It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MUST-SEE: Bill Maher BLASTS selfish Christian hypocrites who don't tip waiters

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 13 2013 @ 03:18 PM
link   
reply to post by SasquatchHunter

Good man... Perhaps you should focus on the topic instead of your opinion of me

Deal?

posted on Nov, 13 2013 @ 03:19 PM
link   
The title should not have included the word christian, but instead man as this is a complete ad hominem attack against someone.

The fact a man is selfish, ok I get, but the mere fact someone has to insult another for a bad thing this other person makes, does not mean the first one is more right, certainly not.

Charity, one of the seven virtues might not have been done, but it does not give anyone the right to insult because of this temporarily lack. It is sad what I see here and all it does is more of divide and conquer than anything else.

Thruthseek3r

posted on Nov, 13 2013 @ 06:43 PM
link   
reply to post by wildtimes

Dear wildtimes,

I'm so glad to be back so that I can have a chance to talk with posters like you. I see you haven't lost your old passion. My memory might be flawed, but I don't remember you quite as passionate before. Anyway, interesting thread, but a little disappointing. Oh, I'm not disappointed in you, but in Bill Maher and some of the posts in the thread.

This was a risky topic to start with, and I think it's coming to the point of unmanageability. Let me explain why I think so by giving some examples.

If I was able to upload, I'd show you the copy of a receipt for $74 dollars to which was added a $3 tip. The patron was Drew Brees. (I had to look him up. Apparently he's a famous football player for the New Orleans team.) Mr. Brees is not particularly known for being a religious leader, and he doesn't do the Tebow thing, so one might start making assumptions about football players.

The study, based on the most recent available Internal Revenue Service records of Americans who itemized their deductions, examines taxpayers who earned $50,000 or more in 2008. They donated a median of 4.7 percent of their discretionary income to charitable causes.

Red states are more generous than blue states. The eight states where residents gave the highest share of income to charity went for John McCain in 2008. The seven-lowest ranking states supported Barack Obama. (Emphasis added)

philanthropy.com...

Are we entitled, therefore, to say, "Those hypocritical Democrats. They talk about helping the poor, but it's just a fake. Democrats have no place in public."

Or, again:

How do religious and secular people vary in their charitable behavior? To answer this, I turn to data collected expressly to explore patterns in American civic life. The Social Capital Community Benchmark Survey (sccbs) was undertaken in 2000 by researchers at universities throughout the United States and the Roper Center for Public Opinion Research. The data consist of nearly 30,000 observations drawn from 50 communities across the United States and ask individuals about their “civic behavior,” including their giving and volunteering during the year preceding the survey.

From these data, I have constructed two measures of religious participation. First, the group I refer to as “religious” are the respondents that report attending religious services every week or more often. This is 33 percent of the sample. Second, the group I call “secular” report attending religious services less than a few times per year or explicitly say they have no religion. These people are 26 percent of the sample (implying that those who practice their religion occasionally make up 41 percent of the sample). The sccbs asked respondents whether and how much they gave and volunteered to “religious causes” or “non-religious charities” over the previous 12 months. Across the whole population, 81 percent gave, while 57 percent volunteered.

The differences in charity between secular and religious people are dramatic. Religious people are 25 percentage points more likely than secularists to donate money (91 percent to 66 percent) and 23 points more likely to volunteer time (67 percent to 44 percent). And, consistent with the findings of other writers, these data show that practicing a religion is more important than the actual religion itself in predicting charitable behavior. For example, among those who attend worship services regularly, 92 percent of Protestants give charitably, compared with 91 percent of Catholics, 91 percent of Jews, and 89 percent from other religions. (Emphasis added)

www.hoover.org...

Shall I start saying "If you don't practice a religion, you're probably a selfish, greedy human. Who needs you?"

Please don't think that I am saying those things, I'm only trying to point out how complex the question is, and how easily it's turned to attack nearly any group. It's especially sad when someone uses it to say to themselves ‘God, I thank you that I am not like other people: thieves, rogues, adulterers, or even like this tax collector. I fast twice a week; I give a tenth of all my income.’ Luke 18:11-12.

