It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Super Typhoon Hits Philippines Winds 235mph 1000 Dead - Now Heading for Vietnam

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 12 2013 @ 07:48 PM
link   

marhaba
...i thought it was the feminine for TWIT...

I don't know if that person was being sarcastic or really made a linguistic faux pas, but it sure put a smile on my face on this otherwise dreary, rainy day in Manila, which is 260 miles (420 km) from the path of the current storm that has now weakened to a Low Pressure Area. (I did notice that no apology was offered. Sadly, that's not the first time that's happened on this thread. Where's the civility on this thread??)

Six-hour traffic jams in Manila are definitely an exaggeration. I've been in two-hour ones during rush hour going from one end of Metro Manila to the opposite end. But I've experienced equally horrible traffic on the I-405/I-10 freeways in Los Angeles and the H-1 freeway in Honolulu, both always rated at the top of the worst freeway traffic in America.

posted on Nov, 13 2013 @ 03:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

You are just talking based on urban legend. Thailand, Vietnam, China and Indonesia are more corrupt than the Philippines based on corruption index. Somehow, the Philippines perception is worse than it actually is in real life. Times are changing and the Philippines is not governed by Marcos anymore.

posted on Nov, 13 2013 @ 04:55 AM
link   

Askal
reply to post by Zaphod58

You are just talking based on urban legend. Thailand, Vietnam, China and Indonesia are more corrupt than the Philippines based on corruption index. Somehow, the Philippines perception is worse than it actually is in real life. Times are changing and the Philippines is not governed by Marcos anymore.

Sorry but it's all over the Philippine news billions of money intended for NGO's got diverted to just a few officials. How is that not that corrupt?

posted on Nov, 13 2013 @ 05:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Askal

Marcos gutted the treasury before he left and they never recovered. I'm speaking based on both having been there and having family there. I didn't say they were the most corrupt, did I? I also didn't say Marcos still governed, but the culture of corruption he fostered is still alive and well.

posted on Nov, 13 2013 @ 05:12 AM
link   

Zaphod58
reply to post by Askal

Marcos gutted the treasury before he left and they never recovered. I'm speaking based on both having been there and having family there. I didn't say they were the most corrupt, did I? I also didn't say Marcos still governed, but the culture of corruption he fostered is still alive and well.

Not that easy to drop what's been ingrained for several decades. Kids being raised sees the corruption in their everyday life that when they grow up it will become normal to them.
I'm not fond of the Chinese gov't but the way they deal on their corrupt officials who gets caught, that's what should be emulated by the Philippines, in my opinion.

posted on Nov, 13 2013 @ 05:19 AM
link   

marhaba

Zaphod58
reply to post by Askal

Not that easy to drop what's been ingrained for several decades. Kids being raised sees the corruption in their everyday life that when they grow up it will become normal to them.
I'm not fond of the Chinese gov't but the way they deal on their corrupt officials who gets caught, that's what should be emulated by the Philippines, in my opinion.

jailed or shot. yeah, they have that right.

posted on Nov, 13 2013 @ 05:24 AM
link   
This is so sad , they had no chance to flee this destructive force. . But it's more sad that their own government lacks quick emergency aid to the people on the islands . So there's great need for food , water, and medicines

Gangs are starting to plunder and kill eachother stealing rice and ither foods. . I've heard chaotic people overrunned the food post that collapsed many deads because of chaos and gang riots..

If the government had acted like they supposed to this had cost lower casualties

posted on Nov, 13 2013 @ 05:37 AM
link   

0bserver1
This is so sad , they had no chance to flee this destructive force. . But it's more sad that their own government lacks quick emergency aid to the people on the islands . So there's great need for food , water, and medicines

Gangs are starting to plunder and kill eachother stealing rice and ither foods. . I've heard chaotic people overrunned the food post that collapsed many deads because of chaos and gang riots..

If the government had acted like they supposed to this had cost lower casualties

I've read somewhere the military contingent that was put ready in place in the area and some peace corps volunteers who stationed there in advance also become casualty and survivors. The place was totally washed out.

Anyway, 5 C-130 from the US Marines already in one of the hardest hit island of Samar with their personnel already providing help to the survivors.
edit on 13-11-2013 by marhaba because: ETA

posted on Nov, 13 2013 @ 05:45 AM
link   
reply to post by marhaba

That is just so wrong if it were to happen anywhere else but especially so in a very poor and calamity prone country like the Philippines; that is just downright ghoulish.

The UN needs to intervene and throw those officials in jail then put them down like the rabid dogs they are for crimes against humanity.

(I know. I know; like that's ever going to happen, right? And the Filipinos who would take over are most probably going to be just as bad.)

