It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Duck Dynasty's Phil Robertson: The Latest Victim of the PC Police

page: 31
<< 28  29  30    32  33  34 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 11:13 PM
link   
Y'all watch too much TELEVISION. People on ATS are constantly talking about "waking up", and how messed our world is. But, how you gon' wake up and how are things going to be right, when you're glued to the very thing causing you to sleep? Are your lives that friggin' boring, that you have to be "entertained", by scripted "reality tv", with paid actors; who's very lives are controlled? Doesn't ANYONE, out in la-la land, understand what television does to the brain? If so....WHY ARE YOU STILL WATCHING IT?

BTW....what the heck is Duck Dynasty and who is Phil Roberson? No, seriously. I'm soooo outta touch, with this thing you call "reality".

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 11:31 PM
link   
This would be an interesting lawsuit.

posted on Dec, 19 2013 @ 11:51 PM
link   
reply to post by burdman30ott6

Pretty sure the bible says sins are weighed equally as wood and burned on entry into heaven. This means homosexuality, bestiality, adultery, and all other sins are exactly the same under God's judgement.

It is people who try to place values on them.

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 12:01 AM
link   
When I first read the story about this GQ article backlash, I was most bothered by the statements made by GLAAD spokesman Wilson Cruz.

"Phil and his family claim to be Christian, but Phil's lies about an entire community fly in the face of what true Christians believe. . . . Phil's decision to push vile and extreme stereotypes is a stain on A&E and his sponsors who now need to reexamine their ties to someone with such public disdain for LGBT people and families. . . . What's clear is that such hateful anti-gay comments are unacceptable to fans, viewers, and networks alike. By taking quick action and removing Robertson from future filming, A&E has sent a strong message that discrimination is neither a Christian nor an American value."

So GLAAD is now an authority on what true Christians believe? Phil speaks lies? What stereotype? What did he say that was hateful? A&E is now sending the public messages about what is and is not a Christian value?

Also when I read A&E's official statement:

"We are extremely disappointed to have read Phil Robertson’s comments in GQ, which are based on his own personal beliefs and are not reflected in the series Duck Dynasty. His personal views in no way reflect those of A&E Networks, who have always been strong supporters and champions of the LGBT community."

I was like, duh.

Never thought A&E was a Christian network and I don't think it was necessary for the TV network to publicly distinguish its own belief system from that expressed by a reality show star during a magazine interview.

A&E can edit and produce Duck Dynasty however it pleases and this man can express his personal beliefs however he pleases to whoever is listening at the time.

I don't care what A&E's "personal views" are and don't appreciate its effort to control mine.

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 12:02 AM
link   
phil was asked his personal opinion on "SIN" and he rattled off a LIST, only connection they have, is SIN.

like no one would have ever thought his opinion would be something other.

not what was right or wrong in this society or against the law.

A&E will suffer for this, move.

some say it's a stunt for ratings, they don't need more.

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 12:09 AM
link   

mitman93
reply to post by RalagaNarHallas

But that's not true. They fired him based on statements he said in a GQ interview. He SAID something they did not agree with (and didn't want representing them as a company), so they fired him.

It wasn't based directly on his religious beliefs at all.

Besides - In said interview, he compared homosexuals to DRUNKS and TERRORISTS. Imagine if a professional athlete or famous actor said that. Don't you think their contracts would be terminated? Why should this guy get special treatment?
edit on 19-12-2013 by mitman93 because: To add last statement.

edit on 19-12-2013 by mitman93 because: (no reason given)

he didn't compare anything!

holy moly!

they were talking about SIN! like from the bible?

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 12:10 AM
link   

BABYBULL24
Anyone else sick of hearing about gays?

My daughter and granddaughter are gay and all three of us are sick of hearing about gays.

Enough already!

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 12:29 AM
link   

Xcalibur254
reply to post by grey580

First off, A&E hasn't fired him. He has been suspended. Second, their actions are not because of his religious beliefs. Their actions are due to the fact that his words could affect their profits. Are you saying that a company should not be allowed to fire an employee if the actions of said employee directly have a negative impact on the company's success?

yeah well, they aren't as smart as they think they are.

lol, they shot themselves in the foots.

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 12:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Dustytoad

He believes homosexuality is wrong. He didn't say anything hateful. He is allowed to think as he wishes.

