It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Volcano Watch 2014

page: 20
<< 17  18  19    21  22  23 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2014 @ 10:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Doodle19815
i have been away all day, and missed it!

i can't get that livefromiceland web cam to open on Firefox, its always the same picture of some rocks, just tried it on Chrome, at least the player opens both cams were completely black 3pm NZST.

IMO are saying
Warning
A fissure eruption has started north of Dynjujökull.

but where? at the Holuhraun lava field? where the most recent earthquakes have been at?
I guess so if it was further north than that it would be Askja itself

Why no more info from IMO, surely they would have some experts on night shift to keep an eye on such situations?

atlas.lmi.is...
use the drop down list top right and select "Atlaskort", thats the most accurate map of the area, shows the extent of the Holuhraun lava field

posted on Aug, 28 2014 @ 10:27 PM
link   
This was at 9:12 pm MST
Cam 2 Bardarbunga

It seemed to die out then resurged into that.
it is 3:28 AM
Dawn is at 6:01 thier time.

So it is more or less 3 hours until we have good daylight there.

ETA they say the fissure is about 1km long.
M.

New break out on cam1

edit on 28-8-2014 by Moshpet because: (no reason given)

9:39pm MST
edit on 28-8-2014 by Moshpet because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2014 @ 10:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Moshpet

I think that was some type of vehicle it was moving slowly accross the image for a while now it's gone

posted on Aug, 28 2014 @ 10:48 PM
link   
a reply to: BGTM90

Brave souls if so!
3 hours... not sure I can last that long for day light

posted on Aug, 28 2014 @ 10:50 PM
link   
From USGS
M5.0 - 108km WNW of Hofn, Iceland
2014-08-28 08:13:43 UTC

If Bardarbunga is 74km NNW from Hofn, and IF this EQ is the one associated with the eruption, then where would the flaming fissure be exactly?

Sunrise is at 6:01 but forecast is for rain for the next three days. This is one time I really hope the forecasters are wrong. It's bad enough that it erupts at nighttime, but if rain obstructs the webcam views in daylight, oh boy how frustrating would that be?
edit on 28-8-2014 by aboutface because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2014 @ 10:57 PM
link   

I had some awesome screenshots of that new rupture and the weird ball of light/lava that went off the screen.
I was making an animation of it and the damn power flickers and my computer crashed.

*shakes fist at the sky godz*

Now I gotta wait until someone else posts it.
Almost looked like a ufo/ball of light that split into two.

OMG I am so mad !!

LOL!

yeah, it was probably what everyone has been referring to on the live cam chat as "van guy".
I guess he was working on the cams or something the other day.

or a UFO...

whichever.

edit on 28-8-2014 by Darkblade71 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2014 @ 11:18 PM
link   

OK I've got something, is this the same views as yours?,
Bunga2

and Bunga1

4:15am UTC

geez it takes forever for the images to appear!
quality varies each time you swap between cameras
might have solved that problem, a camera each in separate tabs that way don't have to switch between them
gone black again
how often do they update?
edit on 0800000023923914 by muzzy because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2014 @ 11:53 PM
link   
a reply to: muzzy

nice catch,,,

looksa like u might have other worries
heads up

Event into space in New Zealand on Friday, 29 August, 2014 at 00:08

A spectacular low-flying meteor-like object was spotted off the west coast of New Zealand last night. Multiple calls were made to police stations throughout the country about 6.30pm about a bright light in the sky, police said. "Varying colours were given.

hisz.rsoe.hu...

posted on Aug, 28 2014 @ 11:59 PM
link   
we have colour (daylight)

4:55am UTC

posted on Aug, 29 2014 @ 12:04 AM
link   
a reply to: BobAthome

cool
was watching the TV News at the time but wouldn't have seen it even if the curtains were open.

posted on Aug, 29 2014 @ 12:29 AM
link   
I came across this most astounding photo of volcanic lightning taken by Sigurdur Stefnisson in 2010 at the Eyjafjallajökull eruption. I am in total awe.

posted on Aug, 29 2014 @ 12:47 AM
link   
well im back and ready for research action.

here is what i found so far and im sorry if its been posted already. ya all can sue me later ..

www.jonfr.com...

This is a short update on Askja and Bárðarbunga volcanoes. This information is going to get outdated quickly. I am not going to use pictures from now on (in most cases), since the situation now is complex and is going to go more complex as this goes on.

a pdf file on the volcano in question dated aug 25,2014
en.vedur.is...

