It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I am such a proud Mum... my Son has made his first huntiing vid :D

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 19 2013 @ 05:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Thurisaz

actually no. i never buy meat from supermarkets. on the rare occasions that my family and i eat meat, we get it from the welshfoodbox company because it's organic and i know the animals have a decent life before we eat them.

like i said, if he's hunting for food it's excuseable. but hunting for sport is vile.

posted on Nov, 19 2013 @ 06:01 AM
link   

I agree. If more people had to kill their own meat before they could just chomp into a tasty burger, I rekon there'd be about 2.5 million less cows killed in Australia alone each year.. lol.

posted on Nov, 19 2013 @ 06:24 AM
link   
reply to post by gortex

It's quite sad that the government & media continues to give recreational and professional hunting a bad name. This only leads to a large majority of the public becoming misinformed and uneducated about the topic.
The Australian government spends millions of dollars in poisoning, culling & other attempts to eradicate feral animals each year. This is a quote from the Herald Sun, "Victorian Government hiring four shooters from New Zealand - and their dogs - to come to the high country of East Gippsland last year to shoot 23 feral goats. And paying them $42,000." The Victorian government is willing to pay $1,826.08 for each goat culled and how are they funding these culling operations? With tax payers money, and recreational hunters like my son are willing to pay for the right to hunt & eradicate these pests. Hunters aren't the enemy, hunters are part of our communities and a big part of conservation.

Some of you think hunting is cruel & barbaric, but I'm here to tell you that that is far from the truth. An Olympic sprinter runs 100m in 9 seconds, wild animals are a lot quicker & after the shot they usually only run 20-45m. That means the animals are unconscious after 3-5 seconds due to the loss of blood. After that the can not feel anything, just like when you're in surgery. The moments after they collapse & become unconscious is where their nervous system is shutting down (they might have spasms like in the video but they aren't in pain). This method in my opinion isn't cruel, but rather a more humane way to die considering our government uses methods that have been banned in every country except NZ & Australia.

The Australian & New Zealand government use 1080 poison baits to kill its feral & pest animals. This takes days to kill, in most cases the animal #s blood for hours on end until its muscles become so weak it can not stand. In the final hours of the animal life it has agonising muscle spasms which often breaks bones. Animals are dying like this every day and no one bats an eye. The media won't write articles about it because these methods are supported by the government & anti-hunting organisations. How can we live in a world where this is acceptable and responsible law abiding hunters & firearm owners are ridiculed for knowing right from wrong?

posted on Nov, 19 2013 @ 06:38 AM
link   

posted on Nov, 19 2013 @ 07:24 AM
link   
Hunting is not exactly a favorite subject around here, don't mind the ethics lectures.
Your boy looks to know his way around the bush some and is handy with a bow or rifle.
I tried to teach my sons to hunt but none of them stuck with it, too lazy to get up 4am I reckon.
We still enjoy shooting sports as a family - me, my wife, my dad, my brother, my 2 eldest and their wives like to shoot archery at a local range.

I could see how those goats would strip the landscape barren and run the native species out. Well meaning farmers and ranchers have introduced species in Oz that know no natural predators and once wild their populations get out of control. Those who advocate doing nothing would never see a red kangaroo as they would be driven to extinction by these newcomers.
It was man that upset the balance of nature and it's up to man to fix the problems he's made.
Cheers,
ATA

posted on Nov, 19 2013 @ 09:24 AM
link   
reply to post by davethebear

so much for the " freedom " of people who don't agree with you - huh ?

posted on Nov, 19 2013 @ 09:57 AM
link   
Big, tough hunter shooting animals that can't shoot back. Whoopee ding. Nothing to be proud of.

posted on Nov, 19 2013 @ 11:45 AM
link   

biggm
Killing innocent animals for sport, very sick.

You realize if they eat it they are not hunting for sport but for food and if you have ever eaten meat in your life it makes you more "sick" than they are. Because they are at least willing to go out and cull their own meat, which lived a natural life, and wasn't raised in some deplorable pen, pumped full of steroids, hormones and antibiotics just so it could be pegged in the forehead to later wind up in pink goo at McDonalds.

posted on Nov, 19 2013 @ 11:50 AM
link   
I haven't watched the video yet,
But as you know love for your kids is unconditional, I have no problem with hunting and it seems your son does it well. It is a skill that may well one day save his life.

