It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Only young/rich people will survive.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2014 @ 10:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Keylogger

Someone has been playing DayZ too long.

Not many can make it in the wild, even the most experienced.
edit on 12-1-2014 by ANTHONY33 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2014 @ 10:12 AM
link   
reply to post by vkey08

Or one of his neighbours is a female ATS member, who's just read his thread, and proved him wrong.

posted on Jan, 12 2014 @ 10:22 AM
link   
The smart will survive, and those who get along well with others will form communities. It would be just as it is currently.
Successful people have successful habits. Sex gender, age, money will not matter. The caring people who are smart will band together. Its already in our genetics. Social outcasts already are pushed to the edge. Rich people today are the ones who are smart and read constantly.
The young people don't know much of anything. I had to teach a bunch of high school seniors how to start a fire. I did it in four minutes after watching them fail for an hour. They even used up a whole bottle of lighter fluid. I had the fire built and going in four minutes. No kidding. I stood there and told the three girls and four boys how to do it. It probably was the most important thing they had learned in the past six months. Calculus is nice is you are warm, have clean water to drink, and have cooked food to eat. Otherwise, in certain situations these young people would be doomed with out a middle aged educated adult to get advice from.

posted on Jan, 12 2014 @ 10:32 AM
link   
Survival in some sort of apoc setting (its not without merit, a rather nasty quick working virus can work through the population faster than we would care to admit) will depend on a few things.
First off, intelligence. You need someone whom knows how to do simple things like efficiently filter water, build electrical devices, patch people up, etc.
Physical strength and stamina of course will be important (always need someone to dig a ditch).

In reality experiments, what is demonstrated over and over naturally is a few things. First, groups are better than individuals, range weapons are better than melee, intelligence and innovation trumps all.

Now

What would be the big emergency? Lets say a virus did annihilate most people, all services and such go down. This is not a big issue in terms of immediate and even medium survival. Depending on how fast it moves, stores will be packed full of supplies that can have a large group last for potentially years without trouble. Solar panels for the taking for power, etc.
The bigger challenge to survival won't be from roving bands of morons stealing your stuff (when they can simply go to a local Walmart and get whatever they want), it will be things like nuclear plants melting down, dams bursting, things like that..things that we need people to man for our safety..

I love me a good apoc story, but you have to first understand that its all fantasy. In a real shtf scenario, people will be banding together asap not just for better chance of survival, but it is also genetically programmed in us to come together and tribe up.

And as a man, the best survival chance you can have is actually being with one or more women...women (generally speaking) put men at ease. natural biological reaction there. less tense moments with new group meetings if the women outnumber men..same effect with kids in regards to cutting tension.

I think what was suggested is correct..stop playing soo much DayZ or the like.

posted on Jan, 12 2014 @ 10:33 AM
link   
Women don't need to be strong physically to survive - even without a gun. Your speaking in Darwin terms so take a look at all of the species that have less physical strength who have survived. I've seen those shows your speaking of where the woman gathers some sticks and watches while the man catches dinner. That's called being smart. Why do the work if you don't have to in those situations? Conserve that energy

I would say a lot of survival is up to chance. What ones immediate environment is like, their ability to blend in/lay low, and frame of mind (calm/going with the flow and trusting instincts along the way vs panic/logic above gut). Nothing can prepare someone for every possible scenario that could happen between human/environment interactions.

posted on Jan, 12 2014 @ 10:39 AM
link   

MissBeck
reply to post by vkey08

Or one of his neighbours is a female ATS member, who's just read his thread, and proved him wrong.

I sure hope that's not the case, I would hate to see him hurt by a member of the weaker sex..

posted on Jan, 12 2014 @ 10:56 AM
link   
reply to post by frugal

Great insight and reply. My son in law tried for a week to get a fire started in their wood stove. I showed him how to start a fire and keep it hot. I knew we had a ways to go when he did know about kindling.

posted on Jan, 12 2014 @ 11:06 AM
link   
reply to post by MOMof3

Fires are tough for me. Details count and you have to get the timing right so patience counts. It's especially difficult if the kindling is damp. I've watched the shows on this and they make it look easy - but it isn't.

Doesn't mean I wouldn't be able to make it happen - it just takes a long time. Need to work on this skill.

posted on Jan, 12 2014 @ 11:29 AM
link   
All these comments about starting fire...
That's so easy we shouldn't even talk about it, i made my own fires at the age of 5 with rope and dry wood.
Also about these girls/beating me up comments, i don't want to brag or anything but i'm Russian amateur bodybuilder with around 30-40 street fights from age 5-20. So don't talk about fighting because im an expert in it. I lost only 1 time, and no i'm not a bully in fact i fighted bad people all my life. Even stood up for people that were bullied and fighted them, when i was a kid i though that god gave me great fighting powers to fight bad people.

When i was a kid i was raised in a poor neighborhood, in the area where woods/lakes are etc. My grandparents were farmers/survivors and though me and my brother how to survive of the land and how to live very cheap. So my knowledge about surviving is huge. And i agree 100% completely that the younger people in rich countries such as America will have hard time surviving where there will be no food, their only option will be stealing/fishing /hunting etc.
I moved to another country that was rich at the age of 16 and it was way different. No way this young generation will know how to survive of the land, all they know is playing computer/working/watching tv. The problem is that America is full with people like that because it's a rich country and people are totally dependant on the goverment. So when the hell breakes lose, the people with no knowledge will attack you steal from you etc. to survive.

it all depends on the apocalypse scenarios.

