It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Duck Dynasty's Phil Robertson: The Latest Victim of the PC Police

page: 32
<< 29  30  31    33  34  35 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 02:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Taissa

I never said what A&E did was perfectly justified. Only that I find Duck Dynasty to be seriously low-brow entertainment that i wouldn't mind being seen taken off air.

Also, comparing Ellen to Phil is a little unjustified. Personally, I too disagree with her sexual orientation, but is that disagreement really worth all the social foil that would result from political rebellion? There are priorities here, in life. Where do we want to see our world go? Is the belief that man-woman should go together more important than tackling other, more important social problems, like poverty, bullying, mental illness and materialism?

To me, someone who makes such an issue about sexual orientation is a little bit disorganized. He doesn't have a mature sense of priorities.

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 02:21 AM
link   

Astrocyte
I'll tell you why, in point form:

• The literal interpretation of the Bible is nonsensical.
  • A literal interpretation of the Bible is on the wane
  • Society is becoming more tolerant, and thus more integrative
  • By resisting this positive change, fundamentalists will maintain feelings of discord in society

It's really that simple. Is a broken society, a society at war with itself, a healthy society? What do Christians really believe? Do they really believe that the messiah is at the front door? Are they anticipating armageddon? I hope not. But unfortunately, many are. They believe this because, frankly, they are ignorant, and egotistical, and fail to logically assess the facts of history. How many times now have Christian doomsayers been proven wrong? How many more years do we have to tolerate this farce? To pretend that the world is actually going to end?

Why can't they maturely figure out that the writers of these ancient texts - both within the Hebrew and Christian traditions - wrote in allegory? That a philosophy was being discussed? That an "apocalypse" was not a literal end of the physical universe, but the end which occurs to every physical life: every person is a world that reaches an end.

These immature, naive understandings of the bible, if not expurgated, if not expunged from our memory, will continue to weigh down real social progress.

• Great post my friend.

I'd have to agree. And to add on a bit, Christians tend to play victim whenever they are brought up. But I won't throw all of them under the bus. Since most people in general tend to be pretty ignorant, and don't really make very good arguments. And don't really do much research.

And this isn't even a story that should have been blown up to such a proportion. A few hours ago, while on Facebook, I saw not one, but two Facebook pages with 500,000+ likes pertaining to Phil. And it's been, what a day now? Really over a trivial matter like this? Jeez, why can't our society make pages that blow up like that on topics that aren't sensationalized to rile up the public, and actually effect people on a large scale?

And I also have to say that it does seem like the Christian teachings in some aspects are gradually losing it's steam. People are beginning to get fed up with the same regurgitated principles over and over that are pretty much set in stone. As a society, we need to progress and evolve, and we cannot hold onto ancient teachings and philosophies forever. These teachings, not only from Christianity, but any other teachings will help guide us along a new and more modern path. It's just like science, one scientist discovers something, and future scientists then go on and carry out the same field work and find even more things. The ball just keeps on moving forward. As we humans have been going forward, we have been learning many new things, and we need to take a step back and reevaluate once in awhile. But just keeping our mind set stuck at the period of about 0-500 A.D. or even farther, isn't really going to get us anywhere. We need to move on, and learn and add on to the things that we have been told by all of our ancestors around the world. It will be for the betterment of our species on many levels.
    edit on 20-12-2013 by Lingweenie because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 02:41 AM
    link   
    I think A & E has a right to place Phil Robertson on hiatus from filming.

This isn't my personal legal interpretation, but in my opinion of what is fair, this should not be considered a free speech violation as A & E isn't directly restricting his speech, they've simply decided to make a change in their business arrangement. If this violates whatever contract they have, that's a different story..but ideally, any business should be able to ostracize or terminate an employee in this way.

