It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Microsoft Security essentials flagging ATS

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 04:29 PM
link   
Just saw another thread on this. The gist is that Microsoft security essentials is reporting that there could be something dangerous here and they ask to send a copy of the page.

The previous thread was closed by a moderator and the response given was very rude. Had that not happened I wouldn't bother making this post. Actions like what occurred usually happen when parties are trying to hide something in my opinion. If nothing else, someone from ATs needs to find out why this is happening and they need to fix it and they need to explain it to the members here instead of hiding it and brushing it aside. Don't say it's nothing without explaining why it is nothing.

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 04:33 PM
link   

sligtlyskeptical
Just saw another thread on this. The gist is that Microsoft security essentials is reporting that there could be something dangerous here and they ask to send a copy of the page.

This information is a good example of why site administrators tear their hair out. It is next to worthless. Is this all you've got? Microsoft Security SAYS there COULD be SOMETHING dangerous here? How the hell could anybody act on this?

For God's sakes post the actual information. Post a screen shot. tell us EXACTLY what the message said, where and when you got it, etc. Here you are pre-blaming ATS for something you can't even describe. You may as well claim you got some notice from somebody somewhere that gremlins have invaded your PC and it's all the fault of ATS.
edit on 1/18/2014 by schuyler because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 04:35 PM
link   
ATS is not the only one that got flagged, I gave you one for this info to.
I wonder if it gives ATS stars too?

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 04:35 PM
link   
I wont go into details again but i have a feeling that its the same issue i raised before.

As i was told, that is what the complaint form errr trash bin is for.
edit on 1/18/2014 by shaneslaughta because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 04:40 PM
link   

schuyler

sligtlyskeptical

This information is a good example of why site administrators tear their hair out. It is next to worthless. Is this all you've got? Microsoft Security SAYS there COULD be SOMETHING dangerous here? How the hell could anybody act on this?

For God's sakes post the actual information. Post a screen shot. tell us EXACTLY what the message said, where and when you got it, etc. Here you are pre-blaming ATS for something you can't even describe. You may as well claim you got some notice from somebody somewhere that gremlins have invaded your PC and it's all the fault of ATS.
edit on 1/18/2014 by schuyler because: (no reason given)

I was told to stop letting third parties infect my browser. NOT the case.

My issue was strictly from a source used by ATS.

I was told to sod off by the MAN.

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 04:51 PM
link   
First and foremost, Microsoft Security Essentials isn't the best antivirus you could be using. There are far better free antivirus programs that could be used. MSE has too much bloat, and uses too many resources.

Secondly, MSE alert is being triggered by an ad, not by the website itself. You could certainly have posted more information about the alert and what the alert says.

As already directed by another member of staff in the other thread, you should use the Complaint / Suggestion form, and/or report bad ads here:

Worst Ads Ever! (SkepticOverlord's Ad Hitlist)

Creating multiple threads on a subject that was already addressed is not the way to handle things.

edit on 18-1-2014 by _BoneZ_ because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 04:54 PM
link   
Here's an idea - put puppy linux or macpup or damn small on a USB stick, use that to surf the 'net. It runs in RAM and doesn't ineract with the hard drive. Lots of ways to proactively hedge against attacks from 3rd parties without breaking the TandCs (it takes a little work to learn) if you aren't willing, then...

edit on 18-1-2014 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 05:00 PM
link   
reply to post by _BoneZ_

I addressed multiple moderators to the situation. I was told just what your telling me.
I offered a solution to the problem, but i was ignored.

I wish certain people here would stop acting so damn infallible.
Your all human and prone to mistakes as am i.

And its clear there is some more public concern, so maybe now we can talk about this with the ATS public?

After all, out user contributed content is what drives this sites ad revenue. We should be protected from the ad hosts the site uses.

Or will i be told to read the TOS some more, and there is the door?

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 05:01 PM
link   
No wonder, I tried logging in to this site from an android device and its near on impossible. Popups and redirects to adverts is just way over the top so I gave up, its basically an unusable site from an Android device in my opinion.