We are on a slippery slope now, if a celebrity says, I believe what the bible teaches on homosexuality, and quotes many of the numerous scriptures that condemns it, they can lose there job ?

How far are we away from the bible being branded as hate literature ?

People need to understand that homosexuality is not condemned alone in the bible, if somebody said the same thing about adultery, it would be whatever. I actually believe we as a culture have shifted so much to the point that homosexuality is more OK than adultery today. God standards never change, both had the death penalty under the mosaic law. It is an equal sin to God and both can be just as easily forgiven via the ransom of Jesus. Let people do whatever they want, let them have there rights, but also keep ours too which is the freedom too just say "I think it's wrong".

Read 1 Corinthians 6:9-11

9Do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived! The sexually immoral, idolaters, adulterers, passive homosexual partners, practicing homosexuals, 10thieves, the greedy, drunkards, the verbally abusive, and swindlers will not inherit the kingdom of God. 11Some of you once lived this way. But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God.

So for example the swindlers in big banking and business will have the same fate of homosexuals, and they have the same chance to change too. People opinions on this is either yes I agree with that, or no I don't.
And people who try to only extrapolate the homosexuality out of those verses to be more socially and politically correct in the 21st century make me laugh. And the fundamentalist Christians that do it and go the other way spewing hatred are just as bad.

Bottom line too much focus is put on this one sin by both Christians and non-Christians alike. What about all the others ?
edit on 20-12-2013 by Blue_Jay33 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 12:58 AM
link   
reply to post by XxNightAngelusxX

and i don't like being called an abomination, or unnatural, or a "Sin" or any other derogatory label, but not everyone religious person does, likewise not every republican does, nor every liberal. if you have a problem with the label "Liberal" that is your belief, but you group it all together based on what your supposed to think of Liberal versus republican versus democrat

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 01:06 AM
link   
It is called the pussification of Americans.

Sometimes I feel like were existing on a kindergarten recess break crying for the monitor to make it stop !!!

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 01:08 AM
link   
The bible is hate literature. Read it and you'll see for yourself. Now, the words of Jesus are not hate filled. There's a big difference there. But I digress and get to the other big issue...this scumbag, Phil thinks black people were better off before equal rights? He believes that? What a scumbag.

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 01:13 AM
link   

Restricted
I think suspending him is ridiculous. He expressed an opinion, which one is allowed to do in the United States.

Martin Bashir expressed his opinion and got canned not suspended.
Martin Bashir Resigns From MSNBC Following Sarah Palin Comments
www.huffingtonpost.com...

However it was a horrible comment and he needed to be more professional even when criticizing a well known thoughtless idiot like Sarah Palin,but the bottom line is the bottom line and if companies believe such comments may hurt their bottom line,then they will go the way of Paula Deen.

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 01:28 AM
link   
Reading a bit through this thread brings this to mind: All the people here defending this Phil Robertson spud and criticizing A&E for suspending him, did they also defend Martin Bashir and criticize MSNBC for firing him? How about Alec Baldwin? Just wondering...

As for freedom of speech and all that, this guy is welcome to say whatever he wants, but a company doesn't have to keep him in their employ if they don't care for what he says, particularly when he is a public figure/celebrity of sorts. I'd imagine his contract with A&E would have some stipulation to this effect as well.

Furthermore, it wasn't just what he said about homosexuals, but also what he said about blacks, that was considered offensive and/or patronizing.

But am I surprised that a gun-toting, homophobic, racism-denying red neck getting 86'ed by a cable network for speaking his mind on several controversial topics makes for red meat for a lot of ATSers? Not one bit.

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 01:38 AM
link   

MrInquisitive
Reading a bit through this thread brings this to mind: All the people here defending this Phil Robertson spud and criticizing A&E for suspending him, did they also defend Martin Bashir and criticize MSNBC for firing him? How about Alec Baldwin? Just wondering...

As for freedom of speech and all that, this guy is welcome to say whatever he wants, but a company doesn't have to keep him in their employ if they don't care for what he says, particularly when he is a public figure/celebrity of sorts. I'd imagine his contract with A&E would have some stipulation to this effect as well.

Furthermore, it wasn't just what he said about homosexuals, but also what he said about blacks, that was considered offensive and/or patronizing.

But am I surprised that a gun-toting, homophobic, racism-denying red neck getting 86'ed by a cable network for speaking his mind on several controversial topics makes for red meat for a lot of ATSers? Not one bit.

