It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Atheism being accepted as “Today’s Religion” over all religions?

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 09:27 AM
link   

strongfp

Jarring

strongfp

Jarring
Atheism is a religion. A lot of atheists are evangelists of their beliefs, it's embedded in their sense of reasoning. They shouldn't all be faulted for it, although some can do well not to take it too far. Just like Christians, Atheists are well known for being over-zealous. Save for agnosticism, it is the easiest religion to get into, and like agnosticism, it's the direct result and antithesis of other religions.

Believing in big bang theory, and evolution isn't atheism, that's theoretical science. Atheism is centered around denying the existence of God. They may not intend to convert necessarily, but an atheist will certainly tell you you're wrong. Other religions are tame compared to the overzealous nature of atheism.

It is a growing culture and should be taken seriously. The problem is that the only moral example they have to follow is fueled by the resentment of other religions.
I'm not telling them to respect other beliefs or give anyone any breaks, but there is nothing rational about bringing emotion into an argument.

No, you're wrong. I am sorry but a real atheist like me does not have any churches, social gatherings, ancient cultural traditions, books of faith, leaders, or anything that a religion has.
Just because some people 'call' themselves an atheist doesn't men they truly are, what they are is confused as hell to what they think about life. I have talked to so many, so called atheists and there is always a ... but. Yes, but what? "But I think there might be a higher power, not god but... yes", there is always a but.
Until you talk to guys like me, who will not say BUT, because I have come to terms with there not being anything to life but the destiny WE as a personal person or society make it out to be. I believe in HUMANS, and the natural universe, science, NOT doctrine and spiritual worlds made up in our imagination.

Call it what you want, but atheism is defined as a religion.

According to whom?
Is there a church of atheists?
A book of atheist?
A spiritual leader of atheist?
A certain lore to the creation of the 'first' atheist?
An enlightenment or damnation of atheist?

the dictionary. if you find among it's definitions, religion is a set of beliefs, plain and simple. Believing this is no God or gods, and your reasons for it is your religion.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 09:29 AM
link   
I can't think of the term, but I'm pretty sure there is a separate word for being without religion, although, if you were this, you'd have to deny atheism too.

I think it's contradictory though, it would be pretty hard for anyone to live in this world without a religion. They'd have to be pretty shut off from the world to hold true to it.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 09:31 AM
link   
reply to post by strongfp

Nothing, I don't know why it would matter in the world today what religion or faith, or lack there of matters. It has no place in democracy.

Then why are you in a religion forum defending atheism?

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 09:33 AM
link   

Jarring

strongfp

Jarring

strongfp

Jarring
Atheism is a religion. A lot of atheists are evangelists of their beliefs, it's embedded in their sense of reasoning. They shouldn't all be faulted for it, although some can do well not to take it too far. Just like Christians, Atheists are well known for being over-zealous. Save for agnosticism, it is the easiest religion to get into, and like agnosticism, it's the direct result and antithesis of other religions.

Believing in big bang theory, and evolution isn't atheism, that's theoretical science. Atheism is centered around denying the existence of God. They may not intend to convert necessarily, but an atheist will certainly tell you you're wrong. Other religions are tame compared to the overzealous nature of atheism.

It is a growing culture and should be taken seriously. The problem is that the only moral example they have to follow is fueled by the resentment of other religions.
I'm not telling them to respect other beliefs or give anyone any breaks, but there is nothing rational about bringing emotion into an argument.

No, you're wrong. I am sorry but a real atheist like me does not have any churches, social gatherings, ancient cultural traditions, books of faith, leaders, or anything that a religion has.
Just because some people 'call' themselves an atheist doesn't men they truly are, what they are is confused as hell to what they think about life. I have talked to so many, so called atheists and there is always a ... but. Yes, but what? "But I think there might be a higher power, not god but... yes", there is always a but.
Until you talk to guys like me, who will not say BUT, because I have come to terms with there not being anything to life but the destiny WE as a personal person or society make it out to be. I believe in HUMANS, and the natural universe, science, NOT doctrine and spiritual worlds made up in our imagination.

According to whom?
A book of atheist?

the dictionary. if you find among it's definitions, religion is a set of beliefs, plain and simple. Believing this is no God or gods, and your reasons for it is your religion.

Even if there is no reason to believe in a higher power in the first place?

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 09:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Jarring

Not to mention, atheism and humanism are religions according to the federal and supreme courts of the United States, the highest laws in the land.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 09:38 AM
link   

Aphorism
reply to post by Jarring

Not to mention, atheism and humanism are religions according to the federal and supreme courts of the United States, the highest laws in the land.

Hmm. Could argue with it, but what's the point? I still maintain that atheism and humanism are a more practical approach to spirituality. Less time kissing God's bum, more time fixing our problems here on Earth.
edit on 5-2-2014 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 09:39 AM
link   

AfterInfinity

Jarring

strongfp

Jarring

strongfp

Jarring

According to whom?
A book of atheist?

Even if there is no reason to believe in a higher power in the first place?

Atheism is BELIEVING there is no God.
I understand why you're weaseling around religion like it's a bad thing. It's ironic, you try to convert others into your religion more so than any others, unintentional or not. Let me guess, you're self-righteous about it too? You know you're becoming your own worst enemy.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 09:41 AM
link   
I love how religion is now a dirty/bad word for the religious....

