It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SRM could make warming worse

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 05:27 PM
link   
A team from Reading University have released the results of a study they have done into using atmospheric sulphates for SRM:

The scientists found that as well as absorbing some of heat coming in from the Sun, the particles also absorb some of the heat energy that comes from the surface of the planet.

"The heating acts to stabilise the part of the atmosphere we live in, by making it more stable it reduces the upwelling of air," said Dr Charlton-Perez.

"In the tropics much of the rainfall comes from air moving up rapidly, so this acts to reduce surface precipitation."

Rainfall around the tropics could be cut by 30% with significant impacts on rainforests in South America and Asia and increasing drought in Africa.

It has to be noted that they were using an extreme scenario and they've come in for some criticism for that - but they are not saying this is the definitive answer - but that it is part of the investigation into the issue that needs to take place.

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 05:41 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 05:48 PM
link   
Solar Radiation Management

Solar radiation management (SRM) projects are a largely theoretical type of geoengineering which seek to reflect sunlight and thus reduce global warming. Proposed examples include the creation of stratospheric sulfur aerosols.
Who are these people fooling? One minute it's this, the next minute it's that.

Why are "chemtrails" such a secret? Because if they screw up, they have someone to blame. That "someone" being MOTHER NATURE! And people say those are "lingering persistent contrails". hahahahahahahah funny stuff

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 06:05 PM
link   

WonderBoi
Solar Radiation Management

Solar radiation management (SRM) projects are a largely theoretical type of geoengineering which seek to reflect sunlight and thus reduce global warming. Proposed examples include the creation of stratospheric sulfur aerosols.
Who are these people fooling? One minute it's this, the next minute it's that.

Not in the real world.

In the real world it has always been theoretical.

Why are "chemtrails" such a secret?

How can something that apparently doesnt' actually exist be a secret??

Because if they screw up, they have someone to blame. That "someone" being MOTHER NATURE! And people say those are "lingering persistent contrails". hahahahahahahah funny stuff

You would be hilarious if your demonstration of ignorance wasn't so sad.

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 06:16 PM
link   
How do you get "test results" without a live scenario? And, what lunatic came up with the plan to "block the sun"? These people have been on a planet that have trees older than them, and they want to tell it how to function? Ooooooh booooi.

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 06:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Aloysius the Gaul

Demonstration of ignorance? Ok then. When was the last time the government did something FOR it's people? NE-VER!!! Why should i believe them now???

"Fool me once, shame on you! Fool me twice, shame on me!!!" How many times have the American people been fooled? Since the foundation of America! Again, WHY SHOULD i BELIEVE THEM NOW? Give me 1 GOOD reason!

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 06:36 PM
link   
reply to post by WonderBoi

How do you get "test results" without a live scenario?

Have you tried reading the article?

"We modelled sulphate aerosols which is sort of an analogue for when you have a large volcanic eruption - but instead of putting aerosols into your model you can also just reduce the amount of solar radiation coming into your system," said Dr Charlton-Perez.

"What we have done here is a very extreme scenario, we've put lots of CO2 into our model and we've geoengineered to counteract that.

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 06:41 PM
link   

This is a university study, not a Govt agency.

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 06:43 PM
link   

It has to be noted that they were using an extreme scenario and they've come in for some criticism for that - but they are not saying this is the definitive answer - but that it is part of the investigation into the issue that needs to take place.

I found this very interesting...

But according to Prof Piers Forster, from the University of Leeds, the technologies are still in their infancy.

"At present, these injection technologies do not exist, even on paper, and this precludes an evaluation of realistic effectiveness or side effects.

www.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 06:48 PM
link   

I have trouble finding details of SRM proposals. IIRC from what I have read in the past I at least got the impression that all or at least most would involve high altitudes. Above the levels that contrails would persist and cause the warming they are said to cause.

Do you know more about this?

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 06:58 PM
link   
reply to post by DenyObfuscation

Not off hand - you could look up David Keith's proposals, or the SPICE project - but there have actually not been all that many "concrete" plans design as far as I know - it is all still very theoretical.

The wiki page on sulphate injection has a lot of links that you might find informative.