With respect,
Charles1952
edit on 13-11-2013 by charles1952 because: Add bold

edit on 13-11-2013 by charles1952 because: Spelling

posted on Nov, 13 2013 @ 07:14 PM
link   
reply to post by charles1952

Red states are more generous than blue states. The eight states where residents gave the highest share of income to charity went for John McCain in 2008. The seven-lowest ranking states supported Barack Obama.

HAHA! That cracks me up! I do think that John McCain is a charity case, but not presidential elections. But, what do I know?

And, you're right about some celebrities being lousy customers and tippers. Goldie Hawn was one of the rudest, most unreasonably demanding people I've ever waited on, and then she stiffed me! Some celebrities are famous for being lousy tippers. I wonder why that is?

Restaurant Renegades: The 20 Worst Tippers in Celebdom

posted on Nov, 13 2013 @ 07:20 PM
link   
reply to post by windword

Dear windword,

You weren't specifically asking for an answer from me, but I'd like to throw out a top-of-the-head guess as to why famous people may be "cheap."

I think famous people get used to being served, having things given to them, being waited on. Perhaps after a while they begin to think that it's unnatural for them to be giving instead of receiving. As I say, just a guess.

With respect,
Charles1952

P.s. It was good to see you LOL, I was hoping you hadn't forgotten how to. Best, - C -

posted on Nov, 13 2013 @ 07:25 PM
link   

I think famous people get used to being served,

More like being worshiped, for some of them!

P.s. It was good to see you LOL, I was hoping you hadn't forgotten how to.

I could never forget how to "see" you! LOL

posted on Nov, 14 2013 @ 08:38 AM
link   

Akragon

lonewolf19792000
/Yawn. I always tip when I can, unless i'm going to a fast food joint. If they don't want to tip who cares? I think this is just another Christian bashing thread imo. This thread wouldn't even exist if it was about some other people from another religion.

Wildtimes getting your rocks off for the lolz again!

Maybe that's because Christians are the only ones who hate Gay people?

ye think?

Maybe I should say the "Abrahamic religions" are the only ones

edit on 13-11-2013 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

A "Christian" doesn't hate anyone. Hate the sin perhaps, but not the people. I don't focus on homosexuality, even though it is deemed an abomination. We all have sinned, and will sin again. That is why we all need a savior. Go read the Torah, even Moses and David were not perfect and they were the men closest to the Lord.

posted on Nov, 14 2013 @ 08:46 AM
link   

Hi charles! I wondered where you'd gone off to! Glad you are back.

This thread, I knew, would be controversial. If you noticed in the OP I stated that it is only SOME CHRISTIANS who behave so badly toward others. I also called on those Christians who SEE their brethren acting like this to correct them - obviously I was opening up a can of worms, and yes, it has become unmanageable.

BAD BEHAVIOR is bad behavior. I also make threads calling Muslims to address the atrocities their brethren perpetuate (not tipping is hardly an 'atrocity' - obviously - and MANY people do not tip).

My main point is the in-your-face insults of writing notes to servers, or leaving them evangelical fake $10 tips. Suppose that fake $10 was given to a Christian server? How would that affect the server?

I'm pretty much done - the topic being attached to Bill Maher was a questionable way to present the info - but it was another thread that prompted me to write it, three days AFTER I first saw it. I initially wasn't going to post it at all. I can't recall now which thread inspired me to start it, but it might have been the one that has now been trashed. They can trash this one, too - and I honestly would be glad of it.

posted on Nov, 14 2013 @ 08:50 AM
link   
reply to post by lonewolf19792000

Just so you know, lonewolf, I don't find these threads "funny" - I find them difficult and painful. You go looking for "Christian-bashing" in EVERY thread in this forum. I could discuss other types of people who behave badly, too -

but I am utterly incensed by this sort of arrogant, self-righteous behavior - and I'm certain Jesus would have been, also.

posted on Nov, 14 2013 @ 09:16 AM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Sometimes I wonder if society would be better served by mandating that all citizens work in food service for a period of time just so everyone can see how challanging and occassionally daunting the task can really be....and how devestating it can be to get stiffed on a generousity.

