It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

5% of the Population is Gay...Will Gay People ever stop pushing their Agenda?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:
+5 more 
posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 02:12 PM
link   

whyamIhere
This has been bugging me for quite awhile.

I get it. Some people are Gay. I really am happy you can be with who you want.

But, quit shoving it down our throats. You are 5% of the population.

African Americans are only 12.6% of the population.
Should we take away the Networks that are "black" Perhaps make sure that on every show, in every political party, in every sports team, there are only 12.6% African Americans?
Should everyone only be allowed as much airtime and exposure as their percentile ranking?

What a pathetic and ridiculous OP.

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 02:13 PM
link   

buster2010
reply to post by whyamIhere

Why live your life constantly being identified by your sexuality?

Because people are denied their rights because of their sexuality? Just like women had to fight for their rights in this country. And blacks had to fight for their rights in this country gays are having to fight for their rights in this country.

They've really gotten to you, Sheldon.

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Personally, I don't care about a person's sexuality or gender identity. I look forward to the time when we STOP talking about all this crap: Skin color, sexual orientation, religious preference.

I judge each individual by how they are as a person. Are they kind? Do they care about their fellow citizen? Do they try to do the right thing? I have gay friends and straight friends. My gay friends are not militant, they're just who they are and I love them.

I believe this divisive rhetoric is done on purpose, to turn us against each other. Don't fall for it! Judge each person as an individual. What they do in the privacy of their own bedroom means nothing to me. The militant factions that get in our face regarding sexual orientation and race have a destructive agenda. The best thing to do is to ignore them.

+6 more 
posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Okay I am not understanding this whole idea that there is a gay agenda.

I am a lesbian and live in Texas, right now this is one of the states where gay marriage is illegal. Meaning me and my girlfriend who have been together for quite some time pay a significantly larger amount in income taxes every year because we can't sign a marriage contract. I also can't get her health insurance as a result of not being married. Right now I have an injury and it's not healing correctly and I am having trouble finding additional employment. That's just a few examples of differences that really suck when you're a queer. Of course by pointing that out I am a "militant" gay. LOL. Right.

I see many posts on ATS from members shouting that there is a gay agenda, like what does that even mean?

And that there are militant gays. Are you #ing serious? What is a militant gay anyway?

Maybe a tranny holding a rainbow flag and a machine gun? I seriously have no idea. It's complete nonsense.

Either way, the reality is that there are still many states where gay marriage is illegal. There are states where you can be fired for being gay and have no recourse other than to go # yourself. Until that changes there will still be gays and lesbians that will be vocal and fighting to get legislation passed.

Also, while 5% of the population identifies as GLBT that doesn't represent the actual number of people having teh gay sex. The percentage of the population involved in same sex activities is much higher. The 5% is simply a representation of how people "identify". Doesn't mirror actual sexual behaviors.

This will be my one and only post on this topic as it's complete nonsense.

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 02:21 PM
link   
I think part of the problem is that it's just not that easy being gay. While I think that things like gay pride parades are probably not helpful in the way that I've seen them conducted, the reason why they do get bent out of shape is because of what can sometimes happen to them. What we're missing, however, is the history behind them and what they represent. The first gay pride parade occurred after the Stonewall Riots in 1969. Raids on gay bars were fairly frequent back then and really, that wasn't so long ago. When you have a minority that is basically hidden in the corner, all sorts of abuses can take place and the bumps and bruises may never be seen. When I was younger, I had two gay friends, in separate incidents, show up on my doorstep after being beaten on the streets. We're talking monster size dark bruises, black eyes, broken nose--the whole shebang. It was so shocking to me, as a straight person who even hung out at gay bars, because I never realized that it was actually kind of dangerous to be gay.

I can't blame them, in that light, for wanting people to accept them for who they are. I may disagree about the appropriateness of wearing assless chaps on the street in the midst of a parade because, like I said, that kind of thing isn't helpful. Thing is, in any human group, you're going to get idiots who can't see past the ends of their noses and I'd get just as appalled if it was a straight woman walking down the street wearing some dom get up. However, what I do get is why they would want society to accept them for who they are so that they can hold their loved one's hand without fear of violent retribution from a total stranger.

Is it an agenda when you feel endangered or is it an attempt to try to change things so you can feel a little safer in the world?

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Wrabbit2000

It's been refreshing to occasionally see decent folk from that community agree on threads here, regarding the fact some do go way too far with trying to force everyone to think the same way. It's just a rare thing it seems, to hear that side through all the yelling and demands for this or that.

"decent folk"

strange choice of words!

