It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Foodstamp Program Shutdown Imminent?

page: 17
<< 14  15  16   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 12:11 PM
link   
reply to post by captaintyinknots

I believe that the issue of illness, especially stomach related, has to do with unclean drinking water, and less about malnourishment. And how waste is disposed of.

With the introduction of a stomach bug, food in the body is expelled at a fast rate, so it leads to malnourishment. No amount of food will cure it.

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 12:22 PM
link   

macman

I believe that the issue of illness, especially stomach related, has to do with unclean drinking water, and less about malnourishment. And how waste is disposed of.

With the introduction of a stomach bug, food in the body is expelled at a fast rate, so it leads to malnourishment. No amount of food will cure it.

The synergistic relationship between malnutrition and infectious diseases is now well accepted and has been conclusively demonstrated in animal experiments. The simultaneous presence of both malnutrition and infection results in an interaction that has more serious consequences for the host than the additive effect would be if the two worked independently. Infections make malnutrition worse and poor nutrition increases the severity of infectious diseases.

Some of the normal defence mechanisms of the body are impaired and do not function properly in the malnourished subject. For example, children with kwashiorkor were shown to be unable to form antibodies to either typhoid vaccine or diphtheria toxoid; their capacity to do so was restored after protein therapy. Similarly, children with protein malnutrition have an impaired antibody response to inoculation with yellow fever vaccine. An inhibition of the agglutinating response to cholera antigen has been reported in children with kwashiorkor and nutritional marasmus. These studies provide a fairly clear indication that the malnourished body has a reduced ability to defend itself against infection.

portals.wi.wur.nl...

We're getting pretty off track here, but i thought people may find this a good read

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 12:31 PM
link   

I get that. But, malnourishment doesn't cause illness anymore then going out in cold weather causes a cold.

It aids the illness enter the body and reproduce.

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 12:33 PM
link   

macman

I get that. But, malnourishment doesn't cause illness anymore then going out in cold weather causes a cold.

It aids the illness enter the body and reproduce.
You're absolutely right, and maybe i didnt articulate myself very well, because that is pretty much my point.

Malnourishment doesnt cause illness, but illness and disease are far more prevalent where poverty and famine are rampant. Not to mention, those are also the areas where new bugs tend to pop up.

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Scurvy is directly related to diet. Lack of vitamin c. Rickets directly related to lack of vitamin d. These are malnutrition caused disease. They are caused by malnutrition.

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 01:33 PM
link   
reply to post by AutumnWitch657

Yes, yes they are. I understand what you are saying.

posted on Oct, 25 2013 @ 03:45 PM
link   

AutumnWitch657

Scurvy is directly related to diet. Lack of vitamin c. Rickets directly related to lack of vitamin d. These are malnutrition caused disease. They are caused by malnutrition.
I gotcha, we are just having a disconnect on what we are each stating.

Like I said, I agree that there arent many communicable diseases CAUSED by malnutrition. However, disease and illness in the communicable forms DO thrive in areas with high rates of malnutrition.

Point being, it IS still a health threat.

posted on Oct, 27 2013 @ 11:15 PM
link   
reply to post by nightstalker78

I wish America was pathetic but the problem is we are apathetic!

posted on Oct, 28 2013 @ 09:02 AM
link   
So, I loved Saturday night.
Going from a family outing, back to my business/shop, went to the local Walmart Downtown. Waited in line for 15 minutes, behind and around all illegal families.
I truly loved seeing people with carts filled to the brim with crap and having each family make 2 different transactions. First was items like prepackaged beef, cheese and stuff, all paid with this State provided EBT card. Second transaction was items like beer, soda, candy and all sorts of junk food, all paid for by cash. All people wearing nicer clothes then I.

I really love working 15 weeks out of the year to provided these people with the means to buy all that crap.

Yeah Welfare system. Making things "fair" since 1935.

posted on Oct, 31 2013 @ 12:58 PM
link   
Heads Up! No Farm Bill passed and tomorrow is November 1, 2013

Email from SNAP (posted earlier in thread)

Dear Ms.XXXX,

Thank you for your message. USDA is hopeful that Congress will provide an appropriation prior to the end of October. We continue to monitor the situation closely and will stay in close coordination with our State partners with respect to program operations in October and beyond.

While October benefits are fully funded, we appreciate that you are concerned about future operations in the context of a continuing lapse. At this point, USDA has not instructed States to withhold November benefits from participants.

A recent letter to States regarding November issuance files deals with an automated transmission between States and EBT vendors that could happen as early as October 15th, not with the issuance of November benefits. Based on the current uncertainty, USDA has directed States to hold November issuance files in order to preserve maximum flexibility as we consider possible options should the lapse in funding continue.

FNS will continue to work with our States and appreciates their continued support in responding to information requests that will assist us in determining the ultimate course of action. Again, thank you for your message.

Sincerely,
Jessica Shahin
Associate Administrator Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program Food and Nutrition Service US Department of Agriculture

I just sent this woman another email asking about updates for the November funds. Will pass anything she sends me along.

posted on Oct, 31 2013 @ 02:31 PM
link   
Email response:

Ms.XXXX,

This is in follow-up to your previous inquiry as well as the one below. As you may already know, Congress passed and the President signed into law on October 16 a continuing resolution to fund federal programs through January 15, 2014. Congress will now begin the work of establishing a full year budget for federal operations.

SNAP benefits will be issued and available to clients. FNS will continue to work with our State partners to administer nutrition programs and ensure access to food assistance to those in need.

Thanks,

Jessica Shahin Associate Administrator Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) Food and Nutrition Service US Department of Agriculture

posted on Nov, 19 2013 @ 10:55 AM
link   
I didnt mean to start a debate but I mean this is high school science right? You need a proper nutritional diet to maintain a healthy lifestyle. Without proper nutrition the immune system suffers, this leads to illness, sickness, spreading disease. Its not some wild conspiracy its just basic science.

(P.S.- Sickness and disease in EVERY country always has and always will kill more people than any war or terrorist attack, numbers dont lie, its not something debatable, it just is what it is. Food is just as much a part of any countries defense as the military, eat food and help save the world. xD)

Personally and this is my personal opinion as opposed to the above facts, I dont care if people are able bodied or can work but choose not to. If their too lazy to work or figure out how to care for themselves Id support food stamps, feeding tubes, or whatever to keep outbreaks from happening.
edit on 19-11-2013 by tigpoppa because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2013 @ 09:01 PM
link   

trex1980

webedoomed

trex1980
reply to post by gemdog

you need to get up off your arse and get a job ,

Interesting. What part of his post indicated that he doesn't have a job? I can't see it.

You do realize that millions of Americans both have jobs, and are on foodstamps just to get by... correct?

I'm just wondering if your post was a simple mistake out of ignorance, or if you're being a troll.

Sorry Im from Canada , social assistance works quite different here , I am truly sorry If i have offended you .

Here fraud is quite rampant when it comes to Welfare and social programs of any sort .

Here it either you work or you are on welfare , you cant work and have both , nor are there any supplements

Ive always had a job (or jobs), and worked in the mental health field until my back gave out to where I cant do much of anything. I worked in direct residential care for Severely Emotionally Disabled children and adults. This occupation often requires a lot of physical interaction (safely restraining clients from violent behavior, being on your feet all day, very long hours, etc). I am going through several surgeries and most likely will be on disability. Getting off my arse sounds awesome.

top topics

<< 14  15  16   >>

join