It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MUST-SEE: Bill Maher BLASTS selfish Christian hypocrites who don't tip waiters

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 13 2013 @ 12:03 PM
link   
reply to post by whyamIhere

We should back down the preconceived notions.

OP is a long time member with a history of being very reasonable.

Agree.

Many folks seem to get bent with Bill Maher and what he says. He's pretty anti-religious, not just an atheist. For those folks I say "switch the channel."

Writing nasty notes to the food servers is in my book beyond the line. 1st amendment notwithstanding a person who gets in anothers face and questions their very validity is simply... well, evil.

posted on Nov, 13 2013 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Bassago

SasquatchHunter

wildtimes
reply to post by SasquatchHunter

No I don't think you will ever be reasonable.

That's your misguided opinion. You don't know a thing about me, obviously.

Your disapproval of religion is so strong you would destroy the first amendment.

That's quite a charge against someone. Care to back it up with some actual proof?

Sorry getting OT anyway.

After many years (when younger) in the food business I always was ambivalent about tips. On one hand we lived off them on the other I just couldn't see adding tips right to the bill. If anything I'd have written a note to Applebee's complaining about that.
edit on 786am5353am112013 by Bassago because: (no reason given)

OK Bass.
From Wild in the OP

CHURCH does NOT belong in a PUBLIC RESTAURANT.

Is it just religion that doesn't belong in a public place? What about Harry Potter discussions? Please you guys and gals tell me what is allowed and not allowed to be discussed in public. Since were repealing the First Amendment.

posted on Nov, 13 2013 @ 12:15 PM
link   
In lieu of the OP, I would be really interested to see the actual percentage of Christians who "tip," compared to the actual percentage of "Non-Christians" who tip.

I would say that is the only way to really come to any conclusion on it. Else, it just seems to be pursuing an agenda.

Perhaps to avoid all of it, we could try not to generalize entire groups of people by the acts of a few. Its not something that is unique to Christians, but everyone. This happens to every single person on the planet, and tends to be explained through personal bias or agenda.

On top of that, perhaps create a better pay system that would not rely upon the "kindness" of strangers. Maybe even a reform of minimum wage, where it is based on an equation.

The best solution would be to stop generalizing so that people are not judged according to others bias. Mr. Maher could probably learn a lot from that.

Is it really that big of a surprise that some people arent really who they say they are?

posted on Nov, 13 2013 @ 12:35 PM
link   
reply to post by wildtimes

It is NOT a "hate train", it's about how the CRUMMY CHRISTIANS make the lot of them look bad.

I wasn't referring to you, or the OP, with "hate train". I can, however, understand why you felt that I was. Perhaps I should have used the word "that", instead of "this", and the word "subject" instead of "topic".

I was actually referring to my previous, and now corrected, statement:
I see this subject (Christian jack asses, and what they did), and source, as nothing less than an attempt to berate the majority of Christians by highlighting the negative actions of a small minority of Christians.

My point was:
"Jack asses" are only defined by their own selfishness. That has absolutely nothing to do with one's religion. Those that intentionally associate "Christian" with "jack asses" are the ones that are riding "that hate train".

I'm sorry about the confusion.

Sincerely,
Milt

posted on Nov, 13 2013 @ 01:22 PM
link   
What?! 18%?? Now when did 18% become the societal tip standard? It's always been 15% as a baseline as far back as I can remember (and that's a pretty long time). I've never ever once in my entire life heard of tips being 18% as the norm. Massage Envy tried playing that crap with me once by trying to guilt me into giving 18% on an hour massage. The masseur wasn't anything special and the experience average. Growing up in Louisiana we were always taught 15% and that's what I tipped. And you know what, I NEVER went back. Tipping is voluntary not mandatory with the amount based on the service level provide.

I also use a scale of service when tipping. I don't ever tip a flat percentage because society deems it so. Bad service can go down to 10% or less. Incredibly crappy service gets a buck or two tops thrown on the table despite the size of my check. Exceptional service above and beyond can earn those serving me up to 20% max.

Now what really chafe's my hide is automatic gratuity because your party size goes over a certain number. BULLARKY! If I gotta sit at a separate table and consider myself a separate party I don't pay automatic gratuity. Yes large groups is a lot of friggin work. Get off your ass and earn the appropriate sized tip. IMHO automatic gratuity is nothing more than a license for waiters and waitresses to give bad service.

