It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Right-Wing Group Seeks Help Rewriting the Bible Because It's Not Conservative Enough

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Lazarus Short

AfterInfinity
It is exclusionary subversive division that causes problems...the sort of division that promotes an unbridged rift between factions and demands hostility at all opportunities.

Oh, just like we have here on ATS most of the time...[grins]

Touche.

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 03:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

i am liberal, and i have heard of him and his group. he is the son of phylis schlafly. remember her? the eagle forum? apple does did not fall to far from the tree in this case.

they are going to turn the prince of peace into "guns and moses" heston. sad!

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 03:33 PM
link   

blackthorne
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

i am liberal, and i have heard of him and his group. he is the son of phylis schlafly. remember her? the eagle forum? apple does did not fall to far from the tree in this case.

they are going to turn the prince of peace into "guns and moses" heston. sad!

Wasn't she the lady who sent each male member of Congress a slice of quiche, with a note reading, "Real Men Don't Draft Women"?

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Lazarus Short
Wasn't she the lady who sent each male member of Congress a slice of quiche, with a note reading, "Real Men Don't Draft Women"?

That's her. She tirelessly campaigns around America, telling people that a woman's place is in the kitchen. She's a hypocrite in other words. Her son, on the other hand, is a nutjob.

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 04:00 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 04:03 PM
link   

AngryCymraeg

Lazarus Short

That's her. She tirelessly campaigns around America, telling people that a woman's place is in the kitchen. She's a hypocrite in other words. Her son, on the other hand, is a nutjob.

That's disgusting.

link   
reply to post by rupertg

Friend, I tried to pull up your videos so I could embed them properly....

when I tried, it pointed to TTA....

this the one you wanted to show?::

link   
Well, this is what happens when people get their religion and ideology backwards.
I'm all for religion informing our everyday lives, including our politics, but this is the other way around. Politics should not be driving religion, and I think it's really sad that "conservative (American) Christianity" has gotten to the point of wanting to "retranslate" the Bible. It's mixing politics with religion in the worst way.
And seriously? What's wrong with the KJV anyway? Oh, that's right, it uses "shrewd," and we're too dumb to use a concordance or even get the idea the Bible is communicating.

Good catch, wildtimes.

I think you worry too much about the hard-core theocrats; they're fairly unpopular among Christians (my perception). The Christian conservative evangelical crowd is much more popular, and also much more moderate, although they tend to go big-governmenty when it comes to things like killing terrorists and cracking down on drugs. Personally, I think the threat to liberty posed by those people trying to crack down on drugs and kill terrorists is much greater than the threat posed by all five Christian theocrats still alive and kicking in North America. (I don't believe the "Conservative Bible Project" is affiliated with the hard-core theocrats, just so I'm clear. I just noticed your concerns that the far-right is trying to theocratize the USA, and I think those efforts are going to get little traction.)

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 04:05 PM
link   
reply to post by wildtimes

I thought these idiotic fundementals believed that the bible is the direct word of god. I guess god's word isn't hateful enough for these sick a-holes.

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 07:38 PM
link   

wildtimes
reply to post by ProfessorChaos

www.abovetopsecret.com...
Here is what I said ^^

Since you wish to pursue this, these are your generalizing words:

THIS IS SICKENING. Omg. OMfreakingG.

I weep for this nation.

The few things that we had to hold onto in the teachings of the Bible, and now the Conservatives want to remove those/rephrase them to suit their own "image."

If anyone ever again tells you "The Bible is the literal, original, unedited, untweaked, uncorrupted Word of God, word for word," you will know what to say:

"Nuh Uh!" And then ignore them. Better yet, run away.

Those were not quotes from a site, or, they weren't formatted as such, which leads one to believe they are your words.

I am not offended, I am pointing out gross generalizations, that, if you had no intention of making, should have been reworded.

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 07:47 PM
link   

wildtimes
reply to post by rupertg

Friend, I tried to pull up your videos so I could embed them properly....

when I tried, it pointed to TTA....

this the one you wanted to show?::

Cute baby, but they are responding to damnationist theology, which I reject. No, Hell is a 404, and all will be saved in the fullness of time. Heaven is unavoidable.

