes no sense whatsoever to shut down clean-pumping wells and deprive the owners of revenue, thus depriving state and federal governments of revenue as well. If the oil doesn't get pumped, the state doesn't get their taxes, the owners of the well don't get paid so they don't pay any federal taxes---and we end up buying oil from the Saudi Arabia---go figure...

This swarm of quakes does make one sit up and take notice---it was only a bit over 200 years ago that the middle Mississippi Valley was seriously depopulated after the New Madrid fault had a several-month conniption. Of course, there are no official records for that mess, so it leaves one wondering what, if any, "warnings" they may have had prior to the big shakes. It might be an interesting research project to see if the newspapers in the region reported any similar occurrences prior to the Big Shakes of 1811-12.
edit on 19-2-2014 by diggindirt because: clarity

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 07:37 PM
link   

snarky412[/i

Also this is another chart off of eqcharts.com...

Doesn't take a rocket scientist to see the difference in activity before and after the oil and gas industry boomed
They may not be strong EQ, thank God, but they are extremely numerous none the less

Amazing what the oil/petrol industry gets away with, from ongoing oil mega oil spills to fracking practically in peoples backyards without their permission.

USGS has confirmed the correlation between fracking/pumping and seismic events.. yet nobody is being held accountable for these ecological disaster

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 11:40 PM
link   
An update on the situation - we had a 3.2 this morning, about 10:44 am local time. The last quake was a 1.8 magnitude which happened about 3:33 pm local time (slightly over 8 hours ago from this post).

We've only had a total of 7 quakes in the last 24 hours, which hopefully means this is winding down! It's the least amount of quakes we've had in a day since this whole thing started.
edit on 19-2-2014 by Greven because: clarification

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 12:55 AM
link   

snarky412
Just thought I'd post this for those that care

www.usgs.gov...
Oct. 22, 2013

The U.S. Geological Survey and Oklahoma Geological Survey are conducting collaborative research quantifying the changes in earthquake rate in the Oklahoma City region, assessing the implications of this swarm for large-earthquake hazard, and evaluating possible links between these earthquakes and wastewater disposal related to oil and gas production activities in the region.

Studies show one to three magnitude 3.0 earthquakes or larger occurred yearly from 1975 to 2008, while the average grew to around 40 earthquakes per year from 2009 to mid-2013.

"We've statistically analyzed the recent earthquake rate changes and found that they do not seem to be due to typical, random fluctuations in natural seismicity rates," said Bill Leith, USGS seismologist. "These results suggest that significant changes in both the background rate of events and earthquake triggering properties needed to have occurred in order to explain the increases in seismicity. This is in contrast to what is typically observed when modeling natural earthquake swarms."

In other words, something other than natural seismic shifts in the faults are at play here

Once more studies are done, then maybe they can pinpoint the obvious
That when you force thousands of gallons of liquid into the earth, eventually something has to give

Also this is another chart off of eqcharts.com...

Doesn't take a rocket scientist to see the difference in activity before and after the oil and gas industry boomed
They may not be strong EQ, thank God, but they are extremely numerous none the less

edit on 18-2-2014 by snarky412 because: (no reason given)

Whoa, hold on here! Your chart covers only a tiny fraction of the time oil/gas extraction has taken place in Oklahoma. There have been gas and oil wells in Oklahoma since at least the mid 1880s when some of my native ancestors established the first oil company, so to say that the industry is to blame, based on less than 10 years of data is just grasping straws. The people actually engaged in studying the issue in a non-biased situation report that they have don't have enough data to make scientific claims about the cause of earthquakes. It is the folks with one bias or another than are picking pieces of what scientists have reported and using those scraps to promote their views. I've seen it plenty of times with all sides guilty. These are folks who are "studying studies" and such, not the people out there on the ground doing the real investigations. (And just a note here on "studying studies"---unless or until you have been a part of one of these "review of studies" you have no idea what pretzel shapes a scientist must assume to put their name on such a work. If an article begins, "...reviewed over 200 professionally produced studies of....", be very wary of any conclusions drawn. There is simply no way to accurately extract information from studies using 200 different methods, or even 30 different methods.) The scientists will tell you flat out that a ten or twenty year data set is laughable in geologic issues.
There have been, over the past 120+ years any number of booms and busts in the oil business in Oklahoma. Perhaps it would be of help to you to do a bit of research before making such sweeping statements about "Doesn't take a rocket scientist..." Maybe not, but a rocket scientist would look at all the data.
I'm not saying one has nothing to do with the other---like the people studying it, I'm interested to see the information they are assembling. Perhaps there is another graph somewhere showing the entire sequence since they began punching for oil/gas? I'm not computer savvy enough to go and find it. Then, you would somehow have to find the entire history of earthquakes in the area---before they began punching holes in the earth, for an honest scientific comparison.
A geologist friend explained it this way and it made a lot of sense to me. Living things have a DNA sequence that can be accurately read due to advances in technology. Under the perfect conditions as little as one hair can tell a scientist what creature lost the hair and something about the history of the creature. Mother Earth is not like that. We can't take just little bits of hair or skin and unlock her mysteries. She's far more complex than any single living creature and is influenced by forces we don't quite understand fully.
I don't mean to come off as snarky here, I just can't let half-told tales stand as the entire picture.

