It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Foodstamp Program Shutdown Imminent?

page: 15
<< 12  13  14    16  17 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 20 2013 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Daedalus

there was a time when companies thought about their employees....but that time is long since gone..a shame, i rather liked THAT america...

Really? I think there might have been a few that have come and gone, but typically if you go back in the past things were worst.

posted on Oct, 20 2013 @ 01:01 PM
link   
reply to post by NavyDoc

Well, it seems as if you were pointing out that now, unlike in 1970, that millions of people do not even know how to take care of themselves.

If you want to break it down to the simplest, most generalized terms, then you could take it that way. This is a big picture, however, and it is foolish to try and dumb it down.

What I am REALLY saying is that the overall culture that we live in has changed. Most people do not have the space to grow a garden now, compared to the 70's. Most local butchers have been put out of business by large corporations. Coops hardly exist anymore. THE CULTURE HAS CHANGED. Get it?

The answer is not putting more of a burden on those who still can, but cutting those who can off and forcing themselves to learn how to take care of themselves.
Ahh, to live in a world where it is this black and white.

A great example of another cultural change: There was a time when americans believed in helping their neighbor.

This problem was caused by the "great society."
Yes it was. Famine and starvation is not the way to solve it.

posted on Oct, 20 2013 @ 02:15 PM
link   
Garner community support for both local food banks and community gardens*. Learn how to write grant proposals and/or get started on fundraising. Create your organization, work to end hunger. Bam! So much doom and gloom on this site I thought I would throw in some suggestions on how to improve the situation.

That said, this is a horrible problem to be faced with but there are steps we can take to make it better and dissolve our reliance on government aid at the same time.

*community gardens obviously have the most potential for self sustainability in the effects of an economic collapse and wouldn't require as many regulations or be as reliant on outside donations for food or funding. Your food will also have the added benefit of being real food. Eat organic food, or as your great grandparents called it... FOOD!.

posted on Oct, 20 2013 @ 05:39 PM
link   

captaintyinknots
A great example of another cultural change: There was a time when americans believed in helping their neighbor.

there is a fantastically huge difference between helping one's neighbor, and subsidizing their entire existence, when they are perfectly capable of subsidizing it themselves...surely, you can see this..

people still largely believe in helping those genuinely in need...what they are sick of is lazy parasites, who refuse to earn their way in life...
edit on 20-10-2013 by Daedalus because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2013 @ 07:59 PM
link   

Daedalus

captaintyinknots

there is a fantastically huge difference between helping one's neighbor, and subsidizing their entire existence, when they are perfectly capable of subsidizing it themselves...surely, you can see this..

people still largely believe in helping those genuinely in need...what they are sick of is lazy parasites, who refuse to earn their way in life...
edit on 20-10-2013 by Daedalus because: (no reason given)
Who are these lazy parasites? Who gets to define who they are? How much of the total do they make up of those getting help?

Is someone chasing a career who isnt yet finding success a lazy parasite? Should they say forget it and go for management at mcdonalds?

A side question: How much of the total budget does food and welfare subsidies make up?

See, from my perspective, you are still looking at it small picture. Yes, there are those that are taking advantage of the system. There are many, many more that need the help, and that number is rising exponentially. The question is, why? Why are there so many that no longer grow a garden to help the budget? Why is it illegal in so many places to have a clothes-hanging line to keep electricity down? Why are the vast majority of homes built without a wood burning fire place to subsidize heating?

I fully agree, the goal should be to get the numbers of those needing help down.

But as I side before, flipping a switch on them is not the right way. It boarders on cruel and sadistic.

posted on Oct, 20 2013 @ 11:58 PM
link   

captaintyinknots
Who are these lazy parasites?

able-bodied people who either lie to get disability/hud/food stamps/etc, or have quack doctors write them a laundry list of B.S. conditions, so they can get disability....they CAN work, they just don't WANT to, so they use any excuse they can find to get away with not working...

Who gets to define who they are?

not who, but what...and the answer to that is common sense.

How much of the total do they make up of those getting help?

i honestly don't know...but if where i live is any indication, i'd say it's a hell of a lot...

Is someone chasing a career who isnt yet finding success a lazy parasite? Should they say forget it and go for management at mcdonalds?

if they're employed, then they're obviously trying, so no, they're not parasites....common sense, man..

A side question: How much of the total budget does food and welfare subsidies make up?

I couldn't tell you...

