It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Right-Wing Group Seeks Help Rewriting the Bible Because It's Not Conservative Enough

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 22 2013 @ 10:08 AM
link   

AfterInfinity
reply to post by Lazarus Short

That's not what the Bible tells us.

OK, what does the Bible tell you? It's really funny! People rant at the Christians' "evil" God who sends sinners to Hell, and also complain that the Bible has been tampered with by evil men. Then, when I come along and present the Truth that all are saved, and that Hell is a 404, I get a "Whoa, wait a minute, there!" AfterInfinity, you just made my day!

posted on Dec, 22 2013 @ 10:09 AM
link   

AfterInfinity
reply to post by wildtimes

It's not your bad. Some people miss the forest for the trees.

Others miss the trees for the forest. Just sayin'.

posted on Dec, 22 2013 @ 04:22 PM
link   
reply to post by wildtimes

I think the plan is to reduce the population down to 500,000,000 and then bringing out the new bible "Urantia" for the next age. It was written back in the 30's and 40's.

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 07:46 AM
link   
reply to post by searcher109

I "discovered" the Urantia Book when I was about 20 years old, back in the late 70s. I found it to be fascinating. Since then, I've looked at it a couple of more times, and find some of it too far-fetched; but it is still a worthwhile read, if for no other reason than a study of the anthropological 'evolution' of human thought.

(Which actually, I think, moves in cycles - huge cycles spanning centuries/millennia.)

I don't buy in with the "population reduction" theory - it just doesn't seem plausible except for a sinister sci-fi plot for a movie or novel....

edit on 12/23/13 by wildtimes because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 07:53 AM
link   
so, an ultra-super-duper conservative fundamentalist christian, who is believeing that the bible is the word of god, attempts to... change the word of his own God ? Shows that he isn t believing his own faith either, since something like that would not stand well with the deity he worships and would be an outright sin in his own religion... so god is ... fallable? wow... have fun in the afterlife ... -.-

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 09:46 AM
link   

Lazarus Short

AfterInfinity
reply to post by Lazarus Short

That's not what the Bible tells us.

OK, what does the Bible tell you? It's really funny! People rant at the Christians' "evil" God who sends sinners to Hell, and also complain that the Bible has been tampered with by evil men. Then, when I come along and present the Truth that all are saved, and that Hell is a 404, I get a "Whoa, wait a minute, there!" AfterInfinity, you just made my day!

What's the point of selling BS if it isn't even consistent?
edit on 23-12-2013 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 11:07 AM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

It's not a matter of consistency but rather a matter of Biblical interpretation. There is an ever widening rift amongst those of the Christian faith- those who follow the belief that anyone who doesn't accept Christ goes to Hell and those who follow the belief that with the sacrifice of Christ all of humanity was saved from "Sin debt" and that Hell is no longer a threat to man.

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 11:12 AM
link   
I find it funny how everyone is outraged by the rewriting of work of fiction in the first place. You do realize this is probably how the bible was written anyway. A bunch of idealistic people got together and wrote a book on how they think people should live.

To me it's like getting upset because they rewrote the original superman movie. Laughable at best.

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 11:16 AM
link   
reply to post by littled16

The bible does not say his sacrifice was absolute. You must believe, repent, and emulate. Otherwise, you are not saved. I have read the bible before.

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 11:35 AM
link   
reply to post by GuidedKill

I agree with you, it's only "another edition." There's the LOLcat Bible as well - has a page remarkably similar to the Conservapedia one.

Still, I look at it from the pov of the intent: these 'editors' KNOW that there are LOTS of people who actually don't think the Bible is a work of literature. What they are doing is, to us who do not take the Bible seriously - fan-fiction - but, to the pious who revere the Bible, it is subversive and

well

a perpetuation of divisiveness, control, and a bald-faced effort to "eradicate" any semblance of "progressive" thought.

It's shameful, really.

LOLcat's version is pretty funny, though.
LOLcat Bible

OH HAI!
Blessinz of teh Ceiling Cat be apwn yu, srsly. This is the lolcat Bible Translation Project, a project dedicated to translating the entire Bible into lolspeak. The Project started in July of 2007 and so far we have most of the Bible translated!

New Testament

Matthew
Mark
Luke
John
Acts
Romans
1 Corinthians
2 Corinthians
Galatians
Ephesians
Philippians
Colossians
1 Thessalonians
2 Thessalonians
1 Timothy
2 Timothy
Titus
Philemon
Hebrews
James
1 Peter
2 Peter
1 John
2 John
3 John
Jude
Revelation
Old Testament
Bible5.gif
Genesis
Exodus
Leviticus
Numbers
Deuteronomy
Joshua
Judges
Ruth
1 Samuel
2 Samuel
1 Kings
2 Kings
1 Chronicles
2 Chronicles
Ezra
Nehemiah
Esther
Job
Psalms
Proverbs
Ecclesiastes
Song of Solomon
Isaiah
Jeremiah
Lamentations
Ezekiel
Daniel
Hosea
Joel
Amos
Obadiah
Jonah
Micah
Nahum
Habakkuk
Zephaniah
Haggai
Zechariah
Malachi

Anyone can help - and there's a couple of pages for "improvements" and "Suggestions", as well as a handy-dandy guide to "lol-speak.'

I particularly like at the very bottom of the site, there's a small clickable About LOLCat Bible Translation Project

Which says only....

LOLCat Bible Translation Project:About

Its... to translate the Bible into lolcat. Hah.

Which I suppose to may also be offensive to the many who'd be offended by the Conservapedia project.

Just sayin'. For me, though - the Conservapedia one is downright playing dirty, while LOLcat is just for fun.