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 05:14 PM
link   
reply to post by LadySkadi

Here is an idea, lets stop offering ways around the problem and focus on the actual issues.

Sounds just like the US government approach to problem solving.

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 05:19 PM
link   
reply to post by shaneslaughta

Hmmm.. I see it as personal responsibility. To each their own.

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 05:19 PM
link   
I would have to agree and say it is the ads. I can safely say this as I have never seen the warning spoken of. Why have I not seen it? Well that little tidbit I can't disclose........

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 05:21 PM
link   
reply to post by LadySkadi

Personal responsibility to what? Side step the issues?

I see it as personal responsibility to sit here and stand up for my brethren and lend a hand.

I got shat on for it last time. But here i am again.

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 05:23 PM
link   

Mamatus
I would have to agree and say it is the ads. I can safely say this as I have never seen the warning spoken of. Why have I not seen it? Well that little tidbit I can't disclose........

Neither can i, its is a good little bit of info.

Too bad ATS is all about making money from theses suckers.

OHhh but you can always get more active and they will disappear

Still, that dont solve the real problem does it?

I did forget to activate it one day and got a nasty little pop up saying my JAVA needs updating.
Its a trap.

It was from right here on an ad host ATS uses for revenue.
A product of click jacking.

But we need to lump it cause its in the TOS!

edit on 1/18/2014 by shaneslaughta because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 05:27 PM
link   

mazzroth
No wonder, I tried logging in to this site from an android device and its near on impossible. Popups and redirects to adverts is just way over the top so I gave up, its basically an unusable site from an Android device in my opinion.

Maybe try a different browser on Android? I use Boat Browser on my Android phone and Android tablet with zero issues. Yes, there are pop-ups, but those can be easily closed.

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 05:29 PM
link   
So basically it is the ad content that is causing this and MSE is telling me that ads served up by ATS partners could be malicious and dangerous? Is anyone at ATS trying to determine which ones are causing it, or is it out of ATS control? The notification does not give any specifics of what ad it is, only that the problem resides on www.abovetopsecret.php. Is there someone at ATS who interacts with the security vendors to find out exactly what is causing these messages or are you at their mercy as well? These are the basic questions a member perhaps would expect to be answered in the affirmative as ATS does take ownership of everything posted.

Not trying to be an azz either, but the response to that other thread was not called for and when I see incivility I address it.

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 05:35 PM
link   
Notice how i go unnoticed, like i dont exist?

It seems like side step is becoming the new song and dance.

Is the revenue worth that much that you cant fix one little problem that i noticed and informed you about?

I never thought ATS would prey on its people.
I'm starting too.

I address an issue and i get the same old TOS this and deal with it that. Use a new browser. get batter anti virus.

Stay off bad websites that infect your pc.

Give me some credit, and stop acting like were invalid children.

Im not trying to piss you mods or springer off.

But you tout ATS as a community or family, Well where I'm from we take care of our own.

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 05:38 PM
link   
I blame the NSA spybot overlords.

The dummies still haven't figured out how to snoop in stealth mode...

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 05:38 PM
link   

sligtlyskeptical
So basically it is the ad content that is causing this and MSE is telling me that ads served up by ATS partners could be malicious and dangerous? Is anyone at ATS trying to determine which ones are causing it, or is it out of ATS control? The notification does not give any specifics of what ad it is, only that the problem resides on www.abovetopsecret.php. Is there someone at ATS who interacts with the security vendors to find out exactly what is causing these messages or are you at their mercy as well? These are the basic questions a member perhaps would expect to be answered in the affirmative as ATS does take ownership of everything posted.

Not trying to be an azz either, but the response to that other thread was not called for and when I see incivility I address it.

You got it.

I already had found the problem and solution.

Apparently the revenue is more important than the amount of work to fix it. (Negligible)

Its called click jacking, and it can be averted by only allowing HTTPS content and ads.

I been down this road before. No one wanted to address the problem last time.

Don't be surprised if i get banned for ruffling some feathers this time. (Hope Not)

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 05:40 PM
link   
reply to post by CranialSponge

I dont find this a joke. I have stuck my neck out twice now for this issue.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join