It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

India's Mars orbiter blasts off from Sriharikota

page: 1.
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 03:31 AM
link   

The spacecraft will subsequently perform a series of technical maneuvers and short burns to raise its orbit before it slingshots toward Mars. It will then travel around 780 million km to reach the red planet next September, making India the only Asian country to reach Mars with a programme designed to showcase its low-cost space technology.

More than half of all Mars projects have failed, including China's in 2011 and Japan's in 2003. Only the United States, Russia and the European Union have successfully reached there.

The country has never before attempted an inter-planetary journey, meaning new technology had to be developed to enable the probe to run autonomously. Communication signals take about 12 minutes to travel between Earth an

India's Mars orbiter blasts off from Sriharikota

India's first missions to mars .... Just launched few minutes back .....

www.hindustantimes.com...

www.hindustantimes.com...

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 03:32 AM
link   
Latest: Vehicle has gone to a range of 3,000 km from the centre

Next 40 minutes will decide fate of Mars Mission

Expected to enter Mars Orbit in September 2014

Mangalyaan begins 485 million mile journey to the Red plane

I hope its a success !!!!

edit on 5-11-2013 by maddy21 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 03:34 AM
link   
Ha ha....this is the same India which we in Britain send economic and military aid monies too....?

Oh, they have a space agency and a mission to mars........ i believe they even have an aircraft carrier......well that's more than us then....!!

PDUK

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 03:39 AM
link   
reply to post by PurpleDog UK

Please do not bring Indian poverty or Aid money into this , the facts are far far different than which is posted in your new outlets ..please leave Indian poverty or aid money from this thread...

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 03:46 AM
link   
4th stage successful !!!

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 03:51 AM
link   
Farewell India's Probe, safe journey!

Cant wait for more non-nasa info back from it. Its not landing so, no rock pictures
!!

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 03:51 AM
link   
Might be wise to give the BRIC countries some support in this area. Although it will be a great achievement if they manage to do it, having the race to space fragmented between countries will lead to trouble one day. Let's help and support them, and try to make this as much a victory for science and human kind, rather than keep a nervous eye as brics start advancing at rates which may leave us behind one day. I wish them good luck, and open arms!

edit on 5-11-2013 by Qumulys because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 03:54 AM
link   
Satellite Separated !!!!

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 03:59 AM
link   
What an earth does India want to get involved with all this crap for? Why don't they concentrate on educating their people and eradicating poverty?

The aliens are already here!!! It doesn't matter where we came from or when the big bang started and quantum physics! Ok your autism may gift you in pure mathematics, but it is irrelevant ... they are HERE!!!

HX

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 04:16 AM
link   
Satellite Solar panels deployed !!!

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 04:24 AM
link   

maddy21
reply to post by PurpleDog UK

Please do not bring Indian poverty or Aid money into this , the facts are far far different than which is posted in your new outlets ..please leave Indian poverty or aid money from this thread...

Fair point Maddy..... i was just being a little sarcastic.....

I genuinely wish success to this mission and the advancement of human exploration...

Regards

PDUK

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 04:28 AM
link   

Qumulys
Might be wise to give the BRIC countries some support in this area. Although it will be a great achievement if they manage to do it, having the race to space fragmented between countries will lead to trouble one day. Let's help and support them, and try to make this as much a victory for science and human kind, rather than keep a nervous eye as brics start advancing at rates which may leave us behind one day. I wish them good luck, and open arms!

edit on 5-11-2013 by Qumulys because: (no reason given)

Q

I completely agree with you....... countries and individual nationalities should be put aside in favour of a one world organisation for space exploration etc......almost Star trek et al......

Trouble is that individual countries see advancement like this on their own merits as a bit of a pissing contest.initially started by the USA & USSR.......... the UN should take its finger out of its arse and suggest (t least) a global body of unity when it comes to space exploration and the pooling of resources....

Regards

PDUK

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 05:23 AM
link   

The gold-coloured probe is about the size of a small car

Instead of sending their mission directly to Mars, the ISRO plans to place its satellite in the earth's orbit first, and then use the momentum generated through a series of complex manoeuvres to send the spacecraft towards its final destination. If all goes well, it will reach the planet sometime next summer.

Journey to the Red Planet: ISRO Chairman K. Radhakrishnan holds a model of the Mars orbiter.
Photo: AP

En-route to the launch pad at Sriharikota

All set for the launch

And...Blast off!

GO INDIA, GO!!

In the history of space exploration, 40 missions to Mars have been launched, but only 16 have been successful. India's Mars Orbiter Mission will cost a paltry $77 million, about a fifth of other nations' missions.

Mangalyan is scheduled to enter Mars' orbit in September next year. It will carry scientific payloads to investigate whether Mars ever had an environment in which life could have evolved.

On-board instruments

Images courtesy:
Topnews
LiveIndia
ISRO
Skynews

edit on 5-11-2013 by OrionHunterX because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 05:27 AM
link   

PurpleDog UK
Ha ha....this is the same India which we in Britain send economic and military aid monies too....?

Oh, they have a space agency and a mission to mars........ i believe they even have an aircraft carrier......well that's more than us then....!!

PDUK

I didn't know we had racist imbeciles on ATS too!

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 05:35 AM
link   

OrionHunterX

PurpleDog UK

PDUK

I didn't know we had racist imbeciles on ATS too!

He's a frustrated Brit! Britain is a sunset power and the pet poodle of America So what do you expect from clowns who are suffering from depression as a consequence?

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 05:36 AM
link   
Congratulations to the Indian space agency and best wishes for the success of the MOM / Mangalyaan probe !
Can't begin to imagine how inspiring this will be for the young people in India.

The BBC reports the budget for this craft is extremely modest, the equivalent to only USD $72 million or GBP £45 million. You have to wonder how India can sent a probe to Mars for that small sum, when NASA and l'Agence Spatiale Européenne/ESA have budgets beyond the dreams of avarice.

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 05:58 AM
link   
I doubt it is a truely independent project ,,,at minimum India must be using US/EU deep space network for data transmissions--

To quote Mayer Amschel Rothschild:: "Let me control the data and I care not who receives it.”
edit on 5-11-2013 by Blowback because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 06:28 AM
link   
reply to post by maddy21

I'm surprised the Indians did not just reconstruct one off there ancient Vimanas, they could have been there with a Manned mission in a few hours!
LoL

On a more serious note, GO INDIA!!! Competition in this field of endeavour has got to be a good thing!

edit on 5-11-2013 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 06:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Blowback

its completely indigenous , we thought of Using NASA network but we are using the two stations one in Sriharikota and one in a ship based in the Indian Ocean

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 06:41 AM
link   
reply to post by maddy21

They have a very healthy interest in science and technology. They also want to get one over the chinese.

I hope this mission discovers something new and kudos to India for getting this mission off the ground from the drawing board in 16 months!!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join