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 09:42 AM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

I still maintain the atheism and humanism are a more practical approach to spirituality. Less time kissing God's bum, more time fixing our problems here on Earth.

I agree. But we should also spend more time being honest about it.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 09:43 AM
link   

Prezbo369

it's sad imo, it seems people would prefer chaos.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 09:44 AM
link   

Jarring
I understand why you're weaseling around religion like it's a bad thing. It's ironic, you try to convert others into your religion more so than any others, unintentional or not. Let me guess, you're self-righteous about it too? You know you're becoming your own worst enemy.

Wrong, atheism is the rejection of the claims made by theists, not the assertion that there is no God.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 09:45 AM
link   

Jarring

Prezbo369

it's sad imo, it seems people would prefer chaos.

They're the only two options? religion or chaos?....

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 09:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Jarring

One, I don't have a religion. I don't pray, I don't look to a higher power for answers, I don't attend social functions reviewing literature describing the grandeur and dictatorship of some grandfatherly figure who is least helpful when he's most needed. I do not recognize any form of sentient entity governing the laws of our universe, nor any form of consciousness tugging the strings of destiny according to its whims. I do not adhere to an established set of rules as given by a mystical force which defies explanation or objective determination. I am not religious. But I am an atheist, because of point two, as explained below:

Two, I have not yet seen a convincing argument demonstrating that any deity in recorded history is exclusively and conclusively the best and most logical answer to any of the questions to which it is applied as such. I feel there is a difference between believing that my solution is superior, and concluding that there is no satisfactory conclusion as of yet. There is nothing wrong with saying, "I don't know, but I hope we find out someday." Rather than just jumping to poorly extrapolated assumptions based on personal bias.

Sorry, but that's how I feel about it. There is no religion because there is no dependence. I do not depend on the lack of a god. I do not utilize the lack of a god. The lack of a god, to me, is about as evident and convenient and inspiring as gravity. If that seems religious to you, then I suppose you should ask yourself what good religion is doing right now.
edit on 5-2-2014 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 09:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Prezbo369

that is one thing that defines them yes, but even that stands on their belief that there are no deities.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 09:48 AM
link   
I will praise You, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
Marvelous are Your works,
And that my soul knows very well.

"If you look at the entire physical cosmos," says Penrose, "our brains are a tiny, tiny part of it. But they're the most perfectly organized part. Compared to the complexity of a brain, a galaxy is just an inert lump."

Each cubic millimeter of tissue in the neocortex, reports Michael Chorost in World Wide Mind, contains between 860 million and 1.3 billion synapses. Estimates of the total number of synapses in the neocortex range from 164 trillion to 200 trillion. The total number of synapses in the brain as a whole is much higher than that. The neocorex has the same number of neurons as our galaxy has stars: 100 billion.

"All stars can do is pull on each other with gravity," writes Chorost, and, if they are very close, exchange heat."

One researcher estimates that with current technology it would take 10,000 automated microscopes thirty years to map the connections between every neuron in a human brain, and 100 million terabytes of disk space to store the data.

Galaxies are ancient, but self-aware, language-using, tool-making brains are very new in the evolutionary timeline, some 200,000-years old. Most of the neurons in the neocortex have between 1,000 and 10,000 synaptic connections with other neurons. Elsewhere in the brain, in the cerebellum, one type of neuron has 150,000 to 200,000 synaptic connections with other neurons. Even the lowest of these numbers seems hard to believe. One tiny neuron can connect to 200,000 neurons.

www.dailygalaxy.com... t=buffer2abea&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 09:50 AM
link   

AfterInfinity
reply to post by Jarring

One, I don't have a religion. I don't pray, I don't look to a higher power for answers, I don't attend social functions reviewing literature describing the grandeur and dictatorship of some grandfatherly figure who is least helpful when he's most needed.

Two, I have not yet seen a convincing argument demonstrating that any deity in recorded history is exclusively and conclusively the best and most logical answer to any of the questions to which it is ascribed as such. I feel there is a difference between believing that my solution is superior, and concluding that there is no satisfactory conclusion as of yet. There is nothing wrong with saying, "I don't know, but I hope we find out someday." Rather than just jumping to poorly extrapolated assumptions based on personal bias.

this is moreso agnosticism, but even that is a religion. pretty much anything you can believe, think, or label is a religion, from the days of the week to a grand sense of things.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 09:52 AM
link   

Jarring
reply to [url= by Prezbo369[/url]

that is one thing that defines them yes, but even that stands on their belief that there are no deities.

It's the only thing that defines an atheist, no claims that have come forward for the case of a God have convinced them.

Anything else you want to prescribe to the word is completely arbitrary.

posted on Feb, 5 2014 @ 09:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Jarring

Rejecting the existence of deities does not in any way mean that one is siding with chaos. Chaos is just a theory.

link   
reply to post by Jarring

Did you see the rest of my post? I did edit it, because I wanted to be perfectly and absolutely clear on the matter.

link   

Prezbo369

Jarring
reply to [url= by Prezbo369[/url]

It's the only thing that defines an atheist, no claims that have come forward for the case of a God have convinced them.

Anything else you want to prescribe to the word is completely arbitrary.

me or the dictionary? you sure i'm the one that's self-describing?

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join