It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Shock Report: American Taxpayers Paid $500 For A Gallon of Diesel In Afghanistan

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 22 2013 @ 08:25 PM
link   
Evening,

Yep, you read that right.
War is not only the most profitable business on the planet...it's the most crooked.
While troops protect the opium crops, theft and criminality are rife in the military heirarchy as hundreds of millions of dollars in equipment & parts go unaccounted for and those totals don't even include missing ordinance & weapons.
The inspector John Sopko says he has done his job so well it's hard to believe he's been allowed to keep it.
Even the Afghan National Army isn't keeping accurate records because the the spigot in Washington is shooting out money like a firehose.
This is just one country where the U.S. has a presence.
How many other bases in how many other countries is something like this also happening?
How many bases is that worldwide?
Seven hundred...more?
Can you even imagine the scope of the fraud that going on in the name of the nation's defence?
Why are people not going to prison over this?
Why is no one talking about this?
Does anyone care what this makes the military look like at a time when confidence is at an all time low?
$500 for a gallon of gas when the median price is $5?
Correct me if I'm wrong but don't they still shoot people for monkey shines like this?
Independant Contractors prefered and owned by governments insiders swooping in...then taking the money and running on the taxpayers expense.
I guess it's true what they say:

"Out of Sight...Out of Mind"

theweek.com...

-Peace-
edit on 22-11-2013 by Eryiedes because: Typo

posted on Nov, 22 2013 @ 09:47 PM
link   
A good part of those missing Trillions from the Pentagon might be found there.
It's a disgusting racket where the private suppliers get insane profit write up then they loose, sell, abuse things to generate more orders for parts. Why pay $2,000 for a thermostat you can charge $200,000 for?
Why finishing building hospitals when they pay you costs as you plus percentage?
Much of it is no-bid contracts doled out to political friends.

Everybody in America could be living comfortably for what we've spent overseas on this insanity.
edit on 22-11-2013 by Asktheanimals because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 02:42 AM
link   
Not to condone the billions wasted by the Pentagon but fuel in Afghanistan is inherently pricey due to the fact it is shipped from CONUS to a landlocked country on the other side of the planet. Also expenditures in such an isolated place will always be exorbitant especially a warzone. Most bases have much tighter controls on inventory as they are not shipping supplies and/or weapons all over any given country. Still yes they waste phenomenal amounts of money.
I have no citations but I read somewhere the US military consumes more fuel in one year than the entire continent of Africa.

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 07:39 AM
link   
I think this includes the shipping costs. To get that gallon into Afghanistan it has to follow a very circuitious and incredibly dangerous route, requiring armed guards and convoys.

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 01:52 PM
link   
They pay market rates for the fuel. What costs is getting in theatre and to the troops and it's $400, not $500.

online.wsj.com...

Eryiedes
Evening,

War is not only the most profitable business on the planet...it's the most crooked.
While troops protect the opium crops, theft and criminality are rife in the military heirarchy as hundreds of millions of dollars in equipment & parts go unaccounted for and those totals don't even include missing ordinance & weapons.
The inspector John Sopko says he has done his job so well it's hard to believe he's been allowed to keep it.
Even the Afghan National Army isn't keeping accurate records because the the spigot in Washington is shooting out money like a firehose.
How many other bases in how many other countries is something like this also happening?
Seven hundred...more?
Can you even imagine the scope of the fraud that going on in the name of the nation's defence?
Does anyone care what this makes the military look like at a time when confidence is at an all time low?
Correct me if I'm wrong but don't they still shoot people for monkey shines like this?
Independant Contractors prefered and owned by governments insiders swooping in...then taking the money and running on the taxpayers expense.

theweek.com...

-Peace-

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 02:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Eryiedes

I wonder if there are any "silent partners" in these businesses overseas that are active in these scams? There is too much money made for this not to be true! Especially if nobody cares to pay these crazy fees....That leads right down the path of "follow the money"!!!!

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 02:27 PM
link   

pacific_waters
They pay market rates for the fuel. What costs is getting in theatre and to the troops and it's $400, not $500.

online.wsj.com...

Eryiedes
Evening,

Seven hundred...more?

theweek.com...

-Peace-

So the remaining 3.9 million dollars would go to what? You said they only pay 5 bucks. That would be $50,000 for the load. What does the other $395.00/ gallon X 10,000 gallons (average tanker truck) pay for? Danger pay?

posted on Dec, 27 2013 @ 02:36 PM
link   
look..nobody cares...this has been going on for years....nobody cares....it's tax money for the military, not tax money for Americans on food stamps, this gives money to businesses, not to our unemployed......to stop it and give the money to Americas poor...why that is just un-American, and the poor are the ones we are trying to punish...get with the program....it's all about FREEDOM AND LIBERTY!!!
edit on 27-12-2013 by jimmyx because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join