+3 more 
posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 02:25 PM
link   
WOW, are you guys kidding me? Do you realize how ridiculous you sound? You sound just like the bigots that said women should not be able to vote and that black people should not have rights. They only reason we hear about homosexuals is because they don't have the same civil rights that strait people have had for eons. If they could get married and enjoy the same benefits that we have all had then you would not hear a peep from them. just because they are a minority in a country full of yayhoo's does not deny them to be just as happy or miserable as married straight people. I grew up in Alabama and was raised a southern baptist. I was raised to hate. Logically that just does not make sense to me. I am no longer religious and care not to associate myself with that load of crap. I however do feel that gay marriage should be kept out of the church because with christian beliefs, it has no place there. However, they should be able to marry on a civil level.

Is this who you are? Because that who you sound like.

[IMAGE REMOVED BY STAFF]

edit on 12 20 2013 by SgtHamsandwich because: (no reason given)

edit on Sat Dec 21 2013 by DontTreadOnMe because: Terms and Conditions of Use--Please Review

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 02:28 PM
link   

I have a similar outlook regarding this topic. If people want to be gay, go right ahead, but stop trying to force me to think of it as normal or right, as I don't believe it is either, but that is just me.

Honestly, I don't care a wit what others choose to do with their own love lives, what I do care about is having my life directly affected by it (I.E. like being labeled a racist or homophobe for not thinking that homosexuality is the norm, or is the right way to live).

I know plenty of gay people (I'm related to some), and I don't discriminate against them or try to make them believe what I believe. I simply try to live my life as I see fit, the same as them, and I would like the same treatment (or tolerance, since that is such a popular and misapplied term these days) in return.

Also, I would like for them to leave my kids alone and stop trying to indoctrinate them. They're my kids, and they will be raised as I wish for them to be raised.

edit on 12/20/2013 by ProfessorChaos because: typo

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 02:28 PM
link   
reply to post by SgtHamsandwich

C'mon now! Women can vote?

Since when?

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 02:29 PM
link   

buster2010

Why live your life constantly being identified by your sexuality?

Because people are denied their rights because of their sexuality? Just like women had to fight for their rights in this country. And blacks had to fight for their rights in this country gays are having to fight for their rights in this country.

Fill me in Buster (serious question)....

What "rights" are Gay people being denied?

I am talking about States that allow marriage.

I do realize their are some tax issues, so besides that.

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 02:29 PM
link   
5%?

Not sure I believe that.
5% confirmed and out etc, maybe.
5% of the population liking the same sex, that number seems very low.

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 02:30 PM
link   

I guess you forgot to read my post where I said my Daughter's God Parents are Men. A gay couple....

I find a good cross section of opinions in this thread. Maybe you should go back and reread it.

Des

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 02:31 PM
link   

whyamIhere
This has been bugging me for quite awhile.

I get it. Some people are Gay. I really am happy you can be with who you want.

But, quit shoving it down our throats. You are 5% of the population.

How many gay people are there in the United States? The Williams Institute at the UCLA School of Law, a sexual orientation law and public policy think tank, estimates that 9 million (about 3.8%) of Americans identify as gay, lesbian, bisexual or transgender (2011). The institute also found that bisexuals make up 1.8% of the population, while 1.7% are gay or lesbian. Transgender adults make up 0.3% of the population.

I have always loved my Gay Friends. They are not militant. But this whole LGBT?

Live your life. Why live your life constantly being identified by your sexuality?

I am not speaking about all Gay people. Just the small army of militant Gays.

