It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

5th Grader Suspended for Imaginary Weapon.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 11 2013 @ 11:55 AM
link   
reply to post by catfishjoe

Hell, I shoot my imaginary bow and arrow whenever I see a Deer or Rabbit run by and I'm 37.(when I'm not really hunting, of course). I even make the *thoooop sound.

posted on Dec, 11 2013 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Is this story substantiated? It looks like a blog entry with no actual follow ups or links, etc.

It doesnt really matter, the fact that none of us (myself included) would doubt such a story for a fraction of a second tells the whole tale.

Education needs reform, and it is shaped by the society it resides within.

How can we change educations many woes? I know its easiest to complain, but actual solutions to work towards might help ALL of us focus our intent and energy into actual fixing the problems at hand. And, imo, the issues with education do not stop at punishment doled out for idiotic things.

I have my own ideas, which I have posted, but perhaps it would actually receive responses in a thread highlighting one of the many issues that plague US education.

posted on Dec, 11 2013 @ 11:59 AM
link   
They need to bring back paddling.

I went through every grade without once doing anything that would get me in enough trouble to get paddled.
That is only because I feared the Principal, coaches, and some teachers, all who had authority to whip my butt when needed.

I know people don't believe in that kind of thing anymore, but it works. The ones who got paddled deserved what they got. It was a good deterrent against doing whatever they did wrong again.

Kids now have ISS (In School Suspension). They do something wrong after 4 or 5 times they get 1 day in ISS. ISS consist of setting in a classroom all day and doing your work. Wow! That was called school when I was that age.
edit on 11-12-2013 by Daz3d-n-Confus3d because: Spelling...as usual

posted on Dec, 11 2013 @ 12:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Daz3d-n-Confus3d

lol

The Paddle, it worked for me. Plus my principal was a huge 6'8" former football player and he knew how to scare the crap out of you. I deserved it when I got it, and afterward I was a good boy to be sure. haha
edit on 11-12-2013 by snowen20 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2013 @ 12:07 PM
link   

macman
reply to post by rickymouse

Not going and not nuts.

They are Progressives. Plain and simple.

It has to do with controlling the masses.

No, it's not "progressives" at all, it's the overzealous application by idiots of "Zero Tolerance" policies that became popular in the 90's.

The origins of "Zero Tolerance" can be traced back to this 1982 article in The Atlantic in which George L. Kelling and James Q. Wilson presented their Broken Windows Theory. Both of these men are/were conservatives--as a matter of fact Wilson is a former chairman of the Council of Academic Advisors of the American Enterprise Institute for Public Policy Research, a conservative think tank.

We'll never fix problems like these as long as their are people who think that every problem is a partisan issue. Nobody on the right or the left could defend this nonsense.

edit on 11-12-2013 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2013 @ 12:10 PM
link   

KawRider9

Hell, I shoot my imaginary bow and arrow whenever I see a Deer or Rabbit run by and I'm 37.(when I'm not really hunting, of course). I even make the *thoooop sound.

Glad I'm not the only one....tho i make pump shotgun sounds.

posted on Dec, 11 2013 @ 12:10 PM
link   

ispyed

rickymouse
Am I alone or does anyone else think that many of the teachers and principals are going nuts?

Its the zero tolerance thats the problem. No flexibility.

I'm zero tolerant of zero tolerance.

Integrity.. Oppose BS rules/Laws..

That IS integrity.

Yet, most that have it would not work for the Govt, for it is the beast.

posted on Dec, 11 2013 @ 12:11 PM
link   
15 years ago when I was that age we used to go into the woods at play time take sticks and beat and stab each other with them for laughs and that was the UK!
edit on 11-12-2013 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

edit on 11-12-2013 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2013 @ 12:13 PM
link   
I will take care of this!!!!!!!!!!

::Imagines a nuclear weapon::

There, they are all gone.

You're welcome.

posted on Dec, 11 2013 @ 12:20 PM
link   

My fake shotgun comes out for Geese,Ducks and Doves.

*Mmmmmm, bacon wrapped Dove breasts on the grill.

posted on Dec, 11 2013 @ 12:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Serdgiam

Is this story substantiated? It looks like a blog entry with no actual follow ups or links, etc.

Here you go:

Rutherford Institute Defends 10-Year-Old Suspended for Shooting Imaginary Arrow, Threatened with Expulsion Under Weapons Policy

posted on Dec, 11 2013 @ 12:31 PM
link   
CSB: in about the eighth grade, we were issued dissection kits for the first time. Within less than a minute, I'd taken the big rubber band off the case, spread the forceps into a sort of slingshot frame, put the band on, split the handle on the probe with the scalpel, put a piece of cardboard in the split for a feather, and shot the probe into the blackboard with a loud thwock.

