It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Atheism being accepted as “Today’s Religion” over all religions?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2014 @ 03:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Jesuslives4u

If you want answers stop being sarcastic.

I'm not being sarcastic in this post. I mean it.

See the post above mine re hallucination induced by starvation.

AND. And. I am fascinated by NDEs, where people on the brink of death DO see visions that seem to suggest another dimension or realm to which our souls go. Some are 'religious' (like, Jesus is there, or Buddha is there) --- but many are not - they happen to atheists, agnostics, and believers -- some even claim they see hell.

It seems to me that a starving person would eventually reach ND and have an E that means a lot to them.
And that's when it gets tricky. Do we suggest people to deliberately make themselves ND, and just at the brink they stop, and return to tell us???

Ethics, man. Ethics.

So - you see; I'm genuinely interested in talking about starving oneself to induce a Religious Experience.

And for now, I actually believe NDEs are genuine. But if it's that easy....
well -
like I said; I'm "Agnostic" - but I do believe in reincarnation, the soul's immortality, and things beyond what we sense here while safe and sound.

My issue is with people saying "Jesus only and only Jesus because Jesus and ..." , when many non-Christians have similar stories.

edit on 2/3/14 by wildtimes because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2014 @ 03:27 PM
link   
reply to post by wildtimes

not sarcasm. just a statement.

posted on Feb, 3 2014 @ 03:27 PM
link   

AfterInfinity

Why don't you try fasting for a couple of weeks (no alcohol or drugs), find a quite place where you can be alone with your thoughts and pray.

In prayer ask God to forgive you of all your sins and then tell him you need proof that he is alive and well - ask God (in Jesus name) to show himself to you. Do this numerous times everyday.

If you are sincere and looking for the answers, they might be given to you. Ask and you shall receive.

If you have not tried this before why not try it now? You claim to have an open mind. A little effort is all I am asking.

It is true that God loves his children and he is a jealous God (I don't blame him) who demands worship/love from his children.

Two points I'd like to raise here.

One, I'm curious as to what your reaction would be if an atheist or agnostic were to return from such an adventure having learned nothing but that fasting has some strange effects on the body.

Two, I find it a little disturbing that you would so easily accept jealousy and dictatorship from a benevolent and caring god. There's a contradiction of terms to be observed in that, I think.

Good question however I can not speak for God BUT why would an atheist pray to a God that he/she thinks does not exist? Make no sense!

Same with an Agnostic person: - Agnosticism is the belief that the truth values of certain claims—especially claims about the existence or non-existence of any deity, as well as other religious and metaphysical claims, are unknown or unknowable. Agnosticism sometimes indicates doubt or a skeptical approach to questions. An agnostic is someone who neither believes nor disbelieves in the existence of a deity or deities, whereas a theist and an atheist believe and disbelieve, respectively.

Neither the atheist or the agnostic person believes in a deity - so praying would be useless, right?

If my son disowned me and wanted nothing to do with me, would I put this son in my will? Would I share my Inheritance/riches with him and my other son who has always loved me and believed in me. I think not.

posted on Feb, 3 2014 @ 03:31 PM
link   

I just edited my brief previous post to try to explain my point of view, and eradicate your impression that in that last post I was being sarcastic. Some/all of the prior ones? Probably. But not this one. (Please go back and read it).

Like I said, we'll get to know one another better if you stick around and play nice.

posted on Feb, 3 2014 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Good question however I can not speak for God BUT why would an atheist pray to a God that he/she thinks does not exist? Make no sense!

Suspending previous experience long enough to observe a new experience. New experience is compared to previous experience, and if there are discrepancies, it's time for a reevaluation. If it's more of the same, then obviously, I stick with my former conclusions. It's called science. And if you can't speak for God, then what the hell are you doing advertising on his behalf? You can speak for him as long as you're not asked to show some actual live product? That's pretty bogus.

posted on Feb, 3 2014 @ 03:35 PM
link   
reply to post by EyesOpenMouthShut

not sarcasm. just a statement.

What?

posted on Feb, 3 2014 @ 03:41 PM
link   

i just thought you were saying i was being sarcastic. never mind that please.

posted on Feb, 3 2014 @ 03:47 PM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

Yeah, it's bogus. High five - well done, good writing!

