It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Save a turkey this year - have tofu "turkey" instead.

page: 14
<< 11  12  13   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 19 2016 @ 10:28 PM
link   
Ah the celebrated Turkey day thread. As always: Mules though out the day made with Cock and Bull Ginger Beer and Hanger One Vodka

Pre meal: Karaburun (Iranian Ossetra Caviar) Paired with a Krug "Grande Cuvée" 162 Ème Édition. No we don't add all the crap like onion, hard boiled eggs etc. Why would you mask the taste of the caviar?. House made Poke using a traditional Hawaiian recipe

Prime Rib (The pilgrims were starving otherwise they would have had prime rib) USDA Prime. 5 bones rack on with a nice salt crust.
Au Jus, creamed horseradish (yes the horseradish is from the garden)
grilled asparagus
Instead of the baked potato we are going with house grown fingerling potatoes roasted with shallots and lardons. Creme Fraice on the side
Caesar Salad with house made dressing and croutons

WIne: 2011 Clos Saint-Jean "Deus Ex Machina" Châteauneuf-du-Pape, 2009 Schrader "Beckstoffer To Kalon CCS" the white will be a 2013 Clos des Papes Châteauneuf-du-Pape Blanc

I have not formalized the desert options as of yet.
edit on 11/19/16 by FredT because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2016 @ 11:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Mynaeris

If everyone boycotts turkeys this year, what do you think will happen to them?

They will be culled and thrown away...even more wasteful than eating them.

God dammed hippies

posted on Nov, 19 2016 @ 11:21 PM
link   
I have been trying to perfect a ham dish that we once had at a friends several years ago.

It was the juiciest, tastiest ham dinner I had ever eaten.

My friends wife just called it her 7-Up ham.

I've tried to re-create her recipe on a number of occasions to no avail. I'm going to try again this week coming up.

Any suggestions?

posted on Nov, 20 2016 @ 02:34 AM
link   
a Turkey can only live about 10 years. So when they're large enough, they make a fine dish. Okay so say you don't eat it. What would happen to that turkey???

In the wild it will be hunted down by preditors and eaten

In captivity it is a useless eater.

So in captivity it's life's value is to provide for humans and produce offsping (to a large dregree). Too foo? what's in too foo anyway? that's nuts. Trust me, at the end of your life they'll be plenty more turnkeys, pigs, cows, chikens, and people to go round. So while your alive, "LIVE". dONT' BE BRAINWASHED

posted on Nov, 20 2016 @ 06:32 AM
link   
a reply to: truthtalk44

In the wild it will be hunted down by preditors and eaten

The turkeys you buy at the store could not survive in the wild. In fact, they have been so deliberately mis-bred that they cannot even reproduce without human intervention. Commercial turkeys live a painful, dysfunctional life; the poultry industry is an abomination. If you cannot raise your own turkeys or hunt for wild fowl, the least you can do is purchase a "heritage" bird.
edit on 20-11-2016 by DJW001 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 20 2016 @ 06:46 AM
link   
a reply to: Mirthful Me

We got invited to our close friends who live around the corner. I was asked to prepare the turkey so it will go into the brine on Wednesday while I prep the giblet gravy which will be finished once the non-tofu turkey is done warming itself.

I also received a mayday call from our friend's daughters saying, 'Mom's mashed potatoes suck, we like yours', so I will also be preparing those. Baked, riced and then mixed with copious amounts of butter and heavy cream and a sprinkle of fresh chives which are still growing in my garden.

I will be bringing a bottle of Rittenhouse to make some cherry bourbon sours and a 2008 Chateau Beaucastle Châteauneuf-du-Pape for my section of the table.

I am also thinking of making a pumpkin swirl cheesecake with pumpkin seed brittle garnish and crème Angelaise.

edit on 20-11-2016 by AugustusMasonicus because: Zazz 2020!

posted on Nov, 20 2016 @ 09:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
I have been trying to perfect a ham dish that we once had at a friends several years ago.

My friends wife just called it her 7-Up ham.

I've tried to re-create her recipe on a number of occasions to no avail. I'm going to try again this week coming up.

Any suggestions?

Ham is a fickle bird... So to speak...

While I have no doubt as to the merits of "7-Up" or any other holiday ham preparation, it is the actual ham that determines the end result. For some reason, there is a prevailing thought that a ham is a ham is a ham, and nothing could be further from the truth. First, do you want a a country or a city ham? Second, are you willing to pony up for a quality ham? Good ham isn't cheap, and even the best of the value hams (Costco's Kirkland brand) is a far cry from Honeybaked which in turn is no match for a specialty producer like Nueske's. There are some small local purveyors that could easily put them all to shame, only to be eclipsed by the pièce de résistance, the Jamon Iberico... But I digress...

Quality ham will make that recipe shine...

edit on 11/20/2016 by Mirthful Me because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 20 2016 @ 09:48 AM
link   

I'm going with a local butcher who does their own brine. It'll be a bone-in.

posted on Nov, 21 2016 @ 11:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

Any suggestions?

Aside from going Honeybaked? Thats seriously good pork.

My grandmother used coke or dr pepper (with a bit of bourbon) to make the glaze for the ham. It sounds odd but its really quite good. You might try that, the other issue is slow cooking might help (like a prime rib plan on hours)

posted on Nov, 21 2016 @ 11:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mirthful Me
pièce de résistance, the Jamon Iberico... But I digress...

Quality ham will make that recipe shine...

Mmmmmmmmm Jamon, at room temperature, with a good Tortas de Casar (I'm a total Catalonia snob but this is great cheese), and a fresh sourdough baguette. As Mirthfull will testify we have some excellent cheese shops in my area. Need a big Rioja for that combo
edit on 11/22/16 by FredT because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2016 @ 11:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

I will be bringing a bottle of Rittenhouse to make some cherry bourbon sours and a 2008 Chateau Beaucastle Châteauneuf-du-Pape for my section of the table.

Good choice on the wine. I haven't had the 08 yet, I'm mostly drinking the 03-07's I have and the Hommage a Jacques Perrin from this Chat. is really awesome

posted on Nov, 24 2016 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Pair of Martinelli's for the dinner course...
edit on 11/24/2016 by Mirthful Me because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 11  12  13   >>

join