To use an extreme example, Imagine you're a boss of a company and one of the employees is repeatedly saying hurtful things to and about your daughter online on fb, etc..You should be free to can him because his written words have caused you to decide that you no longer want to employ him. A business arrangement like this should be voluntary on both sides...Just like an employee should be free to quit if he has a problem with the boss, it should go the other way.
    Again, this isn't what I think would hold up in a court of law, especially when all the headache-inducing complications of a contractual agreement come into play, but this is what I believe to be a fair approach.

p.s. It should go without saying that there is zero significance or cause for concern regarding what Phil said, regardless of what the actions of A & E or the major media outlets // Professional Manipulators of Mass Consciousness would have you believe.

It's embarrassing to watch those that try to point, draw attention and make an issue out words..WORDS!!. It's like a young, immature child melodramatically acting shocked and giggling during sex ed class or getting giddy about a fart noise.

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 03:22 AM
    link   
    reply to post by Jedimind

I totally agree with you.

A&E was simply trying to protect their corporate interests. If they lose viewers, they lose sponsors. If they lose sponsors, they lose money ... and eventually their station.

I'm gay. I'm not offended. I hear that s**t every day. I'm not hyper-sensitive like the rest of the LGBT crowd. That's right. I said it. If they could find a way to sue the weather for being anti-gay, they wou,d.

That being said, coming from a group that has declared war on everything, from muslims to jews to gays to ... other christians, calling this a "war on christianity" is both hypocritical and childish.

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 03:24 AM
    link   
    "If you want to know who is in power, find out who you are not allowed to criticize" - Voltaire

Back in the day, when they found out you're a homosexual, you lost your job. Today, when they find out you're anti-homosexual, you lose your job. Despotism has jumped from the right to the left in the new Century. The Pendulum is now on the other side, as the victim slowly turns into perpetrator and the perpetrator slowly becomes the victim. Homosexuals are awakening from a slumber of many centuries where they were oppressed, beaten, abused, ridiculed...and boy are they pissed off. Brace yourselves Christians, for their rage is ancient.

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 03:34 AM
    link   
    I do think it's fair to compare Phil and Ellen, as they are both the antithesis of one another. Each person is respected for their beliefs, values, and lifestyle by their target audiences. I too don't care so much for Ellen's behavior on her show, but at the same time I don't have a burning need to get her fired. Same for Phil, I don't agree with him necessarily but see no reason why he doesn't get to have his show when Ellen does. Ellen can be quite gross at times, seriously. But we're all told to put up with it and change the channel. If you don't like Phil and his kind, then change the channel.

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 03:41 AM
    link   
    reply to post by Skyfloating

Hell hath no fury hunty!

anyway, as other people have stated. He had the right to say and believe what he wants, and the company has the right to fire him, you can applaud either side, but it is just further dividing people into groups

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 03:47 AM
    link   
    I think that people are missing the point. He was suspended because he interfered with the Networks ability to earn money. He is allowed to offend anyone that he wants. So are you. But if the people that you work for find that it may cost them money..then be prepared for a backlash.

People have discovered that we have no real power anymore. Does it really make any difference who we elect?

The only power remaining to the citizen is the power we hold as consumer. People have exercised their power as consumers as it has worked. A&E did a preemptive strike for fear of a backlash from those consumers that may stop buying the products of the advertisers..thus the advertisers will drop the show.

You think that America is full of hot chocolate drinking pansies? Then exercise your right as a consumer(the last remaining power that you have) and do a consumer protest until he is reinstated.

Get off of you butt and do something and stop complaining here how YOUR America has given way to pansies. You are the one that is doing nothing about it.

If all you see pansies perhaps you should stop looking in the mirror.

Peace

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 04:03 AM
    link   
    reply to post by spav5

Wait ... what's wrong with drinking hot chocolate?

I've been saying this for a while: stop depending on the government. If you want it done, YOU have to make it happen ... because the idiots in Washington are not representing you, no matter what you believe.

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 04:03 AM
    link   
    You gotta laugh. We have become a country where anyone and everyone is free to "be who they want to be" and express themselves freely. Gay parades, marches of illegals, so-and-so pride, etc. But if you belong to a group that is either white, straight or religious...or worse yet, all three...you are persecuted. Your voice is NOT free, you can not march, you can not throw a parade and you DO NOT have freedom of religion.