I'm going to quote it here, breaking it up a little so it's easier to get...hope you don't mind...
(of course it's also a "YEAH! THAT!). Because I agree.

1) Suspend previous experience long enough to observe a new experience.

2) New experience is compared to previous experience, and

3) if there are discrepancies, it's time for a reevaluation.

4) If it's more of the same, then obviously, I stick with my former conclusions.

It's called science. And if you can't speak for God, then what the hell are you doing advertising on his behalf? You can speak for him as long as you're not asked to show some actual live product? That's pretty bogus.

There. Sorry for being a pushy 'grammar-mod', but I sorta needed to do that so that I understood.

It's clear, though, like you meant it. Right?

posted on Feb, 3 2014 @ 03:49 PM
link   

Nono, I appreciated your post to him. It's cool. I think he was talking to me when he said "stop being sarcastic"....

but, maybe I misread, and he was talking to you.

No worries, mate!

Welcome to ATS!

Edit:
Yeah, he was talking to me about being sarastic. You have to notice who is listed in the quote if there's not a clear "reply to" bold at the top. He was not talking to you, but to me, and I totally agreed with you - ..but I see how that happened.

posted on Feb, 3 2014 @ 03:50 PM
link   

I always mean it. It's the it that's unclear.

posted on Feb, 3 2014 @ 03:51 PM
link   

I know - I meant did I mess it up by breaking it into points....

nvm.
I gotcha.

posted on Feb, 3 2014 @ 03:57 PM
link   
I do admit that i would give the extreme fasting a try but praying is out.

posted on Feb, 3 2014 @ 04:07 PM
link   

EyesOpenMouthShut
I do admit that i would give the extreme fasting a try but praying is out.

Mmm...the worst that can happen is no one hears you except you. I mean, it's not like you have to find a public place and pray as loud as you can.

posted on Feb, 3 2014 @ 04:10 PM
link   

i talk to myself too much as it is, but maybe in the name of scientific experimentation.

posted on Feb, 3 2014 @ 04:11 PM
link   

Millions of people fast everyday (not by choice mind you) and we don't here all them going on about seeing Jebus etc.
Fasting is a waste of time unless you are a bit chubby

posted on Feb, 3 2014 @ 04:14 PM
link   

boymonkey74

Millions of people fast everyday (not by choice mind you) and we don't here all them going on about seeing Jebus etc.
Fasting is a waste of time unless you are a bit chubby

I think today's fasting is more a demonstration of defying our physical desires in recognition of whatever higher power we hold dear than actually making contact with whatever personality or consciousness we ascribe to that higher power.

posted on Feb, 3 2014 @ 04:18 PM
link   

wildtimes

Nono, I appreciated your post to him. It's cool. I think he was talking to me when he said "stop being sarcastic"....

but, maybe I misread, and he was talking to you.

No worries, mate!

Welcome to ATS!

Edit:
Yeah, he was talking to me about being sarastic. You have to notice who is listed in the quote if there's not a clear "reply to" bold at the top. He was not talking to you, but to me, and I totally agreed with you - ..but I see how that happened.

almost forgot, Thanks for the welcome. I've been lurking for o few days and once i get done feeling you all out i might post some of my own research on more earthly matters
edit on 2/3/2014 by EyesOpenMouthShut because: Typos suck

edit on 2/3/2014 by EyesOpenMouthShut because: im the typo king

posted on Feb, 3 2014 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Just remember: we take no prisoners.

posted on Feb, 3 2014 @ 04:21 PM
link   

AfterInfinity

Just remember: we take no prisoners.
no mercy for the weak eh? lol

posted on Feb, 3 2014 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Do you even understand what sarcasm is? because she sure wasn't being sarcastic.
I agree fasting will bring you hallucinations, that is a great way to con someone that there is a God, pick up that from some priest? or did someone make you do it and you went all wacky?.

God has never or never will come into this life and say "hello" we may get that after death but she is just too busy....
Also Prayer? sorry doesn't work at all, how many millions of kids have prayed that they will get food? get clean water? not be caught in conflict? I bet they all prayed their poor little hearts out but only Humanity saves them..not God.
edit on 3-2-2014 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join