See, from my perspective, you are still looking at it small picture. Yes, there are those that are taking advantage of the system. There are many, many more that need the help, and that number is rising exponentially. The question is, why?

That's not the big picture...that's a completely separate issue....

when it comes to entitlement programs (what a stupid name), and parasites...well, the parasites ARE the big picture...they're a drain on the system...the more parasites you have eating resources, the less resources you have available for people who actually need them...

Why are there so many that no longer grow a garden to help the budget?

because, and i s**t you not...in a lot of places, it's actually illegal to grow gardens...

the other side of it is that most people are either too lazy, too stupid, or too busy to do it..

Why is it illegal in so many places to have a clothes-hanging line to keep electricity down?

i've never heard of it being illegal, but given that it's illegal to grow food in some places, it doesn't surprise me...never underestimate a governing body's capacity to make idiotic laws.....

i'd imagine most people wouldn't hang clothes for one of two reasons....the first being it's horribly inconvenient....in today's "gotta have it now" society, hanging clothes to dry simply takes too long...

the other reason, and it's perfectly valid, would be a fear or concern that their clothes might get stolen...

Why are the vast majority of homes built without a wood burning fire place to subsidize heating?

because people can't appreciate the charm of a fireplace anymore?....because people can't start fires?...because they think smoke smells icky?

in reality, it's probably because it's cheaper to build houses without them....

I fully agree, the goal should be to get the numbers of those needing help down.

But as I side before, flipping a switch on them is not the right way. It boarders on cruel and sadistic

i never advocated cutting EVERYONE off....i advocated re-evaluating who's getting the resources, and cutting off those who don't actually need it...
edit on 21-10-2013 by Daedalus because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2013 @ 08:04 AM
link   

RobinB022
reply to post by Pimpintology

You know I am surprised they didn't kick medicaid immediately, no one takes it the only thing that its good for is a very small list of prescriptions.

I don't know where you are getting your information from, but it's way off as far as Medicaid goes.

I'm getting my information directly from the Doctors, Medicaids website, the MSM and from the people that are on Medicaid. No one takes it here and I live in metroplex. I was told they would lose money. The Doc would get 30 to 40 bucks (depending on field) and by the time he paid an assistant to file the claim he would be losing money so yes I am correct, NO ONE TAKES MEDICAID. They don't go into huge debt and go through years and years of school to lose money. They are there to support themselves. I also have several friends who are doctors here both in psychology psychiatry and an MD. You can however go to a a free clinic and that's exactly what the MSM suggested.

You might want to do some research I already did. However I noticed a lot of people just say whatever they think and do no research. I at least most of the time link articles to my posts. I just assumed (made an a** out of you and me) that you would look it up. It is apparent that people do not and do not care to look it up they just want to believe everything is love and rainbows and that their government loves them.

How about you Google it and save us both the trouble? I did number one result was Forbes.

Attention Medicaid Patients: The Doctor Won't Be Seeing You

But don't stop there there is an endless supply of MSM articles!

However In my area Dallas only about 1% will see you and only if they are taking new patients. You will also most likely be driving 50+ miles 100 round trip. I know I had a relative I needed to take to an MD we gave up and paid the bill to take her to CareNow. Just wasn't worth the trip.

So again NO doctors DO NOT take Medicaid.

posted on Oct, 21 2013 @ 08:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Daedalus

Why should I help my neighbor, when the Govt takes from me before I even get my paycheck and gives it to them.

posted on Oct, 21 2013 @ 08:36 AM
link   
reply to post by captaintyinknots

Yeah, still don't see where it is my financial responsibility to fund others, regardless if they are lazy or just making a career switch, or what ever tear filled sob story you can pitch.

posted on Oct, 21 2013 @ 09:04 AM
link   

captaintyinknots
reply to post by NavyDoc

Well, it seems as if you were pointing out that now, unlike in 1970, that millions of people do not even know how to take care of themselves.

If you want to break it down to the simplest, most generalized terms, then you could take it that way. This is a big picture, however, and it is foolish to try and dumb it down.

What I am REALLY saying is that the overall culture that we live in has changed. Most people do not have the space to grow a garden now, compared to the 70's. Most local butchers have been put out of business by large corporations. Coops hardly exist anymore. THE CULTURE HAS CHANGED. Get it?

The answer is not putting more of a burden on those who still can, but cutting those who can off and forcing themselves to learn how to take care of themselves.
Ahh, to live in a world where it is this black and white.

This problem was caused by the "great society."
Yes it was. Famine and starvation is not the way to solve it.