You're right to be proud

Cody

posted on Nov, 19 2013 @ 11:59 AM
link   
To the OP, you should be proud of your son. I kind of find it rude that people are equating him to a poacher, or sport hunter. It's clear the two of them are skilled hunters looking for clean kills and have consideration for the animals they are hunting. (Even if they are pests, whether or not they are culling or bringing home as you mentioned they do.)

Don't let the hypocrites get you down, if they were so steadfast in their convictions they would run in and blurt out the same thing they have in this thread at every fast food joint they pass. But in reality they probably eat there themselves.

If you can't put an animal down yourself, you shouldn't be allowed to eat meat. IMO.

I did growing up, and it was a valued life lesson, not to mention respect for what we need to survive.

I think this thread highlights the problem with the modern world. People will read headlines about a dozen drone strikes in Pakistan, not bat an eyelash, but if they see Bambi killed suddenly something needs to be done!
edit on 19-11-2013 by boncho because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2013 @ 12:09 PM
link   
Congratulations mama!

I know that I will be proud of my boys when they drag their first kills home for me to cook up. There is a certain respect that you have for an animal that you have harvested yourself versus one that has been bought from a grocer case wrapped in plastic.

Everybody has to eat something. Some people devote their lives to feeding themselves instead of letting the government do it for them. To each their own.

posted on Nov, 19 2013 @ 12:20 PM
link   

woodsmom
Congratulations mama!

I know that I will be proud of my boys when they drag their first kills home for me to cook up. There is a certain respect that you have for an animal that you have harvested yourself versus one that has been bought from a grocer case wrapped in plastic.

Everybody has to eat something. Some people devote their lives to feeding themselves instead of letting the government do it for them. To each their own.

Bravo
When I went to visit Rodinus we ate a wild boar he had hunted. The hunted down snails weren't such a success but to eat meat that was hunted, prepared, and cooked straight from nature was divine.

I'm booking my place at your table

Cody

posted on Nov, 19 2013 @ 12:32 PM
link   
reply to post by cody599

There will always be a place, for you and the Mrs!

It really does make a huge difference in how you view your food. We happen to be a family that creates as much of our own food as we can, and am much more careful how I prepare the halibut that we caught or the blueberries I picked than I do a package of ground beef for a quick meal.

Nobody should be put down for feeding themselves, not the Gardeners that the government shut down and not the Hunters that get beat down from the other side. I do however believe that if you kill it you should eat it or use in for bait.
edit on 19-11-2013 by woodsmom because: Spelling

posted on Nov, 19 2013 @ 12:33 PM
link   
Reminds me of this. You're welcome.

posted on Nov, 19 2013 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Restricted
Big, tough hunter shooting animals that can't shoot back. Whoopee ding. Nothing to be proud of.

I recommend watching the video, especially the part where he is stalking with no cover, crawling around on rocky ground. Heck, my girlfriend complains when we wait 15 minutes for an appetizer. I guess we are lucky we don't have to go out and shoot defenceless animals like in the old days.

Forget all the people killed by wild goats, boar, etc. (big hard things on their heads, like to gore humans)

posted on Nov, 19 2013 @ 12:58 PM
link   
I was quite surprised by some of the reactions in this thread.

So much so that I addressed it in my own thread, and put a link
back to this one.

ATS post

To the one's bashing hunting and hunters in here...

In the effort to sound enlightened, don't make the
mistake of coming off as anti human.

Or at least, learn a little more about hunting,
and how they criticize each other, so you don't
sound like a bunch of ninnies' flying in on brooms,
to sweep the room clean of anyone who doesn't
drink the same kool aid as you.

