It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What will be the outcome for the 4 people who take the one way trip to mars?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Chazam
reply to post by flipflop

Real adventures and 100% safety rarely go hand in hand. The first europeans to try to settle in the new world risked their lives. The first astronauts risked their lives with thin suits and shuttles with no protection in comparison to todays standards.

Its time we stop using all our money on weapons and war, and go break new ground again, like we used to do.

I absolutely support and agree with your opinion in the second paragraph, relating to stopping the use of money on weapons and war.... the only arms any of us need are the ones we hug with...

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Skywatcher2011

Mamatus
They will die.

Although I truly hope it is not before sending back images of Arkens critters and artifacts.

They will die a worse radiation death than we will from Fukushima leak.

I guess no one knows what could be the outcome of this adventure, but I'm sure we hope it isn't as nasty as radiation..

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 02:13 PM
link   
In my opinion they will get severe illnesses of all different kinds of variety. But this will serve a scientific purpose.
They will be studied like human lab rats to ensure the next colonizers avoid the sicknesses.

The thing that I can't shake feeling is someone going psychotic once they get the life support up and running on Mars, then trying to disable it to kill everyone.

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 02:16 PM
link   

kuhl

I think they will die and it will be televised on some macabre reality show with a 20 minute delay from Mars I believe.

The sponsors will be getting in line for this unfortunately that's the way of the world.

this reply tell's me you have been here for a while, and have gotten to know the way of the human species.. if this is the outcome it will make tales of the macabre, look like a disney cartoon classic.. i for one hope we dont drop as low as this or have we done that already??

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 02:18 PM
link   
If the first four stay alive, eventually others will follow.

I predict that eventually, someone will get the worst case of cabin fever ever and attempt to leave the base without the aid of a spacesuit.

Anyway, I hope the outcome is better than with what happened to Bowie Base on Doctor Who.

I try to keep my hopes up and hope these are our first successful baby steps.
edit on 8-1-2014 by Junkheap because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 02:22 PM
link   

yourmaker
In my opinion they will get severe illnesses of all different kinds of variety. But this will serve a scientific purpose.
They will be studied like human lab rats to ensure the next colonizers avoid the sicknesses.

The thing that I can't shake feeling is someone going psychotic once they get the life support up and running on Mars, then trying to disable it to kill everyone.

I guess they will obviously have to be tested on a regular basis, and if they can by without suffering mentally, of course as you point out they may get some physical ilness, which will probably prove fatal with such a limited medical support..

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Junkheap
If the first four stay alive, eventually others will follow.

I predict that eventually, someone will get the worst case of cabin fever ever and attempt to leave the base without the aid of a spacesuit.

Anyway, I hope the outcome is better than with what happened to Bowie Base on Doctor Who.

I try to keep my hopes up and hope these are our first successful baby steps.
edit on 8-1-2014 by Junkheap because: (no reason given)

I'm sure if the 4 manage to survive in some sort of reasonable mental and physical condition, then others will surely give it a go, and I'm sure others support your hope for success for them...

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 02:29 PM
link   

ketsuko
Four people is a very small margin for error. Just losing one of them ups the burden on the others and increases the chances of total failure exponentially. I think they have very long odds on enduring success unfortunately.

Losing one means more food for the rest! Depending on their tasks, there may be no increased burden at all, assuming they are not tasked with a set number of man hours to accomplish whatever it is they are supposed to do.

But the issue is, what constitutes success? The intent is likely not to "colonize the planet" with four people. The intent is not to "procure resources" either. The intent most likely is to stay alive until they reach a natural death and possibly until additional people arrive. For a pioneering spirit this is the adventure of a lifetime, hardly a burden.

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Sadness.

2lines.

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 02:32 PM
link   
reply to post by crazyewok

Really, how did you get that figure? If the radiation weren't so bad nations around the planet would have ships on their way to both the Moon and Mars.

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 02:36 PM
link   

flipflop
. and what about sanity, will the human mind cope, isn't insanity high on the list of afflictions that will affect those first settlers.... how long will their life expectancy be? I imagine I'd like to go, but not if it affects my sanity... how about you?

Mental stress. I first thought about the need to have at least one AWESOME Psychiatrist among them.

4? that really sounds too few.

Why not 12? I can think of a four man crew being crippled by the smallest of accidents. Just think if one person has an issue, that would really put a strain on things.

Still can't get over the bewilderment of only sending 4 people. That is nowhere near a safe number for any viability.

Although, If asked, I would probably say yes if I didn't have a family.

4 Sheldon Coopers would do quite well comparatively.

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 02:37 PM
link   

I have been knocking around for quite a while lol.

