It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lethal weapon: This is the gun that is killing America

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 07:15 AM
link   
reply to post by riffraff

Does anyone remember journalists? You know ,people who simply reported the facts and didn't try to trick you into thinking what they wanted you to think.

Sometimes I think many of the regular contributors here at ATS fit the definition of Journalist a WHOLE lot better than those who do it for a living and draw a salary for what passes as 'work' these days.

The rumbling we feel occasionally isn't small Earthquakes. It's people like Walter Cronkite, rolling in their graves.

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 07:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Doc Gator

Thanks, Doc! Not even 7:30 in the morning and I've already learned something new! I was told the 16 inch barrel rule years ago but had forgotten.

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 07:32 AM
link   
I know things from experience. I have seen what a very aggressive looking gun can do to a person. I saw more wreckless behavior amongst those that bought military style guns than those who had simple lever action rifles in the past. It does not mean that the guns make the people do these things, it means that those who do these kinds of things buy these kinds of weapons. It makes them feel more powerful. It builds their confidence.

What I said in no way means I agree with gun control, except for somehow keeping guns out of the hands of some people who are loose cannons. Most people who own guns are responsible. Even if that gun is a military style weapon.

Maybe it would be better if we somehow trained our populations to use guns responsibly, to respect the gun. I really don't know how to fix this. I was brought up with a gun and learned the right way to handle and use them. Mine are for hunting and protection, not for killing anything without necessity. Something needs to be done but what? I would hate to lose my ability to own a gun because of the actions of someone that is a little crazy. These crazy people will still find guns to use even if we have them taken away.

I back our right to bear arms but we have to fix the system, we need to get the guns out of the hands of people who would do these things. I think that dealers of guns and the local law enforcement agencies could handle this better. If a person is temporarily having issues than their guns can be temporarily confiscated and either given to a close relative to hold or locked up till the person gets help. I know law enforcement will abuse this and some relatives will give the guns right back but we have to do something on a local basis. I don't think that we need lawyers for this either, we need to start thinking reasonably. If this is done, I am sure that there will be a few who will still use their guns for violence when they are returned, but that is life. Hopefully we can use this to help people be more responsible. Right now we have a serious problem.

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 07:32 AM
link   

Asktheanimals
Lest anyone think false flags don't exist consider what are the odds that -

The shooters in each of the following used an AR15 to commit mass murder:
Aurora
Clackamas Mall shooting
Sandy Hook
LAX

EVERY mass murderer would choose the same weapon?
An AK47 is roughly equivalent and much cheaper yet no one chose it even though they are more common?
I would guesstimate 1 in every 4 or 5 gun owners might have an AR.
This single weapon used by our military and police would also happen to be the choice for mass murderers.
Every single time?
Highly improbable.

Eta: Found this little lie:

On December 14, 2012, 20-year-old Adam Lanza took his mother, Nancy's Bushmaster XM15-E2S rifle, a version of the AR-15, and killed her at their home

He shot his mother with a .22 cal rifle.
Ooops!
edit on 4-11-2013 by Asktheanimals because: added comment

edit on 4-11-2013 by Asktheanimals because: (no reason given)

THis is what gets me. The AK is a vastly superior weapon and killing machine. At a fraction of the cost. Until recently the ammo was cheaper and easier to find, too (now you can't find either).

The 5.56 round is a glorified .22. It has plenty of killing capacity due to muzzle velocity....but the 7.62 is superior and looks much more like what I use to hunt with (well...except my 30-30 is a blunt tipped version).

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 07:34 AM
link   
reply to post by AlphaHawk

This will never change. Even if the 5.56mm AR-style carbine was eradicated, their owners sent to camps or to go up a chimney... it would simply shift to another model. So long as we refuse to look in the mirror to focus on a culture that is bred on violence from every direction from childhood, combined with our wretched socio-economic climate, these inanimate objects will be conveniently blamed.

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 07:38 AM
link   
reply to post by DeadSeraph

The only issue I have with firearms is one of practicality, and the way they are used. I favour steel blades and stealth, over range and overwhelming weight of lead. Blades do not run out of ammunition, they are silent, and are multi-functional. But aside from that personal preference, I believe that a person should be allowed to be armed. Personally speaking, I find it offensive that I am prohibted from carrying a sword wherever I go. I think there would be a might more respect between people if everyone was free to do so.

Taking a stance against this particular gun however, makes no sense at all. As I said, the only thing that causes gun deaths, is people who have taken leave of their senses and their morals, being out and about among the populus without an effective system of monitoring and containment, to prevent their issues costing innocent people their lives.

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 07:39 AM
link   

TrueBrit
reply to post by DeadSeraph

The only issue I have with firearms is one of practicality, and the way they are used. I favour steel blades and stealth, over range and overwhelming weight of lead. Blades do not run out of ammunition, they are silent, and are multi-functional. But aside from that personal preference, I believe that a person should be allowed to be armed. Personally speaking, I find it offensive that I am prohibted from carrying a sword wherever I go. I think there would be a might more respect between people if everyone was free to do so.

Taking a stance against this particular gun however, makes no sense at all. As I said, the only thing that causes gun deaths, is people who have taken leave of their senses and their morals, being out and about among the populus without an effective system of monitoring and containment, to prevent their issues costing innocent people their lives.

when you say "sword"...do you mean "claymore"?

You are such a celt.