Mike

posted on Nov, 19 2013 @ 01:21 PM
link   

This thread is a riot to read. Thurisaz, I am a hunter as well. Although I don't think I have shot anything while hunting in 4 years. I haven't needed the meat so I won't kill anything that will be wasted. I fully support anyone that hunts as long as the animal is used for food. It kills me some of the folks whining about killing animals for food. Lots of folks in the mountains here rely on it for meat they cannot get otherwise. Hunting teaches patience and discipline that folks just don't realize. Looks like your boy has good skills they will carry over in life you should be proud of him.

It's deer season here now. I'm going to drop one this year for an old man that lives up the road. He can't get out anymore and his income is almost zero. He needs the food and a 2$ bullet will go a long way for him. I'm going to skin and butcher it for him as well so he doesn't have to pay someone to do it........and yes just like some of you boiling over sitting there red faced at the thought of killing bambi are thinking I will bath in the glorious blood and sing praises to satan while I do it..........

posted on Nov, 19 2013 @ 04:48 PM
link   

Thurisaz

It's quite sad that the government & media continues to give recreational and professional hunting a bad name. This only leads to a large majority of the public becoming misinformed and uneducated about the topic.
The Australian government spends millions of dollars in poisoning, culling & other attempts to eradicate feral animals each year. This is a quote from the Herald Sun, "Victorian Government hiring four shooters from New Zealand - and their dogs - to come to the high country of East Gippsland last year to shoot 23 feral goats. And paying them $42,000." The Victorian government is willing to pay $1,826.08 for each goat culled and how are they funding these culling operations? With tax payers money, and recreational hunters like my son are willing to pay for the right to hunt & eradicate these pests. Hunters aren't the enemy, hunters are part of our communities and a big part of conservation.

Some of you think hunting is cruel & barbaric, but I'm here to tell you that that is far from the truth. An Olympic sprinter runs 100m in 9 seconds, wild animals are a lot quicker & after the shot they usually only run 20-45m. That means the animals are unconscious after 3-5 seconds due to the loss of blood. After that the can not feel anything, just like when you're in surgery. The moments after they collapse & become unconscious is where their nervous system is shutting down (they might have spasms like in the video but they aren't in pain). This method in my opinion isn't cruel, but rather a more humane way to die considering our government uses methods that have been banned in every country except NZ & Australia.

The Australian & New Zealand government use 1080 poison baits to kill its feral & pest animals. This takes days to kill, in most cases the animal #s blood for hours on end until its muscles become so weak it can not stand. In the final hours of the animal life it has agonising muscle spasms which often breaks bones. Animals are dying like this every day and no one bats an eye. The media won't write articles about it because these methods are supported by the government & anti-hunting organisations. How can we live in a world where this is acceptable and responsible law abiding hunters & firearm owners are ridiculed for knowing right from wrong?

I am very proud of my Son, the above reply was written by my Son James.

He is 17 and is interested in hunting/fishing and making films rather than partying and wasting his money. He is always keen to work on stations/boats etc as well as going to school.

When he was 14 he caught his first big shark. The same week my Son gaffed it and reeled it onto the boat, a man in Qld was mauled by the same kind of shark when he got it onto the boat.

A little while ago, he went out with a friend onto a property near Hawker, SA and it poured with rain, well they got bogged, the 4wd slid down an embankment and anyway, I was at home starting to pace up and down cos they weren't back at the usual time.

No phone contact because the area is so remote and the area is so rough, mountains etc that I was worried one of them may have been injured. Well, at 3am in the morning, I got a call from my Son and Liam letting me know that they were ok and had walked 20 kms to the station house. It took them 8 hours to walk 20 kms !! It was pouring with rain and well, they kept a level head and did everything correctly.

I don't care about other's negative comments about his hunting.

posted on Nov, 19 2013 @ 04:56 PM
link   
I bet those that are so offended don't do anything to help these animals they seem to care so much about in their free time.

Arm Chair Activists. typical.

Go preach on Facebook cuz none of us really GAF if you are offended, seems like a personal issue you need to sort out.
edit on 19-11-2013 by Lysergic because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2013 @ 05:20 PM
link   
It'll be fair when the deer and the bear and the shark are armed. Until then you're just sissies with guns and knives. You wouldn't be so brave without your weapons.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join