Summary: The Bárðarbunga volcanic system has been highly active in the Holocene with at least 26 eruptions in
the last 11 centuries. The last eruption took place in 1910 CE. The Bárðarbunga system lies on the Eastern
Volcanic Zone and is about 190 km long and up to 25 km wide, consisting of a central volcano rising to 2009 m
a.s.l. and a fissure swarm partly covered by the Vatnajökull ice cap. The central volcano has an 80 km2 ice-filled
caldera. The characteristic activity is explosive basaltic eruptions occurring on central volcano flanks or the
fissure swarm. Known eruptions have mostly been VEI 3-4 but occasionally VEI 5-6 (bulk volume of tephra up
to 10 km3
). The largest eruptions occurred in the early Holocene, effusive basaltic eruptions on the fissure swarm
with lava volumes ≥20 km3
. Eruption frequency during the last 1100 years is 1 eruption per 50 years on average.
Eruptions on the ice covered part of the system have the potential to cause major floods in several rivers flowing
southwards and northwards from the Vatnajökull ice cap.

according to the first source we may end up with two eruptions at the same time or close to the same time ... their keeping a very close eye on both askja and Bárðarbunga

and it could go on for months .. as some are predicting.
edit on 29/8/14 by alysha.angel because: (no reason given)

edit on 29/8/14 by alysha.angel because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2014 @ 01:23 AM
link   

Lava eruption has begun in Holuhraun, north of Dyngjujökull. The Met office confirms that and webcams in the area show that lava is braking it´s way up on the surface.

First news from the Civil Protection in Iceland tell us that the Lava is making it´s way up on the surface in a 400m long area north of Dyngjujökull.

The eruption is located on an ice-free zone which tells us that no ice is being melted so far causing floods in rivers in the north of Iceland. „This is probably located on the north end of the lava tunnel that moves from under Dyngjujökull. The eruption is located on an ice-free zone“ says Rögnvaldur Ólafsson from the Civil protection in Iceland.

„The eruption is not a big one, but we urge people to be safe and not go to near the eruption,“ says Rögnvaldur. „There are chances of explosions.“

source and film feed
www.visir.is...
edit on 29-8-2014 by zazzafrazz because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2014 @ 01:25 AM
link   
a reply to: alysha.angel

I don't think that one has been posted yet.

My thoughts
I don't think that an eruption at Askja would have the same outcome for airtrafic as during the Eyja eruption in 2010. I see it more being like the Grimvotn's eruption that happened in 2011. Short and very explosive eruption (3-5 days) and not the very long 36 days Exja eruption. You also need a very specific composition for the ash cloud to have air trafic grounded.
But as I said, my thoughts.

posted on Aug, 29 2014 @ 03:05 AM
link   

right click, "view image" for larger version

this is a sectional graph SW to NE along the track of the 2882 earthquakes since August 16th to end of 28th, it is based on depth versus lattitude, not location, except that it is within the confines of the latitudes shown and a band with of approx. 50km across NW-SE
I see 3 sections or vaults
I also see Askja as something different happening there altogether
I don't think the two volcanos will join by the dike as some punters are speculating
I think thats a Red Herring
or maybe a Cod ( as in codswallop)

posted on Aug, 29 2014 @ 05:29 AM
link   
Mila webcams seems to be down, server not found. This type of eruption could go for months, as there is lot of magma under the surface. Seems like it isn't explosive eruption, maybe Hawaii-type. Looking forward for more information. The earthquake activity has stayed same regardless the eruption, it didn't ease the pressure at all.

posted on Aug, 29 2014 @ 05:35 AM
link   

Fissure eruption in Holuhraun lava field

A fissure eruption started around midnight in the Holuhraun lavafield, ca. 9 kilometers north of Dyngjujokull glacier. Lava streams out of a 100 meter long fissure, in the northern part of the lava field, about 15 kilometers south of the Askja caldera. IMO has issued a red alert for aviation

The eruption seems to have started near the northern end of the magma intrusion that has been propagating northward from the Bardarbunga caldera since August 16.

Small surface crevasses were seen in the Holuhraun lava field yesterday, leading to increased interest among scientists. The possibility of an eruption migrating southwards, towards the Dyngjujokull glacier cannot be excluded at this time.
RUV

Video of the eruption
edit on 29-8-2014 by Thebel because: Added video of the eruption

posted on Aug, 29 2014 @ 07:02 AM
link   
Cute video on how to pronounce the places we are looking at.

posted on Aug, 29 2014 @ 07:48 AM
link   
Another Mag 5.2 near Bardarbunga.

IMO also have it:

Friday
29.08.2014 12:21:46 64.683 -17.430 9.2 km 5.2 99.0 6.6 km NE of Bárðarbunga
source

posted on Aug, 29 2014 @ 07:50 AM
link   
Strong activity in Bárðarbunga caldera, first 4,8 magnitude, then 5,2 magnitude. And aviation alert level has been downgraded to orange again. I guess they are expecting eruption to calm down, but I think the situation is still very unpredictable. Bárðarbunga still has high changes for eruption, Askja too.

top topics

<< 17  18  19    21  22  23 >>

join