It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

There are only two super geniuses of science that I am aware of

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 10 2013 @ 12:30 AM
link   
reply to post by mikegrouchy

Don't forget about threesomes. Recall that Rosalind Franklin's research in DNA using x-ray diffraction helped Watson & Crick to finally figure out the structure of DNA.

posted on Oct, 10 2013 @ 12:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Broom

Isaac Newton was perhaps the greatest genius to ever live.

Certainly in contention with Lavoisier and Einstein, agreed. Interestingly, he probably died a virgin.

But how, I wonder, does one comparatively measure genius?

posted on Oct, 10 2013 @ 07:29 PM
link   

Yes I know it is like the fate of almost all super geniuses to die before there awesome super genius ideas take off.

However he forgot one thing in his conception of sliced bread, while the invention of sliced bread may be great indeed. The invention of the concept of sliced bread need's be precede it, or else how will people know just how great it is? Duh!
Can you imagine it, people back then were ripping there bread to eat it or cutting it like common savages, before the wonder bread company told them just how wrong they were going about it.

And now? When you make a sandwich you can skip the cutting part all together...Truly genius, it saves at the very least a minute or two. It's much more genius then that guy who saw an apple fall and concluded that things fall down. I mean duh!! Things have only been falling down for a very long long time on this planet, you would think they wold figured it out ages ago. What was his name anyways? Could never remember it.

But yes your idea of doing science in pairs just may be a pretty brilliant one, however it does have its flaws. Such as the fact that even the most loving couple in the world would not want to spend all day and night together all the time. It is not feasible, not without going a bit crazy and all kinds of things.

You may have to consider that the way it is today is because it just may be the most optimal. A sad fact I know, but the key to a good relationship is not spending to much time together. The other being to be as ignorant as possible about your partners little quirks which you just cant stand among other things. And well lets just say ignorance and not looking to deep at things is the glue which hold together our relationships. And the other...no comment.

But lets just say that after all even Einstein failed much at relationships. And though he would in no way qualify as a supper genius he was at least competent in his field.
edit on 10-10-2013 by galadofwarthethird because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 01:53 AM
link   

galadofwarthethird

But yes your idea of doing science in pairs just may be a pretty brilliant one, however it does have its flaws. Such as the fact that even the most loving couple in the world would not want to spend all day and night together all the time. It is not feasible, not without going a bit crazy and all kinds of things.

You may have to consider that the way it is today is because it just may be the most optimal. A sad fact I know, but the key to a good relationship is not spending to much time together. The other being to be as ignorant as possible about your partners little quirks which you just cant stand among other things. And well lets just say ignorance and not looking to deep at things is the glue which hold together our relationships. And the other...no comment.

Only for relationships based on a lie.

Which modern society and the expectations
placed on couples pretty much are.

Time doesn't exist for two people in love of the truth together.

Mike

edit on 11-10-2013 by mikegrouchy because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 02:21 AM
link   

Married Army scientists bolster biological-threat detection

"What I really like about working with Mark is the reason that he and I became such good friends before we got married," Jody said. "He is just a great sounding board. He is always the person I would go to when I had issues in the laboratory.

They are working on biohazard level 3 living organisms,
and developing a DNA extraction kit that will streamline
the bio-detection process.

Mike

edit on 11-10-2013 by mikegrouchy because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 11:05 AM
link   

Have you ever sustained a relationship for more than, say, a year or two, Mr. Grouchy? Not a polite question, I know, but given your words quoted above, it really has to be asked, lest inexperienced folk believe there is any truth in them.

All relationships that survive starry-eyed youth are based, not on a lie, but on careful management of the truth. Nobody is perfect and no two souls fit together exactly. Knowing when to keep quiet, as well as when to keep your eyes, ears and even your nose shut, are essential skills for any long-term partnership, particularly a sexual one.

I will hazard a guess and say that you probably have never been married yourself. People who have been married — meaning, shared their lives and beds with another person for many years — will know exactly why I say this. I'm afraid your thread is based on a very mistaken conception of the dynamics of married life.

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 12:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Astyanax

I will hazard a guess and say that you probably have never been married yourself. People who have been married — meaning, shared their lives and beds with another person for many years — will know exactly why I say this. I'm afraid your thread is based on a very mistaken conception of the dynamics of married life.

I do agree in the twelfth year of my third marriage, as I am reminded
of Robert Mitchums response to this question asked of him shortly
before he died. A late night talk show host asked, " How is it Robert,
you seem to be one of the only movie giants, to ever have a marriage
out last his career in Hollywood?" I remember how quick his response
was when he said straight away, " DEVIOUSNESS ".
edit on 11-10-2013 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 10:07 PM
link   

Which modern society and the expectations placed on couples pretty much are.