Now that that's off the table, I'd really wish the media would quit assigning the term "Christian" to someone who obviously doesn't behave as such. It's misleading. Just because someone chooses to wear the "Christian Label" doesn't mean squat...it's no different than wearing a costume and masquerading if their actions are not in accordance with the core values Jesus laid forth.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Nov, 14 2013 @ 12:31 PM
link   
Sorry, but you could find random Hypocrite stories about 1 person here & there in any group. Especially groups that make up Millions/Billions of people. That don't define us as Christians especially when the Statistics show just how generous we are as Individuals and as a whole.

Dear Bill Mayer. I understand you need to keep the anti religion brew stewing to stay relevant. These are hard times you are facing, since everything you said you despised about our country and our previous president you now find yourself Agreeing with, spinning to Agree with, or just totally Ignoring it. This makes you the biggest Hypocrite ever.

Your Values have been exposed to be empty. You have shown that War, droning, Spying, Horrible Foreign Relations: that you said were "ruining our reputation across the globe", Cronyism, Partisan Politics, ect. ect. & Infinite ect. you said you hated All that when Bush/Republican were president. Now you look for anyway to spin it or just change the subject about it.

You called many people wind socks. Well Billy Boy you need to watch your shows before 2008, you are 1 big Dirty Sock that will fly in any direction that your "Man Crush Boy Obama" blows.

Honestly are you on his payroll? Or do you just want him so bad your like a Teenager in Love who can't see what everyone else does? Inquiring Minds want to know....

posted on Nov, 14 2013 @ 12:34 PM
link   
reply to post by NotSoAnonymous

What is your point, please? I have re-read the entire thread, and gone over my posts. I made it quite clear that it is NOT "all Christians", and so did Bill.

sigh.

I was hoping the thread would die with General Eyes' astute post.

posted on Nov, 14 2013 @ 01:27 PM
link   

lonewolf19792000

Akragon

lonewolf19792000
/Yawn. I always tip when I can, unless i'm going to a fast food joint. If they don't want to tip who cares? I think this is just another Christian bashing thread imo. This thread wouldn't even exist if it was about some other people from another religion.

Wildtimes getting your rocks off for the lolz again!

Maybe that's because Christians are the only ones who hate Gay people?

ye think?

Maybe I should say the "Abrahamic religions" are the only ones

edit on 13-11-2013 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

A "Christian" doesn't hate anyone. Hate the sin perhaps, but not the people. I don't focus on homosexuality, even though it is deemed an abomination. We all have sinned, and will sin again. That is why we all need a savior. Go read the Torah, even Moses and David were not perfect and they were the men closest to the Lord.

NO thanks I've read the Torah far to many times already...

This is interesting though... I wonder what your definition of "hate" is... because I've known lots of Christians... And they sure display lots of Hate for things that go against whats in the bible...

Then they hate on me because I can correct their silliness with the gospels...

SO just to correct you... A Christian "shouldn't" hate... but most sure have it down to an art form

edit on 14-11-2013 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2013 @ 01:27 PM
link   
Double...
edit on 14-11-2013 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2013 @ 02:10 PM
link   
reply to post by wildtimes

Dear wildtimes,

I'm not terribly surprised to find myself agreeing with you in essence. Considering how fundamentally different our starting points are, I treasure the fact that we always seem to come to some agreement and understanding. Let me start with my vast area of agreement.

A true, complete, practicing, model Christian who understands a server's life would not short him in tips. Further, a Christian who observes another Christian be selfish not only should, but is commanded to speak to his brother about it.

