It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Save a turkey this year - have tofu "turkey" instead.

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 11:48 AM
link   
reply to post by captaintyinknots

Yeah... You might want to read the thread in it's entirety before tangentially commenting...

It's about bean curd vs that noble bird...

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by captaintyinknots

Forgive me if this has already been said, I haven't read all the posts.

Did you know that Monsanto owns a 98% market share of all soy beans in the United States?

Tofurkey, while privately owned, still uses monsanto beans.

not as clean as it all seems.....

Eating tofurkey over real turkey is absolutely retarded. I guess if your a peta nut and you really want turkey but why deny yourself something you really want?

If you really want to make a statement don't even celebrate this god forsaken holiday, its basically a day to celebrate our raping and pillaging of native people.

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Soy is not a health food, just the opposite. I feel bad for people that try to eat it since they think its healthy, but alas it is not. I've read dementia and soy have a connection, and soy is often contaminated with aluminum. It's too bad organic turkey wasn't cheaper, now that for definitely be the way to go. Very healthy, and it'd taste fantastic.

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 11:58 AM
link   
UMM TURKEY !

Taste's so good that if i put a slab of it on my head my tongue would slap clean thru my brain to get to it.

EAT IT ALL UP !

hahahaha

Take care.

Regards
Lee

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 12:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Mirthful Me

Two things I enjoy about going to my parents for the Holidays- Food and Snowboarding!
On the menu: Turkey and Elk (assuming my dad gets an Elk, this week)...
Looking forward to a fabulous dinner with family, friends, drinks...
'boarding and football (in the snow with friends, not on t.v.!)

ETA: pray for snow!!!

[edit on 9-11-2009 by LadySkadi]

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Yum , Turkey!!!!! Going out next weekend to try and shoot a few. If that fails, the old Amish farmer down the road will hook me up!

Now why in God's name would I want to eat GM modified, factory farmed, over-processed, environment destroying, ass-tasting tofu!?!?!?!?!!? That stuff is pure crap!
Aside from the fact that the only flavor that is has is akin to vomit - it doesn't have a single redeeming value to it!

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by ghaleon12
Soy is not a health food, just the opposite. I feel bad for people that try to eat it since they think its healthy, but alas it is not. I've read dementia and soy have a connection, and soy is often contaminated with aluminum. It's too bad organic turkey wasn't cheaper, now that for definitely be the way to go. Very healthy, and it'd taste fantastic.

Also, soy isn't good for men since it contains estrogen like compounds. Unless ya like man boobs.

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mirthful Me
reply to post by captaintyinknots

Yeah... You might want to read the thread in it's entirety before tangentially commenting...

It's about bean curd vs that noble bird...

Umm yeah. I caught that part. I have also seen many posts (including the OP)in this thread stating that turkey(and meat in general) in unclean and bad for you.

My point is that tofurkey is not all that clean and great for you. As I said, Monsanto owns a 98% market share in soy beans. Tofu is made form soy beans. Monsanto advocates GMO's in every way.

Seems you may have missed MY point, Mirthfulme.

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 03:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Mynaeris

The turkeys we eat at christmas are specialy bread for this, this is their whole purpose of existance!

i for one will enjoy my turkey, LOL, enjoy your tofu >.< ... ive had tofu before and it was ok, im no great turkey fan, but it will be turkey over tofu any day.

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 04:28 PM
link   
I think the thread title is misleading. Regardless of your Thanksgiving choice, the same amount of turkeys will die. Just saying...

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 04:51 PM
link   
For you who are going to do the TOFURKEY
Make sure it's

organic and non genetically modified soy

Really important.
Happy Non-Turkey Day to all of us veggies.

[edit on 9-11-2009 by spinkyboo]

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 04:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by spinkyboo
For you who are going to do the TOFURKEY
Make sure it's

organic and non genetically modified soy

Really important.
Happy Non-Turkey Day to all of us veggies.

[edit on 9-11-2009 by spinkyboo]

Unfortunately, if you are trying to avoid GMO's, organic doesnt cut it. In America, when something is labeled organic, it means it was grown organically-the seeds themselves could still be "round-up ready" or other GM....

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rawhemp

Originally posted by captaintyinknots

Forgive me if this has already been said, I haven't read all the posts.

Did you know that Monsanto owns a 98% market share of all soy beans in the United States?

Tofurkey, while privately owned, still uses monsanto beans.

not as clean as it all seems.....

Eating tofurkey over real turkey is absolutely retarded. I guess if your a peta nut and you really want turkey but why deny yourself something you really want?