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 07:15 AM
link   
reply to post by jadedANDcynical

Interesting study though it does seem to indicate that more study is needed, specifically in Oklahoma which has been historically seismically active.

The Oklahoma Geological Survey issued a position statement February 18 regarding the recent swarm. I believe a link has been posted below by another member. apologies for not including it here...I am on mobile device and slightly technologically hindered. It can also be found on their website. www.ogs.ou.edu/homepage.php

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 07:55 AM
link   
when it comes to Oklahoma I do not trust the USGS for much. I Do not think it is a conspiracy because thier abject ignorance of oklahoma goes back to the 1800s. thier surveyors studied oklahoma and said there was no commercially significant amounts of gold .

however during the spanish and french exploration periods through the indian territory days and on to the boomer sooners and into the early 1900s there was a lot of gold and silver mining going on. The Spanish left holes all over the place. the French too. and the native americans had mines. then Mr Meers bum rushed the western Indian reservations and was in large part responsible for the inception and existence of ft sill because he kept invading the witchita mountains mining gold. there was a gold rush in the witchitas where 2400 mine shafts were dug. there are ghost towns like wildman that were rush towns. The indians had hidden gold mines in south eastern oklahoma that are documented. there was a gold rush around ardmore. there was a gold rush at ravia with 40 shafts dug. there are spanish, french and settler mines on the kiamichi river. there was gold in the arkansas oitchitas and that spills over into the oklahoma oitchitas. there are two gold producing magma updwellings. we have local lore of diamonds being found a little east of here. in oklahoma; not the crater of diamonds in arkansas. besides the native oklahoma gold there are gold from kansas glacial moraines and gold that comes from texas, new mexico, colorado and wyoming via river flooding of major west to east rivers. we also have a weird lode deposit in the midwestern part of the state which has no know reason for being there. that primordial mountain range is responsible for a lot of fine to microscopic gold in virtually every drainage in oklahoma. I can go out to a road ditch at random pan out a gravel deposit and likely find a speck or two.

oil men report gold nuggets, platinum. silver and gems in the tailings from well exploration all the time. usually in ancient riverbeds or alluvial fans from the primordial mountain range. usually 100 to 300 meters down.

there is a supervocano caldera under the eastern side of the state. supposedly extinct. yah..but unlike normal volcanoes; super volcanoes remain stationary as the continental plates drift over them so the surface site migrates between eruptions. the hot spot might be under central oklahoma after these millions of years.

at any rate the USGS surveyors were wrong and the USGS continues to be wrong a century or more later.

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 08:12 AM
link   

AliceBleachWhite
reply to post by weirdguy

On a more serious note; the uptick in tremor frequency is interesting.
I wonder what other data sets can be overlaid on this for comparison and potential accountability factors?

How about sinkholes..

if there have not been any as yet---it would be interesting to see where newly created sinkholes appear... like in the vicinity of all those tremors/quakes the OP widget map pinpoints

generally B follows A and 2 follows 1
... so all that fracking &/or sediment migration which includes the theory of "Expanding Planet Hypothesis" is probably what has caused the 'quakes' in the first place... that underground strata displacement has also likely made pockets of Voids below the surface... which will eventually be seen as Sinkholes on the street level

thanks

stormbringer 1701 very potent info there
edit on th28139290595520192014 by St Udio because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join