It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Save a turkey this year - have tofu "turkey" instead.

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 13 2010 @ 10:24 PM
link   
See below...

edit on 13-11-2010 by Patron Saint because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2010 @ 10:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by jacksmoke
No, I will not eat a tofu turkey. I have already harvested a bird during hunting season. There are many reasons why I hunt. Population control, because there aren't enough natural predators. Population control, because there isn't enough food for large flocks. Population control, because large numbers of wild animals lead to diseased population. Population control, because large flocks devastate cropland. Population control, because turkeys can reproduce like rabbits.

Most impotatntly, wild game doesn't have all the chemical and hormones that are pumped into Jenny-O turkeys.

Meat its the reason we have pointy teeth.

[edit on 9-11-2009 by jacksmoke]

[edit on 9-11-2009 by jacksmoke]

Couldn't have said it better...

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 08:39 PM
link   
Mmmmm.... Turkey....

Hope everyone enjoys their day.

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 08:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Mynaeris

Tofurkey huh? Can I ask you vegetarians a question? I am curious.... Is it just that you don't like eating things that were once alive? Because plants are living things as well...

Surely you all know that though, so it must be more than that.... Or really I guess the reasons for being a vegetarian vary from person to person, but I am kind of curious as to your reasons and to what you object to if anything.

That said, I will be having my turkey and eating it to. I must say, I do love meat. But more power to those who choose to stick to a vegetarian diet.

Peace and love

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 08:49 PM
link   
tofu???? how about nofu?

It's Thanksgiving and I'm eating Turkey. No time to be fake, especially on Thanksgiving.

posted on Nov, 24 2010 @ 08:57 PM
link   
I was a vegetarian for about 20 years - I now eat fish and poultry. I have had tofu turkey - pretty good. Tofu takes on the flavor of the spices and other veggie ingredients you cook it with. With that said we are having a small organic farmed hen with all the trimmngs. Can't wait for the pumpkin pie, ummmm!

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 06:26 PM
link   
The annual bump...

Before I red eye my way from left to right coasts, I thought I'd dust off this gem of erudite musings...

Thanksgiving will be as carnivorous as ever for me, and be featuring wines of a Burgundian theme, both red and white...

Happy Thanksgiving to all...
edit on 11/23/2011 by Mirthful Me because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 06:33 PM
link   

I tried and tried to eat anything involving tofu and I just cannot do it.
No dis respect intended here at all......the wife is a Yoga instructor.
This stuff should be outlawed all together.......it is bloody awful, from the texture to the taste to the pain in the ass trying to make it look good and taste good.
Regards, Iwinder

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 06:43 PM
link   
Can you imagine...

Obama pardoning bean curd?

I'm sure he would be on board with it... It's not like he and that fry eating wife of his are going to chow on the PETA approved flavor vacuum that is tofurkey...

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 06:47 PM
link   
Thanks for reminding me of some of the many reasons I haven't eaten meat in years, OP. For Thanksgiving, nothing beats Tofurky for my family and I. Makes great sandwiches, and tastes pretty close to the real thing, in my opinion (especially since I smoke it like I used to do real turkey).

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 07:31 PM
link   
reply to post by jeramie

Holy olfactory and gustation hallucinations Batman...

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 07:49 PM
link   
Yumm
Tofu.. yes the soy ingredient that will eventually turn all men into woman and sterilize all babies..
Not to mention give you cancer as well,. thank you monsanto

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 08:38 PM
link   
Well, should pictures tell all.. Should I have this????

Or this??

Hummm...Still Thinking......

edit on 23-11-2011 by lyons666 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 08:42 PM
link   
I think I will choose this one!!!

LOL...
Happy Thanksgiving to all.. Weather you eat Tofu or the real thing.... Have a great holiday!
edit on 23-11-2011 by lyons666 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 09:12 PM
link   

OT: No, my turkey is already sitting in the fridge waiting to be consumed with full on animalistic bloodlust. This will be a fest that shan't be forgotten!

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 07:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mynaeris
Every year millions of turkeys are sacrificed in order that Americans can show their thanks. How about all people NOT have turkey this year - the following facts from the PETA site might be of interest to ATS members. Let's give the turkeys something to be thankful for too?

"More than 45 million turkeys are killed every year for Thanksgiving alone, and more than 300 million are killed for food throughout the year in the United States. These beautiful, inquisitive, intelligent birds endure lives of suffering and painful deaths.

Did you know?

