It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

California Town Bans Smoking in Condos and Apartments That Share Walls

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 22 2013 @ 03:13 PM
link   

DerbyGawker

intrepid

DerbyGawker

"There will always be a socially acceptable baseline."

edit on 22-11-2013 by DerbyGawker because: (no reason given)

and you people keep trying to change the baseline..i dont even smoke

posted on Nov, 22 2013 @ 03:14 PM
link   
When I think about smoking laws and the general stigma of smoking today....

... I always think of that old NASA footage from the 60s where they were in mission control during the Apollo program...and it was perfectly normal to smoke, there and in offices etc.

Here is the question:

Was life in the 60s or 70s where smoking was still "ok" at work and any other places worse?

Or, rephrased:

Has our life, now since smoking is banned pretty much anywhere has gotten "better"? If so..please elaborate.

Where are the countless of healthy people who are now so much better off "because smoke from the neighbor cannot enter through the pipes in the home anymore".....or "they are not bothered anymore by smoke in bars and restaurants"? Show me the dramatic benefits this had for society please!

Fact is no-one gave a s*** back then and no one had a problem with it.

posted on Nov, 22 2013 @ 03:18 PM
link   
reply to post by DerbyGawker

"There will always be a socially acceptable baseline." (your words)

and you people keep trying and do change that baseline..
if you want to live somewhere where every aspect of your life is under scrutiny and control why dont you find a nice place in north korea
i dont smoke for the record

edit on 22-11-2013 by vonclod because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2013 @ 03:18 PM
link   
reply to post by NoRulesAllowed

Seeing as this ban in particular is only a week old, and others are few and far between. Their recency and limited population affected make it impossible to make any qualitative analysis in contrast to ye old lack of civil rights and women's rights.

EDIT: Another good one: www.boalt.org...

"Public Takings of Private Contracts"

posted on Nov, 22 2013 @ 03:19 PM
link   

boymonkey74
Wow they are the worse reasons to hate England I have ever seen.

So your descendants were Nazi lovers and you hate the place because you hate a guy who was born there
I don't like an American so I will hate the whole USA lol.

no my genetic behavioral characteristics are a direct result of the founding of my nation was fought with England in a revolutionary war.

the Hungarian traits inherited have to deal with the Hungarian Crown and it's significance (Church related stuff) it has nothing to do with Nazi's beyond the point that Hungary has engaged the British in two conflicts... it has more to do with the King of Englan's rule and his legitimacy (way before the world wars)

Back to the OP no Government should tell anyone what to put in their own body or do something in their own home like the poster above says.

this task the town in California is a very liberal trait, this word is easily understandable to our European brothers... in the United States we refer to them as the Democratic Party.

and you are not on the liberal democrats side on this issue

you're with the right-wing freedom-loving tax-hating Conservatives...

Tea Party anyone?

edit on 22-11-2013 by SisyphusRide because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2013 @ 03:22 PM
link   

SisyphusRide
right-wing freedom loving

Unless it's someone else's freedom, then they hate it.

posted on Nov, 22 2013 @ 03:25 PM
link   
reply to post by SisyphusRide

Nope not with any party in the UK, they are all as bad as each other and just cater for business and not the people.

posted on Nov, 22 2013 @ 03:26 PM
link   

doobydoll
reply to post by Diabolical

Yet another revenue-earning law is born.

All these daft laws are put in place for one reason, and that is to legally extort cash from you. Just think of all that extra lovely cash generated from fines.

And anyway, if you live alone in your own home and light a fag up but there's no-one there to see you, who's gonna call the cops on you? The invisible man?

Good luck trying to enforce this law is all I can say.

I imagine there will be a lot of apartments with closed windows and shades.

posted on Nov, 22 2013 @ 03:27 PM
link   

DerbyGawker

SisyphusRide

someone else's freedom is the issue here... with this topic.

the liberals are not rulers of anyone to dictate their will on all people and what they do in the privacy of their own home and on their private property.

Democrats do not understand these values because the only successful individuals they have in their party are actors and performers... this is not a sign of working hard to own what you do, it doesn't take much to make money being controversial.

just ask Dawkins... lol

posted on Nov, 22 2013 @ 03:27 PM
link   

DerbyGawker

SisyphusRide

Dude, you are the one saying gov't should modify society for YOUR benefit. Hypocrisy much?

posted on Nov, 22 2013 @ 03:30 PM
link   
As a non smoker, this doesn't have an impact on me. But I'll tell you this, everywhere I've lived I've had smokers as neighbors. Never once have I been put off by their smoking. Even when outside together right next door, I may smell it once or twice, but that's far and few between and only lasts a second. I've NEVER smelled their smoke inside my home.