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 08:06 PM
link   

Aloysius the Gaul

Who do you think initiates and funds a great deal of the research at universities lol. You should quit while you're behind lol.

The Bot

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 08:27 PM
link   
reply to post by dlbott

Lots of people do - even students who pay fees do.

But hey - you use services provided by the Govt too - so why should anyone trust you??!!

Oh yeah - and those universities funded by the Govt? They're the ones where the theories, research and/or training for almost everything you use in your entire life was developed - your computer, electricity, car, petrol, oils, your shampoo, cough mixtures, band aids - the evil scientists who developed all that stuff were trained at...gasp...universities!!

How do you live with yourself??

edit on 8-1-2014 by Aloysius the Gaul because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 09:54 PM
link   

Aloysius the Gaul

Oh, you mean the same "University" that gives you a degree of indoctrination; never acquiring REAL KNOWLEDGE? You mean, that "University"?

You know what the problem is, in our society? People believe SOME of the truth. They can't see the wool over their eyes. Everything they think they know about "life" is a lie; and the liars are going to make sure they continue living that lie; at all cost! Put a stethoscope around a man's neck and everyone will swear he's a doctor. Put a black robe on him and stick a gavel in his hand, and everyone will think he's a judge. Put the title "Dr." in front of his name, and people will assume he's got all the medical answers.

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 10:06 PM
link   

DenyObfuscation

"What we have done here is a very extreme scenario, we've put lots of CO2 into our model and we've geoengineered to counteract that.

That's the craziest version of "science" i have ever heard of, in my life. That's not how science works. How did they put CO2 into their "model", and "geoengineered to counteract that"? CO2 isn't a "number". You can't replicate on a hard drive. You gotta do actual tests. CO2 is a chemical and chemicals are formed by molecules and atoms; not O's and 1's.

Is that the stuff you guys BELIEVE? This is all being done, via computer models? Come on nooooooow?

It's more like this: they spray certain chemical particles in the air, like aluminum; then their weather stations, around the globe, track the data and that data is measured on the computer; and adjustments are made accordingly. I'm CERTAIN, by now, they know how much of what chemical needs to be sprayed, to get the amount of rainfall (or whatever weather they're trying to produce), at a certain location; at the time they want it to arrive (give or take delays or miscalculations). This stuff has been going on for a very long time, so, let's not pretend, like they're not using the technology.
edit on 8-1-2014 by WonderBoi because: code error

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 12:26 AM
link   

WonderBoi
Oh, you mean the same "University" that gives you a degree of indoctrination; never acquiring REAL KNOWLEDGE? You mean, that "University"?

No - I've never heard of that university - where is it?

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 12:29 AM
link   

WonderBoi

DenyObfuscation

That's the craziest version of "science" i have ever heard of, in my life. That's not how science works. How did they put CO2 into their "model", and "geoengineered to counteract that"? CO2 isn't a "number". You can't replicate on a hard drive. You gotta do actual tests. CO2 is a chemical and chemicals are formed by molecules and atoms; not O's and 1's.

The idea here is to DENY ignorance....not demonstrate it!

Modeling is how a lot of complicated systems are tested - computers are able to take known characteristics of various aspects of the system and run thousands of tests to see how they are expected to perform.

By changing various parameters you can also perform sensitivity testing.

And as any GOOD scientist knows, such testing remains a MODEL - it does not become a theory. And the model can improved and rerun as knowledge of the behavior of the components of the system is improved.

I am happy to have helped deny some of your ignorance today

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 03:07 AM
link   

WonderBoi
How do you get "test results" without a live scenario? And, what lunatic came up with the plan to "block the sun"? These people have been on a planet that have trees older than them, and they want to tell it how to function? Ooooooh booooi.

They noticed the effect that sulphates in the stratosphere from large volcanic eruptions had and worked it out from there. Three years of study and you don't know this. You didn't study knitting for three years by accident did you?

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 03:31 AM
link   

That's not how science works. How did they put CO2 into their "model", and "geoengineered to counteract that"?

They use the same thing you do to type out these replies...

It's called a computer model..And that is how science works.

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 03:33 AM
link   

No - I've never heard of that university - where is it?

That would be where Nick Begich received his degree.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join