It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I am such a proud Mum... my Son has made his first huntiing vid :D

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 22 2013 @ 07:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

your right! How sad it is that these skills are being lost. Reminds me of the movie Idiocracy. Dumbing everyone down. I recently met a young lady who did not even know how to make a cheese sauce, she buys it.

What the hell will People do when one day they can't go to the supermarket?

posted on Nov, 22 2013 @ 07:24 AM
link   
I say you should be proud as well. I do not condone killing animals for sport, but for food it is they way it was intended to be IMO. I have lived in Virginia all my life. I have grown up fishing and hunting with my brothers and now my husband. There is such an overpopulation of deer here it is unreal. I do not leave the house EVER without seeing a minimum of 5 or 6 deer. Same goes for turkeys. If it weren't for the hunting that is done, your car would be totaled every other time you tried to drive down the road.

The meat that is harvested in deer season is a blessing to many around here. www.h4hungry.org...

I HAVE NEVER seen a fellow hunter treat an animal the way I have seen a lot (not all) of the processing plants treat their chickens, cattle, turkey, etc. NEVER. Those that fuss over the killing with a gun obviously ignore how the cattle they eat is killed and more often than not... the sad existence it had before it was killed. They have a respect for nature and how it works, they have a respect for the animal and do not wish to see it suffer needlessly. It isn't a cold blooded sport where folks just kill as many animals as they can and leave the area littered with carcasses. Are there one or two that act like complete idiots? Isn't there always? It doesn't mean all of them are as seems to be the general consensus in this thread.

The stigma placed on hunters is undeserved IMO.

So as long winded as that was, there is nothing wrong with your son being self sufficient and adept at feeding himself. I would be proud too. He's removing the so called "middle man" and I am not sure where the fault is in that.

posted on Nov, 22 2013 @ 08:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Thurisaz

I'm glad I'm not alone in feeling the loss of basic life skills among the generations coming up now.

You know what really stopped me cold one day? I was reading a really good post-apocalyptic book series (The Ashes series by William Johnstone) and the point came up there about the filthy bodies after TSHTF due to the fact no one even knew how to make soap.

I got to thinking about that, and as much as I scoffed at first? I had to admit...here I was in my early 30's at that stage, and I couldn't say without looking it up, how to make soap either. (sigh) A basic basic thing to maintain life sustaining hygiene, and without a store? I would have died from complications relating to sanitation eventually.

Needless to say, I now know how to make soap better than what the stores sell when I choose to take the time. How many others...seriously now...actually know that basic skill without googling it? Scary huh?
edit on 22-11-2013 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2013 @ 10:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Thurisaz

Okay that is interesting about the tanning and salt because he took the brains out of the head! I let him do his own thing, but I know he is using the brains for the hide in some form or fashion which also posed as a challenge. I agree, tanning is definitely an art. I would be lucky to find a professional tanner in these parts. It would make life much easier to simply take the skins to a pro. After last night he decided he needed some tools such as a scraper and some other things that I do not understand yet LOLOL.

Do you have anything to show off that you made with your furs and hides and so forth? Would love to see them!!!

posted on Nov, 22 2013 @ 10:52 AM
link   

Wrabbit2000
[i

Needless to say, I now know how to make soap better than what the stores sell when I choose to take the time.

Wrabbit do you make your own lye as well???

posted on Nov, 22 2013 @ 07:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Hollie

lol.... See above for how I worded my original reply. 'When I've chosen to...'

I'm not one of these people who actually wants to live without the comforts the store can offer us all. There is much to be said for modern science. I just realized it was downright pathetic that at my age I couldn't even find a good way to stay clean if a disaster outlived the factory soap supply.

posted on Nov, 22 2013 @ 07:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Hahaha yea but in a disaster, lye would come in handy and it is only one ingredient and REALLY easy to make
You could use lye not only to make soap, but you might be able to make some cool weapons and stuff for survival! I think you can even dissolve dead bodies in it when it's heated up. I mean, dead bodies in a disaster would be the first thing you would want to be rid of! Okay that was just gross, but you know what I mean

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 01:18 AM
link   

Thurisaz
reply to post by spartacus699

yes some of the farming techniques I shudder at and I never eat chicken anymore, especially after I saw how they are farmed for some of our big fast food chains.

I would rather have my own chickens in my yard and eat them. At least I know they lived a good free life rather than in sheds 'free range' and processed earlier because of the hormones in the food. I would actually eat an 'adult' chicken from my own yard...

oh sur sure, you'd eat out any old chic if you were desperate enough

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 03:53 AM
link   
reply to post by spartacus699

oh gee I wouldn't... I once saw a Vietnam cooking show, something Nugen and he cooked up an egg with the chick inside and he ate it. I cringe at the idea of that but perhaps your right, if you were starving, you would eat.

but it wouldn't be smart to eat a chick... they provide eggs and have the ability to breed so more food. I would rather just eat unfertilized eggs from chickens.

posted on Nov, 23 2013 @ 03:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Hollie

ok I will take a photo with my pc of the one we are salting now...

the salt dries out any meat that maybe left on it... oh and my Son does use a hacksaw to remove the brains.. (the dogs are so happy, they love brains) and then he boils it. He once boiled a goats skull in my kitchen... omg they really smell bad. Anyway... the hacksaw will take the tip of the skull away really easily, then boil the skull.

the pic quality isn't the best but that is the one that we are salting now and thx for reminding because I will lay it flat this time.

edit on 23/11/2013 by Thurisaz because: to add pic

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 12:35 AM
link   
oh here is another video, this time they are out catching carp and carp is a pest and generally it is not eaten because it is not the best BUT you can eat it...

we put the carp in fresh water (a bath for a couple of days) and then eat them. I think because they are bottom feeders and generally found in dirty water, the meat tastes dreadful...but if you take them and keep them in clean water for a couple of days, the meat is good.

posted on Apr, 13 2014 @ 02:28 AM
link   

The Aussie Govt use the 1080 baits to kill off (slowly and inhumanely) many pests.

bastards... and when Hunters go in and hunt/kill for food... we are the bad ones.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join