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 08:14 PM
link   
Conservapedia must not familiar with the variety of right-leaning politicians who quote the bible if they think it's too left leaning. Really goes to show how much respect they have for their own religious text.
edit on 21-12-2013 by technical difficulties because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 08:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Aleister

They translate "Jesus wept" into "Jesus burst into tears".

They couldn't even leave that simple and well known phrase alone.

I couldn't agree more.

I don't typically actively participate in threads like these but I had to comment on this as I've always felt that "Jesus wept" is one of the finest verses in the bible.

It's power & simplicity are unrivaled.

The idiotic hubris of this entire project is mind-boggling. The only saving grace (no pun intended) is that the mere effort itself completely dooms the effort. It is self-defeatism of the highest order...

Darwinism at its finest. (How's that for muddying the waters?)

posted on Dec, 22 2013 @ 04:41 AM
link   

Blasphemy !

Several times, throughout the bible, it is made perfectly clear that altering the word of God, to add to it, or take from it, is to risk damnation.

Now, we can argue the idea that the book has been messed about with before, but these people are off their collective rockers if they think that further molesting the Bible, the Holy Word Of God, is ever going to have a. Positive effect on their spiritual existence.

Apart from that, it's a damned outrage.

posted on Dec, 22 2013 @ 04:43 AM
link   

wildtimes

When Jesus greets his disciples with the blessing, “Peace be with you” (John 20, 26), the editors cleverly change the wording to, "Peace of mind be with you,"

so that nobody gets the wrong idea and thinks Jesus was some kind of lilly-livered pacifist.

Also, if you translate “Peace be with you” into Arabic you get 'Assalamu Alaikum'....

posted on Dec, 22 2013 @ 05:31 AM
link   
It's quite possible, and probably definitely true that the bible is not what it was originally. In terms of the actual words that is. Mostly because people during the time had to transfer it from one language to another, and then to another in most cases. Not to mention this was before fancy printing presses, and mass production could happen. So people did it long handed. And of course some words in one language have a similar meaning to another word in another language, but don't always have the exact meaning. And then a similar word may be translated again into a more distant word than the original. But that wouldn't have been deliberately.

And then, it's said that some documents and books pertaining to Christianity were destroyed since they were said to have had too much power. Commonly known as book burning. Or maybe since the discovered things that were contradicting to some extent. Although this is surely not a trait exclusive to Christianity by any means. And perhaps is a little more theoretical, but to be fair, you have to admit that it's a pretty highly likely that it had happened to some extent within the years. A religious book would be a prime target for that type of work.

But people trying to change a religious belief because it doesn't exactly uphold their own values and ideals, is laughable. But I will say I am not surprised some dummies are trying it. Hell, I'm sure it may have happened to the bible in the past at one time anyway. Hard to say, but I would say that it's fairly plausible. After all, it would be a good way to try and push a specific political agenda. And humans have been doing this for a very long time. Much longer than the book called the bible sprang about.

posted on Dec, 22 2013 @ 07:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Lazarus Short

That's not what the Bible tells us.

posted on Dec, 22 2013 @ 08:06 AM
link   

TrueBrit

Blasphemy !

Several times, throughout the bible, it is made perfectly clear that altering the word of God, to add to it, or take from it, is to risk damnation.

Now, we can argue the idea that the book has been messed about with before, but these people are off their collective rockers if they think that further molesting the Bible, the Holy Word Of God, is ever going to have a. Positive effect on their spiritual existence.

Apart from that, it's a damned outrage.

I can only imagine what what they will ad to it? Jesus the gun toting Ameican tea party member
The right to bare arms as the 11th comandments
And of course Jesus charged a hefty fee for all his mircles cause jesus aint no dirty commie handing out free medical care
Satan will be changed to Obama

edit on 22-12-2013 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2013 @ 08:13 AM
link   
reply to post by ProfessorChaos

I am not offended, I am pointing out gross generalizations, that, if you had no intention of making, should have been reworded.

Okay, I see what you mean. I meant not general Conservatives - but this particular variety of them.
Sorry for coming across as speaking of them all. My bad.

posted on Dec, 22 2013 @ 08:30 AM
link   

It's not your bad. Some people miss the forest for the trees.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join