But this is California we're talking about, so the idiocy doesn't surprise me.

posted on Nov, 22 2013 @ 03:42 PM
link   

ObjectZero
reply to post by doobydoll

I guess they could use dogs to search the area, but I'm betting most will be called in by the person next door.

With all the laws in CA banning smoking is their any place left that people can smoke? I bet that list is getting really small.

Are the walls between adjoining houses so thin in America that your neighbours can smell your cigarette smoke?

posted on Nov, 22 2013 @ 03:44 PM
link   

intrepid

DerbyGawker

SisyphusRide

Dude, you are the one saying gov't should modify society for YOUR benefit. Hypocrisy much?

Who said for my benefit?

I really couldn't give a damn if people smoke, I smoke. But I'm not so pig-headed as to deny the humanity of the opposing group or the self-evident social harm smoking causes. They have a right to not be subjected to cigarette smoke in commons. Especially in THEIR home.

doobydoll

ObjectZero
reply to post by doobydoll

I guess they could use dogs to search the area, but I'm betting most will be called in by the person next door.

With all the laws in CA banning smoking is their any place left that people can smoke? I bet that list is getting really small.

Are the walls between adjoining houses so thin in America that your neighbours can smell your cigarette smoke?

Not necessarily thin, just porous with poor seals.

SisyphusRide
Democrats do not understand these values because the only successful individuals they have in their party are actors and performers...

1. Partisan hyper-polarization is so 20th century.
2. Ronald Reagan

vonclod
reply to post by DerbyGawker

"There will always be a socially acceptable baseline." (your words)

and you people keep trying and do change that baseline..
if you want to live somewhere where every aspect of your life is under scrutiny and control why dont you find a nice place in north korea
i dont smoke for the record

edit on 22-11-2013 by vonclod because: (no reason given)

"you people"... enough said.

"them people" (everyone) change the baseline, it is a shifting baseline. If it wasn't for people continuously redefining what is socially acceptable then slavery would still be legal*. Are you saying you support slavery?

"why don't you" find a nice place in Amsterdam where it's perfectly ok for your poor decisions to retard social growth.

posted on Nov, 22 2013 @ 03:48 PM
link   

DerbyGawker
I really couldn't give a damn if people smoke, I smoke.

If the T&C allowed I'd call BS. Unfortunately I can't.

posted on Nov, 22 2013 @ 03:50 PM
link   

intrepid

DerbyGawker
I really couldn't give a damn if people smoke, I smoke.

If the T&C allowed I'd call BS. Unfortunately I can't.

For being a smoker who doesn't care if people smoke or don't smoke while simultaneously recognizing that non-smokers have the right to not be subjected to smoke?

Is humanity a borderline T&C violation?

posted on Nov, 22 2013 @ 03:52 PM
link   

DerbyGawker

Nope but posting knowable false info is.

posted on Nov, 22 2013 @ 03:56 PM
link   

intrepid

DerbyGawker

Nope but posting knowable false info is.

Nothing I've said is false. I welcome you to invite a staff member with greater authority than yourself to weigh-in. You simply don't like my position or the manner in which I present it.

posted on Nov, 22 2013 @ 03:58 PM
link   

DerbyGawker
"why don't you" find a nice place in Amsterdam where it's perfectly ok for your poor decisions to retard social growth.

Last I checked Holland is a first world country and doing just fine for themselves. What social growth is being retarded there? Because they let people smoke pot? Lol your ignorance is showing if you believe that drugs retard social growth.

posted on Nov, 22 2013 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Krazysh0t

DerbyGawker

Last I checked Holland is a first world country and doing just fine for themselves. What social growth is being retarded there? Because they let people smoke pot? Lol your ignorance is showing if you believe that drugs retard social growth.

Just because it's "first world" doesn't mean their societies growth isn't retarded (classical use of retarded). Name something great to come out of Holland in the last 100 years that isn't a drug. They also have world class drug addiction because apparently people have a right to pollute their bodies at the expense of society.

EDIT: I don't believe that drugs themselves slow social growth. But I do know that taxing citizens to pay for needles and safe houses for junkies in a pathetic attempt to curb drug related crimes and deaths is just asinine. As highly as people consider Holland, they sure haven't managed to address the underlying social causes that lead people to morphine, heroin, etc vs universalist psychoactives with far less dependency issues.

posted on Nov, 22 2013 @ 04:15 PM
link   

DerbyGawker
Just because it's "first world" doesn't mean their societies growth isn't retarded (classical use of retarded). Name something great to come out of Holland in the last 100 years that isn't a drug. They also have world class drug addiction because apparently people have a right to pollute their bodies at the expense of society.

Are you saying that the Netherlands has an internal drug problem?

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join