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 07:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

good point
if all were on the up and up
but things as some have been pointing out, are NOT on the up and up...

according to some ( check the stat on people wasted by government in the last 150 years or so...I understand thats the most major cause of premature death ) the PTB have skipped all that and just banned people

II 128,168,000 VICTIMS: THE DEKA-MEGAMURDERERS
4. 61,911,000 Murdered: The Soviet Gulag State
5. 35,236,000 Murdered: The Communist Chinese Ant Hill
6. 20,946,000 Murdered: The Nazi Genocide State
7. 10,214,000 Murdered: The Depraved Nationalist Regime

III 19,178,000 VICTIMS: THE LESSER MEGA-MURDERERS
8. 5,964,000 Murdered: Japan's Savage Military
9. 2,035,000 Murdered: The Khmer Rouge Hell State
10. 1,883,000 Murdered: Turkey's Genocidal Purges
11. 1,670,000 Murdered: The Vietnamese War State
12. 1,585,000 Murdered: Poland's Ethnic Cleansing
13. 1,503,000 Murdered: The Pakistani Cutthroat State
14. 1,072,000 Murdered: Tito's Slaughterhouse

IV 4,145,000 VICTIMS: SUSPECTED MEGAMURDERERS
15. 1,663,000 Murdered? Orwellian North Korea
16. 1,417,000 Murdered? Barbarous Mexico
17. 1,066,000 Murdered? Feudal Russia

www.hawaii.edu...

now why does homeland security need so many guns and so much ammo?
edit on 4-11-2013 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 07:42 AM
link   

If given the choice, I'd rather be shot than gutted like a fish.
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Each to their own. I'd prefer the slim to non-existent chance of disarming my blade-wielding attacker and not getting injured, to the zero possibility chance of dodging a bullet that has already been fired.

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 07:42 AM
link   
Although many people (myself included until I really started thinking about it) consider an AR pistol to be a novelty, they actually offer a lot of options. Under US law, a pistol can be converted to a rifle and back to a pistol at will. In the case of the AR, it is simply a matter of putting on an upper with a 16+ inch barrel and adding a butt stock and you have a rifle. Remove the butt stock and put on the pistol upper (in that order) and you are back to a legal pistol.

If the AR was built as a rifle, it can never legally be made into a pistol configuration.

The most important consideration (for me), is that if we ever find ourselves in a situation where the BATFE laws are irrelevant or a distant secondary consideration, you can put an M4 stock on the pistol and have one of the best CQB firearms on the planet.

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 07:54 AM
link   
They should show a picture of a knife because knives kill more people than guns do. Anyways, I could care less what some other country thinks of the US constitution and the right to bear arms. It's none of their business. It's simple; If you own guns, then keep them locked up, especially if you have a mentally ill person or kids in the household. It's just basic common sense. The gov knows that they won't be able to easily wipe out people with AR's and AK's. Those are the rifles that keep Americans safe from the blood-thirsty government. The gov is getting scared because people are talking about them and their cronies. They're trying to take away the peoples power, except it won't work. It's too late. Doesn't mean they won't try though as a last ditch effort. Then, they'll just smuggle all the gold out of the country and let it collapse. The parasite is done with the host, or so it seems, because the host has become aware of the parasite.

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 08:01 AM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

I cannot deny that I would probably carry a claymore if I had the right to do so under my nations laws. I would probably also go about with a more practical, less cumbersome blade for close confines, but I could definitely do a claymore.

And yes, I am a bit of a celt

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 08:01 AM
link   
"It's not an assault rifle cause it doesn't come stock with a fully automatic position for the safety selector."

Cry me a river.

Oh, and it has a 25 round clip instead of a 30 round clip.

Everyone knows it ain't an assault rifle unless it has a 5 round larger cap. clip.
edit on 2013/11/4 by Pejeu because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 08:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Fylgje

They should show a picture of a knife because knives kill more people than guns do.

There is a blade in every home on this planet. Guns aren't anywhere near as popular in other places as you seem to think they are. Even if every gun owner in the USA has 10 guns each, there are still more knives readily accessible to angry people with poor restraint. Now, imagine there were as many guns distributed among the public as there is knives, and tell me that the knife killings would outnumber the gun killings.

edit on 4-11-2013 by IvanAstikov because: clarification of point

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 08:07 AM
link   

Pejeu
"It's not an assault rifle cause it doesn't come stock with a fully automatic position for the safety selector."

Cry me a river.

Oh, and it has a 25 round clip instead of a 30 round clip.

Everyone knows it ain't an assault rifle unless it has a 5 round larger cap. clip.
edit on 2013/11/4 by Pejeu because: (no reason given)

That is the definition of an assault rifle. If it isn't capable of full auto or burst fire, it is not an assault rifle. It's that simple.

You can call a horse an automobile because they both carry goods and people over distances, but a horse is clearly not an automobile no matter how many times someone says it is.

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 08:10 AM
link   

You can call a horse a race horse whether it is a world-beater or a nag, though.

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 08:11 AM
link   

Lets not forget that our friend Pe Jeu is calling a "magazine" a "clip". Sure sign of a noob.

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 08:17 AM
link   

IvanAstikov

You can call a horse a race horse whether it is a world-beater or a nag, though.

True. Is this a whimsical comment, or am I completely missing the point?

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 08:21 AM
link   

IvanAstikov

Have you ever fired a fully automatic rifle? For killing power, ill take semi auto over fully auto any day. 3 round burst...possibly.

But with a single shot, assault style rifle, someone who is a marksman become quite deadly as it becomes a "point and shoot" series of muscle movements. Fully auto....youhave to fight the recoil too much.

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 08:21 AM
link   

riffraff
The AK-47 is the superior weapon.

On this we could agree.

riffraff
7.62 beats 5.56 all day long.

On this we could not. Especially if it's a 7.62X39 fired from an AK-47.

They're tools. Not much different than a surgeon's scalpel. The scalpel does not heal, it cuts.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join