Say what? OK! Is that assuming that both you and her are perfect creatures, and godly beings to boot, as time will somehow magically cease to exist in both of your presences. Not to mention the hundreds or thousands of other nuances which seem to go into any relationship.

A truly impressive theory you have there.

But I have a better one.

OK!... First! Its quite obvious your a crazy person, and probably may have sniffed a bit to much chloroform, or swallowed some sodium cyanide and are not thinking clearly.

But hey listen, and since were on the subject of make believe. I have thought about it, and its quite obvious, that nothing exists till you create it.... Right?...Ya off-course I'm right. Duh! And so! The only next logical conclusion is to make a super sentient computer program and then you both can get freaky doing magical science together.

Yup! Its like the only logical conclusion to this dilemma.

I even have model for you to base it on. Oh ya! You probably guessed it...GlaDOS she may have been a bit crazy in that portal game, trying to kill you and stuff and constantly trying to fill you full of neurotoxins for your own good. But when it comes to doing science there are none better, definitely no stinky flesh and blood female can compare, or ever hope to achieve even 19% of the science that GlaDOS is.

And no doubt those "kill" bugs can be worked out.

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 10:24 PM
link   

Astyanax

Have you ever sustained a relationship for more than, say, a year or two, Mr. Grouchy? Not a polite question, I know, but given your words quoted above, it really has to be asked, lest inexperienced folk believe there is any truth in them.

All relationships that survive starry-eyed youth are based, not on a lie, but on careful management of the truth. Nobody is perfect and no two souls fit together exactly. Knowing when to keep quiet, as well as when to keep your eyes, ears and even your nose shut, are essential skills for any long-term partnership, particularly a sexual one.

Does twenty two years acting as a marriage counselor count?

Couples yelling and arguing are my specialty. "Do you know
why couples yell and argue" I say to them, or either one of
them. "It's because they are still learning how to pay
attention to each other." I then go on to explain and cite
examples of how people treat each other in different ways
but sometimes they are very serious, and it takes a while
to learn joking, anger, sarcasm, satire, and cynicism from
serious, genuine, and curious. One can cut this develop-
ment phase short by paying closer attention to the other.

The world is a messed up place, and modern western
society is no exception to that. Yet from the quote
above I'm left with the impression that the very broken
institution of marriage is being cited as an example of
how I am wrong. A-priori, before I even dared to speak.

Shocking isn't it.

Mike

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 10:31 PM
link   

randyvs
reply to post by Astyanax

I do agree in the twelfth year of my third marriage, as I am reminded
of Robert Mitchums response to this question asked of him shortly
before he died. A late night talk show host asked, " How is it Robert,
you seem to be one of the only movie giants, to ever have a marriage
out last his career in Hollywood?" I remember how quick his response
was when he said straight away, " DEVIOUSNESS ".

Many people have to try a few marriages before they get the hang
of it. Nothing wrong with that. It comes down to how one leaves
things with them. I'm often confronted with people who go through
terrible break ups. "Why is it" I ask my patients "that people can't
just put in a two weeks notice at work, and leave gracefully, why
do they always have to start an argument with someone" They
look at me with narrow eyes, fully aware that I'm not really speaking
about work, but relationships. "It's because we live in a consumer
society, and many times it is easier to justify an upgrade if the
previous model was broken."

When Mitchum says "Deviousness" he is repeating the consumerist
mantra. "I bought the new I-pad for ME! Because It's what I want.
And I'll lie to get it."

Shocking isn't it.

Mike

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 10:35 PM
link   

galadofwarthethird

Say what? OK! Is that assuming that both you and her are perfect creatures, and godly beings to boot, as time will somehow magically cease to exist in both of your presences. Not to mention the hundreds or thousands of other nuances which seem to go into any relationship.

What is wrong with being perfect.

When did perfect become a dirty word.

There was an age, in this country, when perfect
was something to aspire too. That ideal was
conditioned out of society around the same era
that it was decided that planned obsolescence
was good for business. No longer could any
product be perfect, and passed down from
generation to generation.

Shocking isn't it.

Mike

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 10:41 PM
link   

galadofwarthethird

I even have model for you to base it on. Oh ya! You probably guessed it...GlaDOS she may have been a bit crazy in that portal game, trying to kill you and stuff and constantly trying to fill you full of neurotoxins for your own good. But when it comes to doing science there are none better, definitely no stinky flesh and blood female can compare, or ever hope to achieve even 19% of the science that GlaDOS is.

And no doubt those "kill" bugs can be worked out.

posted on Oct, 11 2013 @ 11:54 PM
link   

And I'll lie to get it."

