It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

China Plans To Seize South China Sea Island From Philippines, Says "Battle Will Be Restricted"

page: 18
<< 15  16  17    19 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 06:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Bassago

that is indeed an interesting machine
Zubr-class LCAC en.wikipedia.org...

en.wikipedia.org...

Armament: Strela-3 Portable Air Defense Missile System 4 x 4 launchers plus 32 Anti-Personnel missiles; or 2 SA-N-5 "Grail" quad launchers, manual aiming, infrared homing to 6 km at 1.5 Mach, altitude to 2,500 m, warhead 1.5 kg
30 mm AK-630 Air Defense Gun Mount 2 x 6 with 6000 rounds, 3,000 rounds/min combined to 2 km
140 mm Ogon launchers 2 x 22 with 132 rockets; or 2 retractable 122mm rocket launchers
Mines (one set of removable equipment for laying from 20 to 80 mines, depending on their types)

The Zubr landing craft has a cargo area of 400 square metres (4,300 sq ft), and a fuel capacity of 56 tons.[2] It can carry three main battle tanks (up to 150 tonnes), or ten armoured vehicles with 140 troops (up to 131 tonnes), or 8 armoured personnel carriers of total mass up to 115 tonnes, or 8 amphibious tanks or up to 500 troops (with 360 troops in the cargo compartment).

At full displacement the ship is capable of negotiating up to 5-degree gradients on non-equipped shores and 1.6m-high vertical walls. The Zubr remains seaworthy in conditions up to Sea State 4. The vessel has a cruising speed of 30-40 knots.

No doubt China can take this or any other island in the region. The problem is what is coming next. China- Japan war or something else.

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 08:23 AM
link   
In Americans eyes China is the bully,But it was Philippines who send warship to catch China's fishing-boats that started the South China Sea conflict and it was Japanese who buy the disputed island that started the Diaoyu Island conflict and it is
Japanese prime minister who visit the Yasukuni Shrine that sharted the diplomatic conflict,why do you always blame China?
If I were the "self-nominated world cop" ,the first thing I should do is to prevent those troublesome ally from provoking China, or you will pay the bill for their every insolent provocation.

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 08:49 AM
link   
reply to post by gs002

That's real funny chinaman, when did Philippines got a warship? Besides, they have every right to arrest intruders on their OWN territory.

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 09:07 AM
link   
reply to post by marhaba

It is disputed territory and China advocate to solve it by negotiation, before coming to an agreement,the two sides can joint exploit the area, Vietnam is clever in the the South China Sea dispute, But the Philippines refuse to negotiate, Their Philosophy must be: we have USA back us.

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 09:47 AM
link   
Not only Vietnam, Malaysia, Indonesia, Brunei they all have dispute with China in this area and they all agree to joint exploit with China, so they get interests and friendship, on the other hand, Philippines wants to be cannon fodder for USA, aiming at containing China, aren't they stupid?

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 03:25 PM
link   

gs002
In Americans eyes China is the bully,But it was Philippines who send warship to catch China's fishing-boats that started the South China Sea conflict and it was Japanese who buy the disputed island that started the Diaoyu Island conflict and it is
Japanese prime minister who visit the Yasukuni Shrine that sharted the diplomatic conflict,why do you always blame China?
If I were the "self-nominated world cop" ,the first thing I should do is to prevent those troublesome ally from provoking China, or you will pay the bill for their every insolent provocation.

Apparently wherever you are your press sucks what happened was the islands already belonged to Japanese citizens.But lets look at china's claim for a minute. Prior to 1971 they didnt even know they had a claim to the islands. Maps and texts from both Taiwan and chnises governments during the period between 1895, when Japan seized the islands, and 1971, when the claim was first mentioned, have three things in common: (1) they always assign their sovereignty to Japan; (2) they refer to them using the Japanese names; and (3) they never refer to the disputed status of the islands. Simply put, there was no "dispute" over the Senkaku until after scientists raised the possibility of oil in the area in the late 1960s.Then in 1972 China's Official National Atlas of China then changes the name to chinese and claims the territory. Well placing it on a map doesnt make it so especially when they didnt have the deeds to the island. Then if that isnt bad enough they also attempted to rewrite history. See Japan had to return Property taken during the war from china and did so. For example they returned the Ryukyu chain to them. China then made the claim these islands were part of that.

