It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is religion a mental disorder?

page: 27
<< 24  25  26    28  29  30 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 12:15 PM
link   
reply to post by SisyphusRide

I already did.

-Peace-

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 12:20 PM
link   

Isn't that sweet?
Ex-post facto reasoning to establish why the troll should be allowed to derail the thread at his leisure.
I'm sorry but the truth of this stems from the fact that you flee from the facts of the OP.
Your faith is so fragile and it can't withstand being tested.
Your position runs from evidence.
You can only make unassociated remarks which sidestep the OP because you haven't even seen the material and have no clue what you are talking about.
Why are you "humiliated"?
Maybe it's because you chose to live your life based on a poorly written fairy tale instead of facts?

-Peace-

edit on 24-11-2013 by Eryiedes because: Typo

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Eryiedes

I already did.

-Peace-

let me rephrase the question...

why is the founder of American Atheist son a Baptist Minister?

--

Atheism/Communism ? it's all Greek to me...

"She and her children traveled by ship to Europe, planning on defecting to the Soviet embassy in Paris and residing in the Soviet Union, due to that nation's promotion of state atheism.[9] However, the USSR denied them entry.[4] Murray and her sons returned to Baltimore, Maryland in 1960.[10]"
en.wikipedia.org...

William J. Murray: American author, Baptist minister, and social conservative commentator and lobbyist who currently serves as the chairman of the Religious Freedom Coalition

the facts should help you formulate the answer...

edit on th231213p12u12R23 by SisyphusRide because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 12:29 PM
link   
State Atheism = Mass Genocide

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 12:29 PM
link   

You don't seem to be getting this so for the final time:

No more silliness and religious shenaigans.
No more running away from the central point here.
Refute the medical and psychological facts established by this OP or you must concede the arguement.
Don't derail the thread.
Don't bring up unconnected pish-posh.
No more empty emotional appeals.
No more "my religious sensibilities are offended"....I don't care.
Speak to the facts of the matter only and conduct yourself appropriately.
That's the only option here whether you like it or not.

-Peace-

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 12:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Eryiedes

we are way beyond going to war (all the civilized nations) over religion... when Islam called for holy war who responded to their call? The civilized world went to war on terror.

although as evidenced in this thread, and by the words of infectious speakers such as Dawkins, we are obviously not beyond the philosophy of atheism yet.

it is a dangerous ideology, guaranteed to rob the people of their personal liberties and freedoms... and institute government as the bequeather of these fundamental human rights.

"Father, forgive them, for they know not what they do"

edit on th464313p1200000043R46 by SisyphusRide because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 12:45 PM
link   

So according to you one medical study proves beyond all doubt religion is a mental disorder. So there you go they're all nuts, knew it all along. Damn religious nutter loonies. Some say atheism is a belief system are they mental too? Or are they exempt?

Pish posh to you sir. I can see how some religions could be considered a mental disorder, scientology for instance.

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 12:46 PM
link   

SisyphusRide

we are way beyond going to war (all the civilized nations) over religion... when Islam called for holy war who responded to their call? The civilized world went to war on terror.

although as evidenced in this thread, and by the words of infectious speakers such as Dawkins, we are obviously not beyond the religion of atheism yet.

it's is a dangerous ideology, guaranteed to rob the people of their personal liberties and freedoms... and institute government as the bequeather of these fundamental human rights.

"Father, forgive them, for they have not known what they do"

Thank you for conceding the aguement.
Your post contains nothing which refutes the facts established by the OP...as we ALL knew it wouldn't.
Instead you posted more unconnected nonsence meant to cloud the issue.
This thread must be scaring the Jesus out of you for such shameless and obvious attempts at misdirection.
It's a clear to me now that the reluctance you display to evidence and reason is a glaring indicator that your supposed faith is broken beyond repair.
This concludes our conversation.

-Good Day-

(post by Eryiedes removed for a manners violation)

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 12:50 PM
link   

JimTSpock
Pish posh to you sir.

it's not only the ideals, it' the content of their character...

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 12:53 PM
link   

SisyphusRide

JimTSpock
Pish posh to you sir.

it's not only the ideals, it' the content of their character...

Said one troll to the other troll...
Ad-hom attacks are not on the menu here children.
Just the facts, ma'am.
Stroke your egos elsewhere.

-Peace-
edit on 24-11-2013 by Eryiedes because: Addition

edit on 24-11-2013 by Eryiedes because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 01:03 PM
link   

What material are you talking about? I've looked at the first page you keep saying the OP. I looked at that. I haven't looked through 27 pages of crud admittedly.