If you really want to make a statement don't even celebrate this god forsaken holiday, its basically a day to celebrate our raping and pillaging of native people.

First of all, I just have to point out, since I find the word so completely offensive, that if you are going to label people as 'retarded', you ought to make sure you know the difference between things such as 'your' and 'you're'. Calling such names, and then showing a lack of understanding of simple words, makes people like me(who work with the handicapped) sit back and laugh at what is considered 'retarded'/

Also, there is nothing 'retarded' about eating tofurkey, or any 'faux meat'. I eat them all the time, they are delicious, and very nutritious.

[edit on 9-11-2009 by captaintyinknots]

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 05:05 PM
link   
I think the problem with vegetarianism is that they push foods that are supposed to somehow simulate meat. soy bacon soy turkey soy burgers.Though veggies burgers are not bad.

It immediately puts someone in the mindframe that you compare the veggie replacement to the original.

Instead of trying to convince people that veggie replicas are the alternative, sell it as a new genre altogether.

don't try to replace, see it what it is, a whole different food genre.

I am an animal advocate, but I can't stand soy. Nor am I vegetarian. I don't think people are meant to be vegetarians.

But I don't think we are supposed to eat as much meat as we do. Much less hybrid chemical corn fed meat.

Poultry eats protein. They eat bugs. They are meant to roam free. they are not meant to have white juicy meat.

Real turkey is actually brown. And not like what you are used to seeing. If you eat REAL or heritage turkey, and someone slipped it to you, you wouldn't recongize it as the same animal.

Now we have the real mature people here who predictably come out and rub it in they are meateaters. Not namign names. Almost as a jeuvanile retaliation.

No animal should ever be abused. I don't care if it is a food source or not.

It is an easy way to dismiss something uncomfortable so you can continue yoru gluttony.

But no animal should ever endure such terrific conditions.

If you think it is ok, go ahead and tour an entire turkey plant, and if it doesn't bother you, turkey away.

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 07:14 PM
link   
Mmmmmmmm

Well as always:

We will be roasting a USDA Prime standing rib roast (That will be basted with butter
also an Honeybaked Turkey breast for the wife.
Baked potatos
Wedge Salad with homenade blue cheese
Green beans with pancetta
Rissoto with fava beans and pancetta

You will not that every cource will have bacon in it. The rib roast will have a few slices of bacon in the dripping to flavor the basting mix.

The real question is what to serve wine wise.

Im thinking 2005 California Pinot (Perhaps a Kosta Browne Koplen Pinot) or a 1995 Conn Vineyard Cab

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 07:31 PM
link   

Unfortunately, if you are trying to avoid GMO's, organic doesnt cut it. In America, when something is labeled organic, it means it was grown organically-the seeds themselves could still be "round-up ready" or other GM....

Being that I eat organic, I'm very sure that the organic label doesn't include GMO. But if someone finds something different and can post it, I really need to know lol.

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 08:58 PM
link   

ok you really shouldn't believe the "facts" according to PETA.

there are 2 different types of turkeys that are farm raised. the type that ends up on the dinner table is called a young turkey. the "facts" Peta provided are for breeder birds. which DO NOT end up on the dinner table.

and whether they are breeder or young turkeys while at the farm they have more than enough room to move around flap their wings and walk around. their pens are cleaned daily at the very least.

the farmed raised turkeys are not beautiful, intelligent birds they are ugly and very dumb!they will drown themselves if left outside in the rain. they can fly but usually don't unless being chased. they do not suffer a painful death. before they are killed they are knocked unconsious by a small electric shock.

the white meat of the turkey (breast, tenderloin, wing) is better for you than any cut of beef.

i use to work in a turkey plant and volunteered many hours of over time out on the farms. i think i know a little bit more about a farm raised turkey than PETA since 99% of them have probably never seen a farm raised turkey let alone know anything about the process a turkey goes through from hatchling to your dinner table.

oh BTW ya'll are welcome at my place for thanksgiving dinner. i have 2 30 pound turkeys that i'll be cooking. 1 smoked and 1 fried. and if asked nicely i might even buy another to bake

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 09:08 PM
link   

mmmmm. you're post got me all hungry for turkey. ham too, but that's a different story. happy thanks giving to you.

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 09:12 PM
link   
Yeah, tofu sounds great, especially during a family gathering, why u ask,. ah , let me say that after dating a vegan for a while, I always wondered why she always had to fart so much, till I realized that soy creates lots-o-gas. So yes. bring on the tofu with your most respected family and let the fun begin.

posted on Nov, 9 2009 @ 09:25 PM
link   

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join