Let's say we're going to 200 year old IceAge, every goverment is shut down no food production.
The physical strongest (young people) will survive, because A they can withstand the cold better then older people for example. They have more Testosterone in their bodies which helps them to fight diseases off their bones are stronger for physical missions such as stealing or fighting someone for supplies.
They don't need knowledge about how to start a fire because there will be people everywhere who have a fire outside or inside so you can simply ask for fire or find a lighter. They only need knowledge about how to make very cheap/high caloric foods that last long and that is simple if you put a bit of thoughs in it.

posted on Jan, 12 2014 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Keylogger

30-40 street fights from age 5-20.

Age 5??? Street fighting! Where on earth were your parents to let you do that! Shocking.

Where is my video I asked for?

posted on Jan, 12 2014 @ 12:15 PM
link   

There's that testosterone thing again, it has nothing to do with survival.. Women have existed as long as men and are required for reproduction there's no way we would just fade away and not survive because as you say, lower testosterone...

I'd like to see some research on that, namely, you come here with all your testosterone and se how long you can survive my onslaught.. I can guarantee you that unless you are 500 pounds and just can't be moved, you wouldn't..

posted on Jan, 12 2014 @ 12:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Dianec

We went broke once and lived in an 8x10 camper with no plumbing or heat for 3 months. My kids were grade school age then. They found skills they would not have ever put into practice otherwise. They are grown now, working, part time college. But I feel like they have skills to survive if our nation collapses economically again. It is so top heavy now, I don't know how it can be avoided.

posted on Jan, 12 2014 @ 01:14 PM
link   
20 to 40 year olds...lol

Lets put them in a situation with no electricity, no Dr. Dre's, no skills outside of pawning.... I would give them a week and they will be dead.

posted on Jan, 12 2014 @ 01:18 PM
link   

vkey08

There's that testosterone thing again, it has nothing to do with survival.. Women have existed as long as men and are required for reproduction there's no way we would just fade away and not survive because as you say, lower testosterone...

I'd like to see some research on that, namely, you come here with all your testosterone and se how long you can survive my onslaught.. I can guarantee you that unless you are 500 pounds and just can't be moved, you wouldn't..

I don't see bands of women ravaging the country side, do you? We can look at countries today where there is basically total anarchy and women do not have it so good, to say the least...

edit on 12-1-2014 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2014 @ 01:50 PM
link   
Young rich people have the largest disadvantage of all possible demographics in a shtf situation. They're ignorant, usually not anymore intelligent than anyone else, uneducated about the real world, mentally unfit for real world survival, and psychologically too weak to overcome the sudden shock of not bei g worth the turd they left in the toilet bowl earlier that morning before the apocalypse came .

To me any rich person is a target if opportunity like a walking cash of easily, easily plundered resources like a fat cow too obease to run from a predator.

Physical Strength is not important in a survival situation. Agility. A waste if time and resources. Notice you never notice any animal in the wild needlessly wasting resources or even taking chances. Animals don't do gymnastics and free run. It's too dangerous a be plain stupid. Unless your a squirrel or something. Those animals are just nuts.

Knowledge , and a will to survive. Tenacity and determination. Weighing your options. Taking advantages of targets if opportunity. Travel light. Rely on the principles and methods not the equipment. Lay low. Forage through stealth. The less attention you attract the less attention you attract. Don't weigh yourself down by running with a pack or others. Do have a weapon to raid said pack of chumps and jack them when opportunities present themselves. But no e of these essential items of survival require physical strength, money or even youth.

posted on Jan, 12 2014 @ 01:51 PM
link   

WOW, looks like you painted yourself into a corner here!
My advice, dump this account and make another and observe, don't talk.
Like someone else said and I have heard for years and believe, "Youth and exuberance will never overcome age and treachery".
While I do agree that women for the most part are physically inferior to men, this is where the treachery part comes into play.
Have you ever watched TV...well of course you have, but did you see the hundreds, maybe thousands of films that a smaller, physically inferior momma bear defended her cubs against a bigger bear?
Human females can be worse if they have a mind to, and if society collapsed, the weak will get weeded out quick.
Now onto the rich part...
Just what advantage does a rich person have??
Without community all is lost.
You got a bunker full of foods??
I have a drill and an exhaust pipe or hose, your food is now mine!
Tying yourself to a tree worked pretty good in the "Hunger Games" though!
Nice sunday morning distraction though, thanks for the chuckle.

Star and flag for entertainment value.

posted on Jan, 12 2014 @ 02:02 PM
link   
LOLZ

Yeah, I can see Justin Beiber surviving while the rest of us die away.

LOLZ

posted on Jan, 12 2014 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Well based off disasters within the last few decades, people are more humble than you give them credit. And are actually willing to help each other out. Yeah their might be the small percentage that will try to gain off other peoples weakness, but they won't last long. Nobody wants to be stuck alone in the middle of nowhere hiding from the world. People NEED help and support of others no matter who you are. You make it sound like everyone turns into wolfs lol.... Not likely

posted on Jan, 12 2014 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Who says a woman needs a weapon to get what she wants to protect her own? You do not know any strong women. Too bad.

posted on Jan, 12 2014 @ 02:51 PM
link   
Me thinks the OP underestimates the value of the knowledge, wisdom, and experience our elders possess regarding the old ways of doing things before modern day conveniences came along...

But that's okay, I just chalk it up to the naivety of youth and their delusion of "knowing it all".

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join