It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is religion a mental disorder?

page: 26
<< 23  24  25    27  28  29 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 10:57 AM
link   
Accidental Post

edit on 24-11-2013 by Eryiedes because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 11:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Eryiedes

So your contention is that religion is a mental illness and the world would be better off without it? According to present day medical science religion is not classified as a mental illness and would the world be better off without it? I'm not so sure, mainstream religion has common themes of respecting your fellow man and trying to do good and all that. Obviously it can be corrupted and used like anything but is it all bad I don't think so. I like Buddhism and all that peace and calm harmony stuff, very relaxing.
Derailing the thread not a history lesson, I like that.

Live long and prosper.

I thought you said not a history lesson? And you go and do that. Notice the majority of the worst crimes against humanity occur in the 20th century and are not religiously motivated. You have in fact argued in favour of my position. Shocking reading. Makes you wonder what kind of a world we live in.
edit on 24-11-2013 by JimTSpock because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 11:05 AM
link   
reply to post by JimTSpock

If you don't read/watch the material, how can you join in the discussion?

-Amitabha-

edit on 24-11-2013 by Eryiedes because: Altered Sentiment

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 11:09 AM
link   
reply to post by wildtimes

Dear wildtimes,

Wonderful, I agree with you. I knew that some one of your knowledge would make agreement possible.

I have no difficulty with saying that many children have bad things happen to them when they are young enough to be forming their basic beliefs. I suspect that more often than not they are caused by the parents or other family members.

These bad things can be rated on a scale from unpleasant to traumatic. The child's reaction can range from a shrug to hospitalization. These events can lead to all sorts of problems in life, physical and mental. One of those problems could be expressed in the form of religious obsession. I have no difficulties with any of that.

If silly and unproven claims had not been made, this thread would have been 1/4 of the length. Claims such as religious people are, by definition, neurotic or sociopathic. Or off-topic, indefensible, claims that God can be proven not to exist.

But rest assured, my agreement with you is complete. (And I did watch portions of all 5 videos, 2 completely.)

With respect,
Charles1952

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 11:10 AM
link   

JimTSpock
I thought you said not a history lesson? And you go and do that. Notice the majority of the worst crimes against humanity occur in the 20th century and are not religiously motivated.

So, the fact that most were carried out by religious god-fearing people doesn't phase you at all does it?

-Peace-

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 11:16 AM
link   

They weren't religious they were meglomaniac psychopaths a real mental disorder. Which psychos on the list followed a faith?
edit on 24-11-2013 by JimTSpock because: spelling

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 11:20 AM
link   

All but North Korea & The Khmer in the top ten were religious.
So, what now?

-Peace-
edit on 24-11-2013 by Eryiedes because: Typo

edit on 24-11-2013 by Eryiedes because: Correction

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 11:25 AM
link   

No none of the 20th century ones were religiously motivated or followed a faith in any meaningful way. I disagree. The Nazis weren't religious they were Nazis. Stalin's Russia was not religious it was anti religion.
edit on 24-11-2013 by JimTSpock because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 11:27 AM
link   

JimTSpock

No none of the 20th century ones were religiously motivated or followed a faith in any meaningful way. I disagree.

Gee...atheism didn't surge in popularity until the 20th century.
Did you figure that one out all by yourself or did you have help?

-Peace-

edit on 24-11-2013 by Eryiedes because: Correction

edit on 24-11-2013 by Eryiedes because: Removed Correction

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Are you arguing in the other direction now?
Your last few posts are getting further and further off the mark. Leave the history and go back to whatever it was you were talking about.

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 11:41 AM
link   

JimTSpock

Are you arguing in the other direction now?
Your last few posts are getting further and further off the mark. Leave the history and go back to whatever it was you were talking about.

So you like the others are afraid of the material and what it might say about your own life.
You make unconnected arguements which you feel you have a better chance of winning at that completely ignore the actual topic of the discussion.
Your repeated references to Hitler despite knowing he's an occultist is simply ignorance on your part.
Your refusal to see that it was Stalin's religious upbringing that made him into the monster he became is very telling of the limited scope of your position.
You have oversimplified this issue because you are incapable of confronting the actual facts of this thread.
Stay on topic, watch the material and maybe you might learn something.

-Peace-

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 11:48 AM
link   
reply to post by charles1952

maybe Wildtimes can explain why the founder of American Atheist, (Madalyn Murray O'Hair) why her son became a Baptist Minister and Preacher?

I mean raised in a house without God or supposed scare tactics, I have a hard time pseudoscientifically putting my finger on that one.

the majority of people hear the voice of peace and love and reason and compassion...

yes we're all delusional, not the 215.631 people in the world who are spiritually deaf.

edit on th000213p12u02R00 by SisyphusRide because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 11:49 AM
link   

No I don't agree with any of that. It's garbage and you are just arguing for the sake of arguing when you clearly have no inclination to discuss anything which may not validate your prejudiced views.

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 11:51 AM
link   
reply to post by SisyphusRide

You are grasping at straws again.
The OP clearly shows that trauma had to occur for this to happen.
But all that straw will build you a really nifty strawman.

-Peace-

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Thank you for establishing youself as a troll.
Unwilling to look at the material.
Thread derailment.
And when all else fails...you fall back on ad-hom attacks.
You are predictable like the coming of the dawn.
Your solution was to try and use incorrect historical knowledge to defeat a medical/psychological problem.
You seem to need some help so I will make this easy for you:

Refute the facts established by the OP or you must concede the arguement.

Anything less is capitulation.

-Peace-

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Eryiedes

You are grasping at straws again.
The OP clearly shows that trauma had to occur for this to happen.
But all that straw will build you a really nifty strawman.

-Peace-

for what to happen? Murry O'Hair's son to become a Southern Baptist?

yes there must have been trauma in the home, sad really

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 12:04 PM
link   

You're just trolling again.
You don't seem to capable of much else in this respect.
I think it's safe to say we are done.

-Good Day-

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 12:07 PM
link   

I only mentioned history once you went on with it and now you're saying it was wrong to mention when you tried to use it. I've already said religion is not accepted as a mental disorder in medical science despite your references to the afforementioned materials. You just like arguing and being hostile.

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 12:08 PM
link   

how many is it now... 6? 10? people in this thread who have been publicly humiliated, their facts disregarded, tared and feathered and sent away with a troll suit on...

I only see one delusional troll here, and they're a winner.

the topic has progressed and advanced in dialogue beyond the OP by page 2

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Eryiedes

You're just trolling again.
You don't seem to capable of much else in this respect.
I think it's safe to say we are done.

-Good Day-

answer the question with your science... it's the Socratic way.

---

Atheism/Communism ? it's all Greek to me...

"She and her children traveled by ship to Europe, planning on defecting to the Soviet embassy in Paris and residing in the Soviet Union, due to that nation's promotion of state atheism.[9] However, the USSR denied them entry.[4] Murray and her sons returned to Baltimore, Maryland in 1960.[10]"
en.wikipedia.org...

William J. Murray: American author, Baptist minister, and social conservative commentator and lobbyist who currently serves as the chairman of the Religious Freedom Coalition

the facts should help you formulate the answer...
edit on th192513p1200000025R19 by SisyphusRide because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 23  24  25    27  28  29 >>

join