It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Atheism being accepted as “Today’s Religion” over all religions?

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2014 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Jesuslives4u

You state that Jesus pretty much came in the first place was to "Listen to God, not man". You need to study your bible because that is the farthest thing from the truth. Jesus came so that you can be saved from punishment in hell and then on to eternal death. Must I go into detail? Why, when you proclaim to be Christian.

Furthest thing from the truth? He was the LIVING EXAMPLE of how we're supposed to live. It isn't as simple as "oh my yes, I believe in Jesus"

Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?

YOU need to study YOUR Bible, and get the bigger message.

posted on Feb, 4 2014 @ 11:52 AM
link   

posted on Feb, 4 2014 @ 11:58 AM
link   
Furthermore, a good Christian knows that it's pointless to try and convert people.
The Bible says in MULTIPLE places something to the effect of "No man comes to God unless called by God."
That isn't our job. Our job is to lead by example.

And whosoever shall not receive you, nor hear your words, when ye depart out of that house or city, shake off the dust of your feet.

No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him: and I will raise him up at the last day

edit on 4-2-2014 by graphuto because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2014 @ 12:12 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 4 2014 @ 12:13 PM
link   
reply to post by graphuto

The Bible says in MULTIPLE places something to the effect of "No man comes to God unless called by God."

I generally hang up on telemarketers.

posted on Feb, 4 2014 @ 09:44 PM
link   

Jesuslives4u

FyreByrd

EyesOpenMouthShut
I have no religion and have studied many. I don't believe there is a god because of lack of hard evidence for for it (nobody except for a few ancient tales have even seen a god) if it exists, it's absent and silent. However, I would be compelled to reevaluate my stance if in fact and i mean IF there was some kind of stone solid proof that god exists. Hell, any deity.

Sidebar - I think we create our own god(s). So the only solid proof is between your own ears - insanity or reality who can say?

Yet Nero sat and ate his dinner as he watched Christians either being burned alive or eaten alive by animals. Christians who died because of their beliefs.

All the apostles were murdered because of their faith.

Your hearts have hardened and you speak wicked and vile things about things you know nothing of.

It is clear God has not shown you the truth.

May God have mercy on your soul.

Say what? Sense please, relevance please

posted on Feb, 4 2014 @ 09:47 PM
link   

graphuto
Furthermore, a good Christian knows that it's pointless to try and convert people.
That isn't our job. Our job is to lead by example.

And whosoever shall not receive you, nor hear your words, when ye depart out of that house or city, shake off the dust of your feet.

No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him: and I will raise him up at the last day

edit on 4-2-2014 by graphuto because: (no reason given)

... and people of other religions and no religions can be good examples to follow as well.

posted on Feb, 4 2014 @ 10:30 PM
link   
reply to post by FyreByrd

Atheism is just one more way of getting the job done. Takes the vanity out of the picture too.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 08:19 AM
link   
After a schism, a question: Can atheist churches last?

religion.blogs.cnn.com...
www.huffingtonpost.com...

Jones told CNN that the split was "very sad," but overall contributed to the vibrancy of the atheist community itself. He said, "Ultimately, it is for the benefit of the community. One day, I hope there will soon be communities for every different type of atheist, agnostic and humanist. We are only one flavor of ice cream, and one day we hope there'll be congregations for every godless palate."

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 08:20 AM
link   

AfterInfinity
reply to post by FyreByrd

Atheism is just one more way of getting the job done. Takes the vanity out of the picture too.

What job is that AI?

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 08:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

I disagree with the whole atheist church thing. It would be better designated as a science convention or something, reviewing the methodologies and products that science has yielded and is still yielding for the benefit of our world. It could also explore the effects our technologies have on the natural processes of our world and if and how such developments could be resolved in the best interests of both man and planet. Instead of, you know, blathering on about how much we don't believe in a god.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 08:37 AM
link   
Atheism isn't a religion... never has been, never will. I don't see how hard that is for people to comprehend.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 09:08 AM
link   
Atheism is a religion. A lot of atheists are evangelists of their beliefs, it's embedded in their sense of reasoning. They shouldn't all be faulted for it, although some can do well not to take it too far. Just like Christians, Atheists are well known for being over-zealous. Save for agnosticism, it is the easiest religion to get into, and like agnosticism, it's the direct result and antithesis of other religions.