Well no they weren't they were already owned prior to WW2 by japan. And then they tried to move the boundaries between the two island chains. China claimed "Black Water Trench" constituted a boundary between the Senkaku and the Ryukyu Islands. In reality, the Black Water Trench/Ditch, noted in ancient travelogues, was a notoriously dangerous feature of the Taiwan Strait between China and Taiwan.Putting it hundreds of miles away from the the disputed area. China has no claim to the Islands but hey its worth the fight theres oil under them if there wasnt we wouldnt even be having this discussion.

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 03:45 PM
link   
When 1 (one) philippine citizen is wounded and it is indeed Chinese weapons that have done so.The US govt owes China exactly squat and we will jump into war to save our economy.
edit on 17-1-2014 by cavtrooper7 because: misspelled,finished point

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 05:14 PM
link   
reply to post by dragonridr

A bit off topic of Philippines dispute, I'm not a historian, so it's difficult for me to discuss the historical evolution of the disputed island like you, but the stand of USA government about Diaoyu Island dispute is:"we don't take position". I believe if there has some kind of territory dispute, each side must has its own reasons, so negotiation is needed, but Japanese refused. right? on the contrary, they took steps to stimulate the confrontation, right?

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 07:46 PM
link   

gs002

A bit off topic of Philippines dispute, I'm not a historian, so it's difficult for me to discuss the historical evolution of the disputed island like you, but the stand of USA government about Diaoyu Island dispute is:"we don't take position". I believe if there has some kind of territory dispute, each side must has its own reasons, so negotiation is needed, but Japanese refused. right? on the contrary, they took steps to stimulate the confrontation, right?

No it be like someone claiming they owned your house when you have the deed. Are you going to negotiate with them i wouldnt. The only reason were even considering it is because they have a military advantage over japan and the philippines. Be like that same guy showing up to your house with a rocket launcher saying its his house. If China had a legitimate complaint they wouldn't be scared of taking it in front of the world court the philippines want to. China doesn't want this tried by the UN court and in fact will use their place at the UN to stop any involvement.They would much rather try to get the philippines, japan, taiwan,and korea and vietnam to back down by holding a gun to there head. I call this maffia politics agree or else.

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 08:33 PM
link   

Your comment is based on the precondition that Diaoyu Island is Japan's "house" with the deed, is that fair? at least your government didn't say so.

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 09:42 PM
link   

gs002

Your comment is based on the precondition that Diaoyu Island is Japan's "house" with the deed, is that fair? at least your government didn't say so.

Which government i cant think of a single one besides China that thinks its claim is legitimate??? If you mean europe and the US they all think China is claim jumping. As i said before 1971 China readily admitted it was Japanese territory then they used a map they created to claim otherwise. So it was Japaneses island for over a hundred years at that point except when occupied by the US
after WW2 but was returned to them by the United States why because it was theirs. If the US kept this island in the first place there would be no dispute but the US couldnt because it made them look back occupying territory. Even though im sure the military brass would have loved to keep it nice base in the middle of the china sea.

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 10:00 PM
link   

So you mean USA government has recognized Diaoyu Island as Japanese territory? that is really a significant progress. evidence?

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 10:52 PM
link   

gs002

So you mean USA government has recognized Diaoyu Island as Japanese territory? that is really a significant progress. evidence?

The us government's stance is those islands are administered by Japan and therefore fall under or defense treaty with Japan.It was stated last time this whole thing came up and they just cant say to Japan sorry we changed are mind course was set.

"The Senkaku Islands have been under the administrative control of the government of Japan since having been returned as part of the reversion of Okinawa in 1972," State Department spokesman Adam Ereli said. "Article 5 of the 1960 US-Japan Treaty of Mutual Cooperation and Security," he said, "states that the treaty applies to the territories under the administration of Japan; thus, Article 5 of the Mutual Security Treaty applies to the Senkaku islands

Then there was Hillary Clintons statement which pissed off china bad!