I gotta tell ya, the place just fell out.
And that became the standard answer to
any question put to the remaining guests.
I remember that being one of the funniest
nights on T.V. I'd seen in a very long time.
And the audience reaction had everything
to do with it. And Mitchum, suddenly wasn't
just a great all time actor. He displayed a
real talent for showmanship leaving the audience
puzzled in paradoxes that relate directly to
your above quote. And tormented for the rest
of their lives by the one obvious question that
he never came close to answering even tho it
was clearly the one question people were
screaming on the inside for him to answer.
That being: Didn't you just rat yourself off
to your wife ? Any way.

Any way, to answer your question.

Deviousness.

posted on Oct, 12 2013 @ 10:44 AM
link   
Here is some anecdotal evidence from a blog
post by a woman who wonders out loud
An interesting thought about gender and little kids based on personal observation.

A common thing to show women's suppression is to have a little girl who wants to play with the boys but is pushed away or made the princess to be rescued by the boys.

This doesn't make sense to me in light of mine and my friends' experiences. I remember a few times in first grade I played with the boys. One time we got in trouble because we were playing archeologist just off the pavement we were allowed to play on, another time I played Batman with them. I didn't know who Batman was or who any of the other heroes or villains were so the boys gave me a hero and let me run around chasing the Joker and his minions with them. They didn't care that I was a girl, they were just happy to have someone to run around with.

So I guess I don't understand why young boys are shown to be sexist when my own overwhelming experience has shown that they just want a playmate, they don't care about the playmate's gender. In fact, if anything, I've noticed that many of my female classmates were the sexist ones. They wouldn't let boys play with them because "boys ruin everything" and "boys can't play Barbies/house/paint/make art". I've also noticed that boys behave in kind if a young girl treated them that way and only toward that girl. My sister and I always got to play with the boys because we always let the boys play with us, the boys would help us because we helped the boys.

I agree it's not the young girls who are the perpetrators, it's often older men or jaded older women. My parents and the parents they hang out with (whom I love talking with, they're seriously an interesting group of adults, two ceramic engineers (who are married to each other), two rocket scientists (who are married to each other), two people who work making dentist supplies (both male), and a hand full of stay at home moms), don't really discuss gender roles. In fact I never really thought about gender roles or how very few of my friends or their parents actually fit any sort of exact gender role (other than being called mom and dad) until I got a tumblr and saw people complaining about it.

edit on 12-10-2013 by mikegrouchy because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2013 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Perfection is Perfected.

Second.

posted on Oct, 12 2013 @ 05:27 PM
link   

As the tittle says! Thirteen tales of love and revenge. Three wishes, one to fly the heavens, one to swim like fishes, and one your saving for a rainy day. And yet! all three eventually leading to dead ends.

As you know doubt know this game of love has been played out many times. What I am saying is your not the only one to come up with this brilliant idea. As Einstein once said, doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results would qualify as insanity. If it has all the qualifications and parameters and definitions of insanity under any other parameter, well what would it be?...It could just be a bad idea. It could just be that like many other people you fell in love with the idea of falling in love.

But hey! Insanity or love! Either way you know.
Its all magical science.

posted on Oct, 12 2013 @ 11:53 PM
link   

galadofwarthethird

As you know doubt know this game of love has been played out many times. What I am saying is your not the only one to come up with this brilliant idea. As Einstein once said, doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results would qualify as insanity. If it has all the qualifications and parameters and definitions of insanity under any other parameter, well what would it be?...It could just be a bad idea. It could just be that like many other people you fell in love with the idea of falling in love.

Untold generations of genius have
died alone, unloved, and this is
what is offered as justification?

Poetry, and pithy comebacks.

Mike

posted on Oct, 13 2013 @ 12:09 AM
link   
Married Engineers Launch Delta Rockets

Christina and Rodney Davignon .

When he found out she was a vegetarian
he plied her with animal crackers.

Video interview at the link.

Mike

posted on Oct, 13 2013 @ 12:17 AM
link   

One day, about (exactly) a year ago, we got the bright idea to go to the courthouse and get married. I put on a tux and she put on her best spring dress. We left our Nerd House(tm) at 11:35 am in a loaner Audi A4 (because Janel dropped her car off for an oil change). This is what engineers do... they combine errands, as in "let's get an oil change and married."

ThisNerdHouse / Has it been a year already?

Some people don't know it can't be done,
or that all right-thinking-people know
that it is impossible, and they do it anyway.

Mike

posted on Oct, 13 2013 @ 02:37 AM
link   

While every married couple’s dynamic might be considered unique, Ms. Diller and Mr. Scofidio are representative of a broad trend of husband-and-wife collaboration that is changing the traditional definition of architecture partnerships.

The list of couples is growing, as architects break off from big firms to go into business with their spouses. Dan Wood and Amale Andraos. J. Meejin Yoon and Eric Höweler. Mimi Hoang and Eric Bunge. Diana Agrest and Mario Gandelsonas. Laura Briggs and Jonathan Knowles

How to become a famous Architect / Number 24. / Marry an Architect

What do they know,
that we don't?

Mike

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join