The teacher never looked backwards. "Tom, I presume that was you, off to the office, please." I received my two beatings and that was the end of my scholastic archery career.

Today I'd probably be doing hard time before high school.

posted on Dec, 11 2013 @ 12:31 PM
link   

theantediluvian

Johnny responded by taking his pencil and mimicking a bow and arrow at his friend, and that's when a girl in his class noticed the play and reported it to their teacher, Whitehead said.

UGH. Makes me think of kids turning in their parents to the Thought Police.

Any public area that is frequented by a lot of people have posters telling you to report ANYTHING suspicious to authorities. Nothing new, remember the old tv show, America's Most Wanted? Before that, snitch on the Commie. Invisible commies have become invisible terrorists. Freedom. That's why "they" hate us...

posted on Dec, 11 2013 @ 12:32 PM
link   
reply to post by adjensen

Thank ya!

Like I said, doesnt really matter in the end though. This sort of thing is pretty commonplace it seems.

Most important part, imo, is to discuss and take action on feasible solutions to a multi-faceted issue. Though, I am aware how adverse the general population is to such things. Doesnt mean I will shut up about it.

So, what are some of your ideas?

posted on Dec, 11 2013 @ 12:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Serdgiam

So, what are some of your ideas?

I think that American society is spiraling out of control, and stuff like this is just a symptom of an underlying cultural rot.

posted on Dec, 11 2013 @ 12:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Daz3d-n-Confus3d

I remember those days, we feared the paddle. Teachers had everyones attention and there was very little disrespect. Say what you want but it worked, right up until the liberals took over the teachers unions and the education system.

We vote for schoolboard members. I would vote for anyone standing on the Anti P.C. platform. It starts there. I know they try to sway those type elections around here by having them held alone, hopeing no one shows up except teachers and district employees, because its a "minor" election.
Vote, its still the best weapon us nobodies have.

posted on Dec, 11 2013 @ 12:43 PM
link   
reply to post by the owlbear

What is causing this problems is that the parents are spoiling their kids since they can't spend time with them. This is happening in big numbers since the middle class is growing. These kids do not respect anything they get anymore, they got used to having everything they wanted. They feel they are entitled to more and more.

When a child is no longer satisfied with things than there are two ways they can go. They revolt if they get restricted or they will do anything to get what they want. There has always been spoiled kids in school, it is that the numbers are increasing. The teachers are getting used to the spoiled kids as normal kids because they are dominating the classes. Teachers may think normal kids are not normal nowadays, not realizing they themselves were spoiled when they were a kid so they can't comprehend anything different.

Spoiled kids is becoming the new norm in society, you cannot give a kid everything they want or their wants become needs.

Teachers have it hard nowadays, but the whole system of society has gone astray. I know a few teachers, they are good people but their job is getting harder because the people on top require certain test results. They cannot teach kids to think anymore except for what the department of education allows. This is forced conditioning. The new dietary requirements of lunches in school is going to hurt some kids a lot in their grades. You burn a lot of energy when thinking hard.
edit on 11-12-2013 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2013 @ 12:44 PM
link   
Geez. I've said it before in similar threads; I'm so glad my wife and I are in a position to provide private school for our kids. I know private schools aren't perfect, but there has been none of this "zero tolerance" nonsense going on. For the most part, they let the kids be kids.

posted on Dec, 11 2013 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Long ago there was this really great B&W movie called "If I Had a Million", which was a collection of short themes. One involved WC Fields buying dozens of junk cars and ramming people who drove like idiots.

If I won the lottery, I think I'd spend some of it striking terror in the hearts of school administrators. You like zero tolerance? Better be pure as the driven snow, or my dozens of PIs will be publishing every affair and pilfered school supply you have. And we'll be spending lots of money to put you on the street next election. Do that a few times, make it clear that stupid carries the price of you losing your job, pretty soon you'd see this correct itself. Speaking unemployment to petty power, as it were.

posted on Dec, 11 2013 @ 12:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Bedlam

The problem is that teachers think they have to report all these things. They have been programmed from above to do this. If someone does this kind of punishment, the other teachers are afraid to say anything about it. It will become the new norm shortly. The paranoid people are taking over the country
edit on 11-12-2013 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join