I never saw Phil say white people should # and piss in ANYONE's mouth. Please do not even compare the two statements. Do you really want to say that? Really? If you read the WHOLE INTERVIEW you will see Phil makes the statement that it is not his place to judge anyone. It is God's. He was asked a question and he answered it. He NEVER said blacks were happier under Jim Crow. The interviewer took his answer and morphed it into that. You can not call him homophobic or racist based on what he actually said. People have twisted what he said and turned it into something entirely different.

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 01:46 AM
link   

I have mixed views about this. Ive seen a few episodes of duck dynasty, and although the antics - particularly si - are funny, they are friggin stupid backwards rednecks. Their views are embarrassing to anyone who lives in the bayou.

And it appears that they have fired back with force: A&E thought they could maintain rapport with the family despite suspending their patriarch. So. Will A&E relent, and give in? Or are their political views more important than the wild success of duck dynasty?

Frankly, a part of me would like to see these guys taken off TV. Seriously. Can you imagine anything more lowbrow? Is this what "arts and entertainment" stands for nowadays? I get that they are funny, and weird, and ignorant - and for some strange reason, although most people disagree with their views, they enjoy watching them.

in any case, their views are BACKWARDS, utterly useless, and should be snubbed by A&E.

Isn't it funny how peoples views change?

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 01:49 AM
link   
Phil has a right to say whatever he wants, just as Ellen does, every single day on her nationally televised show. Ever watch Ellen? All her jokes about straight people? How she enjoys flirting openly with guests who are straight? I've seen it, didn't like, so I don't watch it. I don't care to try and get her off the air though. She can have her platform, if that's what she wants. I think it's hypocritical to tell Phil that he can't have his opinions or views either.

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 01:52 AM
link   

Astrocyte

I have mixed views about this. Ive seen a few episodes of duck dynasty, and although the antics - particularly si - are funny, they are friggin stupid backwards rednecks. Their views are embarrassing to anyone who lives in the bayou.

And it appears that they have fired back with force: A&E thought they could maintain rapport with the family despite suspending their patriarch. So. Will A&E relent, and give in? Or are their political views more important than the wild success of duck dynasty?

Frankly, a part of me would like to see these guys taken off TV. Seriously. Can you imagine anything more lowbrow? Is this what "arts and entertainment" stands for nowadays? I get that they are funny, and weird, and ignorant - and for some strange reason, although most people disagree with their views, they enjoy watching them.

in any case, their views are BACKWARDS, utterly useless, and should be snubbed by A&E.

Isn't it funny how peoples views change?

Then I guess we need to pull off all of the shows which have gay people on them, especially Ellen. Is that right too? I sure do not like Ellen or her views, but at the same time, I don't think she should be punished for who she is and pulled off her show no more than Phil being punished and being taken off his show. This whole this is one big hypocrisy.

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 01:55 AM
link   
I'll tell you why, in point form:

• The literal interpretation of the Bible is nonsensical.
  • A literal interpretation of the Bible is on the wane
  • Society is becoming more tolerant, and thus more integrative
  • By resisting this positive change, fundamentalists will maintain feelings of discord in society

It's really that simple. Is a broken society, a society at war with itself, a healthy society? What do Christians really believe? Do they really believe that the messiah is at the front door? Are they anticipating armageddon? I hope not. But unfortunately, many are. They believe this because, frankly, they are ignorant, and egotistical, and fail to logically assess the facts of history. How many times now have Christian doomsayers been proven wrong? How many more years do we have to tolerate this farce? To pretend that the world is actually going to end?

Why can't they maturely figure out that the writers of these ancient texts - both within the Hebrew and Christian traditions - wrote in allegory? That a philosophy was being discussed? That an "apocalypse" was not a literal end of the physical universe, but the end which occurs to every physical life: every person is a world that reaches an end.

These immature, naive understandings of the bible, if not expurgated, if not expunged from our memory, will continue to weigh down real social progress.

• posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 02:01 AM
    link   
    Freedom of speech is a right; being on TV is not a right.

Phil acted well within his right to speak express his beliefs.

A&E, a private company, acted well within their purview in firing Phil.

Case closed. No controversy.

The DISPROPORTIONATE degree of outrage on the part of the Christian right (I am a Christian) over this blunder vs other, LARGER injustices is staggering.

I mean just ...

Jaw. Dropping.

top topics

<< 28  29  30    32  33  34 >>

join