On further thought the 4 may not just die live(delayed 20mins) but actually go mad and kill each other ....or at least 1 person may kill the rest after an mental episode.

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Chai_An
reply to post by crazyewok

Really, how did you get that figure? If the radiation weren't so bad nations around the planet would have ships on their way to both the Moon and Mars.

First we have been to the moon.

2nd the reason we havent is its expense.

No one wants to spend multi billions to set up a proper infrastructure to make solar sysrem explotation and exploration affordable.

Actually no lots now seem to want to do but fall short with resources.

Well to put int another way only goverments can afford the start up costs at the moment yet no goverment seems to have the nerve to put the money up as they with catch hell from the unwashed uneducated masses who cant understand the importance of moving out and would rather the money be spend on social programs or the military.
In other words space is not a vote winner. And politican only care about vote winners.
edit on 8-1-2014 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 02:44 PM
link   
From what I have read it sounds like 2 males and 2 females? Would they actually bring a child or more into the martian world and what chance of survival would any human baby have on Mars?

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 02:48 PM
link   
If all goes well, within a decade there will more flights with more people, supplies, and possibly the infrastructure for return flights. If things do not go well, then who knows.

This is not that much different than primitive man taking a boat to a close island. If we want to truly be an inter-planet and one day an inter-stellar species then we need to start somewhere.

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 02:53 PM
link   

flipflop

Chazam

Real adventures and 100% safety rarely go hand in hand. The first europeans to try to settle in the new world risked their lives. The first astronauts risked their lives with thin suits and shuttles with no protection in comparison to todays standards.

Its time we stop using all our money on weapons and war, and go break new ground again, like we used to do.

I absolutely support and agree with your opinion in the second paragraph, relating to stopping the use of money on weapons and war.... the only arms any of us need are the ones we hug with...

Not sure about the hugs thing, but humanity would be better off in redirecting some of the budget used for destruction to researching methods to provide global peace and providing the basic necessities to man kind.

One thing that is pretty amazing about this expedition is , that as far as I know their is no martian currency yet and really no gov't entity to enforce rules. These people will be living in a form of anarchy.

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 02:56 PM
link   

schuyler

ketsuko
Four people is a very small margin for error. Just losing one of them ups the burden on the others and increases the chances of total failure exponentially. I think they have very long odds on enduring success unfortunately.

Losing one means more food for the rest! Depending on their tasks, there may be no increased burden at all, assuming they are not tasked with a set number of man hours to accomplish whatever it is they are supposed to do.

But the issue is, what constitutes success? The intent is likely not to "colonize the planet" with four people. The intent is not to "procure resources" either. The intent most likely is to stay alive until they reach a natural death and possibly until additional people arrive. For a pioneering spirit this is the adventure of a lifetime, hardly a burden.

perhaps the loss of one is more food from that perspective, and there must be chores for the 4 if not why not send 3, anyway, the intent as you say, (is most likely to stay alive unti they reach a natural death and possibly until additional people arrive, For a pioneering spirit this is the adventure of a lifetime, hardly a burden.) that could well be the case, or it may be that mars will not be colonized by earthlings at all, but by hybrids, we may not want to start off a new bunch of humans on another planet, whats the point in that, we know what we can do when we colonize a whole planet, example earth... but this is guinea pig times so why not use the nearest thing to hybrids we have... em step up human entity.. could all this make sense, or is it a lot of gobblegook, no one can say at this point in time.. thanks for your input though...

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 03:01 PM
link   

whatnext21
From what I have read it sounds like 2 males and 2 females? Would they actually bring a child or more into the martian world and what chance of survival would any human baby have on Mars?

thats just it, what else is there to do on a planet so barren and uninteresting outside the possibility of finding something odd.. it will be a lonely time up there. and lonliness can lead to anything, even the birth of a baby martian...

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 03:07 PM
link   

interupt42

flipflop

Chazam

Not sure about the hugs thing, but humanity would be better off in redirecting some of the budget used for destruction to researching methods to provide global peace and providing the basic necessities to man kind.

One thing that is pretty amazing about this expedition is , that as far as I know their is no martian currency yet and really no gov't entity to enforce rules. These people will be living in a form of anarchy.

yes i know it would be pretty difficult to hug a buffalo to death just in time for the barbecue, so perhaps some arms of the killing kind for the purpose of necessity to survive.. but a big reduction in the production of weapons to control the sheeple.. NO CURRENCY, wow hadn't thought about that either, does that mean everything is freeeeee and no government either so therefore no laws or rules, which means you cannot become a criminal on mars, atm at least... good points

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 03:09 PM
link   
My belief is what is learned by actual people there for a short times will be less than the cost to the country. But then the US doesn't have money problems when it comes to those in power to spend the money.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join