It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Video: How Mars Looked 4 Billion Years Ago!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 13 2013 @ 12:08 PM
link   
A very cool video prodused by NASA.
What would a habitable, watery Mars look like? Four billion years ago, the dry, dusty planet may have had enough of an atmosphere to support bodies of water. Perhaps it looked like this beautiful, cloud-covered lake scene that animators at NASA's Conceptual Image Lab imagine in their latest video.

The animation, which NASA says is one of the most complex it has ever produced, was created with the help of the scientists working on the Mars Atmosphere and Volatile Evolution (MAVEN) mission, which launches Nov. 18 from Cape Canaveral. MAVEN will study how the climate on Mars has changed over time by looking at the gases in its upper atmosphere.

Take a look. Go soaring across the ancient Martian landscape accompanied by what sounds like the soundtrack to an epic fantasy movie, flying over lakes (which may have existed on a young, thick-atmosphered Mars) and mountainous canyons, and watch as it slowly transforms into the red, rocky planet we've come to know today.

www.youtube.com...

posted on Nov, 13 2013 @ 12:20 PM
link   
reply to post by nighthawk1954

The news you have brought to our attention is interesting...and I will look into it further....

However...do you know you posted this new thread 3 times?

posted on Nov, 13 2013 @ 12:32 PM
link   
reply to post by caladonea

Something screwed up LOL Must be this new computer.

posted on Nov, 13 2013 @ 12:38 PM
link   

That's pretty cool. Too bad they didn't put civilizations on Mars 4 billion years ago!

posted on Nov, 13 2013 @ 01:05 PM
link   

nighthawk1954
reply to post by caladonea

Something screwed up LOL Must be this new computer.

it's all about post count

cool video, thanks OP

posted on Nov, 13 2013 @ 01:12 PM
link   

windword
That's pretty cool. Too bad they didn't put civilizations on Mars 4 billion years ago!

I wouldn't think that 500 million years (the time from the birth of Mars 4.5 billion years ago to that Mars in the video from 4 billion years ago) is enough time for life to begin and then evolve into the intelligence required to create a civilization.

posted on Nov, 13 2013 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Soylent Green Is People

windword

I wouldn't think that 500 million years (the time from the birth of Mars 4.5 billion years ago to that Mars in the video from 4 billion years ago) is enough time for life to begin and then evolve into the intelligence required to create a civilization.

It would have been cool if they had shown cities, or dinosaurs even!
Maybe a cave man shaking a stick at us! LOL!

posted on Nov, 13 2013 @ 01:21 PM
link   

Soylent Green Is People

windword

Also for sedimentary layers to have been deposited and then pushed up into mountains by volcanic forces. That seems to be pushing the timeline a bit.

NO LIFE.

posted on Nov, 13 2013 @ 01:34 PM
link   

windword

Soylent Green Is People

windword

It would have been cool if they had shown cities, or dinosaurs even!
Maybe a cave man shaking a stick at us! LOL!

Dinosaurs are a recent addition to Earth.

If the entire 4.5 Billion year timeline of the Earth were fit into a 24-hour day, then the first appearance of the dinosaurs would have been a little before 11 o'clock at night. Our human species would not appear until about 18 seconds before midnight.

edit on 11/13/2013 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2013 @ 01:56 PM
link   
I dunno, bit of a waste of time really, not something I would usually say.

posted on Nov, 13 2013 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Cool!

Thanks for sharing!

posted on Nov, 13 2013 @ 03:38 PM
link   
let's add a disclaimer ***MAY***. have looked. Carbon dating is flawed as it is. Saying this is what mars looked like 100 trillion years ago is about sci-fi as star trek. I bet the money spent here was really justified.

posted on Nov, 13 2013 @ 04:51 PM
link   

starfoxxx
let's add a disclaimer ***MAY***. have looked. Carbon dating is flawed as it is. Saying this is what mars looked like 100 trillion years ago is about sci-fi as star trek. I bet the money spent here was really justified.

1) Carbon Dating had nothing to do with this.

2) Neither Mars nor the universe for that mater existed 100 trillion years ago.

3) The amount of money spent on making the video was not even a drop in a bucket, as compared to say our military's budget? All the paychecks of all those ever so hardworking politicians in congress? You get the picture. The same thing can be done with completely free programs like UDK.

posted on Nov, 13 2013 @ 05:01 PM
link   

eriktheawful

starfoxxx

3) The amount of money spent on making the video was not even a drop in a bucket, as compared to say our military's budget? All the paychecks of all those ever so hardworking politicians in congress? You get the picture. The same thing can be done with completely free programs like UDK.
then

posted on Nov, 13 2013 @ 06:17 PM
link   

eriktheawful

That's right, E-on Vue7 onwards, land formations, clouds, sky water and mountains no bother and this video is twice as long!

new topics

top topics

join