Believing in big bang theory, and evolution isn't atheism, that's theoretical science. Atheism is centered around denying the existence of God. They may not intend to convert necessarily, but an atheist will certainly tell you you're wrong. Other religions are tame compared to the overzealous nature of atheism.

It is a growing culture and should be taken seriously. The problem is that the only moral example they have to follow is fueled by the resentment of other religions.
I'm not telling them to respect other beliefs or give anyone any breaks, but there is nothing rational about bringing emotion into an argument.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 09:15 AM
link   

Jarring
Atheism is a religion. A lot of atheists are evangelists of their beliefs, it's embedded in their sense of reasoning. They shouldn't all be faulted for it, although some can do well not to take it too far. Just like Christians, Atheists are well known for being over-zealous. Save for agnosticism, it is the easiest religion to get into, and like agnosticism, it's the direct result and antithesis of other religions.

Believing in big bang theory, and evolution isn't atheism, that's theoretical science. Atheism is centered around denying the existence of God. They may not intend to convert necessarily, but an atheist will certainly tell you you're wrong. Other religions are tame compared to the overzealous nature of atheism.

It is a growing culture and should be taken seriously. The problem is that the only moral example they have to follow is fueled by the resentment of other religions.
I'm not telling them to respect other beliefs or give anyone any breaks, but there is nothing rational about bringing emotion into an argument.

No, you're wrong. I am sorry but a real atheist like me does not have any churches, social gatherings, ancient cultural traditions, books of faith, leaders, or anything that a religion has.
Just because some people 'call' themselves an atheist doesn't men they truly are, what they are is confused as hell to what they think about life. I have talked to so many, so called atheists and there is always a ... but. Yes, but what? "But I think there might be a higher power, not god but... yes", there is always a but.
Until you talk to guys like me, who will not say BUT, because I have come to terms with there not being anything to life but the destiny WE as a personal person or society make it out to be. I believe in HUMANS, and the natural universe, science, NOT doctrine and spiritual worlds made up in our imagination.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 09:18 AM
link   

strongfp

Jarring

No, you're wrong. I am sorry but a real atheist like me does not have any churches, social gatherings, ancient cultural traditions, books of faith, leaders, or anything that a religion has.
Just because some people 'call' themselves an atheist doesn't men they truly are, what they are is confused as hell to what they think about life. I have talked to so many, so called atheists and there is always a ... but. Yes, but what? "But I think there might be a higher power, not god but... yes", there is always a but.
Until you talk to guys like me, who will not say BUT, because I have come to terms with there not being anything to life but the destiny WE as a personal person or society make it out to be. I believe in HUMANS, and the natural universe, science, NOT doctrine and spiritual worlds made up in our imagination.

Call it what you want, but atheism is defined as a religion.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 09:19 AM
link   
reply to post by strongfp

What would you answer on a census behind the "what religion are you" question?

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 09:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Jarring

Is not smoking defined as a habit?
edit on 5-2-2014 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 09:23 AM
link   

Jarring

strongfp

Jarring

According to whom?
Is there a church of atheists?
A book of atheist?
A spiritual leader of atheist?
A certain lore to the creation of the 'first' atheist?
An enlightenment or damnation of atheist?

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 09:24 AM
link   

Aphorism
reply to post by strongfp

What would you answer on a census behind the "what religion are you" question?

Nothing, I don't know why it would matter in the world today what religion or faith, or lack there of matters. It has no place in democracy.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 09:24 AM
link   

AfterInfinity
reply to post by Jarring

Is not smoking defined as a habit?

good analogy and understand your point of view, but have you ever tried to quit smoking?

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join