Yes, the culture has changed and people did believe in helping their neighbor and many people, like myself, still do. The problem the culture has changed from helping yourself and your neighbor to "let the government do it--its the government's job." Thus people have been conditioned, culturally, to not help themselves and this was the idea of the great society form it's onset--to make people dependent on government.

posted on Oct, 21 2013 @ 09:08 AM
link   

Pimpintology

RobinB022
reply to post by Pimpintology

You know I am surprised they didn't kick medicaid immediately, no one takes it the only thing that its good for is a very small list of prescriptions.

I don't know where you are getting your information from, but it's way off as far as Medicaid goes.

I'm getting my information directly from the Doctors, Medicaids website, the MSM and from the people that are on Medicaid. No one takes it here and I live in metroplex. I was told they would lose money. The Doc would get 30 to 40 bucks (depending on field) and by the time he paid an assistant to file the claim he would be losing money so yes I am correct, NO ONE TAKES MEDICAID. They don't go into huge debt and go through years and years of school to lose money. They are there to support themselves. I also have several friends who are doctors here both in psychology psychiatry and an MD. You can however go to a a free clinic and that's exactly what the MSM suggested.

You might want to do some research I already did. However I noticed a lot of people just say whatever they think and do no research. I at least most of the time link articles to my posts. I just assumed (made an a** out of you and me) that you would look it up. It is apparent that people do not and do not care to look it up they just want to believe everything is love and rainbows and that their government loves them.

How about you Google it and save us both the trouble? I did number one result was Forbes.

Attention Medicaid Patients: The Doctor Won't Be Seeing You

But don't stop there there is an endless supply of MSM articles!

However In my area Dallas only about 1% will see you and only if they are taking new patients. You will also most likely be driving 50+ miles 100 round trip. I know I had a relative I needed to take to an MD we gave up and paid the bill to take her to CareNow. Just wasn't worth the trip.

So again NO doctors DO NOT take Medicaid.

A lot of doctors do not take Medicaid and even less will. Not only does reimbursement not cover costs at all, but Medicaid patients tend to be the most non-compliant, most likely to sell or abuse pain meds, most likely to be smokers and/or obese, and most likely to be disruptive and demanding in the clinic. It becomes not really worth the effort, not worth the pain in the rear end. Why is this? Logically, if someone had a better decision making process and made good choices, they wouldn't be on Medicaid...or at least they wouldn't be on Medicaid for long.

posted on Oct, 22 2013 @ 03:32 AM
link   

fenson76
reply to post by nightstalker78

You're a racist idiot. Please don't agree with anything I say. Thank you.

Or the better option is you and your bleeding heart buddies are to sensitive

posted on Oct, 22 2013 @ 12:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Daedalus

able-bodied people who either lie to get disability/hud/food stamps/etc, or have quack doctors write them a laundry list of B.S. conditions, so they can get disability....they CAN work, they just don't WANT to, so they use any excuse they can find to get away with not working...
Do you really think that this makes up a large chunk of foodstamp programs?

not who, but what...and the answer to that is common sense.
Problem is, there is always a who.

i honestly don't know...but if where i live is any indication, i'd say it's a hell of a lot...
You should have just stopped at "i dont know". Anything else you say after that is irrelevant.

if they're employed, then they're obviously trying, so no, they're not parasites....common sense, man..
YOu completely missed the point. What if they arent employed? What if they are an artist that needs help to get by while they hone their craft?

I couldn't tell you...
When complaining about the program, this, and the other question that you failed to answer earlier are fairly important.

That's not the big picture...that's a completely separate issue.... when it comes to entitlement programs (what a stupid name), and parasites...well, the parasites ARE the big picture...they're a drain on the system...the more parasites you have eating resources, the less resources you have available for people who actually need them...
Youre kidding me, right? So the factors that are leading to people needing subsidies are not part of this issue? Only the small percentage of people that are taking advantage of the system?

When you get sick, do you only treat the symptoms and not the virus?

because, and i s**t you not...in a lot of places, it's actually illegal to grow gardens... the other side of it is that most people are either too lazy, too stupid, or too busy to do it..
Which is my point, though the idea that people are too lazy or stupid is a bit out there. Most dont have the space, or the time, or are not allowed to.

i've never heard of it being illegal, but given that it's illegal to grow food in some places, it doesn't surprise me...never underestimate a governing body's capacity to make idiotic laws..... i'd imagine most people wouldn't hang clothes for one of two reasons....the first being it's horribly inconvenient....in today's "gotta have it now" society, hanging clothes to dry simply takes too long... the other reason, and it's perfectly valid, would be a fear or concern that their clothes might get stolen...
Again, just my point.