Sounds to me like you're taking the material you constantly refer to as gospel and without question, sound familiar?
Do you realize how nuts you sound? Religious belief is a mental disorder. Then most of the world's population have it. The whole idea of it is ridiculous and so vague it is laughable.
edit on 24-11-2013 by JimTSpock because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 01:07 PM
link   
Reading everyone's posts I have a couple of comments.

I'm not a very religious person. I never have had the holy spirit enter me, nor have I seen a real exorcism where the person possessed is doing/saying something that is basically an impossibility. I also have never had an ESP, ghost/spirit incident or been anal probed by aliens either, so those that suggest they have had any of these experiences are living in a world much different than my own.

This is the hard part to figure out. If I was blind my whole life I might believe that sight was some mystical faith ideal that those who profess they have it are all nut cases, but the truth would be that they CAN see, something I would be incapable of doing or even understanding unless I could see too.

This is kind of the thought that goes though my brain when I see posts from true atheists that seem to have the need to spend a lot of time on this subject. The problem just might be that they just happen to be like me, and as my example above, incapable of understanding since we have not truly experienced any of it too.

The other thing I see from atheist is that they feel religious people do good out of fear of retribution and so they are superior since they can do good without external influences. I would say that this is incorrect since the vast majority of religious people are religious because they want to be and they use their religion as a tool to project their empathy. This is not any different from an atheist that also projects their empathy, but they just happen to use different tools.

Finally, it is hard to say if religion is good or bad for the human race, but one thing we can see from the past is where humans in general have had no religion, and during those periods we really went off the deep end of no moral foundations. We can all see the loss of morals with the catholic church in the dark ages and the crusades, but when we look at how Russia and China entered their nonreligious communism/industrial age everything else pales in comparison to these events as to how evil man can be.

If I had to pick a place to live during these times, I for one would pick ANY religious country over the likes of Russia, China or Cambodia during their non-religious eras.

I guess my point on this is you need to be carful as to what you ask for, or what you think is the best scenario for the human race. To say we would be better off without religion is not something I would jump on the bandwagon to support too, and a sane world without religion would most likely be a world that none of us would really want to experience.

Do you all really want to experience the true nature of man with zero restraints?

edit on 24-11-2013 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 01:15 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 02:07 PM
link   

maybe Wildtimes can explain why the founder of American Atheist, (Madalyn Murray O'Hair) why her son became a Baptist Minister and Preacher?

I mean raised in a house without God or supposed scare tactics, I have a hard time pseudoscientifically putting my finger on that one.

Why are you not asking me directly?
I'd need sources to look at before responding to this story you mentioned.

My kids were raised in a house without "religious dogma", and they are *ahem* fine. And very tolerant.

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 02:16 PM
link   
reply to post by charles1952

Afternoon,

We are officially finished.
You may have appologized for your behavior but I do not forgive baseless accusations of lying.
You need not reply to this and i will certainly not respond to any further messages from you but imagine my suprise when a little bird dropped this in my lap:

I've been following your thread and your discussion with Charles1952. I think what you may be looking for is a statement made by Willian Lane Craig, a Christian apologist who condones the killing of women and children in the Old Testament thusly:

"But why take the lives of innocent children? The terrible totality of the destruction was undoubtedly related to the prohibition of assimilation to pagan nations on Israel's part. In commanding complete destruction of the Canaanites, the Lord says, 'You shall not intermarry with them, giving your daughters to their sons, or taking their daughters for your sons, for they would turn away your sons from following me, to serve other gods' (Deut 7.3-4). […] God knew that if these Canaanite children were allowed to live, they would spell the undoing of Israel. […] Moreover, if we believe, as I do, that God's grace is extended to those who die in infancy or as small children, the death of these children was actually their salvation. We are so wedded to an earthly, naturalistic perspective that we forget that those who die are happy to quit this earth for heaven's incomparable joy. Therefore, God does these children no wrong in taking their lives."

This concludes our business...now go your own way in peace.

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 02:24 PM
link   
reply to post by beatbox

No , a Personal Belief in a Higher Being is a Natural though process . Is Homosexuality a Abnormal Mental Disorder ? Yes .
edit on 24-11-2013 by Zanti Misfit because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 02:29 PM
link   

RevelationGeneration

I believe it's more likely to be demonic voices than mental disorder.

I would go insofar as saying 75% of people with so called schizophrenia are possessed or suffering some kind of demonic affliction.
edit on 21-11-2013 by RevelationGeneration because: (no reason given)

Except there is literally no such thing as demons?

So no, It's mental disorders or something we haven't discovered yet, but it's definitely not demons.

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 02:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Zanti Misfit

Please...this is not a thread on whether homosexuality is a mental disorder.
Stay on the OP.

-Peace-

posted on Nov, 24 2013 @ 02:40 PM
link   

I was just using that as an Example . Noted .

top topics

<< 24  25  26    28  29  30 >>

join