Stop it......End Rant.
Www.gaylife.about.com

im bisexual, as most would say. but for me, i hate the label and the whole "lgbtq" labels. i like who i like. im stuck in the middle of this gay marriage thing in way, of course itd be amazing if gay people could marry their significant other but at the same time i completely agree with what youre saying. the media and everyone needs to stop making this such a big deal. the only problem is the media wont stop making a big deal until gay marriage isnt a big deal. right now theres so many countries and states, what have you, that are making it legal so its going to be a big topic. but why do we have to make it legal? why is gay marriage something that can even be made illegal in the first place? its not like being a drug dealer or killing someone or stealing. its being in love, it just happens to be with someone of the same sex.
i got into an argument the other day with a kid ive known since i was 3 years old. we grew up in the same town, we went to school together from preschool to 5th grade, we went to the same church, i know his family. hes that big jock guy, the football player, ya know? like emilio estevez in the breakfast club or charlie sheen in lucas. except instead of having a heart of gold like both those characters hes really just a huge asshole. so he had posted something on facebook that turned out to be a fake article. it was a rumor about ja rule cheating on his wife with a man he met in jail. to this, the kid i know, stated "not gonna listen to this guy anymore". simply because he may or may not be gay. now this kid has said some pretty homophobic stuff on facebook before and ive ignored it. but this really got to me because he started to talk about how it was sickening. so i broke the "dont get into facebook fights" rule and started commenting on the link he shared. hes a very religious person---catholic--- and says this is the way he was raised and what he was taught to believe in. even though one time he said something homophobic on facebook before and his own brother was like "what is wrong with you?", so its clearly not something that was brought on by his upbringing. i mean granted i havent seen the guy in almost 10 years because i moved after 5th grade. but im friends with all the kids i used to go to school with on facebook. i watched them grow up over myspace and then facebook. ive seen how they turned out. and he is one of those kids that i pegged when i was still a little kid. hes just one of those guys whos too macho for his own good and i had said to him that he clearly posted that article on there to let all his friends and family know how much of a man he was, because hes that uncomfortable with his own sexuality. thats what it starts to come down to though. i had said to him that gay marriage in no way, shape, or form affects his day to day life. he will still wkae up every morning, he will still work, he will still breathe. its not gonna make the way he drives any different, hes still going to go hang out with his friends and get drunk. it literally has no effect on him whatsoever. but that didnt matter to him. he just wanted to let everyone know that it was gross.
so aside from the whole argument he and i got in hes been posting about this whole phil from duck dynasty thing and its almost like he thinks that hes on the same page with what phil has to say about gay people. but hes so far from it. because phil simply stated that that is how he interprets the bible and thats what he believes and that right there is the difference between what the kid has to say and what phil does because phil couldve been rude about it. he couldve shown his real hillbilly, redneck, racist, homophobic views. but he didnt. he didnt say it was gross or sickening or go on to tell someone that he'll never raise his children that way because its not natural and then disregard them when they say "just because you try to a raise a child a certain way doesnt mean they wont have their own ideologies when it comes to life". he just said this is what the bible says and this is how i see it. it is of course homophobic in the sense that its against gays and gay culture but at the same time he couldve called them all faggots and said they were gonna burn in hell. but phil didnt.
its arguments and views like that that keep the fight for freedom alive and in the media, but whos fight is it? the people wanting gay marriage to become legal or the ones condemning it? you always hear "oh everyones entitled to their own opinion" but when does something like that stop becoming an opinion and start becoming just down right wrong?

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 02:32 PM
link   

You need to lighten up Bro...

Do we get any credit in the quantum leap we have made for acceptance?

Don't try to shame us for discussing this issue.

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 02:34 PM
link   

SgtHamsandwich
WOW, are you guys kidding me? Do you realize how ridiculous you sound? You sound just like the bigots that said women should not be able to vote and that black people should not have rights.

Incorrect. We don't sound anything like Democrats.

Reminder: Susan B Anthony? Republican.

First black congressmen and senators? Republican.

They only reason we hear about homosexuals is because they don't have the same civil rights that strait people have had for eons.

Name one.

Reminder: Marriage is not a right for anyone, it never has been. Ever.

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 02:36 PM
link   

Taggart
5%?

Not sure I believe that.
5% confirmed and out etc, maybe.
5% of the population liking the same sex, that number seems very low.

That is the stat I found online. It may or may not be correct.

It did say it was a very difficult group to count.

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 02:36 PM
link   
reply to post by TheWrightWing

Marriage ought to be reclassified as a religious practice, in the same style as confession and communion. Civil union certifications all the way. Either you pay for the right to be legally recognized as a couple, or you just put on a ring and consider yourself married from that day forward.
edit on 20-12-2013 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

+1 more 
posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Marriage is not a right for anyone, it never has been. Ever.

Actually that isn't true.

Marriage is a legal insitution and effectively a social assistance program provided by the Fed and the State.

It is a legal contract, a service. The government CANNOT exclude anybody from government services if they qualify. The qualifications for marriage are consenting adult of legal age.

As such, the government is DISCRIMINATING against homosexuals by denying them access to a government program, based purely on sexual orientation, which again, is Illegal.

So please do not confuse what 'rights' are being sought after here.

Your argument against it, is emotional and religious, which is simply not good enough, against an argument of legally fair representation and access to services.

~Tenth

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 02:40 PM
link   

AfterInfinity

Marriage ought to be reclassified as a religious practice. Civil union certifications all the way. Either you pay for the right to be legally recognized as a couple, or you just put on a ring and consider yourself married from that day forward.
edit on 20-12-2013 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

You got it right the first time "Marriage ought to be abolished" which is the end goal of the whole "gay marriage rights" movement.

It's an old leftist strategy: The state is your family, thus the traditional family must be phased out in the name of Progress. Hitler knew it, Stalin knew it.

Democrats are brazenly open about this these days.

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 02:42 PM
link   

tothetenthpower

Actually that isn't true.

Marriage is a legal insitution and effectively a social assistance program provided by the Fed and the State.

But not a Right. So, it is true.

Nowhere is the marriage contract a right, it has never been so.

As with all leftist agendas, they are built upon a foundation of untruths.

Someone who refuses to marry you is not violating your civil rights.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join