To the advocates of animal rights on here,

No disrespect intended to the rabid dogs because I know real animals should never be vilified.

posted on Nov, 13 2013 @ 05:46 AM
link   
I just read something on Skynews which I thought was kind of disgusting! Below is my comment I posted on the site:

I saw the headline and thought 'what?' . There has just been a massive disaster in the Philippines and some rich Millionaire or Billionaire has just forked out £90 Million for a Painting???? I really am sickened by this Individual! He/She could have paid the whole 300Million which is being asked for the disaster all by themselves by the look of it... instead they would rather buy a Painting to hang on their wall with their thoughts only on what it may be worth in 50 years time! Disgusting.

Below is the Link to the News Article:

news.sky.com...

Some of the Story:

A Francis Bacon painting of his friend and fellow artist Lucian Freud has become the most valuable work of art ever sold at auction - fetching almost £90m.

The Dublin-born artist's Three Studies of Lucian Freud sold for $142,405,000 (£89,609,283) after just six minutes of bidding in New York.

It eclipsed the $119.9m (£75m) price of Edvard Munch's The Scream, achieved in May, 2012, at Sotheby's.

posted on Nov, 13 2013 @ 08:04 AM
link   
reply to post by marhaba

I've heard that too and the the british are on their way to..with large equipment a seawater to drinkwater converter ship I'll bet their aid is faster then the Philippines government .

I think This will have great consequences for the Philippines government after this is over...?

posted on Nov, 13 2013 @ 08:13 AM
link   
a friend of mine has a mission in the hills.

haven't heard from him, yet.

posted on Nov, 13 2013 @ 09:12 AM
link   
reply to post by tsingtao

I think all communications are down at the moment. .
So it would be hard to make contact.

I think you have to give it some time. . But did you searched at peopl finder Philippines
I'll hope he/she's save..

edit on 0b30America/ChicagoWed, 13 Nov 2013 09:20:30 -0600vAmerica/ChicagoWed, 13 Nov 2013 09:20:30 -06001 by 0bserver1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 13 2013 @ 09:50 AM
link   
reply to post by marhaba

The George Washington carrier group will be there soon, as will a lot more.

posted on Nov, 13 2013 @ 10:12 AM
link   

TruthxIsxInxThexMist
reply to post by angelchemuel

yes. I spoke to one of the Reps on the phone and asked if they needed any Volunteers straight away in the Philippines... she gave me a website to view for longer term appointments! i viewed them but if I want to go, I have to pay for the Flights!

...its a shame that the richest Billionaires can't provide Air travel to Volunteers when there is disaster like this.... or the Airlines themselves....

Just saw this CNN story about corporations coming to the aid of typhoon victims:

Air Asia and Zest Hotels are offering free flights and accommodation to aid workers.

I hope that will help you be able to volunteer, TruthxIsxInxThexMist. Good luck and thank you!

posted on Nov, 13 2013 @ 10:41 AM
link   
At least three C-17s have been sent from as far away as Australia and the UK, along with more C-130s. The Marines have already delivered over 100,000 pounds of supplies since they arrived.

Once the Washington is on scene, she'll add 11 helicopters, but more importantly she can produce 400,000 gallons of fresh water every day. Other warships will be sent from the US with supplies and ground personnel as they're loaded with supplies.

posted on Nov, 13 2013 @ 10:51 AM
link   
I have a real problem with MSM calling these poor people 'looters'. Those that are desperate and seeking food water and shelter are not looters. Those seeking electronics are, unless they are trying to find a way to communicate to the outside world or family outside their area. For God's sake have some compassion MSM.

posted on Nov, 13 2013 @ 04:52 PM
link   

MNLmarc

TruthxIsxInxThexMist
reply to post by angelchemuel

yes. I spoke to one of the Reps on the phone and asked if they needed any Volunteers straight away in the Philippines... she gave me a website to view for longer term appointments! i viewed them but if I want to go, I have to pay for the Flights!

...its a shame that the richest Billionaires can't provide Air travel to Volunteers when there is disaster like this.... or the Airlines themselves....

Just saw this CNN story about corporations coming to the aid of typhoon victims:

Air Asia and Zest Hotels are offering free flights and accommodation to aid workers.

I hope that will help you be able to volunteer, TruthxIsxInxThexMist. Good luck and thank you!

You see the Power Of The Jedi Mind.

posted on Nov, 14 2013 @ 07:04 AM
link   

tsurfer2000h
reply to post by spartacus699

where do you think the g=v will send it next?

Is that really a serious question?

The answer to that question would be nowhere as no gov't can steer a huuricane or typhoon.

as long as I get a rise out of sheeple my job is done!

posted on Nov, 14 2013 @ 12:02 PM
link   
The USS George Washington, Cowpens, Antietem, and the oiler Yukon should have arrived off the coast. Four more V-22s were deployed from Japan, as well as the hospital ship Mercy being activated. She could be there in December if deployed. The USS Mustin, Lassen, Emory S Land, and USNS Bowditch, as well as several P-3 aircraft are there as well coordinating with the Philippine government.
edit on 11/14/2013 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join