When compared to the "normal", we are supposed to accept people who dress differently, act differently, look different, speak different, have different views and on, and on, and on. And that by itself is a good way to live. But why don't those people have to do the same for the "normal" people? And by "normal" I mean the majority when you are discussing a particular difference.

If you have a problem with someone's race, or sexual orientation or beliefs...YOU ARE A BIGOT! If you have a problem with my being white, being straight and believing in God...then YOU TOO, ARE A BIGOT!

A little test for you here. If I, a white male says "Illegals should be sent home", are you one of the people that would call me a bigot? Now...if a mexican-american says the same thing...what do you call him??? I happen to have a mexican-american friend that feels that way. What do you call my friend?

I know lots of other people too. I know a 70+ year old black man who is embarrassed by the actions of many black people. I know a few gay people who think that other gay people sticking their orientation in your face is wrong. And I know white people who think racists are idiots...including me.

So I guess the point I'm trying to make is this. Its called EQUAL RIGHTS...not special rights. Just because I dislike you for being an obnoxious idiot doesn't make me, or others like me a bigot. You just might be an obnoxious idiot despite the fact that you may also be black, illegal, gay or whatever. Contrary to popular belief, you can still be an idiot, stupid, obnoxious, a low-life, etc. if you are black, illegal, gay, etc. Its not BECAUSE you are black, illegal, gay, etc. that you are an idiot...you are just an idiot that happens to be black, illegal, gay, etc. Much like all the white, straight, religious people who can be idiots also. See the difference?

Everyone needs to get over themselves. You are not special...you are just another one of us morons trying to make it through life. Every violent crime is a hate crime, and every single time that another person, directly or indirectly takes away your GOD GIVEN RIGHT to speak freely or be yourself (legally)...they become the problem. They become the oppressor and THEY become the BIGOT.
    edit on 12/20/2013 by WeAreAWAKE because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 04:07 AM
    link   
    reply to post by scolai

It was in response to someone saying that we have turned into hot chocolate drinking pansies. I am not certain what that means. But that person got a bejillion stars for what I thought was total nonsense.

Peace

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 04:11 AM
    link   
    reply to post by WeAreAWAKE

Oh no ... the christians are being persecuted! Whatever will we do? I mean christians are constantly being killed, beaten, bullied for their beliefs to the point of suicide, and denied rights to equality because of their beliefs, right?

No. That's not the christians. Who was that?

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 04:17 AM
    link   
    reply to post by burdman30ott6

It's only a matter of time before if you stated what Phil said, you will be found to be a Christian and executed for it.

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 04:22 AM
    link   

Oh please. Let us know when straight marriage is controversial, when gay on straight violence becomes a trending crime, when straight becomes an insult.

Phil can criticize who he wants, his liberty isn't under threat. This outrage over political correctness is really nothing more than typical tantrums of the spoiled Right who by virtue of privilege think they are the only ones who can say what they want and that retort is just being a big old PC crybaby.

Seems you guys are the ones saying that no one can criticize your criticisms. Seems you guys are the ones saying that a corporation can do anything they want unless it's coming out in defense (genuine or not) of a minority, that they can hire or fire anyone they want unless they're firing someone for being a bigot.

The straight white male is still holding the pendulum but the grip is slipping. Most of you are just having meltdowns on the sidelines because you think that pendulum belongs to you and can be held forever.

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 04:23 AM
    link   

Astrocyte
    reply to post by Taissa

I never said what A&E did was perfectly justified. Only that I find Duck Dynasty to be seriously low-brow entertainment that i wouldn't mind being seen taken off air.

Also, comparing Ellen to Phil is a little unjustified. Personally, I too disagree with her sexual orientation, but is that disagreement really worth all the social foil that would result from political rebellion? There are priorities here, in life. Where do we want to see our world go? Is the belief that man-woman should go together more important than tackling other, more important social problems, like poverty, bullying, mental illness and materialism?