Hillary Clinton said the US was opposed to 'any unilateral actions that would seek to undermine Japanese administration'

China wants to negotiate with Japan meaning some kind of shared agreement im sure for oil rights but the Japanese arent going to go for this. The Japanese will probably try to take it in front of the Hague first but i dont think China would agree. But as far as Japans stance cant blame them if i own something i dont want to have to negotiate for it.

www.dailystar.com.lb...

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 11:28 PM
link   

Again, where's the evidence shows USA government formally declares that Diaoyu Island is Japan's territory?

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 12:38 AM
link   

gs002

Again, where's the evidence shows USA government formally declares that Diaoyu Island is Japan's territory?

Ok dont be silly the state department made their point clear when they say the islands are covered under the protection of the US govt.If they thought it was chinese they would tell Japan they wouldn't get involved.But like any government they dont want to be directly involved in public. What they told Japan was the US will back you and we will protect your sovereignty over the islands. What else should they say the dispute isnt between the US and China? So making a blanket statement on the issue will only galvanize the Chinese position meaning they will do something stupid. International politics must be new to you countrys state positions they dont set policies.Especially when you have the Japanese prime minister state this is an internal matter.
edit on 1/18/14 by dragonridr because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 01:17 AM
link   

The self-nominated world cop has its own calculation, it wants to utilize the contradiction between China and her neighbors
to cripple China, that's not news to me. USA and Japan are just mutual use of each other.

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 03:12 AM
link   

gs002

The self-nominated world cop has its own calculation, it wants to utilize the contradiction between China and her neighbors
to cripple China, that's not news to me. USA and Japan are just mutual use of each other.

Majority of the world thinks China is land grabbing. No matter how many maps your government in China draws, the world still knows your claims are all illegitimate.
China's arrogance will be it's own undoing too.

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 05:08 AM
link   
reply to post by marhaba

As I know the map of China's territory has never changed since 1949 when communists take power, but after that,for several decades China was too weak to defend its legitimate territory, especially ocean territory. until now China begin to own the power to preserve its territory. maybe that gives "Majority of the world" an impression that "China is land grabbing", that is a tragedy.
I don't have any information that China want to expand its territory like Nazi Germany and militarism Japan, do you know any information about that?

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 06:33 AM
link   
reply to post by 2012newstart

Why is it that I currently live the Philippines, and this is not even news. I mean this thread as given me more information about things happening out there than I ever hear on the news. I'm wondering if there is a media blackout of some kind.

Last night I was staying at a hotel in another town and while watching Chinese TV they were basically saying everything that the above poster was talking about. (I know this thanks to Subtitles).. At any rate they were essentially saying that all of this can easily be avoided if Philippine and Japanese government would simply bow to their desires. Also that any escalation is 100% the fault of everyone else and not China's.. Sooooooo?

Anyway, I find it interesting that this thread is proposing that a small battle could take place even escalating into ww3 and not a single word is on TV about it here. I have no doubts it is happening, just annoyed that, no news is available and all I have to go on is this one thread. (Which I'm thankful for.)

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 10:20 AM
link   
reply to post by snowen20

Two of the biggest local media networks in the Philippines are known to be staunch supporters and advocates of the current Aquino administration. The family that owns one of those networks is publicly known to have very close ties with President Aquino. Major newspapers are owned by the same circle of oligarchs and by wealthy politicians. I can say with confidence that if the current administration wanted something hidden from the public, these networks can and will most likely comply and limit the flow of information.

I don't see much about this particular news on TV, but I do hear and read a lot about it on the radio and mainstream newspapers.

If a small skirmish broke out in one of the disputed islands, you will most likely hear about it first from foreign and alternative news sources - the reason why I check ATS regularly.
edit on 18-1-2014 by smirnoffsky because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 15  16  17    19 >>

join