It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Super Typhoon Hits Philippines Winds 235mph 1000 Dead - Now Heading for Vietnam

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Nov, 9 2013 @ 10:30 AM
link   

Tacloban, Philippines (CNN) -- A day after Super Typhoon Haiyan roared into the Philippines, officials predicted that the death toll could reach 1,200 or more.
"We estimate 1,000 people were killed in Tacloban and 200 in Samar province," Gwendolyn Pang, secretary general of the Philippine Red Cross.

Powered by 195-mph winds and gusts up to 235 mph

The destruction across the islands was catastrophic and widespread. For a time, storm clouds covered the entire Philippines, stretching 1,120 miles -- the distance between Florida and Canada -- and tropical storm-force winds covered an area the size of Germany

Super Typhoon Hits Philippines 1000 dead - Now Heading for Vietnam

It is very hard to grasp the size of this particular storm, but there are pics from space that were taken to give us an idea.

It honestly looks more like a tsunami hit them then a typhoon.

I wonder what is going on with all of these super-storms in such a short time frame.

The article also said that it is very possible that the storm will regain it's strength while heading to Vietnam.

My thoughts and prayers go out to everyone effected there.

edit on 9-11-2013 by Realtruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2013 @ 10:49 AM
link   
Haiyan made landfall as the most powerful typhoon or hurricane in recorded history.

Katrina was a monster. Haiyan is worse.

Thoughts and prayers to all in the path.
edit on 9-11-2013 by MrLimpet because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2013 @ 10:58 AM
link   
And we were expressing extreme concerns over the 100Mph wind/storm that hit the U.K a week or so ago. This is what a real Hurricane/Typhoon can do!

I hope the area affected does not suffer to much devastation and loss of life but with winds reaching 195/235Mph, covering an area the size of Germany I don't hold out to much hope!

Staying indoors just won't cut it! You would need to be underground to experience any kind of protection from winds of such velocity, and even then what about flooding?

This sounds really bad!

edit on 9-11-2013 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2013 @ 11:01 AM
link   
Wow there are some strange things happening with the weather lately,But the new's said the wind's had only reached 146 mph..

Unless they have picked up but damn that is on big nasty hurricane,Just by the size of the thing,Thought's go out to the family's that have lost love ones..

I don't think the news have covered the exact amount of damage done yet.Thank you for your post.

I wonder where it will head next,Hopefully will lose it's power and die down..
edit on 9-11-2013 by n00b2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2013 @ 11:09 AM
link   
reply to post by MrLimpet

Sustained winds were 195mph and gust reached 235mph. Very dangerous and destructive.

www.cnn.com...

With sustained winds of 315 kph (195 mph) and gusts as strong as 380 kph (235 mph), Haiyan was probably the strongest tropical cyclone to hit land anywhere in the world in recorded history. It will take further analysis after the storm passes to establish whether it is a record.

posted on Nov, 9 2013 @ 11:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Realtruth

OMG. That's a big one.
My Prayers for all the affected, to be safe

posted on Nov, 9 2013 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Is it possible this thing is picking up more speed on it's way ?

posted on Nov, 9 2013 @ 12:01 PM
link   

n00b2012

Is it possible this thing is picking up more speed on it's way ?

Yes that is a definite. Storms like this typically lose their strength during landfall, then many times will regain there strength over water again.

The issue with this particular storm is that it's so big and the fact that their was not enough land mass to break it up is a real problem.

I would like to hear more from some ATS experts on storms, weather, and possibilities of this one. We have some great minds, and experience here on ATS.

Most reports are coming out and the death toll continues to rise.

Again my heart and prayers go out to the people there.

posted on Nov, 9 2013 @ 12:06 PM
link   
That monster is gaining power again

posted on Nov, 9 2013 @ 12:07 PM
link   

agreed,,
also is there any chance this could turn toward,,,, Japan????????????????????

posted on Nov, 9 2013 @ 12:12 PM
link   
That is an insanely destructive power of winds.
The comment of there not being enough landmass to break up the power of it makes sense, normally when something like that makes landing it does drop a bit in force. Those affected are in my thoughts.

~Sovereign

posted on Nov, 9 2013 @ 12:12 PM
link   

BobAthome

agreed,,

No. It is in the South China Sea moving West to Vietnam. If it were going to Japan it would have done so before hitting the Philippines.

posted on Nov, 9 2013 @ 12:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Philippines

thank u,,

how far is , Vietnam to Japan,,

1200 mile range?

posted on Nov, 9 2013 @ 12:23 PM
link   

BobAthome
how far is , Vietnam to Japan,,

1200 mile range?

Forget Japan. Its not important for this tropical storm.

Any experts on the topography of Vietnam? As I understand it, most of the low lying areas are in the south near the Mekong Delta, so perhaps one can be thankful it isnt making landfall there.

posted on Nov, 9 2013 @ 12:25 PM
link   

BobAthome

agreed,,

Here is where it heading now and what they are saying.

www.weather.com...
edit on 9-11-2013 by Realtruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2013 @ 12:29 PM
link   
where do you think the g=v will send it next?

posted on Nov, 9 2013 @ 12:32 PM
link   

thnk u,,
current 115mph
travelling, 21 mph
North by North West-

any cold fronts comming down from Mongolia?
ohh and current temp of the coast line along, vietnam,,
,,ohh and China,,
sorry its Saturday, but it is a still very dangerous storm,
might just disappear like those 2 Super Typhons.
edit on 11/9/2013 by BobAthome because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2013 @ 12:50 PM
link   
Always check NOAA for hurricane info. Especially the satellite pages

www.nhc.noaa.gov...

This thing is huge and ugly. A Cat 5 is the most destructive type of storm there can be.
Anything that's not solidly built to withstand a hurricane will be destroyed.
I hope we can get some aid to those people after this storm is done.

edit on 9-11-2013 by grey580 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2013 @ 05:40 PM
link   
reply to post by spartacus699

Those were my thoughts too....just wondering what Philipinos had done to p*** off TPTB.

So bite me....this is ATS!

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Nov, 9 2013 @ 05:47 PM
link   
reply to post by angelchemuel

1.200 dead....so far...this is so sad.

As reported yesterday, Typhoon Haiyan - potentially the strongest storm to ever make landfall, and stronger than Katrina and Sandy combined - has come and left the Philippines (currently heading for Vietnam), and now the time has come to evaluate the damage and count the dead. Sadly, as Reuters reports, the devastation is absolutely massive and especially in the hardest hit city of Tacloban in the central Leyte province, may match the aftermath of the Fukushima tsunami: "This is destruction on a massive scale. There are cars thrown like tumbleweed and the streets are strewn with debris." Airport manager Efren Nagrama, 47, said water levels rose up to four metres (13 ft) in the airport. "It was like a tsunami. We escaped through the windows and I held on to a pole for about an hour as rain, seawater and wind swept through the airport. Some of my staff survived by clinging to trees. I prayed hard all throughout until the water subsided."

Photos, videos and more here......

www.zerohedge.com...

Rainbows
Jane

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join