It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What will be the outcome for the 4 people who take the one way trip to mars?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 01:02 PM
link   
I was wondering if anyone had any ideas as to what will be the outcome for the four people who travel to mars on their one way mission, I do not know what the surroundings on mars is like, only what is made available, but by all accounts it seems pretty barren. imagine no plant life, no grass, no weeds, no flowers, no bushes or trees or shrubs, no birds, infact no life at all. and all this every day for as long as you live, because you know there is no way back to earth. even to view earth from mars through a telescope, (if they have one with them) and to know that is where the rest of your species live, and you think of them having something you havent got. and that would probably be the thought of them having each other... I am not saying these are true feelings they are just what I imagine may be the thoughts and feelings of those mars settlers... and what about sanity, will the human mind cope, isn't insanity high on the list of afflictions that will affect those first settlers.... how long will their life expectancy be? I imagine I'd like to go, but not if it affects my sanity... how about you?

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 01:05 PM
link   
reply to post by flipflop

They will have schools named after them ...... I do wonder whether suicide pills might be part of their official supplies though?

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 01:05 PM
link   
They will die.

Although I truly hope it is not before sending back images of Arkens critters and artifacts.

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 01:13 PM
link   
They would embark on the single most excellent journey ever experienced by modern humans. Ever.

They would also probably go through a roller coaster of emotions, knowing that they can't come home, yet knowing they are doing something for the benefit of all mankind. It would be an incredible experience that words couldn't even describe, or passionately explain.

My guess is they would all need a change of underwear.

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 01:15 PM
link   
Upon arrival to the planet, they will be forced into labour camps to mine valuable resources which will then be shipped back here to Earth.

Or they will attempt to colonize the planet and most likely fail.

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 01:19 PM
link   
Four people is a very small margin for error. Just losing one of them ups the burden on the others and increases the chances of total failure exponentially. I think they have very long odds on enduring success unfortunately.

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 01:20 PM
link   
I guess if it were me I'd work incredibly hard to make the trip worth it, give earth a reason to send more people. agree with the underwear situation

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Real adventures and 100% safety rarely go hand in hand. The first europeans to try to settle in the new world risked their lives. The first astronauts risked their lives with thin suits and shuttles with no protection in comparison to todays standards.

Its time we stop using all our money on weapons and war, and go break new ground again, like we used to do.

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Mamatus
They will die.

Although I truly hope it is not before sending back images of Arkens critters and artifacts.

They will die a worse radiation death than we will from Fukushima leak.

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 01:46 PM
link   

I think they will die and it will be televised on some macabre reality show with a 20 minute delay from Mars I believe.

The sponsors will be getting in line for this unfortunately that's the way of the world.

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 01:50 PM
link   

AndyMayhew

They will have schools named after them ...... I do wonder whether suicide pills might be part of their official supplies though?

Sicide pills, thats a very good point, I hadn't thought of that... seems very feasible, just in case some of the ebe's try to interrogate them...

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 01:50 PM
link   
That's a suicide mission if ever there was one. As soon as they left the magnetosphere they would perish.

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Mamatus
They will die.

that would be a bit frightening but if they are willing to pose then why not..

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 01:52 PM
link   

havok
They would embark on the single most excellent journey ever experienced by modern humans. Ever.

They would also probably go through a roller coaster of emotions, knowing that they can't come home, yet knowing they are doing something for the benefit of all mankind. It would be an incredible experience that words couldn't even describe, or passionately explain.

My guess is they would all need a change of underwear.

I agree with all of that, and I guess spare underwear wouldn't go amiss given the circumstances....

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Chai_An
That's a suicide mission if ever there was one. As soon as they left the magnetosphere they would perish.

Wrong.

Yes the radiation is higher but only to the point you will get a 5% increase in cancer.

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Vortiki
Upon arrival to the planet, they will be forced into labour camps to mine valuable resources which will then be shipped back here to Earth.

Or they will attempt to colonize the planet and most likely fail.

the idea of labour camps kinda dampens the excitement a bit, but giving a hand to colonize the place might be exciting even if it ends in a fail first time of trying..

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 01:55 PM
link   
I would go, for sure.
What an insane but amazing trip?

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 01:56 PM
link   
Hopefully if they get there is spearhead a new and BIG drive to move out into the solar system and connect with them.
NASA may actually pull there lazy bureaucratic fingers out and set up a semi decent infrastructure.

edit on 8-1-2014 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 01:58 PM
link   

ketsuko
Four people is a very small margin for error. Just losing one of them ups the burden on the others and increases the chances of total failure exponentially. I think they have very long odds on enduring success unfortunately.

I guess to lose one would up the ante quite a bit on the remaining 3, having to share out the extra chores, it would also give rise to the dominance of the species, meaning there would be either 2 females and 1 male or 2 males and 1 female.. that could swing things a bit...and I guess their success must be suspect unfortunately..

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 02:02 PM
link   

listerofsmeg
I guess if it were me I'd work incredibly hard to make the trip worth it, give earth a reason to send more people. agree with the underwear situation

if we were one of those selected 4 humans I am sure if earth sent more it would be wonderful, as for the underwear that seems high on the list of requirements in replies... so perhaps they can persuade nasa to send up on ship filled only with underwear.. at least if aliens intercepted it, I'm sure it would puzzle them for a while..

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join