Tips should work like this though - you'd probably get a lot of good service more often that's for sure:

posted on Nov, 13 2013 @ 01:25 PM
link   
This news story serves to remind how screwed up we ALL can be as imperfect beings in need of Divine Help and ultimately Rescue from this avenue of good and evil.

Christ loved perfectly, however anybody that does not by default can be deemed guilty of being a hypocrite whenever convenient.

We can only strive with Grace to follow and imitate his TRUE path of teaching (also maligned by corrupted Bible text), in which most tend to fall incredibly short, myself being one.

Let us all forgive one another for transgression when others behave unalike from the Good Spirit, because by our thoughts and deeds we are all guilty of behaving dis-Gracefully.
edit on 13-11-2013 by PrimeLight because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2013 @ 01:31 PM
link   

HanzHenry
Greed and Hypocrisy. That is what the Christian religion is ALL about.

Ah no, that's not true.

posted on Nov, 13 2013 @ 01:35 PM
link   

SasquatchHunter

Is it just religion that doesn't belong in a public place? What about Harry Potter discussions? Please you guys and gals tell me what is allowed and not allowed to be discussed in public. Since were repealing the First Amendment.

I'm all for the 1st amendment, doesn't mean I go around insulting people. As my ma used to say "If you don't have anything nice to say don't say anything."

This wasn't about whether he had the legal right to say what he said. It's more of a moral and ethical issue. People can talk about whatever they want but when they start insulting and questioning others integrity in such a spiteful way they open themselves to rebuke.

posted on Nov, 13 2013 @ 01:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Terrormaster

At the last restaurant that I worked, a large party reservation, over 8 people, could only be taken by a manager. All parties that were reserved by a manager were automatically charged an 18% obligatory service charge, 3% of that went to the manager who made the reservation! Walk in parties of more than 8 got the mandatory 18% too, but that 3% was divided among the managers working at the time. It's racket I tell ya!

But, you're right 15% is the standard, where 12% is more the norm.

posted on Nov, 13 2013 @ 01:48 PM
link   
reply to post by windword

Whatever they are arguing about, I'm just still going to be nice and tip.

I'm a good citizen.

posted on Nov, 13 2013 @ 02:01 PM
link   

I pray my Christian brothers and sisters remember the Saviours teachings, so things like this do not give the Body of Christ a blemished name;

Acts 20:35
In all things I have shown you that by working hard in this way we must help the weak and remember the words of the Lord Jesus, how he himself said, ‘It is more blessed to give than to receive.’”

Hebrews 13:16
Do not neglect to do good and to share what you have, for such sacrifices are pleasing to God.

Matthew 6:1-4
“Beware of practicing your righteousness before other people in order to be seen by them, for then you will have no reward from your Father who is in heaven. “Thus, when you give to the needy, sound no trumpet before you, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may be praised by others. Truly, I say to you, they have received their reward. But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, so that your giving may be in secret. And your Father who sees in secret will reward you.

Luke 21:1-4
Jesus looked up and saw the rich putting their gifts into the offering box, and he saw a poor widow put in two small copper coins. And he said, “Truly, I tell you, this poor widow has put in more than all of them. For they all contributed out of their abundance, but she out of her poverty put in all she had to live on.”

1 John 3:17
But if anyone has the world's goods and sees his brother in need, yet closes his heart against him, how does God's love abide in him?

2 Corinthians 9:7
Each one must give as he has decided in his heart, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver.

Luke 12:33
Sell your possessions, and give to the needy. Provide yourselves with moneybags that do not grow old, with a treasure in the heavens that does not fail, where no thief approaches and no moth destroys

My brothers and sisters, please forgive us for anything we have said or done wrong, and Lord forgive us as we forgive those who trespass against us,

Father God forgive us all, bless us all,

Through Christ our Lord,

Amen

posted on Nov, 13 2013 @ 02:17 PM
link   
You know what the problem is? We're discouraged from exploring these things. You might as well put up a sign that says, "DO NOT DISCUSS OR QUESTION". Hell, I was just talking to someone today who reminds me a lot of some people on these forums...he was talking smack about Islam and I informed him that Islam comes from the same place Christianity does. Isn't that the Abrahamic tripod? Christianity, Judaism, and Islam? He offered me some very crude words of advice, essentially suggesting that I shut up. Not the sort of language Christians should use.