To me, someone who makes such an issue about sexual orientation is a little bit disorganized. He doesn't have a mature sense of priorities.

ya, as is seeing a tv program, you don't watch, taken away from millions of other people.
    is dat right?

phil was quoting from a book a couple 3 thousand yrs old, ya think he will quote from his barber, like all you other people?

where do you people get your talking points, i say that because ya'll have no basis in anything.

and he wasn't asked about bullying, was he?

maybe GQ should have asked him about that, eh?

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 04:27 AM
    link   

Kali74

Oh please. Let us know when straight marriage is controversial, when gay on straight violence becomes a trending crime, when straight becomes an insult.

Phil can criticize who he wants, his liberty isn't under threat. This outrage over political correctness is really nothing more than typical tantrums of the spoiled Right who by virtue of privilege think they are the only ones who can say what they want and that retort is just being a big old PC crybaby.

Seems you guys are the ones saying that no one can criticize your criticisms. Seems you guys are the ones saying that a corporation can do anything they want unless it's coming out in defense (genuine or not) of a minority, that they can hire or fire anyone they want unless they're firing someone for being a bigot.

The straight white male is still holding the pendulum but the grip is slipping. Most of you are just having meltdowns on the sidelines because you think that pendulum belongs to you and can be held forever.

looking for mr. goodbar.

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 04:57 AM
    link   
    nvm
    edit on 20-12-2013 by Skyfloating because: not in the mood for this madness

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 05:11 AM
    link   

Kali74

That's not accurate. They are about the only ones these days that cant say what they want without repercussions. We don't need another censured class of folk.

We see those really spoiled these days.

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 05:13 AM
    link   

WeAreAWAKE
    You gotta laugh. We have become a country where anyone and everyone is free to "be who they want to be" and express themselves freely. Gay parades, marches of illegals, so-and-so pride, etc. But if you belong to a group that is either white, straight or religious...or worse yet, all three...you are persecuted. Your voice is NOT free, you can not march, you can not throw a parade and you DO NOT have freedom of religion.

When compared to the "normal", we are supposed to accept people who dress differently, act differently, look different, speak different, have different views and on, and on, and on. And that by itself is a good way to live. But why don't those people have to do the same for the "normal" people? And by "normal" I mean the majority when you are discussing a particular difference.

If you have a problem with someone's race, or sexual orientation or beliefs...YOU ARE A BIGOT! If you have a problem with my being white, being straight and believing in God...then YOU TOO, ARE A BIGOT!

A little test for you here. If I, a white male says "Illegals should be sent home", are you one of the people that would call me a bigot? Now...if a mexican-american says the same thing...what do you call him??? I happen to have a mexican-american friend that feels that way. What do you call my friend?

I know lots of other people too. I know a 70+ year old black man who is embarrassed by the actions of many black people. I know a few gay people who think that other gay people sticking their orientation in your face is wrong. And I know white people who think racists are idiots...including me.

So I guess the point I'm trying to make is this. Its called EQUAL RIGHTS...not special rights. Just because I dislike you for being an obnoxious idiot doesn't make me, or others like me a bigot. You just might be an obnoxious idiot despite the fact that you may also be black, illegal, gay or whatever. Contrary to popular belief, you can still be an idiot, stupid, obnoxious, a low-life, etc. if you are black, illegal, gay, etc. Its not BECAUSE you are black, illegal, gay, etc. that you are an idiot...you are just an idiot that happens to be black, illegal, gay, etc. Much like all the white, straight, religious people who can be idiots also. See the difference?

Everyone needs to get over themselves. You are not special...you are just another one of us morons trying to make it through life. Every violent crime is a hate crime, and every single time that another person, directly or indirectly takes away your GOD GIVEN RIGHT to speak freely or be yourself (legally)...they become the problem. They become the oppressor and THEY become the BIGOT.
    edit on 12/20/2013 by WeAreAWAKE because: (no reason given)

nice post.

star.

i feel these people are squeezing and marginalizing me and others like me and phil.

society works faster than gov and they don't care if they become the bigots.

pc won't end well.

posted on Dec, 20 2013 @ 05:20 AM
    link   
    Divide and conquer, seems to be working as usual. Meanwhile the powers that be are doing some stuff they really don't want you to see...

top topics

<< 29  30  31    33  34  35 >>

join