*shrug
Of course, the Bible itself, is well -not fun. Not fun at all, generally speaking.

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 11:36 AM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

Yes dear I know what it says. I also know that YOU know what it says better than most professed Christians! But the biggest chasms within the faith (and the reason there are so many different flavors of Christianity) have always been caused by interpretation, usually spun by some pompous minister with a massive ego trying to make a name for himself.

A lot of so-called Christian beliefs are based on bogus interpretations and spins. You would be amazed (well, maybe not) at the amount of people who just take their religious leader's word as law without ever reading the Biblical passages for themselves. For example there are sects where women are forbidden from wearing pants and the congregation obeys without investigating what the Bible says which is basically women shouldn't dress and present themselves as men. That has nothing at all to do with wearing pants! When the Bible was written everybody wore robes or tunics- DUH!!! Or what about the sects that claim the Bible says you can't have blood transfusions? If you read the verses they point out it appears to mean that but if you read the entire passage you will find it was referring to drinking your enemy's blood after killing them in battle. Just a few samples of how things that the Bible doesn't say are accepted just on someone's interpretation. I'm sure you can think of more!

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 11:41 AM
link   
@op... Something for you to consider.... Since polls show that christians dont take the Bible literally, how exactly would this re-written Bible an issue? Just asking.
edit on 23-12-2013 by sk0rpi0n because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 11:45 AM
link   
reply to post by sk0rpi0n

I've already said:
there are SOME people who take it very seriously. Those are the intended "victims" of this ruse, to eliminate ANY possibility of progressive/liberal thought to even darken the threshold of the Conservative Fundamentalist Evangelical Pentecostal Charismatic New Apostolic Reformation places.

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 11:54 AM
link   
@ wildtimese....''
I've already said:
there are SOME people who take it very seriously. '' __________________________________________ I doubt this would go well with the old-schoolers who stick by their ye olde Bibles. So they could re-write the Bible any way they want, they wont be replacing the older, time-tested versions which have been pretty much standardized.

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 11:56 AM
link   

sk0rpi0n
@op... Something for you to consider.... Since polls show that christians dont take the Bible literally, how exactly would this re-written Bible an issue? Just asking.
edit on 23-12-2013 by sk0rpi0n because: (no reason given)

they would be more inclined to swallow a customized and/or politically driven interpretation of scripture.

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 11:58 AM
link   

The thing is:

The Bible IS NOT one of those things about which we can simply say (as of Shakespeare, or Homer, or Plato)

"It is what it is."

The Bible is notoriously something so nebulous that no one can say what it truly means. It's more like "pop culture in an old book format" than it is like any Divine Word.

Which makes it Prime Grade-A Target material for ANYONE wanting to "use it" to oppress or control others.
As littled so succinctly and wisely put it: many people never even read it. They just hear what their "pastor" or "preacher" says, and take their word for it. A skilled "pastor" - like any "teacher" - can choose any number of spins on it, and know that their 'flock' will accept it without question; and if any member DOES question them, they can be summarily shut down, shunned by the group, and made to be a "scapegoat."

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 12:03 PM
link   

AfterInfinity
reply to post by littled16

The bible does not say his sacrifice was absolute. You must believe, repent, and emulate. Otherwise, you are not saved. I have read the bible before.

Not 100% true.

Look at the two who were crucified with Christ. Both were bad men, thieves/sinners, right up until the end. One taunted Jesus and demanded He do something if He really was the son of God. The other rebuked him and told him that both of them were bad men and deserved the punishment they were receiving. Then, he asked Christ only to remember him when He went to His Father's kingdom. It was this second thief who was saved.

It seems to me that the marks of who was saved and who was not were twofold - The first man did not believe and did not take responsibility for his bad acts (no faith, no repentance). The second man asked only to be remembered and rebuked the first for not realizing they deserved what they were getting (faith and repentance).

Which of the two was with Christ? The second.

When did either have a chance to emulate Christ in his life as both were in the process of dying?

Of course, that doesn't mean you should just do whatever old sinful thing you want all throughout your life. You never know for sure when death might come for you, and it's best to have lived the best life you can because we Christians believe that you will have to stand before God and make an accounting for what we have and haven't done in our lives. You may be saved, but that doesn't mean the final interview will be very pleasant if you've been a wastrel.

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 12:10 PM
link   
@op....'' makes it Prime Grade-A Target material for ANYONE wanting to "use it" to oppress or control others.'' _________________________________________ well, there are polls to suggest that the current version of this book cant even ''control'' and ''oppress'' Christians themselves into reading it the same way. So its unlikely that this new version would change anything.

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 12:14 PM
link   

I'm not sure what country you come from, but the US in general is a country that was based on an independent frame of mind. We may like our religion, but it's not nearly the tool of control here that it might be in some other countries of the world. I think most Christians would fight an attempt to impose a Theocracy, even a Christian one, as much as they are fighting what's currently happening. For one thing, which sect is doing the imposition? None of the others are going to be very happy with it.

posted on Dec, 23 2013 @ 12:15 PM
link   

So its unlikely that this new version would change anything.

We can hope so. (Edit: Maybe we don't want that, though - we DO need change, that's for sure). But there's always some 'extremist' who will try - who will use it to indoctrinate their own children, or, if in a position of clerical power, an entire congregation. Particularly those who fear "the fires of hell."

There's also a raging controversy right now about educational texts - which are ALSO under scrutiny and has powerful people looking to "excise" them of secular science, and infused with "Christian Religious Propaganda."

I can only say that eventually, there will be SO MANY VERSIONS that the entire thing becomes a laughing matter.
A relic of the past. (Which, in my mind, it already is...but not in the minds of everyone.)

I wonder if the Pastafarians have a "version"?

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join