It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

For the sake of argument, let’s admit that God exists.

page: 24
<< 21  22  23    25  26 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 02:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Itisnowagain

The thread is all about 'God' being just a word but no word can appear without God.
God is the cause of all finite things - no finite thing can appear without God or be conceived without God.

God is the only substance.

That sounds pretty nice. I like it. You have a pleasant conception of God.

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 02:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Aphorism

Have you identified yourself as a finite thing?

No finite thing can conceive.
edit on 11-1-2014 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 02:25 AM
link   

I thought the thread was about different groups having different definitions of "God" and the OP was asking what it was that members meant when they used that word.

Of course you and others did what is always done and try to tell us why your definition is the right one.

I could be wrong but that was my take.

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 02:30 AM
link   

daskakik

I thought the thread was about different groups having different definitions of "God" and the OP was asking what it was that members meant when they used that word.

Of course you and others did what is always done and try to tell us why your definition is the right one.

I could be wrong but that was my take.

It is all for the sake of argument.

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 02:30 AM
link   

Have you identified yourself as a finite thing?

No finite thing can conceive.

Are we playing a language game?

Yes, I'm a finite thing. I just conceived of that idea.

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 02:34 AM
link   

Aphorism
Yes, I'm a finite thing. I just conceived of that idea.

The idea conceived is a finite thing.
The woods written on this screen here are finite - that which they appear in is infinite.

An idea appears, a word appears, a sound appears - can you keep any of them? They are finite - they appear to have a beginning and an end. What do they begin and end in?

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 02:38 AM
link   
reply to post by daskakik

Aphorism
Plainly stated, since God is only ever found within books, art, rhetoric and from various forms of human expression—indeed, we cannot know about God any other way—we must assume that this is as what, as where, and as how, God exists. This subject we can deny or have an opinion about; this character we pray to; this character we refuse to contemplate. From what we can confirm, it exists as a word in its fundamental form. All talk about God is talk about this word.

Therefor, I agree with the theists that God exists, but only insofar as it exists as a word in a book. But does it exist as anything else?

I thought the thread was about the OP believing that God is just a word - he did say, does it exist as anything else?

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 02:39 AM
link   

I saw the OP state that in his title and then say:

To move this ancient stalemate forward, it might be a good idea to come to terms over what we are actually talking about in its regard.

He then seemed to go on and state his stance on the matter. "God is just a word".

He can correct me if I'm wrong.

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 02:42 AM
link   

daskakik

I saw the OP state that in his title and then say:

To move this ancient stalemate forward, it might be a good idea to come to terms over what we are actually talking about in its regard.

He then seemed to go on and state his stance on the matter. "God is just a word".

He can correct me if I'm wrong.

The OP states that 'God' is just a word - that may or not be his stance. Maybe no one should have answered and there would be no 'argument' but an argument is what was desired.
Do you think 'God' is just a word?
Or do you think the word is pointing toward everything and nothing?

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 03:03 AM
link   

Aphorism
Are we playing a language game?

The language game cannot be 'played' - it is nothing other than a 'battle' of words.
Concepts will always divide. That which is divided is conflicted.

Only when that which is prior to all concepts is unveiled will peace be known.

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 03:10 AM
link   

Itisnowagain
The OP states that 'God' is just a word - that may or not be his stance.

Yes that is something for him to clear up.

Maybe no one should have answered and there would be no 'argument' but an argument is what was desired.

The argument exists with or without this thread.

Do you think 'God' is just a word?

Depends on the context.

Or do you think the word is pointing toward everything and nothing?

I wouldn't use that word as the pointer to that concept.

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 03:13 AM
link   

daskakik
Depends on the context.

God is the context and all finite things that appear and disappear are content.

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 03:17 AM
link   

Like I said, I wouldn't use that word in that context and others using that word are also not using it in that context. That muddle things up.

edit on 11-1-2014 by daskakik because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 03:23 AM
link   

daskakik

Like I said, I wouldn't use that word in that context and others using that word are also not using it in that context. That muddle things up.

Muddle 'things' up.
Where do appearing things appear?

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 03:27 AM
link   
reply to post by daskakik

And while there is thinking about it - notice where the thoughts are appearing.
Is there an awareness that thought is occurring?
Where does thought appear and where is it conceived?

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 03:30 AM
link   

If you don't see how one group of people using the word "god" to point at the character in the bible, another referring to their preferred diety, while still others use it to refer to some new age idea and you using to point at whatever it is that you think it points to isn't muddling things then you just don't get it.

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 03:31 AM
link   
Ya know when I read this I think it's not really about there being a God, it's about there being an afterlife.

Basically anything involved in the creation of what everything is could be considered 'god' or 'godly'. I'm an agnostic because many insist you choose one side, when in reality I can't particularly believe the bible is completely true. I think the beginning of the bible with "let there be light" is way too oversimplified and is almost a mockery of God and all the work that he put into it if he were real. I mean think about all the elements! haha. But there also has to be some reason for the coincidences, irony, and humor type things we run into in life.

I find that a lot of people who have religious beliefs have had some kind of experience that is not necessarily always miracle, but almost kind of like a hallucination. A lot of people that take drugs and get clean end up being religious most of the time and I always thought that to be a factor. I remember one day just laying in my bed listening to the radio and managed to catch a station that was talking about people being given a pill that was supposed to give you a life changing experience apart of a study and about how drugs can make some religious. They said 85% had a life changing experience who were given the pill and none of the placebo effect pills had any effect, if I remember correctly. I have had coincidences and funny things happen that do make me question how or why everything is, but nothing ever to win me over for good. In fact the only thing that I can remember me attempting to get close to religion or God when I was younger was fear. I did not understand a lot at that time but now I do and I do not particularly believe in any God, but if I were to, I would not believe in the angry, controlling, damning God that I think a lot of other people do. One that has a damn good sense of humor and always loves you.

The thing about afterlife though anyways, is that I just don't know really. Most look at afterlife as the only thing really to look forward to and I don't agree with that. Think about it, if God created this planet and freewill for humanity, there must be something else here we were put here to do. If he wanted you to really walk around all day and praise him you'd be an angel, not human. That's the thing though is that alot of people believe in God for the afterlife which I think should be the opposite.

Look around you and appreciate. Stop the other humans from destroying Earth and see why Lucifer was so jealous.

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 03:31 AM
link   
For arguments sake? Pmsl
Ok then....
You won't find God through a book, especially books that have been rewritten to suit.
People will be in awe when the time comes.

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 03:32 AM
link   

daskakik

If you don't see how one group of people using the word "god" to point at the character in the bible, another referring to their preferred diety, while still others use it to refer to some new age idea and you using to point at whatever it is that you think it points to isn't muddling things then you just don't get it.

Is this moment of presence an idea?
Past and future ARE ideas that cannot appear outside presence.

Nothing can appear or be conceived outside of presence.
Thoughts arise that speak of other - there is no other.

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 03:35 AM
link   

jazz10
For arguments sake? Pmsl
Ok then....
You won't find God through a book, especially books that have been rewritten to suit.
People will be in awe when the time comes.
It is awesome.
The bible makes a lot more sense when time ends.
God is timelessly being this.

top topics

<< 21  22  23    25  26 >>

join