Unless there are unusual circumstances, the tip should be full. (I do remember the time I was going out on a date as a teenager and the $10 bill I put in my wallet turned out to be a $1 and the tip was nearly non-existent. I was ashamed for a week.)

Just for you, but primarily some other posters, to consider, I think there's some "Black or White" thinking going on. I see posters saying "Well, with such and such behavior, they aren't really Christians." There's a big problem with this line of thought. "Christian" doesn't mean a nearly perfect, sinless being, whose behavior is always exemplary. That's a standard we don't seem to apply anywhere else.

There are good, bad, and mediocre plumbers, doctors, policemen, atheists, and everything else. It seems a little harsh to say that someone who is selfish isn't even a Christian of any type. Whether someone is a Christian isn't determined by the behavior, although that should be an indicator. Remember Chesterton's remark, "the Church isn't a museum for saints, it's a hospital for sinners."

I'd really hate for you to know all of my secret desires and sins. God does, and that's frightening in itself. Yet I still have the courage to call myself a Christian.

After all this, the message I wanted to get across was that I basically agree with you, and I hope the visitors to your thread learn something valuable. I'm glad it wasn't killed off.

With respect,
Charles1952

P.s. Someday, when I'm in a more somber mood, I'll tell you where my heart and mind went. - C -

posted on Nov, 14 2013 @ 03:07 PM
link   
www.boston.com...

"I also saw, so the Red Sox won the World Series, congratulations Red Sox," Maher said to Weiner. "So the parade, they go to the place where the marathon bombing took place, they put the World Series statue there and they sing God Bless America and they say 'Boston strong' and they chant 'USA,' you know. It was again, a bad day, three people died, that's terrible. More were maimed, that's horrible, but unfortunately that happens every day, in car accidents and everything else. I mean, you city was not leveled by Godzilla."

To which Anthony Weiner, to his credit, replied: "I don't know... such a nice moment, what's wrong with you?"

You know you're a terrible human being when Anthony Weiner can legitimately ask you "What's wrong with you?"

posted on Nov, 14 2013 @ 03:51 PM
link   
What really pisses me off is the intent behind expositions like this. Basically they are trying to give all Christians a bad name. That much is obvious. But the truth is that nobody has control over the actions of anyone else. Nobody controls who or who does not join a religious movement. Therefore, there are going to be many people who identify with a particular religion, yet who do not obey the tenets of that religion. This is common sense.

So why single out the Christians? Why not do this with another religion? There are other religions with similar beliefs regarding how to act, and this proves my point that this piece is an attempt to label Christians as hypocrites.

posted on Nov, 14 2013 @ 04:14 PM
link   

wildtimes
reply to post by lonewolf19792000

Just so you know, lonewolf, I don't find these threads "funny" - I find them difficult and painful. You go looking for "Christian-bashing" in EVERY thread in this forum. I could discuss other types of people who behave badly, too -

but I am utterly incensed by this sort of arrogant, self-righteous behavior - and I'm certain Jesus would have been, also.

Jesus would not have approved of tax collection related jobs, banking jobs, law enforcement, collections agents, TSA, or any other TPTB related SELL OUT SLAVE position many people who call themselves "Christians" have.

posted on Nov, 14 2013 @ 06:15 PM
link   
reply to post by HanzHenry

I'm having a little difficulty with your post. Would you help me understand it?

Jesus had no trouble with Army officers, he called a tax collector to be one of his chosen 12, and I don't think the other jobs were mentioned or existed in those times. How do you know that Jesus would disapprove?

The phrase "sell out slave" is very emotional, but I can't see any substance in it. Slave? Is a banker any more a slave than a McDonald's worker, or a bus driver? And by "sell out," I take it you mean working for an organization of which you don't approve.

What were you really trying to say?

posted on Nov, 14 2013 @ 11:34 PM
link   
Bill is such a slimy annoying weakling. I'm not christian or religious either for the record. he's about as fair and balanced as a 500lb preschooler on a see saw.
edit on 14-11-2013 by libertytoall because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join