• Factory-farmed birds are fed antibiotics and have been purposely bred to gain an enormous amount of weight in a short period of time. This leads to heart attacks, crippled feet, and painful, swollen joints. The bones and leg muscles of many birds give out under the weight of their huge upper-bodies, and countless others are barely able to stand.

• On factory farms, turkeys live for months in sheds where they are packed so tightly that flapping a wing or stretching a leg is nearly impossible. Most are given no more than three and a half square feet of space. They stand in waste, and urine and ammonia fumes burn their eyes and lungs.

• To keep the
overcrowded birds from scratching and pecking each other to death, part of their beaks and toes are sliced off with hot blades, and no anesthetics are used.

• Millions of people become sick and thousands die each year from eating contaminated flesh. Studies indicate that one out of every eight turkeys is infected with salmonella bacteria.

• Turkey contains no fiber but has lots of fat and cholesterol. For example, a roasted turkey’s leg contains 724.5 milligrams of cholesterol and derives 42 percent of its calories from fat—more than many cuts of beef."

etc etc

www.peta.org...

In case you haven't guessed a vegetarian here - Tofurkey dinner here on thanksgiving.

[edit on 22-11-2004 by Mynaeris]

That's great! I respect the fact that you're a vegetarian, and I am a meat eater. I am sorry but I will consume my organic turkey. We don't get butterball turkeys we get the turkeys that have a wonderful life until they die. There are a lot fo farms in Maine that treat their turkeys with respect, and let them roam and have a great life, those are the ones we will consume.

Plus, no offence but every year i to read or hear about this, and honestly I am tired of hearing it. It's like a Christian telling me I am going to hell because I didn't pray..and you are saying i am an evil meat carnivore because I like Turkey one day a year. Enough already we get the point, you eat what you will eat and let me have mine!

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 07:41 AM
link   

LET'S EAT SOME TURKEY!!!!

How about you worry for the millions of Americans who might not have anything to eat and instead of wanting to give them tofu, you give them a turkey instead?...

We are carnivores, and we need meat as much as we need a balanced diet that includes veggies...

Save an American family and give them a turkey.

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 08:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by gimme_some_truth

Tofurkey huh? Can I ask you vegetarians a question? I am curious.... Is it just that you don't like eating things that were once alive? Because plants are living things as well...

Peace and love

Yes, plants were alive as well, but lets look at the difference between the two, and the diffence in which they promote/undermine compassion as part of human perception:
1. When you try to catch an animal, it will run for its life.
A plant does not move or show any sign of wanting to escape.

2. Any animal screams and cries out when hurt. When we kill animals, and birds, horror and fear can be seen in their eyes.
We do not percieve pain from plants when we pick their fruit.

3. A sensitive (unexposed to desinsitisation) mind has a built in horror for blood and open flesh, violence and pain.
We do not experience any bleeding in plants, or horror, or violence when picking fruit.

4. Eating flesh hardens the mind and cuts the human off from his feelings of compassion.
A fruit and veg diet is extremely cleansing and upliftment is experienced as well as a higher sense of awarness.

5. In the Golden age, Adam and Eve (man and woman) ate the fruit of paradise. Most people that had experiences of alien abduction profess that the aliens find the eating of meat barbaric, and urge us to start acting like custodians over our fellow creatures, not killers of our fellow creatures!

6. The law of karma says: an eye for an eye. Every time an animal is killed to please your palet, you stock up on negative karma which you will have to pay. Most ancient eastern philosophies teach this.

Have a heart, why does the low intellect of a turkey justify you eating it? Shall we start eating all the downs babies and so on?????

That piece of flesh you are eating, is not much different from the piece of flesh on your own body. Substance wise.

For god sake, people, tofu needs flavouring etc. But most vegetarians don't touch the stuff. We don't need to substitute that which we never ate in the first place.

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 08:46 AM
link   
The turkeys will still be dead. The difference is, they will be thrown away when they go out of date after you don't buy them and cook them. We have a duty to eat the turkeys today, don't let them die in vain!

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 09:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by sysop317
The turkeys will still be dead. The difference is, they will be thrown away when they go out of date after you don't buy them and cook them. We have a duty to eat the turkeys today, don't let them die in vain!

Thats just justification. If you don't eat them, they will go to waste only one year. Two years max. Cause if you don't eat them, they won't breed them, and then their lives can get back to a normal natural cycle and balance.

Keep breeding them so you can keep stuffing your face?

Why not rather stop interfering with their natural cycle and let them breed naturally? Then there sure wont be any turkeys going to waste.

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join