Guess I struck a nerve.

edit on 13-11-2013 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2013 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Bassago

SasquatchHunter

I'm all for the 1st amendment, doesn't mean I go around insulting people. As my ma used to say "If you don't have anything nice to say don't say anything."

This wasn't about whether he had the legal right to say what he said. It's more of a moral and ethical issue. People can talk about whatever they want but when they start insulting and questioning others integrity in such a spiteful way they open themselves to rebuke.

I wasn't insulting anyone. The OP is probably an intelligent person, and in most cases a reasonable person. I pointed out the fact that the OP views on religion and many others is often so unreasonable their willing to do things like disregard the constitution and I backed that up with what the OP posted which was saying religion has no place in a public place such as a restaurant. I agree the situation is bad manners.

What the OP is suggesting that is far more questionable an has much stronger ethical implications. If the OP had said it was inappropriate to enagae their son in that way and left it at that. No problem. The OP went on to say religion doesn't belong in restaurants.

So people are no longer allowed to say grace before eating their meals? Or say a prayer? Or discuss things that are important to them? What about discussing witchcraft or dressing up as a Ninja? Do you not see the problem here?

posted on Nov, 13 2013 @ 02:50 PM
link   
/Yawn. I always tip when I can, unless i'm going to a fast food joint. If they don't want to tip who cares? I think this is just another Christian bashing thread imo. This thread wouldn't even exist if it was about some other people from another religion.

Wildtimes getting your rocks off for the lolz again!

posted on Nov, 13 2013 @ 02:53 PM
link   

from your source:

It's OK if you don't want to feed the hungry, or heal the sick, or house the homeless. Just don't say you're doing it for their own good. Don't say you'd like to help people, but your hands are tied because if you did, it would cause a culture of dependency, or go against the Bible, or worst of all, rob them of their freedom... to be sick and hungry.

Just admit you're selfish, and based on how little your beliefs mirror the actual teachings of Jesus, you might as well claim to worship Despicable Me.

amen.

posted on Nov, 13 2013 @ 02:53 PM
link   

lonewolf19792000
/Yawn. I always tip when I can, unless i'm going to a fast food joint. If they don't want to tip who cares? I think this is just another Christian bashing thread imo. This thread wouldn't even exist if it was about some other people from another religion.

Maybe that's because Christians are the only ones who hate Gay people?

ye think?

Maybe I should say the "Abrahamic religions" are the only ones

edit on 13-11-2013 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2013 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Akragon

lonewolf19792000

Maybe that's because Christians are the only ones who hate Gay people?

ye think?

Maybe I should say the "Abrahamic religions" are the only ones

edit on 13-11-2013 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

You crack me up I don't even know where to start with you.... Your contempt for Paul whos purpose was to reject draconian Mosaic law in favor of all people being equal and already saved through Christ, and then you post this. Your hilarious.

posted on Nov, 13 2013 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Glad I amuse you...

I try... really I do

posted on Nov, 13 2013 @ 03:11 PM
link   

AfterInfinity
You know what the problem is? We're discouraged from exploring these things. You might as well put up a sign that says, "DO NOT DISCUSS OR QUESTION". Hell, I was just talking to someone today who reminds me a lot of some people on these forums...he was talking smack about Islam and I informed him that Islam comes from the same place Christianity does. Isn't that the Abrahamic tripod? Christianity, Judaism, and Islam? He offered me some very crude words of advice, essentially suggesting that I shut up. Not the sort of language Christians should use.

Guess I struck a nerve.

edit on 13-11-2013 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

Either that or he's getting tired of armchair religion scholars telling him what his religion is & is not.

Without trying to derail this thread too much, the short answer is NO Islam is NOT akin to either Judaism or Christianity, regardless what others have told you, or what you have read in print.

/Just saying.

posted on Nov, 13 2013 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Akragon

Glad I amuse you...

I try... really I do

Yes I had a good laugh and now I'm glad I didn't waste more time having a pointless debate.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join