I feel like you are completely missing what I am saying....

because people can't appreciate the charm of a fireplace anymore?....because people can't start fires?...because they think smoke smells icky? in reality, it's probably because it's cheaper to build houses without them....
No, its because no fireplace=public sourced heating=1 more house tied in to the grid.

i never advocated cutting EVERYONE off....i advocated re-evaluating who's getting the resources, and cutting off those who don't actually need it...
And I am advocating figuring out what the problem really is.

posted on Oct, 22 2013 @ 12:08 PM
link   

macman
reply to post by captaintyinknots

Yeah, still don't see where it is my financial responsibility to fund others, regardless if they are lazy or just making a career switch, or what ever tear filled sob story you can pitch.

Fair enough, I give you credit for at least owning it.

You ARE, however, a fine example of the cultural shift I am speaking of.

(post by OSULOPPERS removed for a manners violation)

posted on Oct, 22 2013 @ 12:12 PM
link   
reply to post by NavyDoc

Yes, the culture has changed and people did believe in helping their neighbor and many people, like myself, still do. The problem the culture has changed from helping yourself and your neighbor to "let the government do it--its the government's job." Thus people have been conditioned, culturally, to not help themselves and this was the idea of the great society form it's onset--to make people dependent on government.
Which is pretty much my point. We need to shift, culturally, back to being more self sufficient. It is possible. But it cant happen overnight. And simply cutting off a large number of people and saying "figure it out" is a cruel way to do it.

Look, I get it. From a selfish (and I dont use that term in a derogatory way, everyone is selfish to a degree), it makes sense to say "Why is it MY job to help that person" or "why should I have to do it".

I would contend, however, that this is the biggest problem with our country today. People do everything based on whats good for them, personally, and not for society as a whole. Voters vote selfishly, politicians act selfishly, parents act selfishly....its the way of america now.

And it will be our downfall.

posted on Oct, 22 2013 @ 12:14 PM
link   
If this happens, it sure will weed out the ones that are taking advantage of the situation. Those people deserve to be cut off. The ones that need it? I hope America is as caring as they say. With rational thought and a willingness to come together, people can grow their own food.

Do I believe this can happen? Yes.
Do I believe it would ever happen? On a small scale yes.

On a large scale you will see Katrina style looting and general misbehaviour. We are a society of "me first" people. Glad I live in a small town.

posted on Oct, 22 2013 @ 12:15 PM
link   
reply to OSULOPPERS
Man, what a great example of the fine intellect that resides around here.

Where did I ever say I couldnt feed my family? Where did I even say I had a family?

Pencil neck? Wow, I havent heard that since the late 80's.

Now, what about the guy who lost a leg on a construction job? How much of a loser is he? Or the person who got shot and paralyzed? Or the person who simply got let go from a job because they moved oversees?

They are all losers?

Naw...but there are plenty of 'losers' about, Ill give you that.
edit on 22-10-2013 by captaintyinknots because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 22 2013 @ 12:16 PM
link   

superman2012
If this happens, it sure will weed out the ones that are taking advantage of the situation. Those people deserve to be cut off. The ones that need it? I hope America is as caring as they say. With rational thought and a willingness to come together, people can grow their own food.

Do I believe this can happen? Yes.
Do I believe it would ever happen? On a small scale yes.

On a large scale you will see Katrina style looting and general misbehaviour. We are a society of "me first" people. Glad I live in a small town.

Quoted for truth and logic.

Thing is, though, I keep hearing about all of these people taking advantage of the system, yet no one who makes the claims will provide numbers.

I would LOVE to see how much of the entirety of the program they make up.

edit on 22-10-2013 by captaintyinknots because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 22 2013 @ 12:21 PM
link   
reply to post by superman2012

Coming to a town near you. If they don't get there free s#0$ they are instantly going to tear up anything they see. Its the mentality of savages I live in a city full of them . Cleveland. U nworthy Welfare degenerates that destroyed the entire city completely trashed it. Not the familys that it was intended for. These scum drive brand new Mercedes and you can just tell by the dumb look on there face ,they don't have a brain cell in there head. All been pumped up for internal war between the entitlement class and the slave workers. Get ready.

top topics

<< 12  13  14    16  17 >>

join